Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ambivalent posted:

I mean just about everyone's presence is subdued, since there's very little direct exposition, and you rarely interact directly with just about anyone - even the ones you do talk to, few but the Moth and Hornet directly tell you 'hey, this is what's up.' All the dreamers have enough stuff around them, and in their snippets of text, that you can sort of get an implication of their situation and what would have driven them to sacrifice themselves. Spelling it out anymore would be sort of heavy-handed, I think.

Herrah bound herself due to a bargain made with the King for a child. Lurien is a devout believer in the king - probably especially because she's a prominent figure in high society in Hallownest, Monomon was a scholar who feared an end of diversity in thought (but possibly regretted creating a static and unchanging world? Hard to tell from sentence fragments)

To detail Herrah further, the child that the bargain was made to create was Hornet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Internet Kraken posted:

Look when I heard the name Herrah THE BEAST I wanted to get a really awesome boss fight out of them. The stalker devouts being the toughest enemies in the game only made me want that fight even more.

stalking devouts aren't tough, they're just tedious when they're in narrow corridors

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Discendo Vox posted:

If you skip the fight with mr. skippable from the early game, is it possible to get to the secret area in the room without beating him?

I was thinking there was a Shape of Unn+ grub transformation, but there isn't. It may be worth trying some other things, though, such as the grub abilities.

It should be, but I'm guessing the thing that should be there won't be there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Justin_Brett posted:

Trial of the Fool is loving garbage. What does this prove exactly? Why is there a boss you can only practice on if you spend ten minutes slogging through waves that are not difficult at all?

it proves that anyone who cares enough to beat it is a fool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bewilderment posted:

Also man fuuuuck Soul Tyrant.

Lost Kin just requires equipping Defender's Crest and it's a straightforward fight.
Fallen Champion can be cheesed 4-Kings style with Stalwart Shell and a bunch of health.

Soul Tyrant there is no cheese, in the end I just had to learn to take it slow and hit him during the few windows he's not teleporting everywhere. I even died to the second form twice which really made me sad, until I finally beat him.

Soul Tyrant is the easiest of the three though? Then again, maybe that's because I didn't rely on cheese strategies.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bewilderment posted:

It's maybe not the hardest to do regularly but it seems like it takes the longest because of how small the windows to hit him are.

Lost Kin is absolutely the easiest though.

Soul Tyrant is definitely easier than Lost Kin (not counting defender's crest abuse)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Do you have the Garms from Forgotten Crossroads?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the white palace is...

good

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ambivalent posted:

I dislike that charm a lot and it's baby tickling slashes tbh... Depends on playstyle. Only time I can suggest it is the Flower quest for being extra super safe if you want

Those "baby tickling slashes" scale with your nail damage. Half your standard attack damage at range is nothing to sniff at.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

maybe you should invest in a bank

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bewilderment posted:

Which NPC is the most forgotten or ignored NPC in the game?

Is it the guy who sells you Rancid Eggs despite there being way more than enough not just in the game, but in that very same area?
Or is it that the one regular bug woman locked in her house in City of Tears?

definitely the rancid egg selling lady. at least the cackling regular bug lady is memorable as she delights in the suffering of her former peers

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

have you considered that the white palace is in fact good?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Roadie posted:

I've gotten into this game lately, and while I love most of it, gently caress whoever decided to make "having an indicator on the map takes an upgrade slot" be a thing.

Similarly, whoever decided to make you randomly hunt just to enable your map in an area deserves a slap in the face.

I can understand having a problem with the compass, but having to find Cornifer is great because it means you have to rely on your own sense of direction for a bit.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In this eve of the content update, let us take a moment to remember what could have been.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pigbuster posted:

I mean, they technically already have since they didn't meet the Fool's Arena goal IIRC.

Same with the Abyss.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kurtofan posted:

radiance is kicking my rear end

she tends to do that

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I got up to Zote v4 and ow he's doing double damage.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

So do you have to be on a new file to access this stuff because I loaded up my endgame one and zote is just kinda hanging out in dirtmouth.

Try Bretta's house

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love this game.

Bretta's house and Dung Defender's hidden room

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Discendo Vox posted:

Costs an essence? Are they not finite?

Basic enemies can drop essence now.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Irony.or.Death posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but this game is way bigger than I was expecting it to be. This is, like, the third night in a row where I figured I'd just play a quick half hour or so to go check out one of the little crannies I'd passed by earlier/didn't have the ability I needed to reach and ended up falling into a giant pit or something and wandering through three new areas. Two hours later I have located a new station and returned to town with absolutely no progress made in the direction I thought I was going to be heading next.

Hollow Knight more than any other metroidvania has absolutely nailed the sense of getting lost in a vast and intriguing world. I felt like a kindred spirit.with Cornifer when I played.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of (from the AMA)

I am the master of zotes

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 6, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The White Palace is a good and fun place.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I hope the Hornet DLC is a prequel and you encounter all 5 knights.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hells to the yes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

this update summarised:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nightmare King is deffos my new favourite fight in the game.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 27, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fractalairduct posted:

I hear there's two different endings to the Grimm Troupe stuff? Is it obvious when you have to make a choice between them?

I didn't know there was two endings until after I completed it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just did the Path of Pain. That was some insane platforming in the best way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://i.gyazo.com/621eda583fd000e9f832081b0d0e2848.mp4

don't talk to me or my nine sons ever again

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Molybdenum posted:

I just did the first Colosseum fight, the boss was great.

I have questions: I have the double jump, the shadow dash,, half of the broken charm, just as a reference for how far I am

so is my little guy just the latest in a series of clones from the king, trying to undo whatever he messed up the first time around? That big pile of busted bodies in the abyss and the infected clone boss that changed the crossroads seem like pretty solid indicators.

Not the latest, but one of the rejected attempts at creating a Vessel

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

OzFactor posted:

I have bought everything there is to buy... is there anything I can do with all this Geo? I already got the vessel fragment from the fountain.

Also I'm assuming I'm going to have to do one of these dream boss refights, right? I'm sitting at 1200 essence and I'm not sure there are any warrior dreams left.

When you summon the Grimm Troupe there will be an NPC who exists primarily as a geo sinkhole.

Divine turns your Fragile charms into Unbreakable charms for 9/12/15k respectively for Greed/Heart/Strength

And yeah I'm pretty sure the essence costs are tuned around needing to do at least one dream boss. If you're at 1200, that means you're definitely missing at least one warrior dream though.

edit: Have you got the Shadow Dash? One of the dream warriors requires that lategame upgrade to get to.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Metroixer posted:

I have been devouring this game (or has it been devouring....me?) and can't really tell how far in I am, but 2 things have been bugging me. (for reference, my most recent power up is the double jump, and I have been tasked with fighting the 3 dreamers)

- What are the rotten eggs, king idols, city crest etc. for? I thought I would have run into an NPC by now who would want something to do with any of them but have not had any luck. I feel like I am missing something obvious.

- There's a yellow, glowing orb that shows up when I pull out at least two of the area maps I have. Does this mean I have collected everything in that area?

really great game and wish I didn't sleep on it for so long. Has quickly risen up my favs for this year and probably all time and still feels like I have so much left to do.

1) An NPC is Dirtmouth will summon your shade for one rancid egg. It's the lady in the locked cave on the far right.
2) My best guess is that's your Dreamgate if you've found it. Can you take a screenshot?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Artelier posted:

I found the White Palace. :stonk: :suicide:

:allears:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A recent update also made it so you can enter the White Palace again after you get kicked out.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pigbuster posted:

I think I found regular White Palace more frustrating than Path of Pain solely because of that drat spear hallway.

...huh, I'd heard about that happening but I wasn't sure why it never did to me. That reminds me how something this game can be absolutely fantastic about is subtly edging the player in the right direction. I saw someone mention how, because Cornifer always leaves Sacred Rest before you can get to him, the player's forced to go to Iselda's shop to buy the map, which ensures that the player sees the new soul-related pins for sale. That's just brilliant.

Bretta only leaves if you've defeated Grey Prince Zote enough to turn her statue gold and disillusion her about him. It also gives a new chapter of her fanfiction diary.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Failed Champion is definitely the hardest of the base game's dream refights unless you use the special cheese tactic.

Do not read this unless you want to ruin a fun boss fight. Quickslash, Fragile Strength, Joni's Blessing and as much blue health as you can cram on your charm bar. Don't bother with dodging or anything, just dps race him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The White Palace is...

good

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Get the mantis claw then go up the secret left of where you start the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Radiance is everything I could want in a final boss fight. She is difficult, got a cool varied moveset, fantastic music, a great look and the general atmosphere of the fight is fantastic especially with the end when you feed her to the void.

As for the ghosts, I imagine that they're not actual ghosts, they're just remaining impressions. They're never referred to as spirits, only as dreams. "Linger dream of a fallen warrior", etc. On the other hand, if they are actual ghosts, then you are murdering them for no reason. You never need the 1 point of essence that comes from eating a non-boss ghost.

Also before you close off the game I recommend going to the Howling Cliffs and looking around. Specifically, a breakable wall on the right a few screen-lengths beneath Cornifer.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 19, 2017