Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Do you still have to downgrade your version of HK to use the randomizer? I'd like to try it but that part is putting me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Hobojim posted:

You do, but on steam it's super easy to do. Just go into betas in the steam menu and pick 1.4.1.2, it takes about three seconds. The mod installer for hollow knight makes the rest of it absurdly easy too, easiest game to mod I've come across.

Thanks! I was practicing him on ascended difficulty in the hall of gods and couldn't quite get it done, but in the actual fight I got some really lucky spawns on the platform section so it went quick. I only took one hit during the pantheon fight, aside from two lucky carefree melody activations. I guess it would have been closer without that.

Thanks, I'll try this out then! Doing the speedrun and steel soul achievements I realized that I'd rather replay the game trying out weird new routes than grind at the pantheons until I can beat Sage and above so this type of challenge sounds more like my jam.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

There were a few NPC teases last year plus a magazine article just this past January but nothing since then, I think.

Hobojim posted:

Quick correction: It's 1.4.3.2, but it's the only numbered entry in the beta list so pretty easy to figure out.

Good luck! Unless you know where everything is in the game I heavily recommend the rando map mod (listed in the mod installer), which lets you talk to Elderbug 3 times to get all of the maps and wayward compass to start, and the maps show where items that you can access with your current items are. The only downside is that if you accidentally pick up collector's map, it's easy to get confused about what are actual items you can get and what are grubs shown from the collector's map, which never seem to disappear.

Yeah, I went with that one and everything seems fine. Quick trip report: I got an early Dash, Isma's Tear and Lunafly (great!) but no Mantis Claws, DD or City Crest (uh-oh!) so I'm trying to force my way through Queen's Gardens and into Deepnest, with the base nail and no walljump, in search of a way to get into the City of Tears. There's way more places you can't get out of (or that you can't get into) without Mantis Claw than I expected and the lack of Compass + unability to reach Cornifer in QG is really testing my navigational abilities, it feels very close to a first playthrough.

Randomizer owns.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Hornet Night skin is the cutest and I don't think I can go back after trying it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Randomizer trip update: So if anyone was wondering whether deepnest was possible without the mantis claw... It isn't. Like straight up you cannot advance without it. You can't even make it to the hot spring. I got lucky and found the city crest at the rear end end of QG where the love key usually is so I could access the city that way. There I found more movement abilities and the game more or less proceeded as normal from there. Shortly after that point I got both halves of the Kingsoul early plus Grubberfly's Elegy so played the rest of the game in lightsaber mode which is something that wouldn't really happen normally since you get both of those charms so late in the game and one gets replaced like five minutes after you get it anyway. It's a lot less powerful against bosses than other builds but that was part of the charm.

Finished the game with like 80% completion. Randomizer was pretty fun and I recommend it to anyone who wants to re-experience HK through a different lens than normal.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 15, 2021

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I didn't respect Dreamshield until trying it out against NKG and the free hits really racked up. It's a good charm.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Unbreakable Strength, Mark of Pride, Grimmchild, Dreamshield. YMMV on Mark of Pride, I am too used to always having it on so that's 3 extra notches if you think you can do away with it or 1 if you're ok with just the Long Nail.

The best windows for attack are the firebats and firepillars. You can walk under the first bat, jump over the second, then dash through the 3rd/4th to get your licks in and during the firepillars you can sloowly take baby steps below him while slashing up a bunch of times. This second tactic can backfire if he does the "teleports behind u" trick and corners you against the wall though, especially if he skitters away before the uppercut and negates your shadow cloak. That part of the fight always felt like RNG to me, since the best way to dodge the uppercut is to dash away from him and you can't do that if you're cornered.

I also did it over a period of several days taking a break for the day after 15-30 mins if it started to feel like I was tilting.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 18, 2021

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Sharp Shadow is amazing but it lengthens your dash and I keep running into projectiles or falling off platforms when I put it on. If you can get used to it, it's great.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Metroidvanias are sandwiches.

Zelda is a hot dog.

Devil May Cry is a pizza.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It crosses the line of reaction speed that I can handle in videogames so it doesn't really feel fair to me.

It is, however, very cool and that moment when you hear the music change for the first time because in all your tries you never lasted this long before is really something special.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

barclayed posted:

Sorry to revive an older thread but... finally beat the HK fight on the first ending, and I'm now working to finish up the Hornet quest, starting with Traitor Lord.. Trial of the Conqueror is kicking my rear end right now!

Don't apologize, I was going to revive it to talk about my new favorite charm anyway. Speaking of which, have you tried Weaversong, if you have it? That helped me a lot to keep my health up during trials 2 and 3.

(Late gameplay spoilers below)

First, a bit of context: I've reinstalled Hollow Knight for the fifth time to try and beat P3, P4 and P5 plus PoP which were my last big goals left. I figured I'd start a new playthrough, this time using Sharp Shadow as soon as I can grab it, to get used to the new dash distance (I couldn't acclimate to the new distance in the past so avoided using it against NKG, which probably made that fight harder than it needed to be).

SS helped a bit with Sly, but only for his phase 1. Trying to attack him would get me hit and blasting his phase 2 with spells to death just wasn't realistic. So I started trying other charm setups that would expose me less or let me use spells more. And, well, Weaversong does both.

The Weaversong damage is not much, but it does add up over time, especially against bosses with short windows of opportunity for attack (Sly, PV, NKG). Moreover, when combined with Grubsong the spiderlings give you a ton of soul. Because you don't need to put yourself at risk to leech soul out of enemies, it's much easier to find healing windows, and if you're not getting hit (or don't find said healing windows) you can make the fight go faster by throwing spells at the boss. It's a lot like Kingsoul, but at a fraction of the price, and it does damage on its own as a bonus.

It also creates some funny moments. Sometimes you'll hear one of the Watcher Knights scream and die offscreen, or NKG will teleport next to you and get immediately dogpiled into a stagger, or Failed Champion will leap over you but topple over in the middle of the air. The incidental comedy may not be a selling point, but it definitely enhances the experience.

Thanks to Weaversong I bulldozed all over P3 as well as Sly himself. The combination of Sharp Shadow, Grubsong and Weaversong lets me do a ton of damage with minimum exposure and keeps me consistently near-topped with soul throughout the whole pantheon. It worked so well, that I decided I'd stick with my new best spider friends and see how far they'd carry me.

Allow me to sound like an infomercial for a moment: Before I used Weaversong, beating NKG took me 2-3 weeks of practice. Now that I'm using Weaversong, beating PV took me 5 days. Today, just one week later, I've defeated both of them on Ascended difficulty. I've practiced beating the entirety of P5 enough that I feel confident enough to reach AR. I've seen enough of her to know she is going to be a nightmare, but hey, one step at a time.

This game is hard as hell but it does give you tools to overcome it. I don't have good reflexes, nor do I pogo jump all that well (this post is long enough already without me going into my Path of Pain story, I can go into that some other time), but I've still managed to get all the way here, by using a charm that's generally considered to be middle of the pack or even subpar because it suits my playstyle. If that isn't an indicator of amazing game design, I don't know what is.

tl;dr Friendship ended with Quick Slash, now Weaversong is my best friend.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

there's like two specific situations where i would say going for nail arts is a strict improvement over regular strikes and the airborne parts of the trials are one of them, but if you can get used to pulling them off regularly that charm is a lot of value for just 1 notch

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

crystal guardian 2 is the closest the game gets to a pure reaction time test and it can be incredibly easy or hard based on that, which is why i hate that boss

But marmu tho

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What's interesting about Crystal and Enraged Guardians is that, while the fights are similar, they happen in different contexts.

Both CG and EG have comparatively low HP and stay still a lot, so they can be damage raced easier than other bosses. CG has the occassional heal window too, so as long as you have a semi-decent charm setup, +1 mask and at least a +1 nail he shouldn't take many tries. If you attempt EG immediately as soon as he's available, he'll punish you for it. EG takes your comfort of knowing you can get by playing semi-okay and punishes you for trying to trying to coast by with double damage for every mistake made. This makes the boss feel much harder than it actually is, especially because it's probably the first double damage boss you'll face so it'll seem particularly unfair.

The reason I disagree with calling EG a reaction speed test is that you don't need reflexes to beat him. You just need to stay still in front of that husk, slash away, and jump up when he tries to laser you horizontally. You might get hit by vertical lasers and him jumping on top of you, but it's less than the damage you'll take if you panic and run all over the arena trying to not get hit at all.

Even so, they're two optional bosses in a remote corner of the map, in an area without a stag station, the second of which cannot be attempted on your first run through the area because it needs double jump, and double jump needs CDash that the area gives you itself. If you explore Kingdom's Edge before going back to Crystal Peak you can get Quick Slash and a +3 nail (the +4 would require you to climb to the top of Crystal Peak, alas) before you fight him. At that point EG becomes as easy to race as CG. Even if you're not that bulked up, you still should have better charms and abilities to help make the fight easier (double jump is really good for dodging both vertical and horizontal lasers at once with minimal movement, for example).

Now Marmu, that spinny fucker is a reaction speed test. I couldn't reliable kill her until I had at least a hundred hours in the game. She no longer kills me, but she legitimately took me longer to learn than PV.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 11, 2022

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

guppy posted:

Crystal Guardian is an issue not because it's an especially difficult fight, but because -- unlike nearly every other fight in the game -- he's guarding the only bench in the area. And a. it's a surprise fight, and if you fight him and lose you b. lose a lot of progress and c. have to fight your way all the way back before you can try again, which is both frustrating and makes it harder to get practice. I don't find Enraged Guardian all that difficult, because he's just the same moveset but faster, so if you've learned the original moveset, you just have to step up your execution. And the bench is right there now, so if you lose it's no big deal.

We don't need to spoiler tag a game that's been out this long, right?

There's a bench below him, in the dark rooms. If you take the lower route and follow the path of the conveyor belts you'll find that bench long before you run into the Crystal Guardian. CG and his bench aren't even in the required path to reach CDash.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Serephina posted:

It's probably a great credit to the game (and specifically whoever designed the boss fights) how everyone has a different nemesis fight.

It's super interesting. A lot of thought must've gone into all the bosses to make sure they test so many specific different skills, including where to place them and whether they're in the critical path or optional. It's the spirit warriors who make it the most obvious IMO (notice that, in addition to all of them having a single method of attack*, they're all optional so you don't have to pass the test if you really struggle with it), but it's also easy to spot in bosses like the traitor lord testing your use of shadow dash, to the point that IIRC they added his rage shockwave attack in a patch to make sure that skill does get tested. I imagine some of it is luck and/or the inevitable result of having 20+ unique bosses (plus a bunch of repeats), but I'd love to hear the logic behind their design.

edit: *okay there's some exceptions in Elder Hu, Markoth and Galien having 2 attacks, but they don't diverge significantly enough to affect the point.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 15, 2022

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

No kidding. My Weaversong strat worked all the way to that point, but specifically Markoth into Zote just frustrated me immensely. They're two of the more random bosses that sometimes just hit you with nothing you can do about it while also pressuring you so that you can't disengage and heal. I can deal with them individually on Ascended but sequentially they ended a million runs. At first I thought the benches next to the healing springs were redundant but the flexibility they offer is super useful.

Meaty Ore posted:

Finally managed to beat NKG. The only thing left for me to do is Pantheon of Hollownest. Between NKG, Pure Vessel, and Absolute Radiance, though, I'm not sure I can manage it. I'm not liking the looks of Uumuu or Markoth in that pantheon, either.

You can do it! I'm a terrible player and Pantheons 3-5 took me so long they basically doubled my playtime, but I did them even if I suspect it was pure muscle memory by the end.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Welcome to Godhome.

DON'T FORGET, YOU'RE HERE FOREVER.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, I can beat NKG hitless on a good day, but I still don't like him and never will. This is partly because he leaves little room for personal expression in gameplay and partly because he marks the point where the game crosses the line from being a fun adventure to redoing the same fight over and over building up muscle memory to beat whatever twitch reflex bullshit challenge the game puts in front of you next.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

In my "happy Elderbug" save file I made a few years ago I killed Zote, banished the Troupe, gave Elderbug the Pale Flower and got Ending C. You should see how happy the old man is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dare I hope that this releases at least one month before Shadow of the Erdtree does?

TheMadMilkman posted:

Which one is ending C?

Dream no More, aka killing the Radiance (no Pantheons).

DontMockMySmock posted:

Canonically, Elderbug is one of the youngest bugs you meet in the game, as he says the collapse of Hallownest was before he was born, but pretty much every other named bug in the game is confirmed to have been alive either before the Black Egg was sealed or witnessed the subsequent collapse (with a couple notable exceptions of bugs whose age isn't well-known, e.g. Myla, Zote, Willoh). Even bugs that seem young, like Hornet, are confirmed as older than Elderbug. I don't think he's even the oldest bug living in Dirtmouth, as I'm pretty sure that Sly and the Nailmasters were around in Hallownest's heyday.

I know. He introduces himself as Elderbug and I respect his identity.