Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

this is the least excited I have ever been for the playoffs

Time to win the Canucks that first round pick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

I see the Oilers are making up for 10 years of lost playoff revenue with their ticket prices

Thank You Fans

Daryl needs every cent he can get. It ain't cheap trying to harass a Brazilian model into sleeping with you.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

e: Just 6 I guess if you count the 1927 Sens

If the 1927 Sens count then the 1919 Vancouver Millionaires count. So, no it doesn't.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

None of the Cup wins from the 1890s or whatever until 1967 are really meaningful in my opinion

Agreed. It's not impressive to win a bunch in a 6 team league. Up to the WHA merger in 1979 it was still pretty easy. Even then only 5 of 21 teams missed the playoffs.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 11, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not to mention there wasn't even a draft until 1963, and teams more-or-less held exclusive rights to sign players from junior teams they sponsored until 1968.

It also took teams other than the Habs a decade figure out how valuable high draft picks were. The Habs were the best team throughout the 70s but just bought high draft picks off of bottom feeders for table scraps so they could keep taking stars like Guy Lafleur.

Between 1969 and 1978 the Habs won the cup 7 times but picked in the first round 25 times selecting first overall 3 times with an average first selection of 6th. For comparison's sake, the Leafs picked in the first round 11 times in that span never picking someone higher than 4th. The Red Wings who made the playoffs twice in that stretch, had 10.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 11, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Leafs are a nice story of rookies playing well, but at the end of the day they're a 42 loss team going up against a team that has won the President's Trophy twice in a row.

The Leafs came on strong in the second half and were 12-6-2 over the last six weeks of the season. I still think the Caps win fairly handily, but this isn't a cakewalk by any means. They're a well coached team riding high on exceeded expectations with nothing to lose. Teams like that give contenders saddled with the weight of a hungry fanbase fits. Win or lose, Leafs walk out of this series with their heads held high. You can't say the same for the Caps.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

can't wait to put up a witty away message on my AIM while i'm watching the game tonight

Just set your MSN Messenger Screen name to

*~||SEB||~* xX[PENSBURGH]Xx :) Letz Go Penz! <3 Je t'aime MAF <3 No sKuLe DiS WkNd :0!!!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

The number of avatars still current 3 years later is pretty funny. Pay lowtax's bills guys!

Mine will always be current because none of us will ever be worthy to launder Mr. Edward's sweaty jock.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTlL3pEfBMc

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

:3:

Thank you Tanner. Thanner.

Fanner.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

I don't think I've ever been in a stadium or arena or whatever where anyone was anything other than cool to visiting fans, where the gently caress does all of this violence actually happen?

I've seen tons of fights in the stands over the years at Canucks games. Oilers games seem to be a particular target. Really all you need is the home team to be losing badly, everyone gets quite drunk and one rear end in a top hat opposition fan standing up and goading the crowd. It ends with beers dumped on mortified girlfriends security dragging everyone out. It's great entertainment.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I also think the Caps will come back. They've lost two close games and they have another level they can play at. Not sure about San Jose though, I though they'd handle Edmonton's five good players pretty well but they look old and busted.

Yeah, San Jose looks beaten here already and I don't know why. The only consolation I have is that the Ducks have been on fire for the last two months and play the type of game that seems to neutralize players like McDavid.

I still say the Caps win this series, but man the Leafs have shown themselves to be formidable opponents so far. There hasn't really been a single stretch where they've looked like the team 25 points lower in the standings. They're going to be a good team next year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

The one thing you're kind of glossing over here is that all three games were extremely close. Washington has looked like the better team in each game, but Toronto has done a great job of hanging tough and capitalizing on their chances. It could just as easily be 3-0 for Toronto as it could be for Washington. It's essentially impossible that they can keep it up through multiple rounds, but it's great that they don't look super outmatched despite having what was supposed to be the most one-sided playoff matchup.

Honestly, both teams have looked pretty evenly matched and I wouldn't say that one has looked consistently better than the other. Considering the Caps won the President's trophy and the Leafs were the last team to clinch, that pretty clearly means the Leafs have been the more impressive team. OT is essentially a coin flip so it could just as easily be 3-0 Caps right now, but credit where credit is due: the Leafs have been impressive enough to suggest they have the makings of a very good team. At worst, they lose the next three and taking a 118pt team to 6 games is impressive regardless of where you finished in the standings.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

Watching all this playoff hockey has made me realize how loving out-of-hand slashes are getting without any calls. There's been so much stickwork in the hands in every series I've watched and it's dumb as gently caress.

Also the Ducks suck and the refs also suck. If I wind up in a position of having to choose between Anaheim and Edmonton I'm going to hope for a stadium collapse.

The league's conscious decision to almost completely ease up on stick infractions and interference is one thing I'll never understand. It kills offence and it's not like people consider hooks and slashes to be tough/cool hockey. It just slows things down and sucks the joy out of a lot of games. I'd really love to hear the league's perspective on all that, because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

^^^^^
Add laser beam slap shot goals from the point and that's a pretty solid list

xzzy posted:

I think the issue is that stick infractions are pretty subjective when seen in real time at game speed and referees have a storied history of losing their whistles in the playoffs. They don't want a penalty to 'decide a series' or some wishy washy bullshit when we all know the real reason is fans go apeshit for violence and the NHL is happy to let it happen.

It may just be me, but I've never seen a player hook another dude's hands for a half second and thought "wowee, what tough, manly play."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

ya i sincerely enjoy it, it's a lot of fun.

cheapshotting and overrating prospects are honorable mentions for my list.

For a whole summer Cole Cassels was the Canucks' answer to Connor McDavid.

Aphrodite posted:

Columnists trying to elevate routine plays to legendary status.

Talking heads fumbling to derive a narrative from a Chicago/Nashville playoff series before it starts.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If we're just listing actually cool hockey things I'd like to add:

1. Power forwards just leaning into a defender and outmuscling them as they drive to the net at full speed
2. Emotionally charged fights between two actually useful players
3. Goalie stretch passes
4. Tic-tac-toe passing plays
5. Diving pokechecks
6. Penalty shots in tie games
7. Hip checks
8. Lesser light players going absolutely nuts after scoring an important goal
9. Games that go completely off the rails due to lots of chirping and cheap shots
10. Anything past the 2nd OT

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

1. Checking goalies*

*Not to be confused with goalies checking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBVdz6UO3U

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Goalie Fights

Really long shifts in the attacking zone that end in a goal

Aces High posted:

why was Henrik sitting in the penalty box at the end? Did nobody want the Canucks to win the cup that year or something?

Who knows? It was a weird series and literally everyone except for Canucks and Habs fans were rooting for the Bruins. It's probably the chippiest cup finals series in modern memory, so honestly the penalties were pretty fair all things considered.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Sort of.

Vinny had been stripped of the Captaincy by then, but this is the best fight in the history of the sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txhs_g5O7E8

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I like how all three of the Wild, Jackets and Flames are down 3-0 in their series but Calgary's odds are more than twice as bad as the other two.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Defencemen joining the rush.

Okay I'm done I promise...

Popping the water bottle.

Okay actually.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

is there any actual evidence of this

Hockey players never played dirty prior to the advent of the instigator. This is a verifiable fact and Mark Messier, Shayne Churla, Pavel Bure, Claude Lemieux, Tiger Williams, Bobby Clarke, Marty McSorely and Ulf Samuelsson all made a name for themselves for being just swell role models on and off the ice.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Babcock will win, but doesn't deserve to.

The Jack Adams has been the "coach of the team that most exceeded pre-season expectations award' for years now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Connor got rowdy last night.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Slappy Pappy posted:

That's actually pretty hosed up considering how mangled Couture's mouth and face are right now. Good thing he didn't make contact.

I kinda wish he'd connected so he'd get suspended. That's dirty as hell.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kilza posted:

PPs per series going into tonight's games:
https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/854817451896438785

I mean, everybody can bitch about the refs as much as they want, but at least every series has had the PP chances difference be close except for the Oilers-Sharks.

The Canucks/Sharks series a few years ago had the penalties something like 3:1 in favour of the Sharks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

How dare he legally hip check Ovie.

HOW DARE HE.

That was not legal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/SmashvilleProud/status/857590918974668801

:gonk:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

E: not for nothing but nobody else is confirming that yet.

Yeah, that's a less reputable source than I thought. Take it with a grain of salt.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

That's my understanding too, but interestingly enough CBC is getting Sens-Rangers. I figure it's mostly "Rogers would like people to actually buy Sportsnet/Sportsnet Now but they will throw a Canadian bone to the CBC."

It's a draft system for the right to air TV series. Sportsnet picks 1st (taking the one they figure has the most interest in Ducks/Oilers), then CBC, then Sportsnet, then CBC. Or at least that's how it used to work although CBC is entirely under the control of Sportsnet as far as HNIC is concerned. I guess they just want to bolster their ratings there if possible. Hockey will be gone from CBC entirely by the end of next year most likely. Their agreement to maintain HNiC on CBC was only four years, so it'll move to CTV soon enough.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

No Hagelin, Dumoulin, or Hornqvist at the morning skate.

We can keep winning when getting out shot attempted like thirty to one right?

Well Mark Spector labeled the Pens as "a savvy, playoff-hardened group of proven winners" today despite the narrative being for years how they were chokers. So apparently that has been reversed and the Pens are the model of consistent success now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Sports are great for teaching you how to cope with loss. Caps are like a beloved grandparent in hospice at this point. I've already said my goodbyes, time to just see things through.

As a Canucks fan, I warn you that they don't actually die they just get worse and worse but you still care for them until the point where you just wish they would die to save you all the hardship.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The NHL hasn't given Crosby an award he didn't deserve and there's a much better argument that he should also have won the Hart in 2010 or 2013.

The 2016-17 Conn Smythe was far more of a career recognition thing than a commendation of his play that year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Oilers: McDavid - Feels like he has a lot more to give but he's been their best player.

Two stinkers aside, Cam Talbot is the only reason the Oilers are still in the playoffs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Where did the AV = good coach stuff come from anyways? He did well with the Canucks but he also had two guys who were almost generationally good in their prime in the Sedins plus an elite goalie and he still did dumb poo poo then like play Glass a lot. Seems like a guy who has decent systems but who also has his favorites who suck terribly which I suppose makes him no worse than the average NHL coach but I don't see how it makes him good either.

When he took over the Canucks he didn't have elite Sedins, he had 70pt mid 2000s Sedins who were a lot less impressive. He coached an all defence, tight checking style and took that team to the playoffs on the back of a Hart trophy nominated Luongo. He managed to lead a team that was essentially the Sedins plus the rancid dregs of the WCE era up front to the playoffs and rightfully won the Jack Adams as a result.

He then managed to carefully transition the team to an all offence style built around the Sedins and a skating defence that has become the norm in the NHL today. Pretty much every line combination he developed worked (including turning Alex Burrows into a 35 goal star just thre years after he managed 9 whole points in a season). His system was highly entertaining, and it showed he could be far more than the defence only coach he was hired for. In fact, he's now probably the most adaptable coach out there at the moment. He's drat good at assessing the strengths of his roster and playing to them. He gets overly attached to certain role players, but so does any coach. The Tanner Glass thing was the exception and not the rule in Vancouver. I can't think of any player who wasn't played pretty much the right amount aside from him.

Add into that pioneering some pretty novel tactics like zone starts (which amazingly enough weren't a thing until he realized it was best to just use the Sedins in the attacking zone and everyone immediately copied it) and some variations on zone entries and I'd say he's a pretty drat good coach. Did he benefit from a good roster? Yes, but then again he also got the most out of them and many players from the Canucks at that time credit him with bringing their game to the next level. I don't think it's a complete coincidence that the team lurched into overwhelming suckiness the first couple seasons after he was fired.

Regardless of the teams he's been in charge of, he's been to the playoffs 10 of the 11 years of his second stint as an NHL head coach averaging 103pts a season and been in two SCF and a Conference finals. That's drat impressive no matter how you shake it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 1, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Suspicious posted:

Yeah, '08 '09 was RW defense pairing argument stadium (Lilja sucks!!)

drat, that made me realize that like 90% of us in this thread of been posting here for 10 years or more.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

Obviously it wasn't SAS but that family that had a sign at game 5 of the finals saying how they've been waiting 8 years for this moment are the poster children for why you should hate Pens fans.

That plus the "well I lived through the dark days" comments when those dark days consisted of four seasons out of the playoffs between two stretches of 10+ consecutive years in the playoffs and multiple cups on a team led by a generational superstar.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sid has the brain scrambles and is out for game 4.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/?sn-article=sidney-crosby-diagnosed-concussion-will-miss-game-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I would never have guessed the best statue ever made was in Nashville

• Locked thread