Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So "Girls" is about to end. I thought this last season has been great. Lots of good laughs, especially with Elijah playing a much larger role.

Lena Dunham seems to have improved a lot as an actress over the course of the series, and I'm looking forward to seeing some fresh projects for her, as "Girls" has been playing the same basic beats for a few seasons now.

Season finale is next week, but apparently Shoshanna and Jessa won't be on it.

What'dya think? Anybody else still watching this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Elijah is the best. Sad to see it go.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
These last two seasons have been a huge return to form for this show and I'm gonna be so sad when it's over.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the last season was also really good. The only thing I've been disappointed by is Shosh receding almost completely from the show in these final two seasons.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I love this show.
The engagement party was a great beat.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Watching the finale, a few minutes behind. Yikes...I kind of had hope that Marnie had hit rock bottom and stopped quite so self-obsessed, but Hannah enabled her and now here we are.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Watching the finale, a few minutes behind. Yikes...I kind of had hope that Marnie had hit rock bottom and stopped quite so self-obsessed, but Hannah enabled her and now here we are.

I don't know if it was that bad really. She did seem to be at least helpful and didn't do anything horrendous.

The run-in with the runaway was far too on-the-nose.

Not a lot of laughs in the finale though. I liked, "What am I gonna tote a breast pump around at work? What if there's a student I want to gently caress?"

Marnie's Skype roleplay session was hilarious too. Also Marnie vaping in the pediatrician's office.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think it's appropriate that someone is watching Allen Gregory and posting about it in this forum at the same time that Girls- a show with similarly horrendous characters that never got their comeuppance- ended after six seasons.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 17, 2017

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

I think it's appropriate that someone is watching Allen Gregory and posting about it in this forum at the same time that Girls- a show with similarly horrendous characters that never got their comeuppance- ended after six seasons.

What sort of comeuppance do the Girls characters deserve? The show is about Oberlin graduates living in New York City. What sort of horrible adversities do you expect the characters to face given the general theme of the show?

It's such a tired argument to dislike Girls because the characters are lovely, irresponsible people without facing any meaningful repercussions or "real problems." It's kind of an overarching theme throughout the entire series.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 17, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It sounds like it wasn't your cup of tea. You should probably watch other things.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KingNastidon posted:

It's such a tired argument to dislike Girls because the characters are lovely, irresponsible people without facing any meaningful repercussions
Then how come shows with this concept don't get made very often while shows like Always Sunny, Seinfeld, Eastbound and Down, etc. are far more prevalent? That formula exists and resonates with audiences for a reason.

I realize the entire point of the show is to stick with the girls through their misadventures, but I don't feel that makes for a show I want to watch the whole way through. PostNouveau is right, Girls isn't the show for me.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 17, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Anyway it feels like they left a lot hanging with that finale. Would have liked to see Ray again.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Then how come shows with this concept don't get made very often while shows like Always Sunny, Seinfeld, Eastbound and Down, etc. are far more prevalent? That formula exists and resonates with audiences for a reason.

I realize the entire point of the show is to stick with the girls through their misadventures, but I don't feel that makes for a show I want to watch the whole way through. PostNouveau is right, Girls isn't the show for me.

I don't think Girls intended to be comparable to any of the shows you referenced. All of the shows you referenced are probably better and more broadly liked shows Girls. This show was about characters going to the most cliche liberal arts school and living in NYC. Shockingly, these people face very little real-world struggle despite being contemptible human beings. This is a pretty common phenomena for many urban 20-somethings that began watching the show. You don't have to like or relate to Marnie or Jessa to identify their lovely (and redeemable!) qualities in strangers, co-workers, and even friends. Even Shoshanna, whose arc is the hiddenly smart/self-aware/voice of the viewer character (other than Ray), leaves the crew because her new friends are pretty, have jobs and nice purses.

That's not to say the show is exempt from criticism because people "just don't get it." The entire series was generally hit or miss episode-by-episode and never something I'd consider great TV or recommend to everyone. If you aren't laughing at Marnie vaping in the pediatrician's office and saying "everyone looks pretty loving formula fed" you may just not be the target audience.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 17, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Lena Dunham seems to have improved a lot as an actress

:suicide:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You didn't like that scene with Hannah and Adam at the cafe when it all kinda falls apart all of a sudden?

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

You didn't like that scene with Hannah and Adam at the cafe when it all kinda falls apart all of a sudden?

People are unable to separate Lena from Hannah. Lena is a poo poo person in many ways. Lena also wrote and acted in series portraying Hannah, a character likely representing herself and her flaws in an exaggerated way. The human Lena was a better actress of Hannah in later seasons. There are numerous examples of improved acting in later episodes, such as the diner scene.

Maybe an emoji response should be ignored.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 17, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KingNastidon posted:

People are unable to separate Lena from Hannah. Lena is a poo poo person in many ways. Lena also wrote and acted in series portraying Hannah, a character likely representing herself and her flaws in an exaggerated way. The human Lena was a better actress of Hannah in later seasons. There are numerous examples of improved acting in later episodes, such as the diner scene. Do you have a more meaningful response than an emoji?

Replying to the wrong person there. I think she's gotten a lot better.

It was interesting that they didn't really let Hannah change much after having a kid. I think Hannah's idea was that having a ton of responsibility would make her a responsible person, but the finale is still her fixating on something that's not really that important and drawing narcissistic conclusions from it.

Marnie actually seems to be the one who grew through the situation. I mean, she selfishly inserts herself into it, just like Adam and Bodie and Elijah and the bald dude and tried to do, but she's the one who realizes they're in over their heads and calls Loreen, and she's mentally preparing to remove herself by the end.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I loved that this show existed and I'll do a proper rewatch in a year or two. Good ending, understated.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Replying to the wrong person there. I think she's gotten a lot better.

My bad, my dude. Was referring to other Blazing Ownager.

Anyway, didn't love the ending but I can't think of a better way to do it. Upstate Marnie was totally awful/great.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the finale was a bit on-the-nose re: Hannah and being a mom, but I liked Hannah's mom & Marnie's scenes. I feel like one or two extra episodes to flesh out the rest of the casts' plots would have been nice but probably not necessary. Sometimes poo poo just doesn't work out :(

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

So that was it, huh?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Episode 9 was a good end to the series and I thought episode 10 was just eh

I actually really liked how the series was very obviously looping back around to season 1 then not actually doing that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought the whole season they were winding up for a sappy "I'm a mother now! All my problems are solved because I have reached the pinnacle of womanhood," and I'm very glad that didn't happen.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I thought Ray and/or Jessa needed one more scene to themselves.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MoaM posted:

I thought Ray and/or Jessa needed one more scene to themselves.

Ray at least. I certainly did not see that manic pixie dream girl ending coming for him.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It really was a horrible end for him. The carousel ride felt like a relapse; just like Shosh's wedding party-thing seemed like a comfortable sham.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 24, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MoaM posted:

It really was a horrible end for him.

For sure. Like, a relationship doesn't necessarily mean he's made some revelation or something. He's been in a state of "What the gently caress am I doing with my life? I'm turning into Hymie 2.0" for the whole show, and that ending doesn't speak to his central problem at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Instead of mentally overcoming death... :ghost:HE BECAME MENTALLY DEAD. :ghost:

• Locked thread