Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dimension 404 currently airing on Hulu, is a sci-fi/'horror' anthology series created by Dez Dolly and Will Campos, and produced by Rocketjump (Videogame High School, whatever that is), the show features the typical 'stand alone episode' format of other shows like Black Mirror, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, etc.

But don't let the 'technology anthology' angle make you just assume it's to Black Mirror like the Office (US) was to the Office (UK). While yes, it's still 'spooky technology oooooooooo!' it's a bit more campy/lighthearted than Black Mirror and none of the tech used (so far) is like the advanced futuristic tech Black Mirror uses.

And don't let Mark Hamill's foreboding Rod Serling ripoff narration fool you, if I had to compare it to anything, it would be that old 80s anthology 'Monsters' which got a little goofy at times.

Episodes include
Robert Buckley (iZombie) as a lonely guy trying to meet a match online dating

Patton Oswalt as a dorky uncle that thinks 3D movies are passé

Ryan Lee (Goosebumps) as a high school loner obsessed with trying to get the high score on an arcade cabinet.

Anybody else been watching this? What do you guys think: crappy ripoff or it's own goofy thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

LadyPictureShow posted:

produced by Rocketjump (Videogame High School, whatever that is)

Rocketjump are fellow goons. At least their front figure Freddie Wong(?) is. I haven't touched GBS in ages so I don't know if he posts any more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At least this show is better than Video Game High School (Freddie Wong's last thing)

The first episode was really good and clever, it could have passed for a Black Mirror episode honestly, and one of the better ones.

Second episode was just... I love Patton Oswalt and I get what he/they were going for (went way too heavy on making it almost literally a remake of THEY LIVE, plus just "b-movie horror in general") but the writing just didn't land. The "those drat Millennials!" stuff fell super flat because Oswalt is not old or convincingly out of the loop enough to act like he's really bothered by it.

I'll watch the rest later. It's okay!

e: didn't one of the first two episodes have a super blatant SA reference?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Watched the second episode first because I like Patton Oswalt in most things. Patton's character didn't acted like an out-of-touch old guy, he acted like a guy who'd been frozen since the 80's and woken up so he could complain about millennials. The ending was okay. I'm watching the first episode now, but I'm really looking forward to the synopsis of the fourth episode which sounds like it's about the Berenstein/Berenstain Bears phenomenon with a sci-fi twist.

Sarah Hyland is going to play a teenager well into her 50's.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BJPaskoff posted:

Sarah Hyland is going to play a teenager well into her 50's.

A friend of mine is in her mid-30s and where she works people constantly mistake her for 14 or 15. Needless to say it makes her dating life really difficult and she's become somewhat of a lush because of it. She's cute, but you know... not in a sexual way. Every guy who finds her cute in a sexual way ends up being a horrible pervert for rather obvious reasons.

e: Basically she's a not-dead version of Adrienne Shelley, only she manages to look even younger than Shelley did when she was alive.

precision fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 12, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
"Bob" was a pretty terrible episode. So many inconsistencies in how powerful Bob's brain was, and the whole thing was flat in general. I'm basically watching this show because there's very few anthology sci-fi shows out there, and even less where the episodes endings are usually "good". Even Cinethrax's ending wasn't as bleak as it could have been.

precision posted:

A friend of mine is in her mid-30s and where she works people constantly mistake her for 14 or 15. Needless to say it makes her dating life really difficult and she's become somewhat of a lush because of it. She's cute, but you know... not in a sexual way. Every guy who finds her cute in a sexual way ends up being a horrible pervert for rather obvious reasons.

e: Basically she's a not-dead version of Adrienne Shelley, only she manages to look even younger than Shelley did when she was alive.

Did she have major health issues as a kid? The two women I know like that had horrible health issues in their teens that stunted their growth. Just a quick Googling on Sarah Hyland reveals she had a lot of problems including a kidney transplant at a young age. Quick free Cosmo beauty tip ladies: just get lymphoma and open heart surgery when you're a teenager and you'll avoid those pesky wrinkles when you're in your mid 20's.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LadyPictureShow posted:

Dimension 404 currently airing on Hulu, is a sci-fi/'horror' anthology series created by Dez Dolly and Will Campos, and produced by Rocketjump (Videogame High School, whatever that is)...

precision posted:

At least this show is better than Video Game High School (Freddie Wong's last thing)

Small correction, but did no one watch RocketJump: The Show when it was on Hulu last year? It was a great look at the behind the scenes of how they get their stuff done (though not too much sausage making), and the shorts were varied enough to be fun.

I dig the opening's attempt to be a Millennial Twilight Zone/Outer Limits, but comparing it to Monsters is pretty on the nose. Liking the effort to be inclusive, and how all the weird stuff is just cover-up for personal problems.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's something really, really off with this show's presentation, and I can't for the life of me work out what it is. It's been really niggling at me.

It's not the performances, and the scripts are... fine. Not amazing, but there's some fun stuff here and there. But there's some sort of production element that's completely broken, and I've narrowed it down to either direction or editing. It's like there's no pacing to the flow of shots, and the images vary wildly between being passable, being competent, and being completely cheeseball. There's a great deal of giddy enthusiasm, but there's not enough discipline.

I think that's very much evident in the writing too, which is very much a fan love letter to the Twilight Zone and its ilk, but with a lot of corrective notes. Constructive criticism: the tv show, basically, Episodes tend to jump from fun idea to fun idea, from homage to pastiche, that it's hard not to be swept up in the material to some extent. But I think the episodes are so interested in existing in conversation with whatever they're reacting to that they don't tell the best possible version of their own stories. There's a tendency to mistake incident for narrative, and I feel like the characterisation tends to be more interested in creating various icons rather than lived in creations. There's a lot of bark, but no real bite.

But still, yeah, they're not actually that bad. I feel they're reacting to a very specific kind of late 80's / early 90's thing that I was never a big fan of in the first place, which is probably colouring my reactions. And I really like a lot of their casting choices, and that most of the stories are upbeat and charming. I just wish they were a little less glib and glossy. That, and whatever glitch I kept feeling was corrected.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just baffled as to how the first episode ended up being so much better than any since.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

precision posted:

I'm just baffled as to how the first episode ended up being so much better than any since.
Polybius was pretty close. I think the shortcoming there is not fleshing out the Weird Girl character more, and, well, washing over the fact that being gay/trans/etc in a small community was sometimes a literal death sentence with a nice, feel good "Just Be Yourself :waycool:"

Chronos also had a pretty good core message about using nostalgia/retreating to childhood frivolity to avoid dealing with the realities of life. It kind of falls apart at the end because holy poo poo the bad guy wins except maybe not because she still gets the note at the end so all that really happened was her kid cartoon getting wiped from reality.

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's something really, really off with this show's presentation, and I can't for the life of me work out what it is. It's been really niggling at me.
There's a disconnect between the story they want to tell and the story that's appropriate for the characters/setting. That's the best way I can sum up what doesn't work for me, and why the first episode was so good. The "twist" to the story happens early on, and we get to process it and work through it to see what it really means for the characters. They later give insight as to why the girl freaks out when she takes on the increased academic load, and really work through the concept of 'What happens when the person you think you're made to be with doesn't want to be with you'.

Contrast that with Cinethrax, where the ending just kind of bloops out in a Scary Door way.

So, ultimately, they seem to want to work from a subversion of expectations -- Chronos: where the main character's beloved memories are gone; Polybius: where the telegraphed gay couple doesn't happen; Cinethrax: welp, who cares about being unique lets all just fit in guys; Bob: sorry, the braincube gets killed at the end. But I'm not quite sure they justify why the expectations/tropes are subverted, or what the ultimate point of that is really.

quote:

It's not the performances, and the scripts are... fine. Not amazing, but there's some fun stuff here and there. But there's some sort of production element that's completely broken, and I've narrowed it down to either direction or editing. It's like there's no pacing to the flow of shots, and the images vary wildly between being passable, being competent, and being completely cheeseball. There's a great deal of giddy enthusiasm, but there's not enough discipline.

I just wish they were a little less glib and glossy. That, and whatever glitch I kept feeling was corrected.
That also. There's a reliance on this jokey tone that kind of deflates what's going on. In Bob, after Constance Wu's character speaks with her family, the music that swells is this really lighthearted fun thing that doesn't quite mesh with the fact that this character's deployed in a war zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

FilthyImp posted:

Chronos also had a pretty good core message about using nostalgia/retreating to childhood frivolity to avoid dealing with the realities of life. It kind of falls apart at the end because holy poo poo the bad guy wins except maybe not because she still gets the note at the end so all that really happened was her kid cartoon getting wiped from reality.

This can be interpreted in multiple ways which is more than this show deserves Lord Entropy might have written the note and left it there to ensure the "future that sucks" that he is from happens. Maybe he altered things that happened to her after she turned in the paper as well.

• Locked thread