Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i was worried that this was going to take itself too seriously

but rather, it is evidently enjoying itself

i think i'm gonna like this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
it is an anime about anime, it would be weird if it was less anime

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
chumbler what the hell happened to your av

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
here's what I think about Meteora's long-winded exposition about what's going on that isn't rooted in much in the way of evidence at all:

she's full of poo poo

but she's convincing at being full of poo poo, and now at this point she has a substantial number of summoned heroes and the goddamn Japanese military going along with it. in some way she's not on the level and this is in service to what she's looking to have happen here. I don't think that's what gunsaber girl is trying to do whatsoever but Meteora has a reason for taking her down - of our non-antagonist cast she's the one who talked with that girl the most

and if this anime is good our hero will tell everyone what the gently caress is going on with that girl next goddamn episode

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
thankfully, this show had the best opportunity to make a recap episode something interesting, and they pretty much nailed it

you basically couldn't do a recap episode any better without making it not actually a recap episode

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so...

I think one newbie's from some kind of Romance of Three Kingdoms kind of deal, but is the other girl...some kind of dating sim character??

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Honestly this would've worked fine as a 12-ep if they gave someone the axe

and right now I'm thinking that it's Yuya they should've cut out of the show entirely. He hasn't really added anything narratively, for the most part he's just been 'someone for Blitz to fight'. ...so when he comes across his main 'rival' in the latest episode it was almost funny how I didn't really care that much tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Part of me wonders if that's explicitly the point

like, to some degree, this show is about contradictions and hypocrisy, or at least has themes of that. Nothing happens for necessarily plausible reasons, everything in this show boils down to being about doing whatever the gently caress you want, as long as it's compelling and you can get other people on board, because that's what storytelling kind of is. The entire premise of the stadium tournament thing was built on that, getting a big audience to believe asspulls with enough justification and preparation. Magane's entire character kinda shoves that idea even more in your face.

I think that's what this show's kinda trying to convey? That we use stories as a way to rationalize our lives when they don't make sense, even if these stories aren't completely thought out, and that they have a lot of power both on other people and ourselves. And at the end, Sota wanted more than anything some kind of closure, a way to fix what he basically couldn't, and he used this story to do that, writing in something to work through what was eating at him. It didn't necessarily matter if it made sense for Altair because it stopped being her story at that moment, and started being Sota's.

I don't think Altair's actually going to be some kind of god, I think what we saw was some kind of convoluted emotional projection, and that vaguely makes sense in this show because the important part of stories is how they make people feel. The audience approved of a blatant, cheap, emotional crit because your average viewer is a sucker for that stuff, and Sota felt resolution, and honestly that will probably sort everything out.

there's still an episode left so i have to wonder if it'll affirm my instinct on what it's trying to say. the show really could've done a better job saying that, without wrapping it up in so many layers of confusing bullshit, but there's kind of an interesting theme here buried beneath Troyca's inability to write a completely cohesive story for humans to understand.

but i think at this point it's fair to give a viewpoint and like. I didn't hate the show but it needed more restraint, guidance, and pruning to make what it was going for clearer. Almost the entire cast seemed to only have their functions half fulfilled. Selesia was cool and all at first but with how she went out I'm genuinely not sure why she was in the show. Yuuya had a moment later on that was fun but he existed almost solely to justify people fighting for the first half. Magane had all the makings of a great character but her ultimate influence feels weak. I think the show was ultimately actually about resolving Sota's feelings but he's such a non-character that it's hard to care about them. They needed to merge, collate, draw more parallels, something to prevent a cast of very half-boiled individuals, otherwise you've got a show that feels all over the place. I think Troyca's a studio that has a lot of possibility and some really good pitches and playbooks but they're so weak when it comes to actual writing and directing that their short tenure has felt like a library of interesting and wasted ideas. music was good, art looked fine, which helps typically.

this has been my 2 AM :words: about a weird dumb anime, but it's the kind of show that prods you to make words in a way, so w/e. most people understandably aren't going to like this one, but it held my attention, managed to keep a weak cast's names and identities in my head, and kept me thinking about what it was going for, so there's that. It Wasn't Completely Boring/10

• Locked thread