Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Young women drinking beer and showing their foreheads should just be a show unto itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I, too, would like Nomi Joshi to be animated.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I like how not only do they have actual different and varying outfits (although I think it's only like 2-3 so far) they took the time to do the hairstyle and makeup changes for Sanae. It helps humanize so much more when there's "okay, I'm done for the day" and having variation in clothes. It isn't much but IMO it makes a huge difference to the realness of the show.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Was that movie's budget so low they couldn't afford a sound mixer and had to record the taiko drums during the scene in real-time?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They mentioned a shoestring budget so yeah. Also the director was crazy enough to insist on doing it live anyway probably.

Got to say, when this season started I didn't expect this show to be on my shortlist, but I've been enjoying this a lot. No overdone romance plots, no fantasy bullshit, just a bunch of young women running the tourism board for a small town.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I've watched a few episodes, and it hasn't really grabbed me yet. It's inoffensive, but I just don't see it having a satisfying ending. The premise and setting is realistic enough that a happy "you saved the town!" ending would feel out of place. And the realistic "you wasted a year accomplishing nothing!" seems a little too depressing. Maybe she will learn to love the country life, but tying it to economic realities also makes that a little hard to justify.

Also, none of the characters are particularly interesting.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I don't know about you guys but I relate to Sanae and Maki so much, I'm in the same age range as them with similar life experiences.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I think I'm getting to the Sanae/Maki age range. Shirobako got me around the same time as them so I guess this is just growing with P.A. Works shows?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

brainwrinkle posted:

I've watched a few episodes, and it hasn't really grabbed me yet. It's inoffensive, but I just don't see it having a satisfying ending. The premise and setting is realistic enough that a happy "you saved the town!" ending would feel out of place. And the realistic "you wasted a year accomplishing nothing!" seems a little too depressing. Maybe she will learn to love the country life, but tying it to economic realities also makes that a little hard to justify.

I started watching it, and ended up binging on all the available episodes. I too like the premise and how realistic it is.

That being said, I don't think that it will end up in a bleak note. They could end it with (personal theory)showing that Sakura realizes that they should be promoting the town's traditions, instead of relying on gimmicks like the Chupacabra or turnips that no one really cares a lot about. And instead rely on the cherry-blossoms that she shares a name with.

But that depends if they will wrap it up in the remaining episodes, or somehow get a second season to expand on this.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Sakura Quest is already confirmed for Summer, unless senpai.moe is wrong.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kal-L posted:

I started watching it, and ended up binging on all the available episodes. I too like the premise and how realistic it is.

That being said, I don't think that it will end up in a bleak note. They could end it with (personal theory)showing that Sakura realizes that they should be promoting the town's traditions, instead of relying on gimmicks like the Chupacabra or turnips that no one really cares a lot about. And instead rely on the cherry-blossoms that she shares a name with.

But that depends if they will wrap it up in the remaining episodes, or somehow get a second season to expand on this.

Good theory, except that nobody in this show is named Sakura.

e: Shiori's "I just assumed this could go on, I never looked ahead" speech makes this show three for three on "oh goddammit no that's me" for me. This show is so good it's painful.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 28, 2017

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Caphi posted:

Good theory, except that nobody in this show is named Sakura.

:saddowns: I kept reading the title as "Sakura's Quest" and thought that was the name of the main character.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The farming outfits in ep8 are great :3: I like Yoshino's the best

Floppy straw hats are extremely good value

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wasn't super taken with the whole film arc but episode 8 was really good. Go Shiori! Chef Bear is a cutie :3:

I liked the bug dish too

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I hope Yoshino continues to be a huge dork

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol at Shiori telling that girl the somen would increase her bust

:3: the Chef Bear and Sayuri are very cute

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Enjoyed the 5D Super Ultra Somen Adventure Arcade :supaburn:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Knorth posted:

Lol at Shiori telling that girl the somen would increase her bust

:3: the Chef Bear and Sayuri are very cute

:agreed:

I'm glad something the cast did finally worked out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well, this week was kind of depressing if you're a fan of Ririko at all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kwyndig posted:

Well, this week was kind of depressing if you're a fan of Ririko at all.

Too close to home for many goons as well, I'd expect. :v:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
My brain just will not accept that Riri and Shiori are supposed to be the same age. I don't know if it's the designs or the behavior but it just feels like Shiori should be at least 10 years older

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Hargrimm posted:

My brain just will not accept that Riri and Shiori are supposed to be the same age. I don't know if it's the designs or the behavior but it just feels like Shiori should be at least 10 years older

It's the behavior. Shiori acts kind of motherly, taking care of everyone. Maki seems to be the oldest, followed by Sanae; then Shiori, Ririko and Yoshino are the same age.

Ririko's my favorite character, not because of her goon-like origin story, but any girl who likes UMAs and knows about high-end video gear is awesome. :allears:

Edit: Whoa! I just saw the Wikipedia page, and saw there's going to be 25 episodes. I thought it was going to last just 13, like most series I end up liking these days. :dance:

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 9, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol at the bus driver

This episode is pretty fun, Riri and Shi were very cute kids

The Manoyama Dance, is good

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 13, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I ship Ririko and Sandal now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sandal is too much of a free spirit to be tied down.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Episode got really meta for a minute there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wandering artist guy in top form this episode.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I really liked how pleasant this episode was. No stress; just a breather and some time for reflection. The ED is nice too.

I'm also pretty impressed that PA Works decided to go with fluent Spanish speakers in addition to Sandal-san's actually-a-non-Japanese-native VA.

Keeping with the theme from prior episodes, I suspect that Manoyama will try to appeal to non-native residents who are seeking family-friendly towns to settle down in. At least, that's what I think, judging from their "safe birth" shirts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For those you didn't notice, this is Sandal's VA:

Vinay Murthy, as far as I can tell he primarily works with voice over and narration of English material for the Japanese market. So I guess getting a role for an original dub is unusual for him too. I'm very glad they went with a native English speaker. (But I need to catch up on the show, 3 episodes behind right now.)

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

I really liked how pleasant this episode was. No stress; just a breather and some time for reflection. The ED is nice too.

I'm also pretty impressed that PA Works decided to go with fluent Spanish speakers in addition to Sandal-san's actually-a-non-Japanese-native VA.

Keeping with the theme from prior episodes, I suspect that Manoyama will try to appeal to non-native residents who are seeking family-friendly towns to settle down in. At least, that's what I think, judging from their "safe birth" shirts.

That would be a surprise, since one of the reasons for Japan's current population woes is that they're not very open to immigration.

Also, if they want permanent residents they need more than just empty houses. They need jobs that are in or near Manoyama, that last more than one year. And incentives for young people to choose their town among all the other slowly depopulating towns.

I think that's part of the reason behind this episode showing Yoshino's hometown and Sanae's friends talking about their new businesses/family incentives.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Guesses on the secret hidden in the lake?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Normally I'd guess "embarrassing past failure" but the chief doesn't seem the least bit ashamed by all his other flops. Maybe something he accidentally destroyed and later lied about? Expensive parade float car?

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Going by the photo in the preview, It's probably something related to the band the chief used to be in (along with the inventor guy and presumably also Ririko's grandmother). Hard to guess what it actually is, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Could be a fake Chupakabra setup that the stories were based on.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Normally I'd guess "embarrassing past failure" but the chief doesn't seem the least bit ashamed by all his other flops. Maybe something he accidentally destroyed and later lied about? Expensive parade float car?

Similar to this i'm going to go with "embarrassing past success" that relates to the kingdom of Kabura and him being prince at the time. Maybe he was the lead singer for Abra and the Kaburas.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Welp there's the real sakura (lake) fetch quest!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wasn't expecting an actual quest to show up after 16 episodes, but I'll take it!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

paragon1 posted:

It turns out this was partially correct. except it seems less of a secret and more of people forgot except those involved. Also it was a float of sorts

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh my god the band nicknames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I thought it was cool that he was just really passionate about the town. :3:

• Locked thread