Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Re:CREATORS is streaming through Amazon's Anime Strike service, unfortunately.

Remember when it used to be Funimation? Man have the standards fallen.

I will still be watching this show because holy gently caress was that an incredible opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It has what sounds like exactly the same soundtrack as Aldnoah Zero.

I'm curious to see where the plot goes. Is this woman the main character in the anime he watches or is she the love interest of the main character?

Sawano soundtracks tend to feel pretty samey. But definitely good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i was sold when after all of the life-threatening action happened, the main character and his two fictional anime buddies went to the convenience store and bought a huge basket of potato chips and candy

I love how he was basically in shock the whole time.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Now they've got me thinking "What would happen if they magiced characters from X show into their world?"

Fun examples:

Gurren Lagaan
Welcome to the NHK
Fate/Zero

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like lupin wouldn't give a gently caress. He'd just keep stealing poo poo.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I'd have it so the anime character realizes the author is just another human being living in a confusing world and wrote his story to work out his own issues.

Yeah it would be cool if the cast of Eva met Anno in real life.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Man this is so much fun to watch! I can't tell you how long I've wanted to see someone make this story concept work and it's just as awesome as I could ever dream it being.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

I'm glad Magical Mary finally gets to appear in an anime.

Is the whole thing as fun as this page? Because I would go read that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Demicol posted:

He's in the ED so I'd assume he will be in frequently.

My guess as well. I'm guessing that the brown haired girl in the ED that we haven't seen yet is also another creator, probably Meteora's.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

"He's just the narrator. The story is actually hers.", aren't they opening lines in episode 1? They never specified who is being referred to here.

It's pretty obvious who the "he" is but still somewhat ambiguous who the "her" is. My first thought was Selesia but she seems no more important to the plot than the other fictional characters. It's most likely gonna end up being the suicide girl since she has absolutely no other connection to the plot thus far.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I get what you mean, but you need to have speculative exposition at some point or it will seem like the characters aren't trying to address this situation at all.

This is also an Ei Aoki show, where slow and steady build up is how things work. This has been pretty much a less-edgy Fate/Zero so far.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think she changed her mind after being smashed into the ground that hard.

Also MG girl is basically lobbing bombs relentlessly, there's not much Selesia could do.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mirage posted:

I'm the first person in this thread to call this "Drawn Together: Japan Edition"? Really? Okay then.

I too am having a lot of fun and hope they don't get too dark with this. You know, besides the opening suicide scene. But because of that I can also see this going pretty Madoka-y if that's what they have in mind. Here's hoping they stay more on the goofy side.

I very highly doubt this is gonna go full Urobuchi, but I do think this is gonna be a more cerebral take than normal anime.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, not the best episode. Pretty slow and not much payoff. Also it's still not really clear what the show wants to do with its setup. There isn't much of a motive for either side to really push things forward.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

I don't know why the magic horse makes motorcycle sounds, but it's fine by me.

She's actually the long-lost sister of the Dullahan in Durarara.

Darox posted:

It was pretty silly how they established that Selesia is not affected by the LNs not yet adapted into her anime (LNs written by the author, illustrated by the artist, and presumably read by thousands of fans) and then expected anything to change when the author wrote a new paragraph.

Part of why this episode didn't sit as well with me. There was a few things where characters drew not-entirely-reasonable conclusions, but I just kinda said, "Sure lets go with that." I really just want the show to finish up with establishing its baselines and start developing the plot.

Sindai posted:

The fictional characters bringing up how tastes and smells are muted in their worlds because they're under described in the media is a clever touch.

Yeah I like these touches.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 23, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm usually the guy who wants the show to calm down and have more nuanced moments. But in this case, I'm the guy asking them to shut up and start doing poo poo already. That was a whole episode of people repeating themselves or over-elaborating and it was incredibly boring to sit through.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

yeah i love seeing the exact same food scenes 2 times per episode while endless badly directed exposition happens. the show treats the audience like idiots, and people loving it is the least surprising thing ever. at least it proves the boredom that was fate zero wasn't urobochis fault, cause this is the exact same trash

Except I generally found Fate/Zero dialogue exposition to be interesting enough to keep me going. Here I'm just bored out of my mind.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

I enjoyed the jaw-jaw, it felt appropriate for people trying to sort out just wtf is going on.

There are definitely ways to present this that are more interesting than an entire episode of monotonous dialogue. There's also not that much to be said, at the end of the day.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

The writers know it's monotonous, which is why they have these food montages while she's explaining stuff.

Wait, I think you mean the other way around, because this seems more like a case of an animation director getting the script from the writers and being like "We have to animate this!?" and deciding to have some fancy food shots to give viewers something to look at while they get lectured to for ten minutes.

A good writer would have cut the script down to half of that, and a good director... well we're talking about Ei Aoki who apparently loves that kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah. I actually liked the substance of Meteora's experience, I just wish they could have found any other way to deliver it to the viewer than a monologue.

Agreed, and what I've said like 5 times already.

This was a case of good ideas ruined by bad writing and direction.

• Locked thread