Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I've just been watching a load of films from different parts of the world. Shudharil Shudhan in particular is a masterpiece of South INdian cinema. I really want more stuff like this.

quote:

Shudharil Shudhan is a 2009 Malayalam film by debutant director Jayaraj Vijay, starring Mukesh, Kalabhavan Mani and Indrans.
The film is about an estate worker named Ramankutty (Indrans) who is forced to lead a strike against the estate management, leaving his family in starvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ran by Kurosawa. Violence, murder, and bloodshed transcend language.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Neutrino posted:

Thanks I'll check it out.

YerAuraBoresMeAlice
Dec 26, 2005

French/Canadian film called "Leolo". Notorious for one scene involving a cat, but worth checking out.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I recently learned of an obscure British franchise called James Pond. It's about a secret government agent, and he's from Europe apparently. :shrug:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

if you're into epic revenge movies, op, may i recommend every single south korean movie

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maya Fey posted:

if you're into epic revenge movies, op, may i recommend every single south korean movie

P much this

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The Citizen Kane of baseball gorilla movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxDl_ER5VC0

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
i was going to make a joke post and put a well-known Canadian film for a foreign film rec, but i've heard of literally none of these movies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_10_Canadian_Films_of_All_Time

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I watched Train to Busan on Netflix the other day. I highly recommend it.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Kuato posted:

I recently learned of an obscure British franchise called James Pond. It's about a secret government agent, and he's from Europe apparently. :shrug:

If you're talking about James Bond that's pretty famous.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That's a magnificent moustache

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i saw a japanese movie called Kaosu. it's fuckin wild.

its about some guy who tries to fake the kidnapping of a trophy wife so they can ransom her rich husband but she ends up dying so he hides her body and pretends it never happened but then runs into a lady that looks just like her and it turns into a super tense thriller where you arent sure if she faked her own death or if he's having a mental breakdown. its kinda tarantino in a way

it's presented in a nonlinear manner so with each scene change you kind of aren't sure where you are on the timeline and which person is on the screen but it just makes it way more tense idk.i geuss dont watch it if you want a popcorn flick or if you hate movies without a lot of closure but i liked it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Soviet Film Kin-dza-dza.

One of the best science-fiction films I've ever seen, and low budget as hell. Learn something, hollywood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin-dza-dza!

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I'd highly recommend M starring Peter Lorre and directed by Fritz Lang. Peter Lorre kills young girls and the police want to catch him as fast as they can so they recruit the crime syndicate and beggars to join in the hunt. It's an interesting film because you find yourself rooting for a child murder.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I'd highly recommend M starring Peter Lorre and directed by Fritz Lang. Peter Lorre kills young girls and the police want to catch him as fast as they can so they recruit the crime syndicate and beggars to join in the hunt. It's an interesting film because you find yourself rooting for a child murder.

M is extremely good

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

FuhrerHat posted:

Soviet Film Kin-dza-dza.

One of the best science-fiction films I've ever seen, and low budget as hell. Learn something, hollywood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin-dza-dza!

oh hell ya this movie owns hardcore

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Watch I saw the devil, op

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The Final Sacrifice

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

broly: the legendary super saiyan

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Audition, visitor q

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bangkok Whores II

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Ooga booga by JimJim Jumbumbebe

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blue Train posted:

Audition, visitor q

Visitor Q is a strange film

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Nessa posted:

I watched Train to Busan on Netflix the other day. I highly recommend it.

Train to Busan was awesome

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Space Mutiny

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a French Canadian prison movie called Inside that has some hilariously bad acting and possibly the most astonishing gang rape scene ever committed to film.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jose posted:

Visitor Q is a strange film

Very, but good

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Come and See is a Soviet film from 1985 that follows a boy who joins the Russian resistance against the German invasion of Byelorussia. It features unknowns and live ammunition. There are scenes where you see tracers flying over the actors' heads. Get past the goofiness in the woods at the beginning and it becomes a non-stop horror train.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

recently watched a movie called "sarajevo" about the investigation of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand that was pretty good.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Das Boo posted:

Come and See is a Soviet film from 1985 that follows a boy who joins the Russian resistance against the German invasion of Byelorussia. It features unknowns and live ammunition. There are scenes where you see tracers flying over the actors' heads. Get past the goofiness in the woods at the beginning and it becomes a non-stop horror train.

This is extremely good and a similar movie is Ivan's childhood, which is also extremely good

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Another good war movie is die brucke, the bridge in English

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Pom Poko, some studio ghibli (company that made Spirited Away) movie. It has one of the funniest goddamn things i have ever seen. I'll write it down but you guys should go see this thing.

raccoons use their balls as magic capes essentially. In one scene, they attempt to crush security guards with their inflated testicles as the guards beat on their testicles with night sticks

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
au revoir les enfants

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Vengeance is mine by Shohei Imamura is super cool and disturbing.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
thats like the indian red riding hood i think

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Neutrino posted:

Yojimbo is also fantastic. It has a bunch of great camera work, and the acting is just phenomenal.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
All films are foreign films if you live in Sealand.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

RideTheSpiral posted:

If you're talking about James Bond that's pretty famous.

Nah, I said James POND for a reason. No poo poo people have heard of James B0nd #smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

RideTheSpiral posted:

I've just been watching a load of films from different parts of the world. Shudharil Shudhan in particular is a masterpiece of South INdian cinema. I really want more stuff like this.

How many unnecessary dance sequences are there?

• Locked thread