Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Picked this up in the Steam sale today and sunk about four hours into it. It's fun, and also looks and sounds great!

Is there any way to manually annotate the map? I just picked up the wall jump after passing by a bunch of places where I said "I'll bet I need a wall jump to get past here!" but I can't remember where they all are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pigbuster posted:

They were going to add custom pins into the most recent content patch, but an issue forced them to delay it to the next one.

Ah nuts, but good on them for adding stuff to the game post-release.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
First playthrough update: this game rules and is the first game in a long while where I've gone "I'll stop after I take a look at X" and then I'm in X and say "oh I'll stop once I do Y" and whoops I've been playing over an hour longer than I meant to. If we're still doing spoilers, I just picked up the double jump upgrade, and while I'm pretty sure the game wants me to a certain spot in that same zone next there's like a dozen different things I could do right now and ugh decision paralysis :negative:

Also, I accidentally iced a ghost with the Dream Nail, is that a problem? It was the gold mustachoid bug in a secret tunnel in the Pleasure House, I talked to him and he didn't really say anything or offer any services, and I had been wondering if the Dream Nail does anything to NPCs, and well...whoops

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

brain dammej posted:

Only if you think ghost-murder is a problem.

I mean I still feel bad, but as long as I didn't lock myself out of anything then I'll get over it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Carecat posted:

I was really disappointed at how much HK got snubbed by Giant Bomb's game of the year as well. They don't trash it but most of them don't like the art style, the music gets some praise. Dead Cells gets more respect.

I kind of felt the same thing, but I feel like a few people on that staff don't really like Metroidvanias so I just think there wasn't a ton of interest to try it out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Torquemadras posted:

You should buy a lantern and go east of forgotten crossroads, then

:getin:

Yeah, definitely buy the lantern ASAP because it's required for a number of areas. I got stuck in Crystal Peak because I entered it using the Desolate Dive but didn't have the lantern to take the other route out of it, so I had to finish that whole area while kind of under-powered.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 20, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Countblanc posted:

"Required" is such a strong word

I remember fuddling about in the dark cave that connect Forgotten Crossroads to that area and I don't remember seeing the prompt to pay and open the gate between them until I had the lamp, but maybe I just didn't get through it enough. Yes you can navigate those areas without the lamp but I wouldn't recommend it on a first-time playthrough!

Torquemadras posted:

One way is to make use of the tram stations throughout the world. In the area past the Mantis Lords, you can eventually find something that allows you to use the stations. The station from Forgotten Crossroads in the east will take you to Resting Grounds. There's also the possibility to take another tram to the eastern part of the City of Tears, and ascend from there to Resting Grounds.

Those trams have been an enigma to me this entire game and I thought I heard someone else say that the key to using them was in that area. Just one more thing on my to-do list in this game :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Just got the level 4 nail and how the hell do you forge a drill-shaped sword

Also I'm guessing that there's one more nail upgrade after this?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

skasion posted:

Yes, but it’s pretty tricky to get (gotta beat the second trial in the Colosseum in addition to tracking down all the other pale ore).

I haven't even gotten to the Colosseum yet so yeah I'm fine with it being a long ways off. I did get the last bit of Pale Ore for this upgrade from the area at the top of Crystal Peak though and it was v pretty.

There's like four or five different places that I'm aware of where I could explore next and I'm gripped by indecision lol. This game rules.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think I know what those areas are but I haven't been to either yet. I'm not even quite sure how to get to QE but I think I at least know what side of the map it's on (Left)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Well that was a long-rear end session. Decided to poke my head into Kingdom's Edge, then wound up fighting Hornet again and then crawling inside of a dead wurm. Got the King's Mark and thought "hey maybe this goes to that door in the Ancient Basin" and oh God there's a giant spooky pit underneath this place and oh God I sucked up this evil-looking liquid and now I can dash through these black barriers in Fog Canyon so why don't I just do all of the Canyon and Queen's Garden now. Oh hey it's my buddy Cloth and now she's helping me fight this evil mantis and oh no RIP Cloth. Also thanks for giving me half of a charm giant light lady. I'm 15 hours in now and it feels like the only things I have to do now is take on the Dreamers (especially the one in Deepnest, which I've barely explored), but this game keeps surprising me so who the gently caress knows what will happen. It's rad.

Also do you get any sort of benefit from using the Dream Nail on NPC spirits? I really don't want to have to exorcise my #1 homie Cloth :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are there any more doors that interact with the King's Mark than the one I mentioned previously? I could have sworn that I've seen more than one door that looks like that but I'm trying to remember where.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh man just forgot my favorite part of last night's play session- going back to the map shop after getting the last map from Cornifer and seeing him snoring in the background :3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someone in this thread or in the game said that if you equip a charm that has a unique interaction(s) with other charms, those other charms will glow in your menu while the first charm is equipped. Is this true, because I haven't noticed it with the Defender's Crest, which people tell me does something unique with like half of the other charms in the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

Salubria says that some charms sing together, but I don't think there's any UI indicator

Ah nuts. Time to experiment then.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
poo poo, I guess I'd better hurry up and finish this game (yes I know it says you'll be able to access the new stuff at any point in the game)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

I hope new mode is boss rush. I'd have to learn how to beat the Failed Champion but probably worth.

I'd love a boss rush/refight mode even if they scaled your equipment and abilities down to what you would realistically have in-game. The boss fights in this game have been some of my favorite moments.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Me, at the start of a play session: OK time to finally explore Deepnest!

Me, during the play session: Oh hey what's that over there *spends 90 minutes doing everything but Deepnest, including unlocking the Grimm Troupe quest by accident*

Maybe I'll get around to it next time :v: Gotta love a game that compels you to make a to-do list.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally took the plunge into Deepnest and cleared it out, boy is that place creepy and unforgiving. Midwife :gonk:

Also am I the only one who was disappointed that Herrah wasn't a boss fight? I'm guessing that the rest of them are like that (she was the first Dreamer I took down), and there's probably story justification for it, but I was all pysched up for a battle that never came.

Feels like I'm getting pretty close to the end, got two empty spots on my Charms list, two Dreamers to take down, and the Colosseum. I guess I have some dream fights to do too (warriors and re-fights alike)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh well then I have something to look forward to. But I think I know what one of those fights will be and I'm super not looking forward to it.

Also, is there an upgraded version of the upward magic attack?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hmmm...I have no idea where that could be, if it's not in the one little part of the map that I have yet to visit. Time to explore!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I can't lock myself out of ~the real ending~ in a given save file if I do the normal ending first, right? Which I assume is just killing the three Dreamers, then visiting the Black Egg without having visited The Abyss or doing anything with this awoken Dream Nail or this split charm

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ambivalent posted:

you can't lock yourself out of a later ending, no, if you ever beat the game, the save reloads to just in front of the boss

Thanks, went ahead and did the normal ending. That fight and what happens after it was honestly kind of a downer (as in bummer, not a let-down)

Also without even realizing it I finished the game with 100% completion in 21 hours...when the achievement for a fast 100% run is sub-20 :sad:

Still have Trial of the Fool, Failed Champion, and Soul Tyrant to look forward to in addition to White Palace and Path of Pain. They don't gently caress around with this endgame stuff!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 26, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
White Palace down :toot: That was alright I guess, the worst part was some very stingy respawn points for certain portions. I also got confused at the end and almost walked out without the reward.

Now that I have that reward and its counterpart...I don't know where to go next :sweatdrop: I had one idea of what to do next (using the Dream Nail on the fountain in the Abyss) but that wants me to do something else first. I think I once heard someone say that the Fungal Core area is important near the very end of the game but I have no idea how you would figure that out in-game, unless I'm not supposed to go there just yet. Time to explore some more!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Not necessarily. From the sound of things I think that poster hasn't been to Queen's Garden yet.

I've been there, so I have both halves of the Kingsoul.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So...any advice on beating the true final boss? Because hoo boy did that thing run me over on my first few attempts, even with Unbreakable Strength.

Also, I'm missing two Mask Shards, and while I know that one of them is the flower quest I'm not sure where the other one is. I'm guessing that it's one I saw in the early game and couldn't get without a power-up, and then promptly forgot about it once I did get the needed power-up. Any Mask Shards that would fit that description?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Found that Mask Shard I was missing. Time to do the flower quest and finally max out my health :negative:

Also what's up with the mushroom with a human face that I found in Fungal Wastes, the one that speaks in gibberish but has actual dialogue if you Dream Nail it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe you have a charm that could help you interact with Fungi?

I tried talking to it with the fungal spore charm equipped and it seemed to react to that, except not the first time I spoke to it? I know that each time you speak to it it moves to another location in the world, is there any merit to seeing that sequence all the way through?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh hey they released an update for this? I should really go back and actually beat it...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If I'm doing the flower quest and decide to be a bro and give the flower to Elderbug, I can still go back and complete it the normal way right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Yes you can. So anybody who doesn't give the Elderbug a pretty flower is history's greatest monster.

Word, thanks. Gonna try to do that quest and then finally beat this game this weekend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

skasion posted:

There’s a good basic guide on the Steam page for the old 3 hour version, should give you plenty of leeway.

e: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=878193536

drat that looks...strangely do-able? I've never been one for speedruns but I might have to try this myself.

Zaggitz posted:

Clocked in at 4 hours 3 minutes with a successful run. I ended up going on a slight detour to the nailmasters and the crystal peak/nosk pale ores just to minimize the torture of fighting the watcher knights.

How were you able to get to the top of Crystal Peak without the double-jump? Or did you take a detour for that upgrade?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zaggitz posted:

For the 20 hour 100%/steel souls 100% achievements, that's any 100%, correct? Like now that the total is 106 i can skip a few things like the trial of fools?

Yeah, and I believe that just doing the normal ending will suffice. I got the baseline 100% achievement at "only" 100%...but I got it in 21 hours :negative:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally did the flower quest and beat the true final boss :toot: Good thing I got that last Mask Shard too, I did the very last segment of the boss on 1 health and no Soul for healing. Now onto the DLC...

When I went into the final boss I had 146/147 in my Hunter's Journal, and now after beating it I have 147/148. I haven't done any of the Hidden Dreams bosses, I started but didn't finish the Grimm Troupe questline, and have no idea what the Lifeblood update added to the game other than Hive Knight (which I did beat). Any idea what journal entry I could be missing?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Arrhythmia posted:

Could be a whole bunch of stuff. The first one that comes to mind is the greedy hollow bug who's hiding in the city of tears. There's two corpses of the invincible enemies to be found in the world that it could be. There's a Steam guide that has a complete bestiary, compare yourself with it.

I did get the golden bug, as well as the corpses for the digging wurms in the Crossroads, the big centipedes in Deepnest, and the killer black liquid in the Abyss. I'll check out that Steam guide as well, thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I would think that there is some lifeblood-related content given the name of the content pack, but I haven't seen any indication that there is :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

gently caress me The Radiance has a second stage, this is Sister Friede all over again.

Welcome to me a week or two ago. The absolutely savage way in which that fight ends makes it worth it though.

Don't read this unless you want to be sad: It has a third stage (that is easier than the other two)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 5, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Your Computer posted:

I'm watching a let's play now and despite having played Hollow Knight so recently I get this almost nostalgic feeling in every area once the music kicks in. God drat the music is so ridiculously good in this game :qq:

I finally caved and bought the soundtrack last night because I'm a huge goober who buys video game music. It's an extremely good soundtrack!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

The soundtrack is good but like most video game soundtracks I've bought I'm annoyed that it doesn't actually contain all the songs in the base game. Also it doesn't seem like they are going to update it to include all the tracks added with DLC.

This bugs me too but like you said it's pretty standard, as evidenced by the three Shovel Knight soundtracks that I've bought so far :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there anything that you can do with the big statue in The Abyss once it gives you the upgraded dash? I Dream Nail'd it when I first encountered it and it alluded to the story charm you get at the end of the game, but now that I have that I Dream Nail'd it again and it just gave me some generic cryptic Dream Nail musing. I have to imagine that there's more to it.

Also I stumbled across Path of Pain for the first time and all I can say is "lol gently caress"