Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

oh phew for some reason my moth eaten brain thought you meant gay people were afraid of centipedes

Don't worry that's how I originally interpreted it as well. :downs:

I just tried the 6 watcher knights at the same time battle, and oh man, I didn't even make it to the 4th one. I might have to do the facetanking strategy for the first time here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any word on what will be added with the upcoming DLC?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

When looking at your inventory what is supposed to be just to the left of the dash slash? It’s the only thing I haven’t gotten.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:lol: blew through the white palace in about a half hour. From reading this thread I was expecting it to be brutal. There were like 3 or 4 tricky parts and the rest was cake.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Now do the path of pain

I suck at the boss fights I can’t even beat the Grimm Troupe. Platforming on the other hand is easy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

f#a# posted:

I bounced off this a year or so back but I'm back in it now, started a fresh file and currently working my way up in essence (lol dream Zote was hilarious).

I got to the Stag's Nest, and there's a large part of the floor in the main room that appears to be a button. What's the deal with that? Desolate Diving it doesn't seem to work.

Pretty sure it doesn’t do anything.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If it's even remotely plausible that you might not be able to get to your shade and then to safety, just use the vendor in Dirtmouth and get your shade at no risk. There's no reason to ever lose any geo after you've been playing for a few hours.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do you constantly forget you are playing a video game?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So what's in the new DLC?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there anything else in the DLC for people who don’t want to just do harder versions of previous boss fights?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What are bindings, for someone who hasn’t played the DLC?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Thanks for that untagged spoiler.

:qqpeters:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You should never run out of health in the white palace. There's charms you can put on that literally make it impossible to run out of health if you're patient.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

skasion posted:

Do not use Dashmaster in the white palace

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What’s the best way to figure out which 2 mask shards I’m missing? The only charm I have left to find is the one you need 15 masks of life for in the abyss.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

b_d posted:

You can get that one by visiting a lifeblood cocoon or two in addition to the lifeblood charms you have. You have to not get hit much, of course. I got it without all the masks. I’m still missing one, actually... The HK wikia has a descriptive list of all the shards iirc

I did not know that, good to know! I know there’s a list of shards but I don’t know how to tell which ones I’ve gotten already without just going to visit the location of every one. :effort:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

skasion posted:

Use your custom map markers! Stuff you can’t get to now, but don’t want to forget about later, is what they’re there for.

If you’re only missing two mask shards, my first suspicion would be that you haven’t given Sly his key back (he sells two more once you do). If you’re fine on those, then you might be missing at least the one that’s the reward for the flower quest since that’s probably the biggest pain to get.

I’ve gotten those two already :(

The only things I know I haven’t done are the Trial of the Fool and the White Defender fight.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do you mean the Brooding Mawlek?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea white palace wasn’t bad but I ended my game there. I didn’t want to suffer through the path of pain.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s definitely a slow start but I loved it right from the get go. The atmosphere/mood alone sold me on it. It’s really cool once you realize the game is like 10 times bigger than you suspected when starting out.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What an awesome surprise, I cannot wait!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there a chance we see the sequel this year?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Link's Awakening remake

Didn't even know about this! What a week!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's a shame you need to beat the Trial of Fools to complete the Hunter's Journal. I really don't have it in me to sit there and practice enough to beat it. I've never even made it to the boss :(

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

OzFactor posted:

Don't overlook Nailmaster's Glory: the Great Slash will kill an aspid in one shot and gives you a tiny moment of suspension in the air to collect yourself. It takes a little practice to get used to holding down the button while bouncing off the walls, but it really helps. I will say that I could never get used to Thorns of Agony--I feel like it throws my rhythm off just enough to be distracting.

I end up loving myself more often than not while holding a charge nail and then realizing I'm above an enemy and trying to pogo them, which results in the spinning slash move which sends me plummeting into the spikes below.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat that makes me feel terribly unskilled

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

i still can't really believe people actually get any use out of shape of unnnnh. It's like a whole new mechanic to learn and gently caress up with and even then it might not be optimal. Respect if you can do it but it seems way too hard.

Yea I could never get the hang of it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oh poo poo, 70 new posts in the Hollow Knight thread, must be some news about the sequel!

Oh...

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

posts like this are even more worthless, thanks

^ As opposed this beauty ^

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

That seems silly to me. All challenges are self imposed, except maybe staying alive.

So you play all games that have difficulty options on easy? You only play Halo on easy? You get nothing from beating legendary since you could play on easy?

Well, that doesn't work for me because I know how to hack games and give myself infinite HP. No matter what game you play its all artificial man.

Where's that one gaming comic about mario kart...

https://www.xkcd.com/423/

Self imposed challenges means purposely hamstringing yourself above and beyond he difficulty the game throws at you. An example would playing halo with the pistol only, not playing halo on easy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There’s nothing wrong with liking that kind of challenge yourself, but just because something is technically possible doesn’t mean the devs intended it. If they add an achievement for something, then they playtested for that specific thing, and it was very much intended. Again, different strokes, nothing wrong with how you find video games fun, it’s just not for me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cactus posted:

Yeah, naah, think I'll wait for Silksong. I have celeste on switch but made the mistake of trying to play it immediately after putting Hollow Knight down, so that it clashed with all the muscle memory I'd built up over the weeks. Now that HK is sufficiently forgotten I can probably get back to climbing the mountain with a little more success, it can tide me over.

Celeste is legitimately great. Definitely give it another shot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there a release date yet for Silksong?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Congratulations man! I gave up on both of those, mad respect, yo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I’m not big on platformers or metroidvanias but this is probably one the top 5 games I’ve ever played. It’s honestly amazing it’s made by such an small team. I can’t wait for the sequel.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I had already done all there is to do before Godseeker was released and the task of learning how to play again to fight all these bosses consecutively was too daunting at the time. But, I’ve come back to it and just finished the third pantheon! God this game is brutal but so rewarding.

I even got Sly on the first try which was nice.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is the only way to fight the Pure Vessel and Radiance by doing the 4th and 5th pantheons? Because I’d like to fight them but there’s no way I’m making it through those.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Doing the third Pantheon unlocks Godseeker mode, which has Pure Vessel unlocked in the Hall of Gods.

For Absolute Radiance there no options aside from doing Pantheon 5

Does Godseeker mode mean I have to start a new game and get all the way to the Hall of Gods?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I loved the white palace. Git gud scrubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

There was a secret ENDGAME zone in SMW made up of nuclear powered platforming super levels that’s required utter mastery of the game to beat, I’d put them about on par with White Palace, but again, I only beat White Palace by combining charms to negate the gruesome walk backs and skipping about 20% of it with clever crystal dashing

Where were these?