Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Johnny Joestar posted:

as someone who enjoyed super meat boy quite a lot i kind of bounced off of the white palace because hollow knight isn't a game set up for you to continuously retry 1-hit 'death' scenarios. unless you use the regen charm, which means you have to stand around with your thumb up your rear end after every attempt if you want to keep going without having to start over from the last bench. it was just weirdly incongruous with the rest of the game. at least with the coliseum you had a chance to utilize your array of charms and try out different things instead of ramming your head into a buzzsaw repeatedly until you start going snowblind from all the white

Anyone who tells you to use the honey charm is an rear end in a top hat (or just ignorant and didn't know about other charms, I guess.) I tried it once, for one puzzle, because I was curious, and the amount of downtime drove me crazy.

You want the charm that gives you Soul for getting hit and the charm that doubles your healing from using Focus Soul. Technically it isn't infinitely sustainable but if you're actually getting to the point where that's a problem it's probably time to put the game down for the day and come back fresh.

Anyways I liked White Palace, and it's not really that bad, it's, like, probably on par with the Light version of one of the middle worlds from Super Meat Boy. The only problem is it goes on too long without anything to interrupt it. (The Collosseum has the exact same problem -- a lot of fun fights, made significantly worse by the bad decision to make it an endurance run.)

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a super-obscure room that teases a future DLC hidden inside a hidden area inside a hidden area in Deepnest.

Haha, oh man, I found this and just figured it was something I didn't have the right power-ups for, and then completely forgot about it. Had to check a video to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

I knew there was no way they'd put a Stalker Devout in a tunnel and not have anything behind it, though.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My first run of this game I went to Deepnest almost as early as is humanly possible, and I didn't know about the Lumafly Lantern.

I actually explored like a good 50-60% of it before finally giving up and then avoided it from then on out until I literally didn't have any other option because I was so traumatized lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think the stuff about the Queen and especially the connection to Soul is on much shakier ground than any of the rest of it, it's the point where that post goes from exhaustively documenting a very convincing set of similarities grounded in entomology to "they're both the same color!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eschatos posted:

What's the deal with the Mask Crafter? I found it yesterday, it had a few lines of dialog but then no option to trade or give items or whatever. Same question for Midwife.

Just lore and possibly foreshadowing for the Hornet campaign.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Enemy pushback is a good thing, it can be exploited to benefit you and it adds an interesting layer to positioning.

However, I completely agree that the charm system is the one major problem with an otherwise fantastic game, and for exactly the reason you suggest -- it takes aspects of the game that should all be the default and forces you to choose between them.

It's especially annoying because a lot of the cool charms that add unique effects are simply not worth running over the ones that make your spells, nail, or health better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I think it's really difficult to design a game with that kind of system where the "optimum" configuration isn't just the one that makea your numbers the highest, or better yet to design a system where an "optimum" configuration doesn't really exist.

Getting it perfect is hard, because even wacky customization options have some effect on game balance. And that's fine, especially when the value of each power is somewhat subjective and/or depends on your individual strengths as a player and what you can best exploit.

But "don't make 'more damage' and 'cool customization stuff' cost the same currency" is pretty simple, and yet every single game with even a hint of RPG elements somehow seems to get this wrong.

e: And that's not even touching the minor but completely bizarre decision to make the compass a charm.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 7, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Archenteron posted:

A loving parent. How come you can absorb hundreds of thousands of souls in Dark Souls and yet you don't grow to 10 feet tall like all the other huge full of souls assholes?

It's because you're getting soul-swole in a much shorter timeframe, probably. There are a couple of bosses in the later Souls games that are arguably meant to be the protagonists of previous Souls games, and by that point they're huge.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

skasion posted:

That’s a badass trailer but the lack of release date is making me worry.

I'd rather they take their time and basically make Hollow Knight 2 than rush it out the door.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not sure I realized there was a world outside of Hollow Nest; I thought it was sort of like a Dark Souls thing where the world had fallen to ruin and everything had coalesced around Hollownest.

There's a bunch of stuff that suggests if you leave Hollownest you revert to being a mindless bug, but it's both unclear if that message was meant for all bugs or for the Hollow Knight specifically, as well as whether or not it's bullshit. Quirrel seems to have journeyed outside Hollownest, although this is also possibly why his memories are all messed up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

their 'strength' she's referring to is the fact that they're both children of the basically godlike creature that ruled over hallownest. the two are absolutely related, but they're half-siblings and the abyss is not the shared parent.

That doesn't make sense. The lack of "emptiness" pretty clearly is talking about the fact that she has a voice and desires and a will and so forth. The Hollow Knight's strength doesn't come from being the child/creation of the Pale King, it comes from the Void.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also as of the Grimm Troupe DLC the White Lady talks about the Hollow Knight as her child so pointing to the (very ambiguous to begin with) intimations that Hornet is Herrah's child doesn't really tell us anything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Hornet is deffo Herrah's child. The White Lady describes the Pale King having a "dalliance" with Herrah.

She also describes the Hollow Knight as her "spawn," which, as I said, is significantly less ambiguous re: exactly what it means.

The Void isn't a parent. It's just what HK and Hornet are made of.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's literally nothing ambiguous about herrah being hornet's mother, there's even an entire encounter in deepnest that makes it Incredibly Directly Obvious

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's not clear what Herrah being Hornet's mother actually means in terms of how she was created. Whether she was born the regular way, created from bits of their souls, or whatever. This is significant because since the Hollow Knight also has two "parents," one of whom even talks about him/it in terms of biological reproduction rather than just vague overtones, but HK was made from voidstuff, isn't a bug, fungus, or wyrm, etc.

Which in turns means that nothing about having two parents rules out Hornet being basically just a variation on however Vessels are made.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 18, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

YF-23 posted:

I got pretty good at doing the first two thirds or so of the trial but could never get past the part where the floor is spikes. That one is just too much for me.

i've got some bad news

the first "floor is spikes" segment in the Trial of the Fool is nowhere near two-thirds of the way through the trial

e: there are actually four separate instances of "the floor is spikes" so in fairness i'm not 100% certain which one you're thinking of

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Charm selection has way less to do with it than nail upgrades, which in turn have way less to do with it than just getting better at the game's combat.

Remember that the Trial of the Fool has no material rewards and (prior to Godhome at least) basically just served as proof that you'd mastered the game's combat system. Honestly it kind of still serves that purpose, just for regular enemies instead of the arguably somewhat different skillset of defeating bosses.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I used Quick Focus a lot during my first playthrough but on the second I almost never equipped it and I didn't miss it at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

Didn't everyone just want a grub plushie

What's all this other stuff

a friend got me a grub plushie for Christmas and was horribly anxious about getting a grown man a stuffed animal as a gift

i'm like "are you kidding me i love this, it's perfect"

the best part is she didn't even have any context for what collecting grubs means in the game, so i'm just waiting for her to finish it and find out :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Traitor Lord is a fantastic boss in his new form, I don't think he's too hard at all. You basically just bounce on his head till he does one of his tells, dash away, and then do it again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cloth was always looking for a chance to die. To worry too much about how strong she was one way or the other is, sadly, beside the point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Oh yeah, what's up with that fountain BTW? Seemed like a trap.

it's not

after 3k it gives you a mask fragment

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

other way around, beating HK becomes rote pretty quickly and you can rush him down REALLY fast once you're comfortable with the fight

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

A trade-off between power and quality of life is neat imo.

Trade-offs between power and quality of life are the exact opposite of good design.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

like if you can think of a quality of life change that doesn't also mess with game balance by making the player stronger, it should just work that way in the first place

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

The compass, I think the devs actually want you to play the game without the compass because it makes you learn the map better.

That just makes it sound like they were too afraid to not have a compass at all. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Because playing well shouldn't mean having less fun, or vice-versa.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also just in general, people overvalue the importance of novelty and changing up your build just for the sake of it.

It doesn't matter in the slightest if someone uses the same build all game as long as it takes all game to master what you can do with that build, and as long as that build continues to function. The only reason to change your build is if the first one is either boring, or inadequate.

You should trust players to determine on their own when they're bored, so that's never a good reason to force it. The alternative is obnoxious and patronizing. (See for instance Firaxis X-Com's random and hidden class spawns for new rookies.)

You do want to catch and prevent the situation where a player goes into a fight with inadequate upgrades or the wrong tools for the job, but doesn't realize they can do something about it. However, Hollow Knight already does a pretty good job of this by making benches be both your save point and where you go to change your build, and putting a bench before every bossfight. You don't need much more than that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

Also this is totally wrong. I will by default ignore most game mechanics and will give it as little attention as possible. I need the push to go over my charms again because it takes some upfront effort each time but it was fun.

Yes, this is exactly the sort of sentiment I was thinking of when I said people overvalue novelty for its own sake.

Why should the game be made more tedious to get you to do something you could have done anyways and already want to do?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

Because I wouldnt. There's upfront effort and you often need to be given reasons to do things you end up enjoying.

You're asking to be treated like a child who won't eat their vegetables. If you were the only one affected I would find this weird but harmless, but in this case, it makes the game worse for the rest of us.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

BBJoey posted:

game design is not science

Nothing in this conversation has suggested otherwise.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

What do you think game design is? You give players reasons to do the things that are fun, especially things they might not do otherwise.

I think game design is about making things that are intrinsically fun to do.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What you're describing is a balance problem; it's not the same thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Darox posted:

Like what is the argument against it, that it's unfair you have to spend a resource on it? Resource management is a core part of games, charm management is part of that. If the compass or geo magnet didn't exist at all that would be annoying, but they do and you can use them and they're both super cheap so what's the issue.

Not exactly. The argument against it is that it's an extremely uninteresting choice.

Obstacles in the player's way (like managing scarce resources) are good because games would be boring without them, but not all obstacles are created equal; it's the difference between difficulty (something that is merely hard) and challenge (something that is hard because you have to think seriously about the right thing to do and/or execute it correctly).

You're not trying to determine what would give you the better advantage or be better suited to a particular challenge; you're trying to determine how much of a pain in the rear end you want the game to be in order to have a leg up for the harder parts.

On top of that, the main context here is bossfights, where there's no reason to have the compass equipped in the first place; in that case there isn't even a trade-off except for the time and effort spent fiddling with the UI for the sake of what is otherwise a non-choice.

e: Another way to look at it is "what quality is being tested?" Swapping out your compass doesn't test your intelligence, your focus, your reflexes, your knowledge of the game. It just tests your patience.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 8, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hollow Knight has extremely short and unforgiving tells (even compared to something like e.g. Dark Souls) but it does have them, most of the time, and you will notice when a boss doesn't -- the really hard ones still do, it's the incredibly annoying ones that don't, or have a tell that can lead into one of several attacks.

(Broken Vessel / Lost Kin are probably the worst about this, they tense up and there's a sound before they rush but it's incredibly hard to predict their range and trajectory.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dream Zote being a lovely boss with poor tells and hithoxes that don't match their sprites is a feature, not a bug. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Grouchio posted:

How the hell has anyone been able to pogo to the fury of the fallen without the longer nail!? Just tried that for an hour; my thumb feels raw. :psyduck:

something that's almost universally true in Hollow Knight is that there is no secret to solving gameplay obstacles (with a handful of exceptions, like the importance of heal efficiency-boosting charms in White Palace)

you just keep trying till you git gud

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 13, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

YggiDee posted:

The one exception is Flukenest.

didn't Flukenest get nerfed to hell

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Any tips on Charm Loadouts for the Trials? I feel like Hiveblood is too strong to ignore, and I have all the SOUL generators equipped so I can heal a lot. I’m still working on the first one, I made it to the phase right before Zote.

Hiveblood is garbage. If you want to buff your healing use Quick Focus or Shape of Unn, or just learn the safe timings for using focus healing with its default properties. Or don't get hit.

Hwurmp posted:

Hiveblood, more like Hiveblah

I just did the boring thing and went for maximum nail power--Fragile Strength, Mark of Pride, Quick Slash.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a shortcut to kingdom's edge from city of tears if you just SWIM UNDER THE WALL gently caress how did I miss that

This game is full of things that you don't realize till later (on purpose)

Because it doesn't actually work until you do something on the other side.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I could have sworn it depended on breaking a cracked wall first, but I'm probably just conflating two different areas or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The problem with self-imposed conducts vs. difficulty levels isn't one with some arbitrary sense of "validity" -- both ways of playing are valid -- the problem is that self-policing and optimization are inherently contradictory behaviors.

You can get satisfaction from proving yourself by living up to an externally defined challenge, or from tinkering with systems and rules to see what happens, but the more you blur the line between the two the more they get in each other's way.

Or put another way: you can play Calvinball, or you can play a well-designed competitive sport, but it's obviously impossible to do both at the same time.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 19, 2019