Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://files.catbox.moe/giahnu.webm

Sakura Quest is the third in PA Works' line of "working" shows, following Hanasaku Iroha and Shirobako. It follows five girls from or roped into the rural town of Manoyama who become involved with its restoration project, chiefly by way of its "micro-nation", originally constructed as part of a small-town tourism fad during the bubble economy.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
The bit where she pulls into the train station for the first time kinda gave me a 'Seducing Doctor Lewis' vibe, but I guess they're not trying /so hard/ to keep her. That could change as the show continues, though.

It's looking pretty swell so far and I hope that continues and increases!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

this scene was dope

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

My favorite was her slowly backing off the bus from the weirdo.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Episode 2 was definitely stronger than the first. I have a feeling they will forget about the video they made, and it will come back at them much later.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I was hoping music dude would have a little more to say on showing up. Looking forward to Yoshino getting to examine what Tokyo represents to her.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I like this show because it's very Shirobako-y. Hopefully this show will be just as good though that is a very high bar.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/manoyama_PR/status/854719769454538752

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Show's nice. Hasn't really had any slam-dunk moments yet, but I don't think Shirobako did either this early on.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Show's nice. Hasn't really had any slam-dunk moments yet, but I don't think Shirobako did either this early on.

It started with badass hatchback drifting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

poo poo you're right, how did I forget that?

Well. There's still time for this one.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Even ignoring that, Shirobako sold its premise much better right from the start. Its cast was also far more interesting than Sakura Quest so far. Honestly, SQ's cast is pretty bland for the most part.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah this is not even remotely as charming as Shirobako was but I'm holding out hope.

Shirobako also had the benefit of the "this is how an anime is made" hook.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

yeah, but i still like this

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ViggyNash posted:

It also started with one of the best idealism --> reality smash cuts of all time.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mordja posted:

It also started with one of the best idealism --> reality smash cuts of all time.

Valid, but hatchback drifting is more important.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Shirobako is extremely good, but I think this show has also been really strong so far.

chumbler posted:

My favorite was her slowly backing off the bus from the weirdo.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

Shirobako is extremely good, but I think this show has also been really strong so far.

new_yikes.gif

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I believe in this show. First two episodes were good, next X episodes are going to be even better.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Episode three was also good. The show seems to be surprisingly cynical about inaka life, which I like. I half expected it to go "Tokyo drools, Manoyama rules" right out the gate, but this episode showed that this really isn't the case. In fact, it painted Manoyama as kind of a crappy city with not much going for it, full of residents who are fine with it turning into a ghost town, just so long as it doesn't happen while they're still alive. I hope the show is going to be less about the five girls miraculously saving Manoyama, and more about their own journey as they try. Shirobako managed to maintain a good balance between cynicism and optimism throughout, so I have high hopes for this show too.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This is as close as we're going to get to a Parks and Rec anime, isn't it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MJP posted:

This is as close as we're going to get to a Parks and Rec anime, isn't it

That was Servant X Service

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

That was Servant X Service

True, I stand corrected.

I should re-watch that and pretend it got a second season.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Today's episode was pleasant enough, though I didn't expect this to turn into a mecha anime. Goony Dr. Octopus guy seems cool.

At this point I'm more interested in seeing how the young ladies are going to fix all of these interpersonal problems than seeing how they're going to get tourists rolling in.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Once everyone stops bickering​ and starts giving a poo poo about the place they live in, the tourists will come in on their own. I'm excited to see how they'll manage to tell people to stop being so elitist about the place.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was certainly not expecting this series to introduce a superhuman engineer.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Someone needs to get that mechanic in touch with the US DoD, they've had contractors working on the powered exoskeleton thing for years now.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh and: Show good.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

paragon1 posted:

Someone needs to get that mechanic in touch with the US DoD, they've had contractors working on the powered exoskeleton thing for years now.

The dark ending to the season: Manoyama gets all into defense contracting to revitalize the economy and shutters the tourism department entirely

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Procurement Contract Quest

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well they just beat SagradaSakurada Reset hard on the amount of Sagrada actually featured!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I want Sanae and wooden shoe guy to have a successful business partnership and remain platonic friends

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I want Sanae and wooden shoe guy to have a successful business partnership and remain platonic friends

I want them to kiss.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Instead, she gets a spin-off romance series involving then and the other woodcutter in a love triangle and whose fanbase prefers to have the two woodcutters kiss instead.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Well they just beat SagradaSakurada Reset hard on the amount of Sagrada actually featured!

Also the episodes on carving are darn near up to the level of woodenness content given Sakurada Reset's characters, they're all stiff as boards

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
It's interesting to see Shiori getting some turmoil as contrasted to her image up to now. Should be neat to see how much more backstory we get on Oden Maki.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pretty nice pay off to the Maki drama this episode.

We also discover that Yoshino has a kung-fu action grip.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's a small thing, but I appreciate the fact that Maki (Sanae too, I assume) is in her mid-to-late twenties rather than being just out of school.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Sanae looks way younger with her hair down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's pretty amazing how different they make her look just by putting her hair down.

• Locked thread