Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11662585/hollow-knight/posts/1887534

Looks like there will be three "free content packs" added to the game before the Hornet DLC. I'm curious what they'll contain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I don't really think that quote says the spiders can't reproduce unless that's a side effect of being corrupted by the radiance or something

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=367520

First new content pack is two new bosses and songs, an extra stag station, and whatever dream gate is. It sounds like maybe you can place two teleport ports or something

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The jellyfish fight is great because of the way it's staged. One of the best moments in the game imo. Nosk definitely is missing an attack to go with his running back and forth, makes him feel like a mini boss

I imagine dung defender you will dream nail whiles he's sleeping in his room. No idea what zotes set up will be. Or what the rewards for the fights will be. I guess one will be the dream gate

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I think the white palace should just add more checkpoints or soul refills within the segments. The platforming is fine but you go too far back if you die during one of the segments. I honestly think you could add a bench (or soul refill) at the halfway point of the three segments and 75% of the negative reactions would disappear instantly. You would still have to mechanically perform all the required jumps but the time tax of failure and frustration is limited considerably

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
For those of you who wanted to listen to a podcast talk about hollow knight for two hours (part one), here you go.

https://player.fm/series/bonfireside-chat-a-dark-souls-and-bloodborne-podcast/episode-120-hollow-knight-part-1

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Saying hollow knight is based off Artorias seems like a huge stretch to me. I mean you could also say the watcher knights are based off dark souls 2 belfry gargoyles but it's such a forced comparison to make to me

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Mymla posted:

White palace is the worst level in any game ever.

Do people just not want their posts to be taken seriously when they say stuff like this? You can't think of a worse level in any game ever? Okay then.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Zote fight is in brettas (now existing) basement. Can be refought as he gets harder and suspiciously has 10 candles...

DD fight is in his sleeping hole.

Stag station is behind wall in white palace.

Dream gate is a make your own teleport, costs an essence. Seer gives it, if it already ascended then you should have it.

They also added extra attacks to nosk.

Did I miss anything?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

So It Goes posted:

Zote fight is in brettas (now existing) basement. Can be refought as he gets harder and suspiciously has 10 candles...

DD fight is in his sleeping hole.

Stag station is behind wall in white palace.

Dream gate is a make your own teleport, costs an essence. Seer gives it, if it already ascended then you should have it.

They also added extra attacks to nosk.

Did I miss anything?

Also, the protector ghost in the Glade of Hope now attacks when you try to dream essence the ghosts...

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finished the game last night on a blind run, ended up with around 80% completion and got what I assume is the bad ending. Seems like the main thing to do now is grind out a bunch of essence from those trees and other sources so I can access an area that everyone hates, then beat the true final boss who everyone hates.

People hate the true final boss now?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Fuligin posted:

If someone gets the chance to play the new content, please don't hesitate to give first impressions. If it's the size of Hidden Dreams I wanna wait for the final dlc before starting a new playthrough.

It's more or less the same size as Hidden Dreams. Probably will take most people around 2 hours unless they get majorly stuck on a boss (the final boss is close to radiance level difficulty IMO), or if they decide to look for the quest activation point/charms on their own and have trouble finding them. The quest you do involves going to various places across the entire map, which seems like it would be better as something that is done during a playthrough and not just hopping from point to point because everything else to do in the areas are already completed.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I interpreted the lore as when the radiance was in control the bugs were just an insect hive mind and with the wyrm this was removed, giving rise to individuality and personality.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I think its vague enough that either interpretation could be correct. Its possible that every bug in Hallownest was enthralled by the Radiance before the Pale King banished her. Personally I think that isn't the case, and that the Radiance died from something else. The moth's were worshiping her memory in the dream, but when the Pale King's kingdom rose they abandoned her memory in favor of the King. Her memory, which longed to be remembered forever, lashed out at the Pale King's subjects because of this.

One of the radiance’s dream nail lines refers to you as ancient enemy. This suggests to me there was a direct conflict between the radiance and pale king.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Does Hornet acknowledge you giving her the flower yet?

Seeing some grumbling on Reddit about the blueness of the update, especially in deepnest. Not clear if it’s a bug or intended or a result of optimization changes.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I think every double jump area in the game has either a background object or enemy you can pogo bounce over with maybe an air dash as well. Might involve a small amount of practice to do consistently.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
No. If it was imminent I suspect they would’ve just rolled the recent changes into it instead of releasing it separate, so I would guess it is at least a month from now.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Most mid-late bosses shouldn’t have much of a run cause of the dream gate.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I would be stunned if the new mode isn’t a boss rush mode at this point.

I played on PC but am glad the switch version is out so they can finally finish the content pack and eventually the hornet dlc.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Obviously they will at some point, it was always coming after the switch release. I’d be surprised if it’s not within the next two months at this point, probably in July. Have no idea how long the hornet dlc will be thorough since the scope isn’t even known yet.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Team Cherry showed off Gods and Glory if anyone wants to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lLs9JJw3-s.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I can’t imagine playing hollow knight without sound. Besides stuff like missing cornifer, I can’t imagine not having the themes or character sounds. There are people who go to the map store and don’t get the exasperated Ba Pa Nada? Or the dependent ambience? Sound and music is a tremendous strength of the game, it adds so much to its character I feel.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

There's also no reason to ever make Greed unbreakable because there's no way you're saving more money than you're spending. How many times would you need to break and repair it to come to the same cost as Unbreakable?

To be fair the issue with the breaking is less the cost and more the inconvenience of having to visit leg eater to use it again, who isn’t exactly next to a stag station and I prefer to keep dream gates at a stag station or for boss runs.

I just finished a completionist run (on pc). I got literally every sell item and geo cache, didn’t ever lose geo to deaths and by the end of the game I had enough geo to buy everything and two of the unbreakables. I also didn’t ever use the greed charm, although I had gathering swarm picking stuff up always. I then decided to clean up the hunters journal (which I never did first play through) and by the time I finished that I was only 2k short for the final one, so the geo farming was only for 2k in the end to get literally everything.

Basically, playing normally there is easily enough geo to get everything and at least one unbreakable charm, even factoring in geo losses to deaths and with no farming.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Traitor lord getting new moves like nosk was a great idea but I have no idea why he was given the double damage. Most dream fights don’t even have that. Only his shockwave attack should do it since only that attack “feels” like it would do the double. It hurts cloths story closer too since making the fight so hard makes her not being useful during the fight stick out way more and makes her moment feel less earned.

There was discussion about the flower earlier and my tip for that is to make sure to give one to elderbug first.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Over There posted:

I'm assuming because he gives you half of one of the final items. They wanted him to be more of a challenge.

I mean they obviously did it to make it more of a challenge but I’m saying that wasn’t needed for his fight and it hurts cloths moment.

And before someone attempts the argument, I’ve beaten nkg and path of pain so I don’t need to hear about it me not being good enough. I feel qualified to say traitor lords double damage is overturned for its place in the game. It’s not a fight that should be roughly on par with dream fights in difficulty imo.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Now the radiance I will defend. Two damage just “feels” right both for being the true final boss and for being an ancient powerful being/ a forgotten god.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
When I cleaned up the hunters journal, the most inconvenient places to get to were the failed tramway in deepnest and mantis village. I don’t recall anything else being bad considering it was always one way travel since I would leave the area via dream gate to a stag station. How inconvenient you think it is depends on whether you think, say, going from King’s station to dung defenders hideout or the colosseum is inconvenient or not. It’s like three screens.

Also pro-tip: put on sprint and dash master, you move sooo much faster.

Other pro-tip: if anyone is going to completely fill the journal, kill leaping husks before the infection. It was annoying to grind kills of them after that because they are no group spawns of them and I had to kill and bench reset like 12 times, nothing else was that extreme.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Literally no one accidentally leaves zote to die on a first playthrough.

The NKG thing is silly. Their heart is in the right place to have a way for people to finish the quest without beating a super boss, but it should be reversible of something. Or maybe gave you a charm that only worked in the fight that served as an optional handicap.

E: ^^^ There’s no reason to know banishing will skip a boss. Nothing else in the game does.

They obviously overlap but it’s self evident the alternate quest condition was at least in part to make beating a boss that’s harder than the radiance not necessary to complete the dlc content, or a file.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 6, 2018

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I definitely did not mean for Zote to die in my playthrough, I saved him once from some spiders or w/e so I dunno what happened

He’s not dead. You can’t really have zote die without intentionally doing it. You’re saying you saved him in deepnest but he didn’t spawn in the arena?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

If true then something wonky happened to my game save and this whole time I've been thinking, man its way too easy to let zote die

Go to the spot in deepnest. If he’s there save them. If he’s not you already saved him. Then go to the arena and finish the quest. He isn’t dead unless you literally have a glitch in your file.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Banishing something... Makes it go away? :thunk:

Make a boss go away? You’re saying that from hindsight. It could easily lead to another boss, the same boss, or both routes have no bosses. Literally nothing else in the game can miss “content” in the sense of a boss.

At some point, the people saying stuff like you can only deliberately miss NKG are just being obtuse because there are literally posts of people doing it unintentionally on every forum from here to reddit to reset era.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I don’t care if people don’t like the white palace compared to the other parts of the game but every now and then you get posts claiming it is badly designed and that is so ludicrous. Like, I play platformers like Celeste and Super Meat Boy and White Palace is clearly well designed platforming. Even if you don’t want that in the game, it’s crazy to assert it isn’t well-made platforming. It also has a crazy amount of shortcuts you can take by pogo bouncing off stuff, which is cool.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Imo people who complain about the white palace are LOSERS who can't even beat video games by sitting in a starbucks for 6 hours until your girlfriend gets off work like I did

I honestly can’t believe that’s what you took away from my post. Did you misquote me for someone else who was actually making a ‘get gud’ type argument?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

The true final boss is so frustratingly difficult I am taking a couple days off from playing this game. I was very close to throwing my Switch at the wall. It’s like the most perfectly infuriating combination of projectiles and spikes with a bullshit flying boss who teleports.

Focus completely on dodging until you have it down and only then try to work in hits. Don't bother with healing.

Equip shaman stone. When you beat hollow knight your health will refill, but try to make sure you have a bunch of soul. When the fight starts, spam some abyss shrieks immediately to get a strong start before her attacks even begin. When the second (third?) phase starts, wait for a spawn that puts her over a platform and then spam abyss shriek or upward nails while standing directly under her. If the spawn is in a different position, just focus completely on dodging and wait for a spawn that will let you shred the health in one or two bursts.

If you haven't got all the health and nail upgrades, now is the time to get them.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

cosmin posted:

I mostly play with my sound off so it's like hard mode (imagine finding Cornifer, boss fights etc). I do turn it on for boss fights where I struggle as I think it helps me subconsciously with some audio cues

I know i'm missing on a lot, but I don't use headphones so that I can hear my baby crying or my wife yelling :)

Everyone has their own lives to live, but it is an absolute travesty to play hollow knight without sound. It is such a strong point for the game and not just because of missing things from audio cues either...

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Why would the new mode be a boss rush when they literally added a boss rush within the game itself? What would the point be?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Watch the E3 video they did showing it off. It should be easily searchable.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
You’d find zotes if you’re regularly checking the diary text changes anyways. White defender is for practical purposes impossible to find without third party assistance. I’m not sure why they didn’t have the floor shake after he makes the move down there.

Some other things are basically impossible to know on your own, like path of pain or the ability to give the flower to menderbug or the shrine of believers but those feel Easter-eggy in a way it makes more sense to me.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
RIP Gods & Glory name. All hail our mobile freemium gaming overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I keep on butting my head up against the Traitor Lord in Queen's Garden. I keep butting my head up against it, but I keep getting wrecked. I can't dodge all the hits, and it's next to impossible to find a gap big enough to heal all of it, and the run up to the boss is the longest I've seen yet, it's driving me nuts. I also haven't had any luck against the dream warrior in the area either. There's not even really a good opportunity to use magic without getting hit.

You say that, but now that I've got the Grimm Troupe out, I can't stop remembering the 2000 Geo that I lost at the very beginning. There's some pricy things with them.

There’s easily enough money in the game (with no grinding) to get everything in the game but either one or two of the three unbreakable charms if you’ve only ever lost 2000.

For the boss, make a build that is blue health or similar so you have more leeway, just use soul to do spell damage whenever. Don’t try to heal and focus only dodging until you have the patterns down and then work in the hits. The charm that does damage during the dash can be useful. I’ve heard of a cheese strategy of camping in the upper right corner and having the minion charms chip it away but haven’t tried it. Set up a dream gate outside so retries are quick.