Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Darox posted:

It was pretty silly how they established that Selesia is not affected by the LNs not yet adapted into her anime (LNs written by the author, illustrated by the artist, and presumably read by thousands of fans) and then expected anything to change when the author wrote a new paragraph.

The writer wasn't in the room when they noted that she was from the anime, not the novels, and everyone else is dumb and didn't connect the dots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The writers know it's monotonous, which is why they have these food montages while she's explaining stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say there's at least one glaring exception. The milquetoast everyteen is definitely not showing his value.

Everyone else, even though I'm not particularly gung-ho for the show in general right now, has some dynamics that show promise if the show can either get past the endless exposition or play it out smoother, light novel writer and illustrator included. Sōta Mizushino, on the other hand, is just a boring void. We're four episodes in. By this point, there should be enough of a hook to justify his existence, even if he's just being set up for a twist later. He's almost completely empty of screentime, and he hasn't even earned the tiny bit he's still getting!

Actually, the entire show seems to be a metaphor about getting him out of his artistic slump and into creating again. I'm not sure that makes his presence worthwhile, but the way I see it the show is ultimately about him and only him. Everyone else is just there to inspire him.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

That's about as far from an argument in the show's favor as you get before moving to outright insults.

Well, yeah. I didn't say it was a good thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/hiroerei/status/858334736975970304

The writer apologizes for making the episode too talky.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am glad that shark-tooth girl is a Nisio character, as expected.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm sure you're making a "overly talky" joke, but I'm talking about the specific things she talks about, not to mention her weird language-based power. She'd be right at home in Medaka Box.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, now I actually am not sure what you're talking about.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanos posted:

It's pretty rare that a perspective character hasn't managed to justify their existence by episode 7 of their show. I get that he's not meant to be the actual protagonist, but christ, the fat dude managed to figure out a huge portion of the secret Sota is sitting on by doing searches on Nico. I'm sure the big twist is something like he helped Suicide Girl create Altair or something along those lines, but when he suffered his little crisis of confidence he tucked her away and Suicide Girl took it badly. It would explain why he's so ridiculously whiny about his art and also why he's afraid to tell anyone this staggeringly important and useful information.

They probably should've translated the comments he flashes back to, but basically he got flamed real bad in response to making the drawing (they call him a dumb NEET and a plagiarist and all that). He obviously stopped drawing because of that. That's probably also why Suicide Girl committed suicide.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Why does the grizzled old man who fights with a gun have the ability to fly? This seems fundamentally wrong to me, genre-wise. I mean, yeah, sci-fi, but not everyone needs to fly in fiction! Selesia flying is already kind of weird since she doesn't seem to use magic or anything!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it's not that it's implausible that he'd be able to fly with technology in a sci-fi setting, it's implausible that whoever wrote him would've given him that power, given the genre. Maybe Dresden could fly, but he doesn't fly because the writer never felt the need to make him fly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Anyway, I just find it really weird that more characters than not can fly. Magical girls and wizards? Sure, why not? A knight with a flying horse? Cool. Flying... magic-knight kinda person? A bit weird, but I can accept it. Whatever the hell Altair is? Okay. Flying grizzled old gunman? Now that's just a step too far. That leaves three people who we haven't seen casually flying around (Jojo, mecha pilot, and word-power user), and I'm pretty sure all of them will fly by the end of the show, because their power sets certainly allow it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The point of her wackiness is to keep the audience on their toes around her. You're always waiting for the moment where she suddenly kills whoever she's talking to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HenryEx posted:

I'm still not really sure how Mag's power works or what exactly it even does. The only thing i'm kinda confident on is "it runs on spite".

She says something that's clearly untrue and gets you to call it it a lie or nonsense or whatever. The act of denying the lie triggers her magic and makes it come true.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nielsm posted:

I'm thinking it has to do with seeding doubt in the target whether it may actually be true or not, and then she can "extract a reality" from the doubt/fear.

I doubt it. In both cases so far the other person seemed to not take it seriously at all, not to mention her weird, ritualized "double lie" thing she says. As I mentioned earlier, I'm thinking of her as a pastiche of a Nisio character, and overpowered reality-warping puns are right in his ballpark.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I dunno, it does feel hilariously contrived to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Mamika aside, Alice has shown herself to be completely hateful of the creators, she loathes the real world, and is kind of running off the emotion of her closest friend in this reality dying horribly.

She has no real reason to suspect Altair did this either, because her only context for Altair's behavior has been her own experiences so far.

I can see why she's willing to believe the worst about Meteora.

That's... not in question at all. Meteora was already her enemy as far as she's concerned, so this isn't even a twist, from Alice's perspective, just another tragedy in a sequence of tragedies. What I was talking about was Mamika spending her last breath to tell Alice to listen to Magane, even though it would've taken just as much time to tell Alice the truth herself ("Altair did this"). I mean, sure, blood loss, but the whole situation seems incredibly contrived, possibly because the series would end immediately if all the characters were honest with each other.

Which, incidentally, seems to be Magane's role in this whole thing. She extends the series by creating arbitrary mid-season conflict.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 4, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Iretep posted:

shes the plot exposition npc from a mmo. of course she pulls knowledge out of her rear end.

I got the impression it was more of an Etrian Odyssey type game. How would Meteora have beaten it in one night if it were an MMO anyway?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Archer666 posted:

So Alice is probably gonna die when she finds out Magane bullshitted her and tries to impale her, right? Cause of the curse that Magane put on her regarding killing herself with that spear.

Good point. It should be a permanent effect, so it's still around. I'm guessing Alice is going to kill Meteora first though, or else this episode was entirely pointless.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, it's slightly different because now she's gunning especially for Meteora, instead of Selestia or anyone else. But you're right in that it certainly wouldn't have been unusual for Meteora to die in battle with Alice anyway.

Actually, that was kind of another contrived thing. Why in the world would Mamika have singled out Meteora?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanos posted:

(Altair has some sort of operational limit to her ridiculous god mode powers)

The impression I got from her dialog was that it wasn't specifically due to her powers, just that when the apocalypse she's trying to cause occurs, she'll be the first one to go because she's the weakest link in reality at the moment. So her plan is to hold off on causing any more reality distortions until she can make a huge push all at once. Like how when a faultline builds up a lot of tension, the next earthquake is a lot larger.

• Locked thread