Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i hate national broadcast crews because they try and turn the sport into baseball. i don't care about what college they went to or any of the storylines, i just want a tyson nash hype man yelling about dangles and top shelf cheddar and drew remenda bitching about defensive awareness and the play by play guy gets the visiting team names wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Powershift posted:

Talbot got a shutout and an assist on a McDavid goal and didn't even get in the top 3 stars. granted he only made 16 save. 10 even strength, 5 in 12 minutes of PK, and 1 shorthanded.

The Sharks were so bad they made the oilers D look good. both goals given up short handed. I wonder who got more shots on the Sharks powerplays.

nhl.com says the 3 stars were kassian/talbot/mcdavid

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

He absolutely ripped up the AHL too. He's for real.

I'm glad you like him but lmao at these two sentences being placed back to back.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Full face protection fucks with the NHL advising refs to not let players take off their helmets/elbow pads (is the helmet one still a rule? all i find is articles from 2013 or so)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Being well over a PPG at age 21 in the AHL is usually a pretty good indication you've got somethin' goin there. Especially when you then follow it up with 33 in 40 NHL games.

Pretty hard to fluke your way to 75 points in 73 pro games in one year.

I guess this is the correct view when your team is the penguins

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it looked like the marchand hit. kadri's lucky ovechkin is sturdier than sami salo or else it'd probably be 5 and a game

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mike ribeiro basically raped a child and all r-lam and the rest of the media did was laugh at the coyotes and write articles about how he deserved a second chance

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/859816689264861186

Well drat that was quick

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Now and again, I see someone on twitter pipe up with "they should remove offsides entirely if they want to increase goals" and sometimes I think about it and am like sure why not? What's the worse that could happen we got rid of the 2 line pass.

Getting rid of the two line pass ruined hockey though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If you aren't willing to stick a fork in them then save your screed

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Before corsi era: Justin schultz is bad
After corsi era: Justin schultz is good

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

iospace posted:

So, regarding reviews, thought of this a bit.

Right now, the four major North American sports have a split as to who does the reviewing. Currently, the MLB is the only one where someone who is not at the game makes the final call, and the NFL is moving to that system this upcoming season. Even with the NFL, it was the head ref reviewing the play, and chances are, it was rarely on a call that he himself made, meaning he wasn't going to second guess himself.

The NBA and NHL have the refs (and linemen) reviewing their own calls. This leads to "I was right the first time and you can't convince me." Mind you, my NBA subset is rather small, but they seem willing to admit they're wrong and initiate review themselves, not by coach's request (I think, someone more familiar with the NBA can verify for me). I think the other thing for the NBA is they understand that the speed is a factor and what looks one way in real time is completely different in slow-mo.

NBA is split on in house/review center replays: http://official.nba.com/2015-16-updates/

I really like how the NBA has required reviews and allows officials to initiate reviews. With fouls being reviewed you can actually have the refs try and play mediator instead of sitting back and taking note of the fouls while pushing escalates into a line brawl. Ref initiated reviews means there's less of a standoff between refs and coaches over burning their challenge. Actually reviewing penalties means diving gets called out right then and there instead of a week later after however many dives to trigger a fine and thus a press release. Hockey might even be more conducive to the NBA replay/foul system because there's no way they can play the foul game in the final minutes of a game.

Unfortunately I think most of this works in the NBA because of years of a more friendly culture between refs and players, so there's no quick fix in the NHL by just stealing the NBA's replay system.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Can I share a really touching hockey story with you guys?

http://www.tsn.ca/turris-the-ot-hero-then-works-overtime-to-be-a-hero-off-the-ice-1.745292

I still can't believe the 'Yotes wanted him gone for "character reasons".

quote:

Coyotes general manager Don Maloney's stance has been that he wouldn't trade Turris. And that hasn't changed.

"The CBA gives us certain rights to Turris and we are exercising our rights," Maloney told ESPN.com in an email Thursday. "There will be a point in the future Turris will have the right to decide who he wants to play for and how much he will accept.

"He is not at this stage, given his age and experience. If he wants to play in the NHL this season, he will re-sign with us. We will not trade his rights under any circumstances and are prepared to live with the consequences if he decides to sit out this, and future, seasons."

Regardless about what you feel about the RFA process, I'm not sure how you can read that and think that the coyotes wanted him gone

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drat

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

whatis posted:

i like the ducks. most of their players are complete jerks and its hilarious to watch kesler, perry, and getzlaf screw with people when i have no vested interest in the outcome.

Yeah, they play the heel really well. Domi one-punched kesler and the ducks haven't done anything dirty to my team this year so I can just laugh at all the stupid poo poo they do and take

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_MU5sTehA

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

iospace posted:

What if they draft him?

no move clause

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

.Spec posted:

He's only got a modified NTC. Can a player include Teams That Don't Exist on their do not trade list?

capfriendly lists a no move clause too

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Turbo Jesus posted:

Is there any reason why Lambert sets people off so much in his comments? I like him too, but man do people ever get triggered by anything he posts on Puck Daddy.

he's the first take of hockey. or maybe the one with cowherd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they put american cheese on stl pizza

• Locked thread