Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I finished this game today.

Good lord, I can't believe how I kept myself from playing it until I got the Switch port, and even then delaying it a little further for other game priorities. I was enthralled from day one, and it never left my mind when I was not playing it. The dark aesthetic matched with the cute critters was so easy to fall in love with. I am also a total sucker for metroidvania-style gameplay, and this game kept on expanding and getting bigger and bigger - I never knew just how much there was until I did eventually start looking stuff up - I really wanted to 100% the game before I finished it. Was totally worth it for those few obscure secrets you'd never need to find otherwise.

I could probably say more but I think I need more time to collect my thoughts. Incredibly good game, probably going to sneak its way onto my top five games of all time. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to read the thread from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Nosk got me a few times but he wasn't too hard. But I was going into a lot of bosses I had missed out on with Unbreakable Strength, so I think I had an easier time than most. I mean, it only took me three tries to beat The Radiance. I imagine that was mostly due to how dedicated I was to completing the game, and it could easily be harder with less upgrades.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The Mantis Lords were the first boss I felt like I truly UNDERSTOOD. I guess in other words it's where the combat clicked. It's a really fun boss fight and I did it without any power upgrades. I can't believe that I went in such a roundabout way after having caught up with all the better paths people talked about, but I guess my frame of reference was "If I go to the part of the map that has a distinct icon on it, I'll fight the story boss, and I don't want to progress with the story". Little did I know that it was the proper way into the City of Tears.

I ended up entering the city for the first time from the Ancient Basin path above the tramway.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

:same: But at the same time I sort of felt bad about consuming essence so I was a hoarder - as usual.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I banished NKG because it seemed like the morally correct choice. If I want to run my butt into an incredibly hard boss I can always do a replay. (2 playthroughs at least are still necessary anyways.)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

Eh, the kingdom is dead anyway, who cares if the troupe gets to dance a bit in the ruins.

I bet you killed the nailsmith too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

For other endings, dream essence is the way to go. I'll say no more.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

As someone who is generally very respectful and easy to please, I found the White Palace to be oddly challenging. I don't think it's out of place, but I didn't really have fun going through it, nor do I have any interest in re-exploring the Path of Pain.

I will also say that the Trial of the Fool maybe took me three or four tries, so maybe I'm just really good at fighting compared to platforming.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Good news, the 3D remake of Secret of Mana goes to great lengths to ensure the Sprite is not gendered deliberately. They're referred to with pronouns like the one at the beginning of this sentence regularly in the party's fireside chats and other situations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Every thing you sell has different dialogue up to a point so I don't think they would let you sell in bulk.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I haven't tried the new content yet but my initial reaction echoes the sentiments of the more complain-y people here. I don't think that hiding half a dozen or more significant bosses that would likely be fun to fight in their own right behind a boss rush is a good thing. But they've already leaned in that direction with the Zote and White Defender stuff allowing refights and getting harder as you go and all. It's not a surprising development for me. But I probably won't be dropping my current playthrough of Xenoblade 2 to rush towards this new content, in my opinion.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Nothing in this game is mandatory. That's the essence of Metroidvania. I do what I think I'll enjoy and I don't do what I think I won't, and I think that's wise words to live by.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

I'm pretty sure the ending is that you're such a disgusting monster, with such an insatiable lust for killing, that you're never going to stop. You've killed the Radiance, you've killed Hollow Nest, you've killed the flowers, the roots, the lights, everything, now you're coming for Hornet, and soon, everyone else

I didn't realize we were playing No Mercy Undertale this whole time

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Confirm or deny something for me fellas. Are the bosses in Hollow Knight in general harder on Switch compared to PC? I've heard this from a few friends that there are additional phases and attacks for some and since I have no personal frame of reference, having only played on Switch, I'd like to know for sure.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

They specifically called out Hornet having an additional phase, which I never heard anything about.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

For above:

1) There are enough keys for every lock in the game. No need to hoard them.

2) It's an optional fight, winning it will give you a ton of Essence. There's other fights like it as well. Seek them out if you want to.

3) The power to do so is related to the King's Brand you got in question 7.

4) It's a hard area but you can mess around there any time. I actually liked that those surprise spiders took so many hits because it easily let me refill my magic to heal with. :shobon:

5) It's winnable but it's hard. It was added DLC content, so it was made for more experienced players in mind. (It also gets worse.)

6) If you care about the glory of being a fool, you can do it.

7) It's somewhere very deep and old in the kingdom...

8) It's not fixable.

9) The only "missable" thing is an ending you get if you fight the final boss before getting a certain thing. Otherwise this game is very, very good about not locking you out of anything.

10) It's up to preference, if you find something that works for you there's no need to change it!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I finally bothered to do the first two pantheons while showing off the game to my friends today. Beat them without too much trouble, even though I was a little rusty. I dunno when I'll bother to do the rest though, if at all.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

In terms of attack pushback, that didn't really bother me because so often you can only get in one or two good swings before you have to start moving and getting evasive again for the hardest battles. As for short invulnerability, eh... just seemed like part of their strat to make things tough and tumble. The entire experience was so cohesive and tight that things like these didn't really bother me whatsoever. But I also don't have much use for the pantheons, as while I like the combat I don't like it enough to fight bosses that take several tries to beat your first time perfectly.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

There are a couple other ways in, but one is really out of the way and the other requires going through...

Deepnest.

I'm one of those "recommended path? nah man" people, so I took quite an early trip through Deepnest and ended up getting to the City of Tears SUPER late. Do I regret it? A little. Was it still cool? Absolutely.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Celebratory art for the game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

https://twitter.com/Fangamer/status/1105485816791367680

https://twitter.com/Fangamer/status/1105526431637893120

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Bogart posted:

e: shout out to the rp account that responded to the tweet

They've only existed for three days and have already said a swear, not very true to the character :ohdear:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Original is on sale for half price on Switch if anyone hasn't snapped it up yet.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Peanut! posted:

- Plot is a bit too vague. I get that it's standard Souls fare with a ruined ancient kingdom, some kind of curse, and a nameless PC, but more context would be nice. What is my goal?
- Are there any questlines I can lock myself out of unintentionally? I met a dude near a lake who didn't introduce himself so I bet that I missed a trigger somewhere.

It's going to take a long time for you to figure that out, but the world carries itself well until then. As for locked out questlines, there are some that have multiple options, but otherwise you can't miss out on getting A Reward. The only thing that people might get upset about is regarding the ending. To spare any spoilers, once the final boss is open to you, if you don't want to miss ANYTHING you should just go and fight it right away before you find a certain significant item that changes the ending.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

The funny thing is that the fakeout is telegraphed by the lack of a hunter's journal update and lack of a victory fanfare, but you're so elated at your "victory" that it doesn't register and then oops you're getting repeatedly bodyslammed into the dust.

It's brilliant and I love it.

Lol I didn't get the Hunter's Journal until 80% through the game because I was scared of the six-eyed monster in the creepy cave :ohdear:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I like to eat the rich in City of Tears, usually. :911:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

That boss is pretty tough but I think appropriately so, like you said you have to go through a lot of stuff to be able to fight it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I finally got my Wanderer's Journal from Fangamer! It looks slick, haven't opened it up yet but I'm really looking forward to all the art contained within. Even came with a nice little Kingsoul sticker I can put somewhere in my life.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I BEAT NIGHTMARE KING FINALLY. I've been just slamming my face into him in the Hall of Gods to make up for my banishing of the troupe, and after an hour or two of work I managed to finally learn his patterns to the point where I was able to secure the victory. I honestly thought I would never be able to do it. After that, some more work got me through Pantheon 3, which unlocked Godseeker, which lets me finally do Sisters of Battle!... and some other bosses I guess. But Sisters of Battle is the one I cared about the most. I love them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

No Wave posted:

Godseeker also unlocks bosses in the pantheon that you haven't seen yet and won't ever see unless you beat pantheon 4 and do most of pantheon 5.

There's one boss left in the game that even godseeker won't put in the pantheon by default and you have to get to the very very end of pantheon 5 to see it.

Yeah I'm yawning at the superboss still being locked away even in Godseeker but what the heck ever, I did everything else and I'm fine with never beating pantheons 4 and 5 because I proved I could beat each boss on my own merits.

https://twitter.com/Alxprit/status/1160382945569280001

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Nephzinho posted:

I wish my brain knew how to pick arbitrary points and define them as "enough", but its broke hard.

I tend to have a broke brain too, but I can only take so much. Basically my thought process was, I spent hours upon hours learning how to fight NKG. (And Pure Vessel, to an extent - but getting used to Nightmare made him take a lot less time.) And I think to myself, the final challenge of this game not only involves beating him, but beating every other boss, in slightly harder configurations no less, without ever dying. Some bosses are easy. Some bosses are not easy. Sometimes, you slip up, and make mistakes. People are human, this kind of stuff happens. So, I think to myself, do I really think that I would enjoy myself and have a good time running up against an hour-long gauntlet of bosses only to die to someone I know I can beat, but not consistently? Especially with the added stress of my brain yelling at me to not screw it up for the love of god, because if you do you'll have to spend another hour getting back? The answer is clear.

Godseeker is the worst DLC pack. I love the new bosses but I wish I could have just fought them, no frills attached. And while the mode provides most of that, it doesn't provide all of it, which gets me back to griping. There are tiny, small rewards for torturing yourself in every capacity. Radiant refights, bindings for pantheons, it's all so... it's a lot of content, but for the wrong reasons.

Sorry to go off.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Glare Seethe posted:

Pure Vessel is making me a bit angry (at myself, for being poo poo). Maybe don't dodge away from him when you need to dodge through him, idiot!!

I will eventually win though. I got him down far enough once to see some weird tendril attack, I'm guessing I was close then.

Pretty close, yeah. When you see that coming it somehow gets easier, you can just jump towards him and pogo for a while. But I definitely felt your pain regarding dodging the wrong way constantly, it goes against your natural tendencies after all. Maybe having Sharp Shadow active would incentivize it more? No idea.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Now that Gorb has slain you, you become the new Gorb.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

That image got me thinking - does Hornet actually have hands? Do they officially depict her having hands? She has to swing that needle around somehow, right? Is she just doing it with some silk or something? I never see her with hands except in fan art - including my own - so I never really questioned it deeply, but I feel like she must have them, and hiding them is just a Badass Thing she does...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I dunno why but I always got the sense that the dreamers and temple seal happened like, 30 years ago or something, like it wasn't super recent but not in Olden Times either. I am not really sure where I got that sense from though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

i just want silksong already so i can be the insanely cool character, hornet

hell,

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Hollow Knight is good because it has something for everyone, not bad because it has one thing that isn't for you specifically.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The White Palace frustrated me a lot even though I'm experienced with platformers and the like, there were some moments that just wrecked me and I didn't know the Strats to get through or have infinite health because I was living in a vacuum for fear of spoilers. But looking back on it I appreciate the challenge of it now that it's behind me, and it let me see some pretty cool stuff in the end so it was worth it I think.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

TheMadMilkman posted:

NKG is bar none the best fight in the game. Enjoy.

Ahem... Sisters of Battle, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

It's impossible to get every achievement on your first run anyway.