Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

God I hope Edmonton get swept for all those years of tanking the absolute poo poo out of the draft lottery.
They never tanked, and in fact always tried to add expensive veterans and fired their coaches quickly. They lost the good old fashioned way, by having incompetent management make a crappy roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Is this the most favoured matchup the capitals have had in recent memory? I know they were the 1 seed vs. montreal in the quarterfinals before when they were Halak'd. But I imagine montreal still had a few people feeling they could make a splash.

Literally every single prediction is picking washington at 4-1 or 4-0, which is very obvious. I'm just surprised there's not even a homer wanting to throw toronto a game 6 or game 7 bone.
The Montreal series was a bigger mismatch. Everyone was predicting a sweep, and a more pronounced one that what people are predicting now. Saying it's very obvious that is dumb as hell, and the 2010 series is a good reason for that. The Capitals outplayed Montreal by a staggering degree, and a goaltending matchup that should have been pretty close turned into a gigantic chasm. There are no series now or in the past 20 years where you should have been that surprised to see an upset, because it takes one goaltender having the series of his life to shift any matchup.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Aurora posted:

they probably could've easily won the cup
dumb as hell

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Plus Corson, Hawerchuk, and Courtnall. I think that team failed because their goaltending wasn't so hot (Fuhr, a washed up Jon Casey and Bruce Racine). Injuries slowed them down somewhat, also.
It was also after Hull/Gretzky fell off and before Pronger became good. They barely had Gretzky, he was a deadline acquisition who left in the offseason. They were huge underdogs against the Red Wings who was the best regular season team since 77 so it wasnt surprising to anyone that they lost (and it was surprising that they got to Game 7 OT).

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Porrima posted:

Could someone tell a non-anglo about homerism? I know what the term means, but from where does it come from? Homer Simpson is the only homer I know but is this something older?
Home, as in the hometown team.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It's a better team than the 2009 champs.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
:pwn:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
think of how much mcdavid has owned after they put draisaitl on his line. and then think, wow, next theyre gonna replace maroon with someone good

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah I think we can safely say that's going to be 2.

LA vs. NJ is probably 2 as well - fatman and Doughty. Elias & some of the LA forwards might end up sneaking in, but probably shouldn't.
I think people have this idea that the Hall is going to get super strict all of the sudden and I dont know why.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Pleasantly surprised they went with Hedman instead of Keith/Suter/Weber.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

It's almost like his injury wasn't anywhere near as severe as his reaction to it made it out to be.

Edit: As a pens fan, maybe it is just more obvious to me when someone who is paid a lot of money is hamming it up.
You're an idiot.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Ovie saw an opportunity to get a powerplay out of a border line hit and took it. I don't know why people can't just admit that and move on. Players do it all the time.
His knee bent back

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Similarly Bickell wasn't nominated for the Canes. Instead it was Derek Ryan.

Although they could've nominated either guy anyways, Laperriere won when he would never play a game that season or ever again.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno about "better" but Letang certainly isn't any worse than Subban:

Subban is better.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Is it different between round 1 and 2? CBC got both the Leafs and Habs.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Jesus Christ.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Honestly Dorion hasn't done a whole lot worth screaming about one way or the other yet. Extending Claesson is something that would've been "One more bullshit move" if it'd been Murray but I think the new guy gets to take a flyer and see if the lovely defenseman they turned into a sketchy defenseman won't mature into a competent defenseman
Which is to say he hasn't done much besides Zibanejad for Brassard, which is a bad move regardless of what voodoo metrics you use to call Brassard your best forward. He had a bunch of deadline deals which meant little and the Burrows trade is still real dumb.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

RC Cola posted:

It'll be great when Crosby wins another Conn Symthe with Kessel having 20 more points in the post season.
God Crosby is good. Did you know Kessel eats hot dogs? How lazy. Not like good ol Canadian boy Crosby.
Crosby was the right pick last year and has also been better so far.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The NHL hasn't given Crosby an award he didn't deserve and there's a much better argument that he should also have won the Hart in 2010 or 2013.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

The 2016-17 Conn Smythe was far more of a career recognition thing than a commendation of his play that year.
I really don't buy that. It would've been hard to give it to any Shark given that Pittsburgh won pretty decisively and there wasn't much consensus over which Shark would win anyways. The argument was really between Crosby and Kessel. I thought Crosby was a pretty easy choice myself since it was a small gap in offensive production while Crosby was more valuable everywhere else.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Uh. Ceci is terrible, and Phaneuf isn't all that much better, but the players who are below them on the depth chart are just flat out worse than them.

Wideman was baaaad against Boston.
Wideman was fine in the regular season and I think his issues against Boston are really overblown because a goal went in off him. For instance, he was still a lot better than Ceci. They also are going to re-insert Borowiecki back into the lineup as soon as he is healthy, which adds on to what tourist was saying.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Crosby getting concussed while the Pens are on the verge of having a good shot at a repeat is the most Pens thing ever.
Why do people say things like this.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Because looking like world beaters and then having injuries to super stars to derail that is kinda their thing?
The only playoffs they were really hurt for was this year and 2011, which seems pretty normal over the course of 11 years. Coupled with the "if my team wasnt currently the Cup champions" bit it's an obnoxious thing to say about your team that has experienced an absurd amount of luck and which is the 2nd most successful team of the past decade and the 2nd most successful team since the beginning of the 90's.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
A lot of goalies light up the AHL and never do anything in the NHL.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://vimeo.com/141745871

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

The 03/04 Avs casually added Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne for peanuts each just because they could (too bad they had David Aebischer in net). The pre salary cap days were pretty cool if you supported a team that could afford a $95M payroll, but sucked for everyone else.
Aebischer was good that year, while Kariya and Selanne were bad. Even with people assuming that Aebischer would be a bottom 5 goalie they were seen as Cup favourites, there lines were tanguay-Forsberg-Hejduk a year after they tore apart the NHL and Kariya-Sakic-Selanne when Sakic was still a top 5 player and which reunited Kariya and Selanne from their Mighty Duck days. Their defense was really good too.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Blake winning the 98 Norris over Lidstrom was a tragedy.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/senators-veteran-chris-neil-is-emerging-as-the-key-to-the-series/article34915822/

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

This is gonna look great when he tackles some guy to punch him in the face and get thrown out of the game again, creating a three-on-one that gives up the GWG in the process.
I mean, Game 5 was the quintessential Chris Neil game. He was on for 2:26 and took 12 minutes in penalties.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The Senators were so energized by his appearance that they jumped out to a quick 2 goal deficit.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schlesische posted:

I don't think it is him. It could be, but he's made a *lot* of jokes about hockey in the past and is very definitively a Soccer first person.
You can go to a game and not be a super fan.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Crappy teams have made the finals every now and then, even in the 80's when the deck was stacked against you a lot more than now, and making it cheaply to the conference finals happens all the time.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Aurora posted:

What was the last actually awful team in the SCF? The 2012 Devils?
I wouldn't say that the 2012 Devils were awful, or the 2010 Flyers.

2003 Ducks would be my answer.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

iospace posted:

What year did the kings win as a very low seed again?
2012 and they'd be a bad example.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

"well the Pens couldn't possibly win this series with all these injuries"
You'd have to have been a total idiot to have ever thought that

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Peter Laviolette is A Good Coach and must be some kind of incredible rear end in a top hat to have gotten fired early in the season by the Hurricanes in favor of Paul Maurice: The Sequel and then by the Flyers in favor of... Craig Berube?
Teams fire coaches a lot. Carolina had 2 disappointing seasons after their Cup run and Flyers had a disappointing year in 2013 when there were ~some~ expectations of being a contender, followed by a bad start in 2014.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It's coming home.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It's coming home.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

"That was really boring hockey"

Shots were 35 (OTT) - 28 (PIT)

Yup. Totally boring hockey.
It was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Has Ottawa ever had an actual good goalie, other than a few minutes of Hasek? It feels like they get these marginal guys who play above their head for a little while and then sag hard (Lalime, Emery, Aebischer, etc).
Anderson

• Locked thread