Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Goon goomah Edgar Wright's 2010 film, Scott Pilgrim v. The World (do NOT confuse with Beavis) has been alternatively celebrated and condemned by various critics and viewpoints over the 6 1/2 years since its release.

While some condemn its slightly dated pop-culture, its undefined characters, or unnecessarily breakneck pace, others appreciate the density of its presentation, the strength of its cast, or how it conveys the experience of being both Canadian and Millenial. Neither question, though, is why I present this topic to you.

Is Scott Pilgrim v. The World a feminist film?

Does Scott's obvious flaws and inability to grow past them without the women in his life represent the story of a protagonist who develops a full sense of empathy? Or does his dick-headed pursuit of Ramona, to the detriment of Knives, Stacy, Julie, and Kim dominate the film and suffocate other perspectives?

Just curious what GBS thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Michael Cera is a woman so yeah

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

And there you have folks. This thread is over.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I like all the complete fantasy unrealistic parts like where lots of women wanted to sleep with Micheal Cera.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wish Michael Cera would die.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

ok i'm gonna ask a question and i need you to be honest with me: what is scott pilgrim?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish Michael Cera would die.

he aint allowed to die til arrested development season 5 is done

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Did you know that the original name for Pac-Man was Puck-Man? You'd think it was because he looks like a hockey puck but it actually comes from the Japanese phrase 'Paku-Paku,' which means to flap one's mouth open and closed. They changed it because they thought Puck-Man would be too easy to vandalize, you know, like people could just scratch off the P and turn it into an F or whatever.

nah just fuckin with ya Scott Pilgrim is the Canadian version of a fuccboi

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Universe Master posted:

I like all the complete fantasy unrealistic parts like where lots of women wanted to sleep with Micheal Cera.

This is every Michael Cera movie

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It may well be a feminist film, but I can say with certainty it is not a good film.

naem
May 29, 2011

I liked the movie because I muddled my way through that late 2000's proto-hipster era without any idea what the gently caress was going on at the time, so seeing it on the big screen gave me a sense of closure

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty_LAi0dleU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Scott was dating a high school girl. He was a pedophile. So no it's not a feminist film, it's another patriarchy infused propaganda to normalize children as whores to grown mens desire.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
The only self-proclaimed "feminist" I know absolutely hates the movie, and says the women in the movie are treated as prizes to be fought over.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

3 A.M. Radio posted:

The only self-proclaimed "feminist" I know absolutely hates the movie, and says the women in the movie are treated as prizes to be fought over.

Also that

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Captain America was good in it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i guess my question is, in 2010, did Scott Pilgrim get the jump on that kind of "accepting" "feminist" "neo-masculinity" where Scott incessantly talks about his emotions, involving as many in his internal world as possible, while ultimately making every interaction about himself and the quickest route from X to emotional validation?

Was Scott Pilgrim the kind of guy that thinkpieces today are written about, on Medium and Thoughtcatalogue, about "male feminists"?

(Should Ramona have just hosed Stephen Stills, the poor man's Wolverine, or literally anyone but Scott?)

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3 A.M. Radio posted:

thats why i hated aladdin

is your friend single

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

3 A.M. Radio posted:

the only solution is to have women fight over manic pixie dream nerd michael cera

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Tolkien minority posted:

he aint allowed to die til arrested development season 5 is done

Dear god, imagine how gangly he'll be by then.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
men never fight over women in real life

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no, OP, it's a poo poo film

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tricky D posted:

Dear god, imagine how gangly he'll be by then.

I'd rather deny Canada Michael Cera's goofy face than bring back that corpse another time

three years of mocking the Bush admin and nothing more

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the part where macauly culkins brother heckles that band is the funniest part

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Raider posted:

the part where macauly culkins brother heckles that band is the funniest part
love that one

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Scott pilgrim is a beta bitch

The movie is a cautionary tale to young men.

Lift weights, do drugs, and work hard or you'll end up like this bitch boy burn out.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i mean i get where you come from, Sam Hyde

but waifish cuck Scott bangs Brie Larson, Alison Pill, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and seduces a teenage girl as well before deciding he wants to only bang ME Winstead

so maybe we should evaluate the film as it is presented rather than our preconceptions of "Mike Cera is a gay manbaby"

edit: you have distracted me from the central question of this thread: does scott embody toxic masculinity

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

3 A.M. Radio posted:

she isnt wrong

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
don't get me wrong 3AM's friend I think I agree

but scott is, like, a really lovely person

does the film acknowledge this in a constructive way?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mameluke posted:

i mean i get where you come from, Sam Hyde

but waifish cuck Scott bangs Brie Larson, Alison Pill, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and seduces a teenage girl as well before deciding he wants to only bang ME Winstead

so maybe we should evaluate the film as it is presented rather than our preconceptions of "Mike Cera is a gay manbaby"

edit: you have distracted me from the central question of this thread: does scott embody toxic masculinity

Those all were pity fucks. Also a real man stands by his woman and doesn't sleep around like a cheating tramp. He's an insecure beta bitch that can't handle a relationship let alone his own identity.

If your idea of being a man is getting used once by a woman and thrown in the trash like one of her cotton balls, then lol just lol.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

3 A.M. Radio posted:

sounds like no one thought she was worth fighting over. that's sad.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
women are part of the world, and scott pilgrim is vs them, so i'd say it's more vs women than for them

naem
May 29, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

If your idea of being a man is getting used once by a woman and thrown in the trash like one of her cotton balls, then lol just lol.

God yeah ugh hate when that happens, again and again, woman after woman, yes oh god yes YES, give it to me, Kevin; it is your turn now, to wear the handcuffs,,

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snatch Duster posted:

Those all were pity fucks. Also a real man stands by his woman and doesn't sleep around like a cheating tramp. He's an insecure beta bitch that can't handle a relationship let alone his own identity.

honestly OP I think we agree, Scott is the "protagonist" but he is definitely not the "hero," he is a lovely manwhore who's weak to the point that self-awareness is the end of his hero's journey

i'm not sure which of the film's women uses Scott once like a cottonball though, like he dates Envy, Kim, Knives, and Ramona for some time, Stacy is his sister, and Julie is just a supernatural figure of hate so idk whatchu say

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mameluke posted:

don't get me wrong 3AM's friend I think I agree

but scott is, like, a really lovely person

does the film acknowledge this in a constructive way?

not really. the film tries to jam in a you-gotta-believe-in-yourself message when that was the opposite of scott pilgrim's problem. his problem was that he was a shitlord to his friends and women that tried to hide in his own willful ignorance

e: like after ramona bails on him due to her fear of commitment he goes around propositioning every girl he knows for casual sex including the high-school girl he cheated on.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 9, 2017

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A big flaming stink posted:

not really. the film tries to jam in a you-gotta-believe-in-yourself message when that was the opposite of scott pilgrim's problem. his problem was that he was a shitlord to his friends and women that tried to hide in his own willful ignorance

well in the end, he faces off with gideon twice. the first time he goes up against the big dog himself and fails. second time he allows kim, ramona, and knives to support him and succeeds. and gideon doesn't really count, he's just an extension of scott's feelings.

he gets the whole "power of love" earlier in the film, and the "power of self-respect" in the ending, but they don't do poo poo on their own. scott's still an infidel. they're all internal. his biggest victory is conquering the same self-hatred he faced while dating knives, in reconciling with nega-scott.

e: the film focuses way more on Ramona than the comics and he doesn't really move on from her at all. instead i feel it proposes all his encounters with women as steps in his own growth, which wouldn't be a great message if the film didn't position itself so much as scott's own perspective

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 9, 2017

naem
May 29, 2011

Mameluke posted:

honestly OP I think we agree, Scott is the "protagonist" but he is definitely not the "hero," he is a lovely manwhore who's weak to the point that self-awareness is the end of his hero's journey

i'm not sure which of the film's women uses Scott once like a cottonball though, like he dates Envy, Kim, Knives, and Ramona for some time, Stacy is his sister, and Julie is just a supernatural figure of hate so idk whatchu say

I think Scott pilgrim being a selfish useless dick is intentionally subverting the "young man coming of age as the hero" trope. Like on purpose.

I don't know if the movie was good enough to actually convey that convincingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
alls i know is that its a poo poo movie for retards

• Locked thread