Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nostalgamus posted:

I'm nearly done, got the third arena and the new boss ruch mode to go (I've killed the Radiance).

A few questions:
After picking up the Weaversong charm in the Weaver's den, I saw a living version of the dead spider creatures that were lying about. It ran away at the sight of me, and I've never seen it after that. Is there any information on who/what that was?

I ended up banishing the Circus. After fighting Grimm, I was asked to collect three more flames, and after that there was...nothing? Going back to the tent I just find Grimm sleeeping. I tried the upgraded boss fight once before deciding to banish instead. I looked up how, and it feels like there was nothing whatsoever in-game pointing me to go to deepnest and talk to the accordion bug there. Did I miss something?

IIRC there's some lore somewhere suggesting that the weavers departed from Hallownest sometime before the kingdom fell to ruin. But yeah, there's just that one who you see for a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Storywise, what's going on with the Grimm Troupe? I didn't totally grasp what was going on from the in-game dialog but did really like the NKG fight

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about. Filet mignon really got me into steak; that's why I really like hot dog.

Hey cool, I too love inexplicably making GBS threads on what other people like

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mymla posted:

This is the worst post ever made on these forums.

I'm glad you took back the Worst Poster title from that pretender

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

It's not inexplicable. The white palace is bad.

Who cares, let people enjoy things that you don't like without comment, shitbird

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

brain dammej posted:

I think the infinite soul totems in PoP are an effective acknowledgement of a weakness in the platforming gameplay.

That doesn't really follow; by that argument every bench or soul/health restoration mechanism would be an acknowledgement of a gameplay weakness.

They're really just creating invisible containers for each platforming subsection. Health management is being tested, but only within each subsection. This improves accessibility while providing clearly defined checkpoints for the player to feel a repeating sense of accomplishment, it's good game design.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh cool a dentist bug

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hornet wasn't a block for me, but False Knight was. Soul Master was a big one, too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People interested in randomizers of metroidvanias might be interested in the Super Metroid and Link to the Past Crossover Randomizer

Basically you upload ROM files for Super Metroid and Link to the Past and it generates a custom ROM that combines both games into a single randomized experience. You start off in Super Metroid and can cross into Link to the Past and vice-versa via in-game portals, and items are randomly spread across both games. The randomization is also guaranteed to create an experience that can be completed (killing Ganon and Mother Brain) without cheating

https://samus.link/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

They're two very good games, and being randomized means getting to experience them together in a new way :shrug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So don't use the randomizer, why are you getting so worked up over this

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cactus posted:

No one was being a dick.

Looking down on people for liking different things than you is dickish. It's the difference between "I don't think that I would enjoy that" and "lol you must be incredibly bored to play such a broken experience, get your poo poo together"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The coolest thing about Godmaster is the new fights, especially with the various nail masters.

But there's simply no way that I'm going to ever get either of those 2 final endings. Simply not worth it, watching a youtube video is good enough

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

Cool thanks! I just looked it up, apparently that's all free dlc? Wow. I used the dream nail but everything else is new. Is it worth creating a new save (my old one is long gone) to see grim/troupe/godmaster content, or are they aimed more at masochists? For the record I got the radiant ending, but could never finish the Fool's arena.

Godmaster is the only one that lives off in the masochism zone, all of that stuff is kind of weirdly not part of the main game. The other DLC are well-integrated and feel normal as part of a playthrough. I wouldn't create a new save just for that little bit of content unless you were really hankering for another playthrough

One of the best boss fights in the game is part of the Troupe, but it's optional and contingent on a choice that you make. But you can also unlock that fight in Godhome, along with other fights that are exclusive to Godhome, so it's nothing to worry about

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol I too thought that was just the normal Godhome version, having not really done any of that content

I like how it just gets progressively more insane; homing spears spawning almost on top of you, then all of the platforms have spikes on them, then the platforms start disappearing until there's just 1 left with no floor, then no surfaces at all and you have to keep yourself up by hit-bouncing the spike walls over and over

Here's his version of Nightmare King Grimm. It starts out pretty crazy and rumps up to eventually spawning a second copy of the boss lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFT0a0myvZA

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

just did the 5-hour speed run achievement, after dying to the hollow knight about 20 times in a row. I'm definitely not ready for steel soul but I'm going to start diving into those anyway

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Well, see, I was just going for the achievement.

I'd like to get it legitimately, but there are certain bullshit bosses that I might use that trick on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

100%ing in Steel Soul mode was surprisingly easy to do, I even combined that with the achievement to get 100% completion in under 20 hours (I did it in about 18h). I didn't have to do any alt+f4 shenanigans, just played relatively safe and went for nail and soul art upgrades asap. I did use an online map to plan my route, I figured since I had already seen everything I wasn't spoiling anything. Hive Blood did a lot of work, too, it creates a ton of leeway if your dodging is relatively consistent but not perfect. Gathering Swarm, Fragile Heart, and Fragile Strength were also pretty core to my build. I did this despite not having played the game in over a year; there were a few surprises but nothing devastating, most of the boss patterns came back to me pretty easily.

I remember having to make a million attempts on the Trial of the Fool when I first played through the game, but this time I did it twice in a row (for the journal entries). So maybe the godhome achievements aren't really as far out of reach as I thought.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GPZ probably should be before the rest point instead of shortly after. Grimm is so tame, comparably. I beat the third pantheon a few times last night while working on bindings and GPZ was definitely the hardest part each time

Also noticed that Grimm bows to the Godseeker instead of to the player, that's pretty cool

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yinlock posted:

not worth the hours of insane tedium beforehand imo

Well obviously don't even bother if you don't like fighting Hollow Knight bosses but I've been enjoying it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

God Tamer doesn't take me long, I just bounce on the beast's face over and over and move laterally a little bit to avoid weapon swings. It might take longer if you're not using the strength charm

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Reached the Pure Vessel, and yeah that pantheon just feels like it's a lot easier than the third one. Gave up after 2 attempts and decided to practice a bit in that big hall of boss fights. And then decided to go up to Radiant difficulty on sisters of battle, because that fight owns, and then just started from the bottom and started working through other bosses on Radiant difficulty too. It's been pretty fun so far. I had the most difficulty on Hornet since she's a little faster and less predictable than most other bosses. I have old lady reflexes but with practice I've been knocking these out one at a time.

ilmucche posted:

This game is so weird in that I've played it and gotten to the final boss but what you're all talking about sounds like a completely different game with different areas.

Godhome adds some new bosses, and new areas that are easy to miss. Like it's really weird that access to Godhome stuff is located in some corner of the royal waterways, after you open a sarcophagus and dreamnail a big fancy bug; most games would put it in a more obvious place, like literally a new bug would show up in Dirtmouth. I like it better this way I think

I really do like the new bosses in Godhome, they're all excellent.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have been working through Radiant difficulty bosses one at a time and haven't encountered any where I disliked the Ascended changes. I like that some fights lose footing, usually they're the ones where dodging is super easy otherwise. Xero only does one kind of attack and it has a long windup so that's a good candidate for the removal of some footing, and I like the change

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wait, I thought Pantheon of Hallownest was all Ascended difficulty bosses? I just tried Pantheon of Hallownest for the first time, and the boss arenas were the Ascended arenas but the damage and health was only at Attuned level.

I made it all the way to NKG on the first try, but since I hadn't practiced on him at all he killed me. There were several times that I made it to a rest room with life blood masks remaining, I think I have a real shot at doing this.

Really enjoyed getting to finally fight Tiso

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Well their health totals felt like they were lower than ascended, but it's not like I'm keeping count :shrug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah Pantheon of Hallownest is surprisingly not that bad, the rest rooms are a lot more frequent than I expected. NKG is still as hard as always and is "the real dark souls starts here" for the pantheon, and that's at the end

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Do you use Mark of Pride? It makes Sly a lot easier. I dropped Hive Blood for it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

While working on Radiant boss encounters I'm equipping these:
Mark of Pride
Quick Slash
Unbreakable Heart
Unbreakable Strength

"Wait, why are you equipping a charm that boosts health in encounters where 1 hit instantly kills you?" Because I'm treating these fights as practice for the Pantheon of Hallownest, of course!

By this point I'm so used to the range and speed that I don't think I'll be able to drop Mark of Pride or Quick Slash. And if I'm Nail focused then Unbreakable Strength is an obvious upgrade. And then Unbreakable Heart because mistakes get made, I like to have that buffer... but I've been wondering whether Carefree Melody or Shaman Stone would be better for that slot

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The main character is at least part bug, I think. I guess it depends on how you define "bug". The siblings at least maintain their bug shape even without a shell so there's something bug-like about them still

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:siren: Radiant NKG down

Honestly that one was harder than Radiant Pure Vessel. But not nearly as hard as Radiant Zote, who I still have not beaten

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The human brain is such a cool thing. Have been struggling with Radiant Grey Prince for several days and today got him on my first try like it was nothing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People have been accusing the forums of dying for years but I thought this was "everyone dies sometime" and not "you have a cancerous tumor that abuses women"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ascended Absolute Radiance down!

Now for Radiant Absolute Radiance (:psyduck:)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MJeff posted:

Wanna start doing some bindings on the lower tier pantheons so I can unlock some lifeblood, anybody with experience have any tips for each binding?

Like brain dammej said use the hall of gods to practice and learn patterns/get better at dodging. If you can beat all of the bosses in a pantheon on Radiant difficulty then you can definitely beat that pantheon with any one binding.

The new bosses are roadblocks in the sense that you don't get to see them in the normal game, so their patterns are completely unknown. Practice with them and you'll figure out how they move and how to avoid getting hit. Even Sly moves quickly but has a lot of tells and becomes extremely easy to predict and counter.

For the lower pantheons my charms were always Quick Slash, Mark of Pride, Fragile Strength, and Fragile Heart. For the pantheon of hallownest I've begun playing with a spellcasting build to be able to burst down Absolute Radiance when the moment comes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pantheon of Hallownest cleared

A year ago I'm certain I was posting in here to talk about what BS it is that 2 endings are locked behind such a huge difficulty wall but it honestly wasn't so bad, I was just burnt out by the end of my first playthrough. Now I think that Godhome may be aimed at people coming back to the game after being away for awhile, as that's what it took for me to start getting into it and enjoying it.

The biggest obstacles were just learning the patterns of the last 2 bosses.

I finished Radiant difficulty on every boss except Absolute Radiance, and bindings on all of the pantheons except Hallownest. I don't think I'm going to stick around to do any of the Hallownest bindings or finish Absolute Radiance on Radiant difficulty; I believe that I could do these things if I cared to sink more time into them, but I'm feeling burnt out again. Really glad that I came back to this game to go after the speed run and steel soul achievements, I never saw any of the Godhome bosses on my first playthrough and those alone were worth coming back for. This should tide me over until Silksong comes out in 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

is radiance in logic without the shade cloak because I have access to it but don't even have the mothwing cloak yet

In the normal game you need the void heart to fight radiance, and you need the shade cloak to get the void heart, so it depends on whether the void heart is treated like a normal charm. The way you get it is pretty unlike other charms and very location-specific so it might be in the normal place

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

ha! NKG dusted! only took me...maybe twenty tries!

and the first five or six was just getting my rear end kicked until i could figure out the spacing for his attacks. the claw rush into uppercut was what got me most, the fireball follow-up kept taxing my reflexes

I wound up saving the shade dash for those uppercuts, the fireballs just come so fast that I couldn't reliability dodge them without those iframes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sisters of Battle and Pure Vessel are my favorite two fights. NKG is a close third. e: otoh Sly has to fit in there somehow too, geeze this game has so many good boss fights

cheetah7071 posted:

really all of the dream warrior bosses kinda suck but only No Eyes and Markoth are actually hard, and Markoth only in the pantheon when there's no floor in the arena

Wait, No Eyes as in the person who just floats around while ghost heads slowly float across the screen? I thought she was pretty easy

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 18, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Markoth requires a lot of patience

When working on Radiant Markoth I found that I could pretty consistently get at least 4 hits on him by just bouncing on his head at the very start, since his spears aren't really rolling yet and his little shield is on its first loop around. That part of the fight is pretty easy and consistent. The rest of the first half is not too bad; you can just focus on dodging spears while watching for good openings to get 1 hit in. When he sits still and projects his shield in big concentric circles, that's a great time to get a bunch of hits in since he's not creating spears; you can shade-dash to guarantee that you get past the shield, then just bounce on his head for awhile until the shield comes back and shade-dash out again.

The second half is much harder and most of my damage was from spells. I saved up all of my soul for the second half to blitz down his remaining health, but even then you still need to get a few melee hits in. Hope you've got the strength charm on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There's a neat trick for the last phase of Radiance: if the projectiles go above the screen, they despawn. So if you just constantly pogo-hop on Radiance's head, dashing to wherever it teleports, then you won't ever get hit. And it's not a big deal if you miss a hop and have to start over, Radiance has a huge hitbox and you don't get damaged by it.

The second phase is the hard one but if you exhibit a lot of patience and reserve some Soul from phase 1 then you can burst it down pretty quickly. If you haven't started using Abyss Shriek during boss fights, now's the time