Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Is this the most favoured matchup the capitals have had in recent memory? I know they were the 1 seed vs. montreal in the quarterfinals before when they were Halak'd. But I imagine montreal still had a few people feeling they could make a splash.

Literally every single prediction is picking washington at 4-1 or 4-0, which is very obvious. I'm just surprised there's not even a homer wanting to throw toronto a game 6 or game 7 bone.

They were super heavily favored over Philly last year too. We barely squeaked in to the WC2 spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neuvirth played absolutely out of his mind one game last year (game 5?) and had a 44 save shutout on the Caps while the flyers only managed 11 shots.

The flyers were already a dead team walking at that point but yeah a goalie getting hot at the right time can absolutely steal a series

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

2010 owned because I'm pretty sure that was either the first ever 7 vs. 8 conference final ever or the first time it'd happened in like decades

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm sure there'll be a GDT tonight. There's a discord but not many of us are in it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Can I see the playoff poster.gif? I need a laugh

this one?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That was one for the ages from Jake Allen. Good lord :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

christ :stonk:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Kassian is a grumpy boy.

https://streamable.com/kfe0t

I love those stupid mutton chops of his so much

E: he does not believe fun must be alaways :(((((

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 17, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I would understand wanting Holtby to maybe get a little rest one game but to drop in Grubauer just for the sake of dropping him in seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ7EYRokluQ

What's rule number one of broadcasting again?

hahahahahaha

I've honest to god written MIC IS HOT on my notes at broadcasts sometimes just to keep it front of mind. And yeah any broadcaster that says they haven't done this exact thing is lying to themselves.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Unless a player is killed on the ice by an injury that would plausibly be prevented by a cage, I don't think you'll see them. Vision, fighting, danger to un-caged others, marketing faces, etc.

this is assuming the NHL ever figures out that marketing individual players is a good idea

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sup cope where the hell have you been lately

and lol this fukkn owns

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/854061258164715520

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

How did Torts react after yesterday anyway?

Cranky Torts isn't as much a thing these days. The only media member he deals with on a daily basis is Aaron Portzline, who doesn't seem to agitate him much.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah boston's not like total rear end or anything but to call them the best team in the league is... well just hilariously wrong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

New baby (born 8/7 :cool:) + no cable doesn't give many opportunities to post about line combos, sadly.

aww that's awesome, congrats :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CobwebMustardseed posted:

Wait, under what circumstances did this happen?

you're back! :toot:

How is TSC?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is it as weird for an 8 seed to beat a 1 seed in hockey as it is in the NBA?

Not entirely, but definitely not in 1 game

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

Now my question is have both 1-seeds fallen in the first round before

1 seeds knocked out in the first round:

#1 Canucks in 2012
#1 Caps in 2010
#1 SJ in 2009
#1 Detroit in 2006
#1 Boston in 2002
#1 STL in 2000
#1 NJ in 1999
#1 NJ in 1998
#1 Quebec in 1995
#1 Detroit in 1994

1993 seems to have it, sorta? #1 Adams seed Boston was swept by Buffalo in the 1st, and #1 Norris seed Chicago was swept by St. Louis.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'm not that far from Nashville and I've been meaning to go to a game for years. it seems like an awesome atmosphere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I remember Trevor Linden blowing someone through the glass too

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

unmarketable

I have a hard time buying this argument because the NHL has done precisely dick to market individual players as compared to teams.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I don't get the pens scratching Streit. He's perfectly fine as a lower pairing guy and it's not as if Pittsburgh has a surplus of NHL-level defensemen right now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Whatever happened with Maatta anyway? Wasn't he pretty highly touted when he came into pittsburgh a couple years ago? Did he get hurt or something and just couldn't come back from it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh jeez, I totally forgot about the cancer thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Hockey could use more dekes, but a football player's got the sickest dangle of the month.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :vince:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha i love arenas loving with visitors like that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I never left you, DJ Exile. When you saw only one set of claw-prints in the sand, that was when my turtle carried you.

hahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:laffo:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fleury could win the goddamn Conn Smythe and there still won't be a trading market for him

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah PKs are a lot more aggressive now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Announcing schedule for NBC/NBCSN

quote:

Wednesday, April 26
G1: Nashville at St. Louis (NBCSN 8 pm) Kenny Albert, Pierre McGuire
G1: Edmonton at Anaheim (NBCSN 10:30 pm) Brendan Burke, Joe Micheletti

Thursday, April 27
G1: NY Rangers at Ottawa (CNBC 7 pm) John Forslund, Brian Boucher
G1: Pittsburgh at Washington (NBCSN 7:30 pm) Mike Emrick, Eddie Olczyk, Pierre McGuire

Friday, April 28
G2: Nashville at St. Louis (NBCSN 8 pm) Kenny Albert, Pierre McGuire
G2: Edmonton at Anaheim (NBCSN 10:30 pm) Brendan Burke, Joe Micheletti

Saturday, April 29
G2: NY Rangers at Ottawa (NBC 3 pm) John Forslund, Brian Boucher
G2: Pittsburgh at Washington (NBC 8 pm) Mike Emrick, Eddie Olczyk, Pierre McGuire

Sunday, April 30
G3: St. Louis at Nashville (NBC 3 pm) Kenny Albert, Pierre McGuire
G3: Anaheim at Edmonton (NBCSN 7pm) Chris Cuthbert, Joe Micheletti

Monday, May 1
G3: Washington at Pittsburgh (NBCSN 7:30 pm) Mike Emrick, Eddie Olczyk, Pierre McGuire

Tuesday, May 2
G3: Ottawa at NY Rangers (NBCSN 7 pm) Dave Strader, Pierre McGuire
G4: St. Louis at Nashville (NBCSN 9:30 pm) John Forslund, Brian Boucher

Wednesday, May 3
G4: Washington at Pittsburgh (NBCSN 7:30 pm) Mike Emrick, Pierre McGuire
G4: Anaheim at Edmonton (NBCSN 10 pm) Chris Cuthbert, Joe Micheletti

Thursday, May 4
G4: Ottawa at NY Rangers (NBCSN 7 pm) Kenny Albert, Pierre McGuire

Man, Pierre's gonna log a lot of travel.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 26, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Anyone keep track of how many times they mentioned Nashville sweeping Chicago? Because goddamn I think Kenny Albert slipped that in every thirty seconds.

The Wild? Mentioned like once, in the pre-game show.

wild didn't get swept as a 1 seed

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus :stare:

E: not for nothing but nobody else is confirming that yet.

flakeloaf posted:

Isn't a ruptured femoral artery the sort of thing that kills you before you're done cussing about it?

It's not instant death but it can be pretty serious.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

The tweeting that goes on when the Cards lose in the playoffs is spectacular.

BEST

FANS

IN

BASEBALL

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHLonNBCSports/status/857610550276116480

Haaaa

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fun little article by an Obama speechwriter, who had to write his congrats speech for the Pens, while himself being a massive Capitals fan

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boucher going full :dadjoke: there and I love it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jehde posted:

Honestly, I'm just done after tonight's game. I felt positive going into the game, but I stopped watching after it was 3-0, and seeing it end up 6-3 just makes things worse. All those positive feelings are gone. That was the worst game the Oilers played all season, and it's beyond frustrating when the Oilers had been the better team in the series, could've been up 3-0 if they didn't fall asleep in Game 3, and instead now they're down 2-1. But there's no chance in hell they're winning another game in this series. They're done. Stick the :fork: in them, they aren't coming back.

At least we made the playoffs, at least we won 2 games, and at least the Flames still suck more than we do. Now hopefully Chiarelli does some work in the off-season to make us better, because this team isn't going far the way they are right now.

Congrats on your series win, Ducks fans.

Melting down while you're up 2-1 in the series is pretty rare, and impressive.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh poo poo, whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah even if Crosby is out, Pittsburgh still has a lot of weapons up front. I wouldn't count them out by any stretch

E: and yeah it sucks to lose a guy like Crosby but let's not pretend he's their entire offense.

• Locked thread