Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Besides Rangers and Pens, the Caps definitely pants shat against Montreal in 2010. 2008 against the Flyers might count, but 1989 against the Flyers definitely counts. The cup final against Detroit in 1998 was a sweep, but people forget how close it really was and the Caps actually led in game 2 when Tikkanen missed the empty net and that was deeply making GBS threads. The 1987 Easter Epic was a pants making GBS threads for the ages. They also blew a 2-0 series lead to the Isles in 1985. poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

MononcQc posted:

Also the Habs beat the Pens in a similar fashion that year and it was an amazing time to be a Habs fan, up until they burnt down part of the city shat themselves against Philly. I was 5 years old in 93 and so 2010 was definitely the best Habs series I could see in real time and fully grasp what was going on.

To be honest, as a Caps fan I find a lot of solace that so many of our playoff collapses have been against either eventual Cup champs or against teams that were not having a one-off gently caress DC moment.

Though "a lot of solace" = basically none at all and I am hollow inside.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

All fights with fans inside the Verizon Center have been the fault of John Tortorella.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Matt Zerella posted:

How can you cheer at the wrong time when you have constant triple horn blasts reminding you?

Horn guy is just still very proud that he's the only guy who can actually make a vuvuzela create the noise it's supposed to make.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

As a human with joints I feel really bad for Polak.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Unless a player is killed on the ice by an injury that would plausibly be prevented by a cage, I don't think you'll see them. Vision, fighting, danger to un-caged others, marketing faces, etc.

Kawalimus posted:

Even the year we won it we got lucky cause all the other top seeds got upset and then Detroit took us apart in the finals.

The Wings were the better team and badly out-shot the Caps, but there were 3 games decided by 1 goal including OT in game 2. If Tikkanen doesn't miss an empty net and the Caps are up 4-1 in game 2 I think they win that and split on the road, come back home with confidence and maybe they have a shot. Taking a game from a heavy favorite on their own ice is exactly how an underdog team steals a seri FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

xzzy posted:

The marketing excuse is the most bullshit reason for not using cages of them all. The most profitable league in north america has cages in front of every player's face when they're on the field and they somehow manage to market the gently caress out of their athletes just fine.

It's so silly that "looking cool" is a more justifiable excuse.

The argument comes down to visibility vs safety. As long as there's a performance advantage to using visors, visors will be what NHLers use. No one cares about safety when they have free access to top shelf painkillers and unlimited access to reconstructive surgery.

I didn't say they were good reasons, but this is the NHL where part of the resistance to helmets was because it impacted identifying players.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Here's a cool article about William Nylander's time in DC. I saw his dad coaching him before a beer league game of mine and that little bastard was dominating the older kids who towered over him.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Boston was second in CF% this season, for what that's worth*.

* The Kings were #1

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Caps don't really fold in the playoffs. They've lost every goddamned time, but the usual routine is to massively outplay their opponents and still manage to not win. Though this playoff series, which is 2-1 and still completely winnable by the Caps, has been closer than series past in the course of play, I think the Caps carried their fair share of it (especially if I helpfully blackout the third period last night.) Noted Caps playoff choker Kevin Shattenkirk missed a WIDE OPEN NET when they still had momentum and seemed for all the world like the team that would win, but that was a turning point and you could see it at the time. I guessed the Caps in 6 because if you paid attention to the last 20 games, the Leafs were pretty loving good so this isn't a shocking place to be to me, but christ almighty the NARRATIVE is so loving oppressing as a fan of DC sports. Go Wizards!

e: Oh yeah. Trotz, dude. Wtf? Play the good players. Hopefully he'll feel empowered to use his actual coaching powers and put together optimal D combos.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 18, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, San Jose looks beaten here already and I don't know why. The only consolation I have is that the Ducks have been on fire for the last two months and play the type of game that seems to neutralize players like McDavid.

I still say the Caps win this series, but man the Leafs have shown themselves to be formidable opponents so far. There hasn't really been a single stretch where they've looked like the team 25 points lower in the standings. They're going to be a good team next year.

I haven't taken a look at the numbers, but I see Dellow and some others on twitter are pointing at Marleau.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Players don't play dirty, instigator penalty dirtys players.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

violent sex idiot posted:

that was a totally normally amount of dirty and if a guy cant take a elbow to the face he should maybe wear a cage or not be on the ice

The NHL prohibits cages because it would make the player an unmarketable pussy. You're only allowed to use them if you have a facial injury, in which case you've been revealed to be a pussy already but they can market your injury.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

violent sex idiot posted:

i know, we are talking about logan couture the guy whos entire mouth is currently a bowl of soup

Maybe the NHL is waiting for pictures of his mouth to show up on t-shirts?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

AsInHowe posted:

Doesn't she have AIDS

reddit.com is over there

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Kadri is a cancer on the league confirmed.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No, I grabbed the angle that's relevant and shows the target height of impact. That ovi's knee gets hit is incidental to the hip check, sucks that he was hurt for 60s or so but still not an illegal check

The knee determines everything.

NHL Rulebook posted:

A player may not deliver a check in a “clipping”
manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver
a check on or below an opponent’s knees.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No, the phrase you quoted is specifically about what the active player does - may not lower body to target. Again, while Ovi's knee took some impact or got hyperextended from thigh impact, Kadri didn't lower his body to target the knee

The reason I picked the picture above is it shows the height of his hips at the time of impact. His leg is fully extended and he is hip to hip. The example of clipping in the DPS vid has the active player with both knees very bent and he dips down and no part of his body contacts the target player above the bottom of the pants. They even say in the video about using the pants as the reference to judge whether it's a clip or not.

Lol. "on an opponents knees" is talking about where he hits Ovi, dude.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Tom Wilson used to be a mean checky-man but now he's a playoff goal scorer who will play with your puppies.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It was nice of him to lie to Chara about the 5 years, like that. Pump his tires a little.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pierre ruins games for me. I can't stand his voice, I don't care for his useless background knowledge gimmick, and I think his analysis is facile and often wrong. I'll have to turn on a radio broadcast and mute the TV for the rest of this year's Caps games.

Emerick is cool, though I'm noticing him flubbing names more often this year in the couple games of his I've caught.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pierre McGuire's biggest problem last time he was working for a hockey team was that nobody took him seriously and respected him.

I don't think he's got that solved yet.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

That tweet about Fiala seems to have been deleted, so maybe it's not that serious.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Gunjin posted:

Not happy with the start of the second period or the final score last night, but if the Caps can keep at it like they did after the second Pens goal I think they still have a good shot at this.

I'm not that worried, right now. I mean, yeah, this exact scenario has happened multiple times in years past, but the Caps should come out on top in the end.

https://twitter.com/muneebalamcu/status/857784095388168193

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/857784614349398017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Gunjin posted:

It would help also if the officiating wasn't a garbage fire.

Yeah. I thought the refs were going to call a tight, regular season style game based on that (pretty soft) early Ovie interference penalty, but no, just random shitiness.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/davelozo/status/859434745817702403

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The only racists in DC are the anti-russian hockey journalists when they come to town and the people who run our country.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ducks goal seems fine to me because I don't think we should call that level of contact interference in the NHL.

Oshie slash is whatever, that's gonna happen. I'm pretty at peace with missed calls in hockey and prefer that to stopping the game ever so often for 5 minutes to figure poo poo out.

But obviously Tom Wilson should cripple Bonino at the next opportunity.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Schlesische posted:

I've seen worse (more ticky-tack and ridiculously called or more obvious and blatantly not called) called this year, and I'd argue consistently getting the wrong decision is more important that inconsistently getting the right one. You can reliably fix one of those, you can't really do a thing about the other.

Oh, I completely agree. Where the line is drawn is really a pretty subjective decision, but being consistent on calling to that line is the part that's really important for fairness. That said, I don't think it's important enough to stop the game to get it "right."

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Crosby sidelined due to mild concussion - 01-06-10

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Page 87. Crosby resurrection confirmed.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

T-Bone posted:

Fleury shooting that puck at Grubauer and then taping over Niskanen on his mask made me like him even more, thank god for crazy goalies

Did he though?

https://twitter.com/QuesoElDiablo/status/859924359544160256

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Weird that he wrote it in sharpie after designing the mask this summer.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

MAF and Niskanen must have a volatile relationship.

Summer 2016: out
Winter 16/17: in
Spring 2017: out
Summer 2017: ???

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Sure, but the Pens and Caps are playing the Pens and Caps.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ovie has been Jeckyll and Hyde in this series. At 5v5 he was good in game 1 and really good in game 2, but he was pretty bad in games 3 and 4. I would have preferred that it wasn't an elimination game that Trotz was shaking things up, but I can see why he might. I also wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to the usual combos early in game 5.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I haven't actually checked but it seems like theees a lot of low cf teams making the post season. I know the Rangers are a breakout team these days. Don't know about the others as muv

The spread between good and bad possession teams is much smaller than in past years because, for all their old timey grit n' compete, coaches and GMs are directly trying to improve in that aspect.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Score effects are only part of the story, Caps shot rates have been high even when not trailing plenty of stretches in this series. Matchups have been a problem at moments; think of Alzner and Orpik watching Hornqvist skate right by. They've had some bad luck with shots including hitting 4 posts in one of these games, but there's been some major errors on their part at bad times and they're making their own luck to a large extent. Holtby has been great for stretches and then... I dunno. The penalties speak for themselves and say a couple things.

Honestly, I do think there's a psychological element at play. They're gripping the stick too tight, which sounds like some old time horseshit but playing with confidence is a very real thing and the Caps have looked less confident than they have all season for parts of these playoffs. The start of game 4 was so disjointed and unfocused and just terrible hockey from them. I don't know how you fix that; maybe they just need a little luck for a stretch. If they lose tomorrow the choke will be the story, but they haven't been so far from winning. In match-ups like this one, little differences define postseason hockey.

e: I got distracted halfway through writing that, so I'll just leave this. Imagine it goes up with the thing about matchups and is mostly referring to which 6 defensemen are skated each night.

https://twitter.com/JapersRink/status/838915911696461824

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 6, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I can't believe they let that goal stand. Remember when this happened way back in the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Aye Doc posted:

what a bad selljob by backstrom. if he had the veteran know-how of a seasoned cheater and deceiver like ryan kesler, this goal would have stood

This is a true. Nicky is good-hearted and honest, and always trying to set a good example for the kids.

• Locked thread