Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

:siren:NO SPOILERS, EVEN TAGGED. OFFENDERS WILL BE PROBED WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE.:siren:

2005. The heyday of the PS2. Australia's top gameologists had recently discovered open-world games, rear end in a top hat physics and competent scriptwriting and were working day and night to synthesize them into the perfect game. The result, of course, was Destroy All Humans, the thing you're here to watch. Did they succeed? Well, it's pretty drat good and I'm gonna play it. Joining me are Yapping Eevee and The Heavenator, who haven't played the game and will be offering their thoughts and exasperated groans in response to the experience.

Okay, so what's it about?
The long and short of it is we're a sassy alien infiltrating Earth to wreak havoc.

What makes this game unique?
Telekinesis! One of the major selling points of this game was the ability to grab and throw things with your mind, which to my recollection had only been done in Half-Life 2 up until that point. Also, it's drat funny and features Richard Horvitz as a supporting character.

Are you good at it?
Only sometimes.

Can you think of another generic question?
Nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This post reserved for the Furon empire.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
This game really seems to nail the hokey stereotypical style it was going for so far, so I think this LP's gonna be good for a few laughs. :allears: On my end, at the very least.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee posted:

This game really seems to nail the hokey stereotypical style it was going for so far, so I think this LP's gonna be good for a few laughs. :allears: On my end, at the very least.

It's almost like you enjoy games with cheesy dialog set in the 1950s.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
I fear people are going to miss out on this thread because they don't connect the dots in the brilliant title. That's one thing I've found lately, a lot of LP thread titles are too clever for their own good.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

One thing I like about Crypto is, while he's kind of a smartass, he never becomes unbearable (*cough*Lo Wang*cough*). Mostly because Pox almost always gives him poo poo. They have a lot of funny banter,from what I remember. I think one of the VA's from Invader Zim worked on this game? Pox's voice is very familiar.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

I fear people are going to miss out on this thread because they don't connect the dots in the brilliant title. That's one thing I've found lately, a lot of LP thread titles are too clever for their own good.

Hey, I'm open to suggestions.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 9, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
ahhh, memories.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

VolticSurge posted:

One thing I like about Crypto is, while he's kind of a smartass, he never becomes unbearable (*cough*Lo Wang*cough*). Mostly because Pox almost always gives him poo poo. They have a lot of funny banter,from what I remember. I think one of the VA's from Invader Zim worked on this game? Pox's voice is very familiar.

Yep, Pox is voiced by Zim's actor, Richard Horvitz.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Like I said, the subject of that character's voice actor is a real Hot Topic. :v:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Lizard Wizard posted:

Like I said, the subject of that character's voice actor is a real Hot Topic. :v:

:discourse:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I loved this game but never finished it (it gets kind of rough later on, tons of enemies everywhere) so I am happy to see this LP turn up.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I loved this game and it really nailed the vibe. Shame the third game was... yeah.
Are you planning on doing the sequel, Lizard Wizard?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Funny you should ask! I mentioned it in the first video, but the day after I bought the game and recorded it, a bundle launched including both DAH games and a whole bunch of other good stuff and hey, it's cheaper than the second game's price on PSN...so basically, yes.

However, whether I unleash my willy down a terrible path is something I've yet to determine.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 9, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I loved this game back in the PS2 days, it's got the right amount of tongue in cheek for humor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think I have this still for the Xbox. I actually did go so far as to beat it, and I loved every second of it from the moment I played the demo disc featuring it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
On the other side of the title debate, I got the reference and clicked because of it, but not the game, and was pleasantly surprised to see it's one I really enjoyed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

On the other side of the title debate, I got the reference and clicked because of it, but not the game, and was pleasantly surprised to see it's one I really enjoyed.

Spread the word! :ocelot:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 10, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

watching that video makes me want to replay the game. any options for doing so for someone with no intention of owning a current or prior generation console?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

watching that video makes me want to replay the game. any options for doing so for someone with no intention of owning a current or prior generation console?

PCSX2 exists! That said, I don't want in-depth PS2 emulator discussion in this thread, so let this be as far as the topic goes.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Lizard Wizard posted:

PCSX2 exists! That said, I don't want in-depth PS2 emulator discussion in this thread, so let this be as far as the topic goes.

Yeah, I was just hoping there was some sort of legitimate PC version in the interim, like, 10 years (augh jesus christ) since this was made. ah well.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This game was so dope. Were any of the sequels worth a drat?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Fuligin posted:

This game was so dope. Were any of the sequels worth a drat?

The second one was pretty fun,if I recall correctly. The third one was garbage,unfortunately.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

The second one was pretty fun,if I recall correctly. The third one was garbage,unfortunately.

You mean third and fourth.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

You mean third and fourth.

Fourth? Whaaaaaaaaa? Was there one on like,the Wii or something I've never heard of?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

Fourth? Whaaaaaaaaa? Was there one on like,the Wii or something I've never heard of?

There is! And now I've decided we're all going to have to discover it together.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So, Cryptosporidium is a waterborne parasite that infects humans. The main thing they cause is diarrhea... Severe diarrhea.

So the thing about extracting brains through the but... The humans are literally making GBS threads their brains out.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I loved playing the first two games, and I look forward to seeing exactly how terrible the later ones are.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
This looks fun, must have completely passed me by the first time around.

You might want to check your sound levels, you're a lot louder than the game is!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

inflatablefish posted:

This looks fun, must have completely passed me by the first time around.

You might want to check your sound levels, you're a lot louder than the game is!

That's what I prefer to the inverse. :shobon:

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

I agree that you're too loud. If I turn the volume up enough to hear the characters banter you guys are practically screaming in my ear.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

HOW MANY DEAD HUMANS

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Last Transmission posted:

I agree that you're too loud. If I turn the volume up enough to hear the characters banter you guys are practically screaming in my ear.

I'll address it in future videos.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This game was my poo poo for a few weeks back when I was 12. It isn't as good as the first sequel, but it is legit.

Too bad the third and fourth game were absolutely terrible and killed the franchise. I guess that's just the side-effect of Pandemic studios going under because the owner really wanted to make a game about his furry webcomic and used up all the company's funds on a flop.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
This game captures that terrible 1950s B movie with the music and dialog. It's pretty amazing, and I'm looking forward to revisiting it. Especially once we get upgrades :getin:

The voice casting for Crypto and Ortho is pretty amazing, they have two great snarky assholes providing some great back and forth.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Covok posted:

Pandemic studios going under because the owner really wanted to make a game about his furry webcomic and used up all the company's funds on a flop.

wait what

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Oh, I think I mixed them up with another studio. My mistake. Got jumbled in my mind with another Australian developer called Krome Studios.

Covok fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 13, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Covok posted:

Oh, I think I mixed them up with another studio. My mistake. Got jumbled in my mind with another Australian developer.

now I'm curious as to what studio you were talking about :v:

wow blasted by the ninja edit

Covok
May 27, 2013

HannibalBarca posted:

now I'm curious as to what studio you were talking about :v:

wow blasted by the ninja edit

I think I might be double wrong here, actually, because they're still around. I am just off my game this morning. Sorry for the confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Covok posted:

I think I might be double wrong here, actually, because they're still around. I am just off my game this morning. Sorry for the confusion.

the sagas of video game studios' decline and fall usually combine delicious drama with incredibly poor documentation, so it's always fun to hear The Stories from people who know them.

• Locked thread