Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Train posted:

Boxcar children were often sexually abused at the hands of the destitute who would ride the rails, it's hosed up they'd use that as a premise for childrens books

Do you even know what the boxcar children was about? They didn't actively ride the rails they lived in a box car that they found in the woods for a few nights. It was an abandoned box car and they made a house out of it. It wasn't Even on a railroad.They've never actually rode the rails. Please get a clue. Also their grandfather found them and moved their boxcar to his mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

canpakes posted:

Do you even know what the boxcar children was about? They didn't actively ride the rails they lived in a box car that they found in the woods for a few nights. It was an abandoned box car and they made a house out of it. It wasn't Even on a railroad.They've never actually rode the rails. Please get a clue. Also their grandfather found them and moved their boxcar to his mansion.

The destitutes ride the rails learn to read GOD

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Amen

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

naem
May 29, 2011

canpakes posted:

All of these stories are about well off children (who are so sheltered they behave as if they are mildly autistic) having extremely milquetoast "adventures" such as:

-camping for three days without any servants to wait on them
-forcing an elderly poor person to sell a small piece of real estate for less than market value, condemning their remaining years to desperation and squalor (old man Whithers "haunted" amusement park)
-using their limitless free time to oppress the underclass by exposing acts of petty larceny committed out of desperation (The case of the missing heart shaped pendant)

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

naem posted:

All of these stories are about well off children (who are so sheltered they behave as if they are mildly autistic) having extremely milquetoast "adventures" such as:

-camping for three days without any servants to wait on them
-forcing an elderly poor person to sell a small piece of real estate for less than market value, condemning their remaining years to desperation and squalor (old man Whithers "haunted" amusement park)
-using their limitless free time to oppress the underclass by exposing acts of petty larceny committed out of desperation (The case of the missing heart shaped pendant)

Both of their parents were killed and they fled the city OP. It was only while they were picking cherries that their grandfather rescued them with the help of a doctor. Otherwise things would have turned out differently for them. In fact the boxcar children have done more work than most millenials.

naem
May 29, 2011

canpakes posted:

Both of their parents were killed and they fled the city OP. It was only while they were picking cherries that their grandfather rescued them with the help of a doctor. Otherwise things would have turned out differently for them. In fact the boxcar children have done more work than most millenials.

Yes what a grand adventure, to throw a tantrum, run away, and play at manual labor briefly before wealthy grandpa whisks you away to a life of luxury

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

naem posted:

Yes what a grand adventure, to throw a tantrum, run away, and play at manual labor briefly before wealthy grandpa whisks you away to a life of luxury

Their freaking parents died And they left their childhood home OP. Are you some kind of a clown? I'm going going kick your rear end.

naem
May 29, 2011

canpakes posted:

Their freaking parents died And they left their childhood home OP. Are you some kind of a clown? I'm going going kick your rear end.

help help I'm being oppressed

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

For some reason i used to read "The Three Investigators" a lot when I was a kid. I probably thought they were the Hardy Boys and didn't know the difference

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I liked the one where the bad guy had a flashlight shaped like an eye and if he shined it on you it would paralyse you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
did Nancy Drew ever bang one of the Hardy Boys?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

did Nancy Drew ever bang one of the Hardy Boys?

In a fan fiction I wrote, she pegged both of them

naem
May 29, 2011

xir hardy siblings

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone read the view from the cherry tree

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Encyclopedia Brown has a nemesis who I think was named Bugs Meany

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Yeah, this is your life when you were a kid with one tv in the house.

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
Naem isn't usually this cranky, I'm a little concerned.

On topic: Enid Blyton's Adventure Series was the BEST. I mean, those kids got the best of spies and gun runners and mad scientists!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Lost Canyoneer posted:

Naem isn't usually this cranky, I'm a little concerned.

On topic: Enid Blyton's Adventure Series was the BEST. I mean, those kids got the best of spies and gun runners and mad scientists!

Never even heard of it before, or is it a thing you just made up? I have read a lot of the Boxcar Children books, though those were all adventurey IIRC and not as mysterious or crime thriller as Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
oh man i just remembered that i read almost every single babysitters club book when i was little because my sister had them and books. i probably could have gotten like a dozen "Book It!" personal pan pizzas from pizza hut off that little collection except i wasnt willing to admit to anyone that i read all of those

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I learned the word Uzi from the Hardy Boys but didn't know how to pronounce it. Boy was that embarrassing.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

gary oldmans diary posted:

oh man i just remembered that i read almost every single babysitters club book when i was little because my sister had them and books. i probably could have gotten like a dozen "Book It!" personal pan pizzas from pizza hut off that little collection except i wasnt willing to admit to anyone that i read all of those

i used to get free personal panned pizzas from pizza hut for saying i read books

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

JakeP posted:

i used to get free personal panned pizzas from pizza hut for saying i read books

:same:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

We just got dumb stickers WTF?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

500 good dogs posted:

We just got dumb stickers WTF?

Thats pretty lame I think. Stickers are for girls and babys

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hardy Boys and Tom Swift were fine, but The Great Brain series was the best.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I read a lot of Box Car Kids stories, which in retrospect were really hosed up because it's a bunch of hobo kids with no parents living in a derelict box car. lol

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 11, 2017

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Nut to Butt posted:

Hardy Boys and Tom Swift were fine, but The Great Brain series was the best.

i only read one book titled the great brain and it loving sucked

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
the only other book i had as much displeasure reading for school was great expectations, i would say a tale of two cities but i never made it past page 20

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Congrats on reading serialized poo poo for children, where the red ferns grow is the only story worth remembering or giving two hoots about

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

500 good dogs posted:

Never even heard of it before, or is it a thing you just made up? I have read a lot of the Boxcar Children books, though those were all adventurey IIRC and not as mysterious or crime thriller as Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys.

i read the books he/she is talking about as a young child (and reread them several times because young child i guess)

they were ok i guess although the 4th book (5th book?) has a hilariously racist bit in the middle

actually it was enid blyton so they were probably racist all the way through and I just don't remember most of it.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

I'm David Carradine

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

canpakes posted:

I remeber one of these books, but I don't know specifically what iI was . Possibly encyclopedia Brown. And a store got robbed and a knife was plunged into a watermelon. And the case was cracked because a guy said "my knife has a longer blade than that" even though you couldn't see the blade because it was all the way in the watermelon. That's not evidence. What was this book

I read some Encyclopedia Brown books when I was a kid. One case I recall was particularly bad.

It involved a quiz where a person had to think of a word that had three letters in a row, two of them each (like aabbcc). One of the contestants said she couldn't think of an answer and then Encyclopedia Brown was like, "your occupation is bookkeeper so you definitely know a word that fits this description. Therefore you're lying and this proves you're guilty of the crime!"

I was like... even if that's her job, that doesn't mean the word is going to come to mind. Encyclopedia Brown, that's pretty weak.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
*Spoiler Alert*

In the last book of the series Nancy Drew becomes pregnant and is trying to find who the daddy is. She finds out it is Detective Finnegan because after the baby is born he has red hair and Finnegan is the only potential father with red hair. Detective Finnegan is fired and sent to jail for having sex with underaged Nancy. Nancy is left without a baby-daddy for support and has to become a strip-tease dancer to support herself.

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.
I remember the hardy boys used to fuckin slay people in the solar plexus all the time. As a child I thought it was a fancy word for kicking in the balls. An American boy came to my school for a year and his dad bought a whole set of hardy boys books for the school library. It was a great day, chucking down those poo poo Enid blighton books and grabbing some red hot hb action. It was decided that the heroic twosome slamming out villains with their athletic bods was too much violence for us gay British preteens and they were locked away in a cupboard never to be seen again.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hardawn posted:

Congrats on reading serialized poo poo for children, where the red ferns grow is the only story worth remembering or giving two hoots about

lookit this scrub who never read My Side of the Mountain just lmao

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cum Galleon posted:

I remember the hardy boys used to fuckin slay people in the solar plexus all the time. As a child I thought it was a fancy word for kicking in the balls. An American boy came to my school for a year and his dad bought a whole set of hardy boys books for the school library. It was a great day, chucking down those poo poo Enid blighton books and grabbing some red hot hb action. It was decided that the heroic twosome slamming out villains with their athletic bods was too much violence for us gay British preteens and they were locked away in a cupboard never to be seen again.

tbf British youth absolutely cannot handle true freedom. all punks end up thatcherites.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cum Galleon posted:

I remember the hardy boys used to fuckin slay people in the solar plexus all the time. As a child I thought it was a fancy word for kicking in the balls.

That is awesome.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys were small-time. It was, is, and always will be about The Three Investigators:

Jupe, Pete, and Bob made me the man I am today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys were small-time. It was, is, and always will be about The Three Investigators:

Jupe, Pete, and Bob made me the man I am today.

Okay, I seriously want to read these.

• Locked thread