Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

When i made the thread title today, it was referring to CBJ potentially getting knocked out... not SJ going total ham on EDM. :stare:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

e: louie debrusk looks like he has been crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shyduck posted:

So I think the league needs to come down a lot heavier on this nutshot bullshit. I don't know when or how this became vogue but it needs to end

Then how stupid would they look when a head shot gets you a game, and a nut shot gets you 3?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Connor got rowdy last night.

It seemed like this game for him was a year's worth of frustration from nothing done against him getting called all coming out at once now that he can return it without taking a penalty himself.

Zodijackylite posted:

This is what I was suggesting, not bringing back skull-smashing. :psyduck: Spearing is dangerous and it's a major penalty because of that. 95% of these are super obvious, on replay, but might be hard to catch for a ref on-ice. Make it a 1-game suspension. "Because it's the Cup."

There's a lot of dangerous poo poo that happens on ice, is seen, and doesn't get called. When Johnny hockey's finger got broken, Gulutzan said it wasn't a unicorn. it was the "regular hockey play", one of 11+ on him that game, of a two handed chop to the hands. It wouldn't surprise me if "take a pay cut or we'll let goons chop your fingers off" is a Bettman negotiating tactic, because it seems in the regular season it was open season on anybody who could skate well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jehde posted:

Actually it seemed like he was told to take out a vulnerable Couture. Couture was getting all sorts of bullshit right up in what's left of his grill.

Yeah, The Oilers sent their disposable goon, Connor Mcdavid, out to injure a guy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

St. Dogbert posted:

Doesn't even need to be a lot more. I knocked together some numbers a while back that showed that, with one more power play per team per game and a similar league-wide conversion rate, scoring would likely go up to roughly where it was 10 years ago.

It's not just powerplays. Its allowing quick small forwards to make plays instead of being grabbed and held mid deke. Defensemen would have to change they way they play if they can't just grab the guy who can out skate them.

Calling obstruction when it happens would increase scoring, and make the entertaining players more entertaining.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The RECAPITATOR posted:

so.... what's the story?

Some football dude hung himself in prison

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shyduck posted:

Lmao Oilers nutshot dude only got a fine

It was his first offense ever in the NHL, and first since 2013 in anything.

He's not like marchand or crosby with a history.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

Come on, including crosby as having a history is a joke.

Officially, he's clean.

Officially, OJ didn't do it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is it ever okay to spear a man in the nuts?

Yes, if he's trying to steal your purse

and you don't know him.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why would any russian skilled enough to make it in the NHL sign this year and miss the olympics?

Just wait a year, win your gold 10-0 a game, and sign next year!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bitch please

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They don't call it the most dangerous lead for nothin.

I guess i'm kinda glad the oilers tanked game 4 so they didn't go up 3-1 in the series. At least now they have a shot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kilza posted:

I had already made my peace with the Oilers losing the next two games after Game 4, so holy poo poo I can't believe it right now. I can't believe that they came back to tie the game, then just flat out dominated the Sharks in OT and got the win we deserved.

I still fully expect the Sharks to take Game 6, and then who the gently caress knows what will happen in Game 7. But even if we lose the next 2 games, the fact we came back and pushed it to 7 after that horrible Game 4 is still really great.

The win we deserved?

You said you were done. :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If last night's overtime oilers show up to more games, it doesn't matter anyways because the cup's coming back to edmonton :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kilza posted:

Man, seeing the quotes (or gamesmanship) that are coming from the Sharks in this series is fun:
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/855840283212304386

So a 7-0 win in Game 4 wasn't their best? I guess we better expect a 10-0 Sharks win tonight.

Crushing a team that didn't show up isn't their best. Even the canucks could have beat the game 4 oilers, at home even.

e: roger place is sold out tonight. but they'll let you watch in the hallway for free! first come first serve, of course.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/orange-crush-road-game-watch-party-sold-out/c-289024398

gently caress this poo poo. we'll never see affordable playoff tickets :(

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 22, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stiev Awt posted:

Anaheim is hosed IMO

The Oilers eliminated the sharks with a hot goalie, Jones is ranked 4th in the playoffs at 1.70gaa. Gibson had a 2.60 gaa against Calgary.

If the Oilers do to Gibson what they did to Jones, and Talbot does to the Ducks what he did to the rest of the Sharks, they're going to come out on top in at least 10 periods, hopefully in the right places.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Both games tonight, teams blew the most dangerous lead but recovered to get the win. Both games the road team stole home ice advantage.

A good hockey night.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I really hope the oilers can keep Distrait and Mcdavid together on a line for the next 20 years, but hopefully not like chicago where it's 2 highly paid players and an entire team of garbage behind them to the point where they can only score 3 goals in a playoff series.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The oilers sold out their arena during an away game for the watch party, they sold the tickets for $5 a piece with the money going to their charity, and people were scalping tickets.

Scalping tickets sold for charity to an arena where hockey isn't being played.

Maybe edmonton needs a second team, use rexall place and move the senators there, they can't even sell out a second round playoff game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Patrick Maroon with an ear to ear grin in the post game interview because he's still getting paid $500k by the team he just stuck a dagger in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Loqieu posted:

Up 2 games and McDavid only has 1 point so far this series. Pretty impressive.

Yeah, but every second he was on the ice in game 1, he had 2 guys on him, that gives the rest of the team a 4 on 3. He shut down the shutdown men. just by standing around in the neutral zone.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Soft Shell Crab posted:

You gave up like no one has given up before.

Apparently it worked, they haven't lost since.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wonder if the sens will be able to sell out during an eastern finals series against the penguins.

Krime posted:

Sens good or Rangers bad?

no, yes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Captain Internet posted:

Pens had no business getting my hopes up there.

The caps just let them do it for the pile of people who left early to beat traffic

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Revol posted:

There will be no further action taken on Niskanen, he plays Wednesday.

No league action. He's still being forced to spend 2 more days in Pittsburgh.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think Crosby was trying to headbutt Niskanen's fingers. He's a bloodthirsty savage only out to injure, and just came out on the wrong end of it on that play.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Abner Assington posted:

Capitals aren't beating Pittsburgh.

Maybe not pittsburgh, but what about Wilkes-barre/Scranton.

They're 1/10th of the way there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RC Cola posted:

That sucks about Crosby. I hope he's able to keep playing. How many concussions is that now?

5, or as Methot calls it 4 3/4.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slappy Pappy posted:

That urinal is just an invitation to piss on a bunch of strangers.

Good thing it's not a urinal then.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

if only Nuge didn't suck they'd be a pretty dominant team

That whole line has been cold since december.

Nuge has hosed up so many times and cant' win a faceoff to save his life, and they're paying him $6m a year until 2021. They're going to get a 3rd liner and retain 3 mil of his contract when they trade hm.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

it's not, that's true - I'll go ahead and grab my post from the gdt because I'd actually like to have some discussion about it rather than just insults:

he had the opportunity to make the save. Moreover, let's have a look at a part of rule 69:

Ignore the bolding (mine) for a moment: I think the refs probably concluded that that contact was incidental, and the replay shows that it is initiated outside the crease. Now Corey Perry is a poo poo, but I doubt he meant to perfectly position his backswinging foot into Talbots.

e: forgot to address the bolding! A question about it, seems like the coach challenge overrides it? What's the point of that part of the rule now?

Here's the rest of that rule

quote:

(a) If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

(b) If an attacking player initiates any contact, other than incidental contact, with the goalkeeper, while the goalkeeper is outside of his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

(c) In all cases in which an attacking player initiates other than incidental contact with a goalkeeper, whether or not the goalkeeper is inside or outside the goal crease, and whether or not a goal is scored, the offensive player will receive a penalty (minor or major, as the Referee deems appropriate). See also Rule 47 (c) - Charging.

You have to be arguing that talbot is not in his crease right here.

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/859975999764746240

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Can you provide a source on that? I'm looking at the rulebook here and can't find that particular phrasing. Did you edit it? Or paraphrase it?

http://www.nhlofficials.com/rule78.asp

e: twitter gifs and vids have been flaky for a few hours. i've been trying to post that for a while and it finally worked for me, but everything but talbot's blade is in the crease, if that doesn't mean he's in the crease, then goalies have to literally watch their toes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

That's odd, rule 78 in the NHL Interactive rulebook is 'Goals', but okay. From the link you posted:

Are you saying Perry's contact isn't incidental?

He wasn't pushed, and talbot didn't move towards him, it could be claimed it wasn't incidental, but that's not the issue.

The initial contact occured with talbot almost entirely in his crease, with the blade of his skate outside of it. If that mean's he's not "in his crease", then goalies have to start treating the line around the crease as an impenetrable boarder they cannot cross when attackers are near the zone, or they're exposed to "accidental" bumps.

Rule 69.3 from here http://1.cdn.nhle.com/downloads/2016-17_RuleBook.pdf

quote:

69.3 Contact Inside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed

the initial contact doesn't have to be within the goal crease, the goalkeeper has to be within the goal crease. If that is interpreted to mean every inch of the goalie has to be in the goal crease, goaltender interference disappears.

e: copying from the janky PDF so bear with me. futher on in 69.3(page 95 and 96)

quote:

this purpose, a player “establishes a significant position within the crease” when, in the Referee’s judgment, his body, or a substantial portion thereof, is within the goal crease for more than an instantaneous period of time.

So the player having "his body, or a substantial portion there of" in the crease is "in the crease" in terms of the attacking player being in the crease, it should be the same for the goalie.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

How much of the goalie has to be within the crease then? I think the rule is referring to where contact is initiated on each player - ie: is it initiated on a part of the player that is outside the crease. Also, that particular addendum tells refs not to pay too much attention to exactly where contact was made, but rather the nature of it.

And I agree, the rules are vague. I don't really know if that's good or bad - seems like everyone is very annoyed at coaches challenges slowing down the games by making sure offsides are strictly adhered to - so maybe a little vagueness is good?

Thanks! Is there specifically no definition of incidental contact? Or what 'initiating contact' means?

Well if this was a good goal, 100% because 98% of talbot was in the crease.

If the same rules apply to goalies as other players, it's "a significant portion of the body" of the player as decided by the ref. If 98% of talbot isn't a significant portion of him, i don't know what would be"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think the problem is the rules are left vague under the assumption referees aren't paint drinking morons, and that's obviously dead loving wrong.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

okay, so if we grant that - would a screen 3 inches further from Talbot have allowed him to make that save?

I don't think so. I think the refs probably came to the same conclusion, and given that addendum - that they can judge based on the nature of the contact - I think they made the right call.

I think so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGVIo75xGY

You can see momentum is imparted on him.

He would have to drop his stick to move to his right and the shot hasn't been taken yet.

You included :colbert:

Your favorite flavor is probably fire truck red.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 4, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shyduck posted:

Tonight was just the perfect storm of rules and officiating issues more or less. I think NHL officials for the most part do a fantastic job, and stuff like the offsides goal is a scenario that would be missed by most linesmen. I also think they got it wrong with the waved icing in overtime, but to a very slim extent I can see why it happened. Puck slowed down before the goal line, and so did the player. It's a lovely, tough call. Officials had a rough night tonight.

If they weren't consistently garbage, most posters would be surprised instead of frustrated. The refs blew 2 calls that resulted in 2 goals, completely erasing the fantastic first period efforts of a team. The requirement of the coach to step in and point out what they did wrong resulted in the first blown call handcuffing him when they blew the second.

3 things could have fixed this.

1. A referee with 300 HD camera angles being able to provide input on questionable goals without having to be asked and without risk to the harmed team and without a significant delay of the game.
2. clear rules and consistent reffing.
3. A referee checking every "near-miss" offside automatically while play continues, and being able to stop play if it is offside so we don't lose 5 minutes of game and a goal because it was offside the whole time and essentially meaningless.

A blind ref who missed it when it happened right in front of them while it was the only thing they should have been looking at isn't going to suddenly see it on an ipad. A blind ref being given absolute power over whether to announce to a crowd full of people who already hate him that he made a mistake probably isn't going to admit it.

Give the coach a coaches challenge with the knowledge that somebody has probably already reviewed the situation and didn't feel it warranted voluntary intervention.

JawKnee posted:

To be honest, for as rigorous as freezing step-by-step can be for me on a youtube video, it looks like perry is entirely outside the crease on that entire play (from the overhead view) - talbots mask, stick, and food are at best on the line

Okay. assume he is. Does that mean any small portion of the goalie outside of the crease is open game to contact even if he is largely inside the crease. Picture game 7, stanley cup finals, Canucks vs Bruins, and Marchand keeps skating full speed nearly clipping the line around the crease at every opportunity waiting for the goalie to mistakenly poke a toe over the line.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I think that you have no loving idea how hard it is to officiate an NHL speed hockey game.

Then maybe we should provide them with modern tools with the goal of achieving consistency, fairness, and game flow. :shrug:

Or let them stare at an ipad for 10 minutes and stick to their guns to defend their pride.

e: also, try john deere green, it's delicious.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

No, of course not - and the rules are clear on this - intentional contact anywhere is not allowed. This contact doesn't look intentional though. As I said earlier: Perry is a poo poo - but he can't see through the back of his head where Talbot is - which tends to take intent out of it. I think he definitely intended to screen Talbot - even at a very close distance. I doubt he intended to interfere with him (mostly because it's against the rules, rather than Perry actually giving a poo poo about being nice)

If the difference between intentional contact and incidental contact is whether or not the player is looking at where his feet are, every Marchand sloughfoot was incidental contact. if any part of the goalie sticking out of the crease when the majority of the goalie is inside the crease opens him up to incidental contact that interferes with his movement, we will see a lot more of it from dirty players who accidentally step on the goalies skate battling in front or skate by quickly and "oops" bumped your pads that were hanging out of the crease. If that's the case, i think we need to move to the IIHF crease, or goalies will have to hug the post when the puck is at the center of the faceoff circle.

If the officiating continues to be wishywashy and seemingly aimed at extending games and series, we will see more confusion and anger. If we keep seeing the game stopped so a ref can stare at an ipad, and offsides up on the jumbotron within seconds of a goal with no recourse beyond forcing the ref to stare at an ipad for 5 minutes, we'll see fans watching something else.

Perry didn't intend to skate into talbot, but he made no effort to avoid him until contact was made. contact was made, it resulted in a goal. Talbot would have had a hard time determining whether or not his skate was completely within the lines of the crease without looking down, also affecting his ability to do his job. My frustration doesn't entirely stem from this single moment in this single game, but from the poor, inconsistent, and unpredictable officiating through the entire season which has sunk to new lows in these playoffs. I may be more emotional about this specific case because it caused my team to lose an important game 4.

Just to demonstrate my point. This is wider ice but you still get the idea.

Where the goalie is in this picture would be largely inside the NHL crease, with a foot outside the crease. If incidental contact that prevented them from making a save happened with the goalie in this position, it should be interference. With an NHL crease, the goalie would have to be a foot to the right to be inside the crease, and therefor deeper in the net. Where the goalie is standing in this picture is not a position protected from incidental contact that causes a goal in the NHL based on today's referee's interpretation of the rules.

I don't want to see goalie's needing to keep their rear end hanging over the goal line to be protected from dirty players.

e: if the oilers lose this series, foot out of the crease will become the new foot in the crease, and Brett Hull can finally be released from his curse.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I understand those realities, and discussing it to death won't fix anything, but it does ease the frustration.

Also, I'm sorry, Kalenn, I'm sure you're a wonderful, fully functional individual.

• Locked thread