Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I got every achievement for this game and had a real good time doing it. 10/10 looking forward to the next expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

you're a monster for leaving Zote to die

Get this: I also killed the blacksmith.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

No Wave posted:

I subscribe to my headcanon of the king somehow being the hollow knight because he couldn't bear sealing his perfect creation, the protag (and he was arrogant enough to think he could do it). It would make the last scene where the HK helps out the protagonist more gratifying and it would make the Pale King sadder and a better but obviously flawed dude, completing his arc by redeeming himself and doing what he couldn't before (allowing his vessel to perform its task). It would also be a repetition of the kingsoul becoming the void heart. As is, the other HK helping you doesn't mean all that much, he's nobody.

It would also explain the regal air someone says you possess because you were the one who spent time with the king, and it would explain why the radiance seems pale king themed in general (you're in his head). But in the PoP scene we see that vessel had slightly different ears, and it doesn't explain the flashback of the king walking away with a different vessel in the abyss(unless that vessel was you and you were seeing through the perspective of a failed vessel, which again I like) so it's a no-go in terms of actually happening.

On the other hand, you see the hollow knight and the pale king standing side by side. Twice.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i like the bit where you jump over spikes and hit a jellyfish with your sword

I like the part where the one mask dude comes running in and cuts the jellyfish apart with the katana while screaming fake japanese. Then you look at a lake with him.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

the list of things you need to just beat it are, I think, Vengeful Spirit, Mothwing Cloak, Dream Nail, and... Crystal Dash? I think maybe you can do things a long way without Crystal Dash.

You need either Crystal Dash or Isma's Tear to kill Monomon. You don't need Mothwing cloak: the only time that comes close is while climbing up to Lurien, but you can pogo off of a vase jussst right and skip it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

That's Monarch Wings. Mothwing is the Dash from Hornet 1

So it is.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Also am I the only one who was disappointed that Herrah wasn't a boss fight? I'm guessing that the rest of them are like that (she was the first Dreamer I took down), and there's probably story justification for it, but I was all pysched up for a battle that never came.

The other two dreamers both have boss fights immediately preceding them but yeah, you don't actually fight the dreamers. I get why they did it narratively, but I too, was dissapointed.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Oh well then I have something to look forward to. But I think I know what one of those fights will be and I'm super not looking forward to it.

Also, is there an upgraded version of the upward magic attack?

Yep.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Hmmm...I have no idea where that could be, if it's not in the one little part of the map that I have yet to visit. Time to explore!

General location spoiler: It's at the very bottom of the map; it's behind a gate you may not be able to open yet.
Much more detailed instructions spoiler: After fighting the boss of the Kingdom's Edge, you'll be able to go into The Abyss, underneath the Ancient Basin. It's in a creepy room at the bottom left, do the ability in that room and you get the upgrade.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Also: a whole bunch of enemies on the flower-path don't respawn, so as long as you don't rest between attempts / kill them all out before hand it's really easy except for like one tricky jump right at the end.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I'd pay money for a Path of Pain 2 dlc

It is called Super Meat Boy and it's on steam and you can even buy it!!!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Counterpoint, this part of the game is optional

Optional things can be good, or bad, or fitting, or misplaced.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

White Palace down :toot: That was alright I guess, the worst part was some very stingy respawn points for certain portions. I also got confused at the end and almost walked out without the reward.

Now that I have that reward and its counterpart...I don't know where to go next :sweatdrop: I had one idea of what to do next (using the Dream Nail on the fountain in the Abyss) but that wants me to do something else first. I think I once heard someone say that the Fungal Core area is important near the very end of the game but I have no idea how you would figure that out in-game, unless I'm not supposed to go there just yet. Time to explore some more!

Spoilers for what to do next with what you have to get closer to the final ending:

There's a new path at the bottom of the Abyss.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

For the 20 hour 100%/steel souls 100% achievements, that's any 100%, correct? Like now that the total is 106 i can skip a few things like the trial of fools?

Yep.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I see 2 missing percent on your Steel Soul save.

Go do the Trial of the Fool you slacker.

I have 105% on one of my saves because I gave Divine one of my charms without realizing I didn't have enough to buy it back :/

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Finally did the flower quest and beat the true final boss :toot: Good thing I got that last Mask Shard too, I did the very last segment of the boss on 1 health and no Soul for healing. Now onto the DLC...

When I went into the final boss I had 146/147 in my Hunter's Journal, and now after beating it I have 147/148. I haven't done any of the Hidden Dreams bosses, I started but didn't finish the Grimm Troupe questline, and have no idea what the Lifeblood update added to the game other than Hive Knight (which I did beat). Any idea what journal entry I could be missing?

Could be a whole bunch of stuff. The first one that comes to mind is the greedy hollow bug who's hiding in the city of tears. There's two corpses of the invincible enemies to be found in the world that it could be. There's a Steam guide that has a complete bestiary, compare yourself with it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

They can attack up, though, and they're not vulnerable when they're rolling.

The problem I'm having is more how to not take damage from them, especially when they're bouncing.

Don't be where they're going to land.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Seriously though, the bounce attack is pretty predictable. How far they bounce is based on where you are relative to them, and since you're only ever going to be "near or far" essentially, you only need to figure out the two right positions to stand in. After that it's just a matter of deciding whether or not they're going to bounce or charge when you see them spin up.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

They can attack up, though, and they're not vulnerable when they're rolling.

Also, I'm pretty sure that they were patched to be vulnerable to spells while rolling.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
goons freakin' out because a boss has two forms.... smdh you guys never play a final fantasy or somethin'?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kalsco posted:

No go it seems. Place is empty, as usual. A while ago I did recall seeing like two bugs chilling out, not saying anything. Did that have to do anything with this, somehow? If not I'll just check back later. Thanks tho.

There's more than one hot spring in the game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rookersh posted:

As someone who always waits till all the DLC is out before he plays something ( because I don't tend to come back to poo poo, and want to play it all at once. ) someone sell me on playing this now before Gods and Glory comes out?

the True Gaming Experience is to get on the ground floor so you can experience the game at each iterative stage-- don't miss out before it's too late!!!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Hell yeah, time to start bugging my Switch-having brother to pick this one up.

Also maybe time to take another crack at beating any of the DLC content on PC :negative:

Nightmare King Grimm is easily the best boss fight in the game, you're doing yourself a disservice avoiding it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You just forgot where the entrance was, nothing special about this.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sock The Great posted:

What the gently caress the banker disappeared.

These are my favourite posts.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Ok, so I spoiled myself on on it, so I knew to at least try something, but how are you supposed to know how to get the Void Shriek ability?

I managed to figure it out myself, this was my thought process: It was a weird room and I was past the point in the game where I'm getting new movement abilities and stuff, so I figured it was a puzzle. I dreamnailed the pedestal and it says something about voices. I realize that the statues in the room look like the faces that get made when you cast the spell, so I cast the spell, and was then disappointed I only got a new spell..

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
lol if you ever throw your money into a fountain in a video game. either it's a joke and you wont' get anything, or you need an absurdly high amount to get something!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Feenix posted:

Thanks. In doing this, will I come back around to map guy? I know where he is, but when I approach from the west to his map, there is a dark shadow wall.

You aren't getting the map for Fog Canyon for a long time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Rage-deleted this game just now. Just spent a half hour repeatedly dying and losing all my geo to the Massive Moss Charger in Greenpath, of all things. It only has two moves, and I simply don't have the reaction speed to deal with them. I don't know who decided it needed to have as much HP as it has, especially when it's so loving hard to hit the thing without getting creamed, but they're a goddamn rear end in a top hat.

Are there a lot of other bosses with timing challenges as tight as that one? Probably for the best if I quit now, I guess. I want to like this game so much. :(

Yeah, that guy is definitely one of the easier bosses. Probably best for you to just watch a Let's Play.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So to fully awaken the Dream Nail, I'm going to have to beat the Dream Versions of the bosses huh?

Not looking forward to that, and yet I really want to see the Palace.

Also is the delicate flower quest as frustrating as it looks? I'm not even sure where that grave she wants me to go to is located.

It's in the other side of the map, in the queens gardens.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mister No posted:

e: Game has a weird way of bumming me out. Forgotten Crossroads are less forgotten now, but my little mining buddy on the way to the crystal saves is either replace or turned hostile. :(

It's the latter.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dancer posted:

"What, you can hit those things?!?" - Dancer, on their 6th play-through of Hollow Knight

Holy poo poo. How did you beat her?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mister No posted:

I just wanna double check, is there an actual boss in the beast's den? The whole place was a maze and I wanna make sure I didn't miss anything before I gtfo and never go back.

Nope! You're done!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Over There posted:

Do we ever find out what the beast is?

He's a guy who lives in a cave and kills stuff, what more is there to know?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dancer posted:

Can't go there without beating Traitor Lord.

Yeah, you can.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Dumb question: do you get anything for maxing out your bank account? I’m thinking of Majora’s Mask where you get a piece of heart for depositing 5000 rupees.

Yes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

How do you beat Ummuruu if you don't trigger your buddy to show up? Or does he always just show up regardless of what you do? Didn't seem like I could damage it without the other guy softening him up

Latter, Quirrel has your back.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mister No posted:

Gathering this essence is taking forever and is annoying. Considering just cheat engine-ing the last couple hundred.

You get more than enough for everything just by killing all the dream ghosts and bosses.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Zote stole my chick!
:argh:

And his dream kicked my rear end...

:negative:

Beat the poo poo out of him right out of her subconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Hey everybody who told me to put money in the bank? Each of you can go gently caress yourself!

Luckily I read that they go to the pleasure spa with your money so I wasn’t actually mad. Pretty great rate of return on that!

Arrhythmia posted:

These are my favourite posts.

:blastu: