Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Me in Pantheon 3: “Wait when am I supposed to heal against original flavor if he doesn’t have NKG’s easy to avoid pillar move”

Also interesting fact, if you don’t finish Zote’s storyline you don’t have to fight him in the pantheon. I guess he’ll be hanging out down in Hallownest for awhile yet, it takes long enough to get through all these bosses as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Meanwhile I strolled into pantheon 4 for the first time and immediately got smashed by Lost Kin, so I guess some bosses late game are harder than others.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I dunno, I don't think the boss being discussed is that overtuned. The Traitor Lord is an endgame boss, right? It took me a few tries to take him down, but I don't think he's any worse than bosses like Lost Kin, Failed Champion, regular Grimm or Hornet 2, and he's certainly much easier than NKG or the Radiance. The Queen's Gardens is one of the last areas players will see, and the Traitor Lord is one of the few bosses you need the Shade Cloak to see, so it fits with expectations for him to be tough.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Boss tier list

1. NKG
2. The Radiance
3. Failed Champion
4. That loving laser rear end in a top hat in the crystal mines

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The real question is, when are we getting a Quirrel game

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Same, except not bothering to get any pale ore in a speed run attempt

Here lies the Knight, tried to beat watcher knights with 5 health and one nail upgrade and died

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I would rather clear the main White Palace path 8 times than do "Tubular" once

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I wonder if there will be some goofy Metroid Prime “thing” that nerfs Hornet’s powers at the start of the game. Won’t care either way, game is going to be amazing.

I mean, we already know Hornet is very strong, but her power definitely comes with strings attached

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Who else got the first ending without shadow dash? I can’t be the only one.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I don’t think there’s another roadblock quite like Hornet, just because the game opens up so much after you fight her. It’s common to hear people getting stuck against Soul Master, Mantis Lords, Watcher Knights, Crazy Laser Dude 2 and some other bosses, but in these cases the player can just go explore somewhere else until they get stronger.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Unfortunately the secret to Grimm is “learn his patterns.” He has a lot of tough attacks to dodge but fundamentally they’re the same each time; beyond which attack is chosen, there’s not really any randomness involved. As such, if you go in trying to build up the instincts to detect, dodge, and if possible punish each attack, you’ll get him eventually.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm pretty sure I didn't meet her until I saw the first ending, which let me tell you, limited my options a bit

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I remember healing against Grimm II using the charm that turns you into a slug. It’s tricky to find good times for it but it’s not impossible.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Spoilers: it’s like regular Grimm but harder

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I felt really cool when doing that. I'm feeling a lot better about this attempt at the game. The first time I played, I treated the game like a beat em up. It was so frustrating because I was just mashing attack on bosses instead of learning the patterns. Mantis Lords was the first fight I've done where I actually learned the patterns and waited to attack until I knew the pattern was safe, and it was really satisfying once I figured it all out. And then I went straight to the miniboss above cornifer in city of tears and it feels random with those ghost dudes, and got frustrated immediately.

This is funny to me because I actually got stomped by Mantis Lords, gave up, found the City of Tears, and beat up the Soul Master instead.

Hollow Knight really is an astonishingly open game after the beginning; most people I’ve talked to have very different routes they took through it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Anybody else fight mawlek after seeing two endings

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

It is written in Wisdom 1:11, “a lying mouth destroys the soul”. It follows from Scripture that an attempt to acquire the Steel Soul through lies contradicts itself and cannot truly succeed.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm playing through Hollow Knight again, and I decided to play the whole game overcharmed to add a certain pizzazz to the experience.

I proceeded to immediately die to the Brooding Mawlek like five times in a row. Brutal boss early in the game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

Battery issues are luck of the draw, and affect every manufacturer.

I’ve come back around to the idea that built-in rechargeable batteries are a mistake. I have one of the new XBox controllers, and it’s incredibly convenient to be able to replace the batteries when they run dry. It’s way better than having to plug the thing in.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I bought rechargeable AA batteries.

e: Which hollow knight character knows the most about batteries? I’m guessing soul master

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I really liked the Resting Grounds. It felt more peaceful than anywhere else, and had great music.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

My overcharmed playthrough of Hollow Knight is coming to a close. It's a really fun way to reexperience the game, though of course it's only going to be interesting if you like it when the game is hard.

The White Palace was a pain in the rear end. As expected, Nightmare King Grimm really wasn't that bad, since the fight is so consistent. I had a harder time with Zote, honestly.

I'm not going to do all the Zote refights (or the White Defender ones), but I'd like to finish the colosseum. That place was horrifying. Even the second challenge was, I think, about as hard as the most difficult bosses, maybe harder.

After that I'll check out Godhome, which I've never really explored. But... not overcharmed, I think.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I got filtered by the colosseum.

I'll go back once I practice the boss a lot. I guess I probably have to beat them first to unlock them in practice mode, though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Oh, that's good to know. I'll have to try that.

In other news I beat all the Pantheons! Uh, not overcharmed, though. It wound up being a lot smoother than I expected. I'm still not really comfortable with the final boss's stage where it's wandering around platforms. Or Markoth. Or Lost Kin honestly. Lost Kin is a jerk. But I got my head around everything else and didn't manage to throw the final encounter away.

A cool thing! A boss rush of every boss is probably too long, I think; they could have at least cut the refights. But there's definitely something cool about it. And all the Godhome-unique bosses are neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Oh yeah the Sisters of Battle are really funny. Just a joyous surprise.