Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It appears that the Pittsburgh Penguins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

A Penguins / Oilers Stanley Cup Finals? It's more likely than you think!

Apr 7, 2003

"These athletes aren't like they were in my day! Back then they had respect for each other!"
*'my day' was a segregated era*

Apr 7, 2003

yellowcar posted:

:barf: I'd rather have the Pens win another Cup.

I have good news for you!

Apr 7, 2003

Kilza posted:

I think Murray's played his last game as a Penguin.

That's crazy talk, Murray is the goaltender of the future. MAF is the hot hand, so that's who they're riding. If MAF shits the bed bad, Sullivan will swap.

The Pens have been loading up hard on young talent and are not going to throw away a young Finals caliber goalie.

Apr 7, 2003

Juvi posted:

Pens played like complete poo poo while MAF stood on his head for a period and a half and then Sid decided to do Sid things and 6-2 is your final.

Pens had no business even being in this game. I don't understand how but it 2-0.

I, too, am a giant loser who doesn't understand why my loser team lost to a winner team.

Apr 7, 2003

"This team played like poo poo and beat my team 6-2, adurrdurrrrrrrr"

Apr 7, 2003

I'm super shocked that multiple Canadian teams are in the second round.

Apr 7, 2003

Pens / Oilers finals gonna own. Can't wait for the Pens to go back to back.

Apr 7, 2003

Mike Works posted:

I'm not cheering for the Pens nor the Caps, but is it at all a possibility that Bonino could be fined for embellishing? I think generally they just do that for diving.

That's a part of the game. If he can sell a penalty that makes him a better player.

Apr 7, 2003

Gio posted:

- SAS established progressive hockey opinion

"We do not play baseball. We play professional baseball. Amateurs play games. We are paid to win games. There are rules, and there are consequences if you break them. If you are a pro, then you often don't decide to cheat based on whether it's 'right or wrong.' You base it on whether or not you can get away with it, and what the penalties might be. A guy who cheats in a friendly game of cards is a cheater. A pro who throws a spitball to support his family is a competitor." - George Bamberger

Apr 7, 2003

Gio posted:

uh ok. that's a pretty dumb nonsensical rationalization. "amateurs that cheat are cheaters. pros that cheat are competitors" makes sense.

im not even sure what your argument is. diving should be allowed and praised? or not allowed but praised?

Gaylord Perry made a career out of people thinking he was cheating even when he wasn't.

Apr 7, 2003

Powershift posted:

Then maybe we should provide them with modern tools with the goal of achieving consistency, fairness, and game flow. :shrug:

Or let them stare at an ipad for 10 minutes and stick to their guns to defend their pride.

e: also, try john deere green, it's delicious.

Subjective officiating is a part of the game, just like umpire strike zone variations in baseball are. Players learn individual officials' foibles and learn how to take advantage of them.

Apr 7, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

See the thing is that you can go over these specifics about the crease rules and incidental contact and everything, but ultimately what the issue is is that every one of us has seen exactly that called off numerous times. More often than not.

Yeah it's like how under some referees, Bonino's face strike zone goes down to his elbows.

Yeah, it owns. Thanks Bonino, you're a great hockey player!

Apr 7, 2003

Aurora posted:

The Crosby Page where you can only post about Crosby

That's every page

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

Hmm. It appears that the Pittsburgh Penguins may win the Stanley Cup again.

Apr 7, 2003

Revol posted:

Caps would've beaten the Senators easily too.

Which, if you're a Caps fan, just has to hurt even more; you guys would've had a free ride to the Finals.

It feels good to be the Patriots to Washington's Steelers

Apr 7, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Except not the same at all given that the Steelers have a bunch of super bowls

The Penguins have a bunch of Stanley Cups too. Nice.

Apr 7, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Canada will pay for their crimes against Philbert Kessel

The Leafs literally paid Hotdog Phil to win a cup for us last year.

Apr 7, 2003

VJeff posted:

Hey Citizen Tayne, I just wanna make sure real quick -- you're aware that you're not actually on the Penguins, right?

If you were a Penguins fan you'd be twice as obnoxious as I'm being.

Apr 7, 2003

VJeff posted:

Gonna take that as a no.
Ovie is a selfish player who only cares about scoring opportunities for himself and this is why the Capitals can't advance past the second round.

Apr 7, 2003

RC Cola posted:

Not even close to true

You're Mook light.

Nice Cubs av. *rolls bandwagon through*

Apr 7, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This is the best. Was this tonight?
Yep.

Almost feels like the Pens threw game six to gently caress with the Caps.

Apr 7, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

The Nashville Predators are going to win the Stanley Cup.

You son of a bitch

Apr 7, 2003

Call Your Grandma posted:

Honestly the only thing that would piss me off about Ottawa winning the cup would be having Chris Neil's name on it.
MacArthur and Phaneuf both got poo poo on by a lovely Toronto front office/coach and a lovely Toronto media, respectively, and it would be nice for them to see the same kind of redemption that Kessel got (albeit in much lesser roles). It seems like most Canadian hockey fans that live in different cities from their teams (or at least the one's I've met to date) cheer for Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver so I'm really not worried about meeting insufferable Ottawa fans.

No Canadian team will win the cup in my lifetime.

Apr 7, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Well if the Pens don't lose their minds and try to keep Maf I don't see how they have any trouble getting rid of him now. As long as they don't ask for the moon someone is gonna want him after these playoffs. What a difference after the poo poo regular season he had.

Fleury is the only thing that kept them in the game for the first six weeks or so of the regular season. He was really good for a while there. They kept Murray benched for a while in his favor before he went to poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh hey the Penguins are playing the Senators in the conference final and have a ton of injuries, I wonder if Matt Cooke has stayed in shape?

lmao that a Canadian team hasn't gotten to the third round since 2014. When is the last time two Canadian teams did?

Apr 7, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

The one time they made it to the cup they beat the Pens so let's just hope for that.

Just like last year, the Caps will be the hardest series the Pens face.

Apr 7, 2003

Evilpiggie posted:

Does it really matter? 80% of the league is Canadians.

Half of my favorite ball club is from the Dominican Republic but no one calls them the Santo Domingo Pirates.

Apr 7, 2003

Evilpiggie posted:

Till they reach the Oilers.

This is a good point, every member of the Oilers will be playing hard for a chance to prove that they should be permitted to get the gently caress out of Edmonton, i.e. Gretzky.

Apr 7, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

Quoted so history has proof you were, at least once, right about something.

I have been right about every single thing I have ever posted in a hockey thread in this forum.

Apr 7, 2003

Infidel Castro posted:

Look, that's not exactly an accomplishment. I've been posting "The Flyers are trash and will always find a way to gently caress up" on this forum for nearly 7 years and nobody's giving me a medal.

That's more a problem with the forum than with you.

Apr 7, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Next year MAF will still be a Penguin and Matt Murray will not, you all are underestimating how fantastically popular he is in the locker room and with J. Average Pens Fan. They absolutely are going to sell themselves on MAF still has a few good years left and then Jarry can take over, and besides Murray may never stay healthy for six straight months, and let Vegas take Murray.

It doesn't matter how popular he is in the locker room.

Matt Murray is a Stanley Cup winner.
MAF is a Stanley Cup winner.

Examine the financials and the guaranteed contract years and figure out who will be in the net next year. It won't be MAF.

Apr 7, 2003

I am J. Average Pens fan. Murray is our netminder for 2024.

Apr 7, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

I am glad that the Pittsburgh Penguins have advanced in the playoffs

It's looking likely that the Pittsburgh Penguins will win the Stanley Cup!

Apr 7, 2003

FBS posted:

https://twitter.com/PredsPR/status/866413416008876033

Pro-tip: Don't look up "Compartment Syndrome" on Wikipedia

thanks a lot

Apr 7, 2003

The Pittsburgh Penguins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

Apr 7, 2003

nature6pk posted:

I'm the Pens fan wearing the "I've been waiting 50 weeks for this"

This is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

They've had four separate guys (yes I'm including Malkin ) be the best individual player in the league for all but one or two years in the last 25+, it's sickening

You misspelled 'awesome'

• Locked thread