Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Signal From Tölva is the new game from Giant Robot, known for Sir, You Are Being Hunted. In this one you aren't being hunted tho and instead are one of the robots. The planet Tölva (Icelandic for computer) has as the name implies a signal and you want to find it. Who you are and why you want to do that is not explained at the start. Also, pretty much nothing else is.
All you know is that some shady information broker robot is willing to let you hack and take over robots down on the planets surface.
From there you play as a random dumb robot and kill other robots. You have a map with tasks that are similar to a Far Cry and your first goal is to help your buddies take over nodes and discover stuff. Inbetween that you shoot stuff.
After a while you start finding out stuff and that's when it gets good.

Also, the game comes with a 47 page manual and all of it is fluff. None of it tells you how to play the bloody thing.

I'm not very far into it yet but since nobody else made a thread I decided to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqw5EQ0j7Po

E: Also, the forum software sucks and you can't use an ö in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Might as well get it started. I was farting over a hill with two bots I'd captured and was going for a base. The problem with that is that you have to give up a weapon slot to control said bots so I only had the lovely pistol and a laser carabine.
As we get close to the base things go tits up and my mates rush right into the firing line. They still manage to survive for a bit and I take most of the Zealots out.
For the last two I had to hide behind some crates and constantly turn my shield on and of while taking potshots but I finally did it.
But then, just as the last one exploded I hear a gigantic BOOM.
A turret had spawned outside the base and I was trapped.
Then I started hearing PEW PEW from behind me and two heavies were approaching over the hill.

I gave up then and there and just took over some other poor bastard at the nearest spawnpoint cause that poo poo was hosed.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This game seems really cool! I played an hour or two of it today and had a pretty fun time stomping around, scanning rocks and blasting other robots with laserbeams. Don't really have any crazy stories, unless being ambushed by a zealot patrol while I was trying to carefully sneak up on a bandit bunker counts, that uh didn't go great...

I'm really liking how convincing the actual being-a-robot-feel is, my big headlamp eyes and weird loping mechanical run are great touches but I'm not sure how long just going around shooting things is going to hold my interest. The environment is super cool just to poke around in (I found a giant ancient robot hand!) but I'm kinda wishing there was a Metroid Prime style flora/fauna scanning aspect of it too

• Locked thread