Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

As much as I like seeing the Oilers Oiler it up, it's too early to have a goddamn meltdown. Chillax, it's just tied now. It's not like you were up 3-0 on the Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This is by far the best series of them all. It has everything: Shutouts, overtimes, game misconducts, meltdowns...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jehde posted:

This is by far the best series of them all. It has everything: Shutouts, overtimes, game misconducts, meltdowns...

And not just from CAS this time!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Levitate posted:

If this was someone other than a guy like Ott I'd say it was accidental but it sure looks like he tried to kick Zuccarello

https://streamable.com/p87sa

Yep, DPS won't do anything with that tho, especially if the refs didn't assess anything during the game

Kilza posted:

Honestly, I'm just done after tonight's game. I felt positive going into the game, but I stopped watching after it was 4-0, and seeing it end up 7-0 just makes things worse. All those positive feelings are gone. That was the worst game the Oilers played all season, and it's beyond frustrating when the Oilers had been the better team in the series, could've been up 3-0 if they didn't fall asleep in Game 1, and instead now they're tied 2-2. But there's no chance in hell they're winning another game in this series. They're done. Stick the :fork: in them, they aren't coming back.

At least we made the playoffs, at least we won 2 games, and at least the Flames still suck more than we do. Now hopefully Chiarelli does some work in the off-season to make us better, because this team isn't going far the way they are right now.

Congrats on your series win, Sharks fans.

Is this a literal 'they're tied I give up' post? I've never seen one of these before.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

yellowcar posted:

As much as I like seeing the Oilers Oiler it up, it's too early to have a goddamn meltdown. Chillax, it's just tied now. It's not like you were up 3-0 on the Kings.

as we all know, 3-0 is the most dangerous lead

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Captain Internet posted:

Matthews will win the Calder and Babs will win the Jack Adams because it's loving Toronto. It should be Gulutzan but he's the west and Alberta. But only Toronto matters.

Gulutzan's going to finish second in Alberta. Adams finalists will be Babs, McLellan and Torts in some order because that's how Adams voting works.

From there, Torts loses points because voters think he's an rear end. McLellan might lose points because the Oilers should have been good years ago so their improvement might be discounted. Babs had the lowest increase of the 3 but voters are dumb and last overall will feel like the Leafs started at a lower place than a point behind the Oilers last year and he gets narrative points for never winning before.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So I think the league needs to come down a lot heavier on this nutshot bullshit. I don't know when or how this became vogue but it needs to end

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shyduck posted:

So I think the league needs to come down a lot heavier on this nutshot bullshit. I don't know when or how this became vogue but it needs to end

Then how stupid would they look when a head shot gets you a game, and a nut shot gets you 3?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

shyduck posted:

Maybe they should actually do loving anything to their biggest name when he does it.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Powershift posted:

Then how stupid would they look when a head shot gets you a game, and a nut shot gets you 3?

Maybe they'd actually do more than gently caress-all about headshots, then.

Oh, who am I kidding, that would require DOPS actually care about things like... doing a job, or player safety. :v:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Powershift posted:

3 for a nut shot, 2 for the head, 1 for just the shaft.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It's funny how the decline of fighting has coincided with the rise of stick-swinging, as has been forewarned by Stan Fischler dating back to 1961. Sucker punching, grounding and pounding, and old-fashioned enforcing have been replaced by nasty slashing and stickwork that refs decide to not call in the playoffs, and nutshots that the league rarely suspends for because they're not currently facing lawsuits about their past neglect of.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Powershift posted:

As they say in Edmonton, that's gonna hurt when he sobers up.

people sober up in edmonton? hosed up

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Zodijackylite posted:

It's funny how the decline of fighting has coincided with the rise of stick-swinging, as has been forewarned by Stan Fischler dating back to 1961. Sucker punching, grounding and pounding, and old-fashioned enforcing have been replaced by nasty slashing and stickwork that refs decide to not call in the playoffs, and nutshots that the league rarely suspends for because they're not currently facing lawsuits about their past neglect of.

I mean stickwork is unfortunate but probably still preferable to CTE in the long term.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

I would blame Master Ken:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyXhysmMNhE

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

is there any actual evidence of this

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

is there any actual evidence of this

Hockey players never played dirty prior to the advent of the instigator. This is a verifiable fact and Mark Messier, Shayne Churla, Pavel Bure, Claude Lemieux, Tiger Williams, Bobby Clarke, Marty McSorely and Ulf Samuelsson all made a name for themselves for being just swell role models on and off the ice.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aphrodite posted:

He's not getting the Jack Adams for a 5th place to 4th place finish.

Torts took the CBJ from 8th to 3rd in the Metro and a gain of 30-some points.

I'm still figuring they might find a way to give it to Babcock Because Toronto. Weren't the Leafs expected to be a bubble team this season (i.e., they met expectations)?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Leafs were expected to improve, but still be solidly out of the playoffs. Instead they went from picking first overall to 95 points in a single season. Babcock is going to win it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

Torts took the CBJ from 8th to 3rd in the Metro and a gain of 30-some points.

I'm still figuring they might find a way to give it to Babcock Because Toronto. Weren't the Leafs expected to be a bubble team this season (i.e., they met expectations)?

They'll factor in Columbus crashing in the playoffs vs the maple leafs already making a decent showing.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Players don't play dirty, instigator penalty dirtys players.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

They'll factor in Columbus crashing in the playoffs vs the maple leafs already making a decent showing.

The votes were already cast.

Babcock will win, but doesn't deserve to.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Aphrodite posted:

The votes were already cast.

Leafs.txt

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
id watch the babadook in a playoffs game

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The Jack Adams has been the "coach of the team that most exceeded pre-season expectations award' for years now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah and I think that's still Columbus.

But some people think they underperformed last year, so that maybe their jump from expectation to finish isn't as high.

I mean Torts doesn't deserve it either because he didn't actually do a good job coaching and his recent comments show he's still a loving moron who learned the wrong lessons, but all that counts is wins.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Jack Adams award, or as it is otherwise known, the award for the coach of the team that's better than its preseason predictions and nothing else.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Torts is this year's Patrick Roy. His team was buoyed by ridiculous goaltending and some good puck luck.

Babcock is an actually good coach who is coaching an actually good team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Twin Cinema posted:

The Jack Adams award, or as it is otherwise known, the award for the coach of the team that's better than its preseason predictions and nothing else.

So does it go to Therrien or Julien?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Connor got rowdy last night.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Torts is this year's Patrick Roy. His team was buoyed by ridiculous goaltending and some good puck luck.

Nothing impressive about below 500 except that it still gets a playoff spot.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

ThinkTank posted:

Connor got rowdy last night.

That's actually pretty hosed up considering how mangled Couture's mouth and face are right now. Good thing he didn't make contact.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slappy Pappy posted:

That's actually pretty hosed up considering how mangled Couture's mouth and face are right now. Good thing he didn't make contact.

C'mon man, he was born looking like that. Show some consideration.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Slappy Pappy posted:

I kinda wish he'd connected so he'd get suspended. That's dirty as hell.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jordan7hm posted:

Roy also won the Jack Adams in his Patrick Roy year. I don't know if there was a Babcock-esque coach nominated that year, but Roy took the hardware, for better or worse.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
that was a totally normally amount of dirty and if a guy cant take a elbow to the face he should maybe wear a cage or not be on the ice

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

C'mon man, he was born looking like that. Show some consideration.

One of the best chirps I've ever heard was aimed at Tuukka Rask: "Whoa, bud, leave the mask down lookin' like that."

e- If anybody wants to know what Torts defines as "lovely music", here's an example (playing in the background):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HzELjc9mtA&t=165s

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 19, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

violent sex idiot posted:

that was a totally normally amount of dirty and if a guy cant take a elbow to the face he should maybe wear a cage or not be on the ice

The NHL prohibits cages because it would make the player an unmarketable pussy. You're only allowed to use them if you have a facial injury, in which case you've been revealed to be a pussy already but they can market your injury.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

glynnenstein posted:

The NHL prohibits cages because it would make the player an unmarketable pussy. You're only allowed to use them if you have a facial injury, in which case you've been revealed to be a pussy already but they can market your injury.

i know, we are talking about logan couture the guy whos entire mouth is currently a bowl of soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I hope Crosby hits every Jackets player in the dick next game and scores three hattricks and doesn't get any penaltys

• Locked thread