Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

• beat up the mantis lords
  • got into deepnest
  • got lost immediately
  • ran around in a panic until i found a tram ticket in an abandoned tram
  • went back and got the working tram
  • discovered that the tram didn't take me back to the crossroads like i thought it would
  • fled back to the tram, tried again
  • went to the next new location whereupon the tram got stuck
  • desperately ascended a big room full of flies,
  • found a way into the imperial waterways
  • broke into some noble bugwoman's house
  • realised i was back in the City of Tears
  • died within spitting distance of the lever that would have opened up the door next to the statue to the hollow knight :q:

i mean there's a bench in the tram so it wasn't that bad, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so the boss in the Tower of Love is, uh, disturbing

still, i get to see what happens when you collect all the grubs soon! they're really cute

i know exactly what happens to them :saddowns:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i wouldn't know :smug:

one more grub to go, and he's in the hive, somewhere...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah i figured it out after blazing left and right a few times in confusion. found him!

i really like the big shaggy bees and it's good that they go non-hostile with the hive trinket equipped

now i just gotta figure out how to get the second ending to this game

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

huh, i think i killed the final boss with the compass equipped as i forgot to take it off

what a great game!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don't get me wrong, i found the white palace jarring, and really fuckin' hard, but... the point of the awakened dream nail is to get into the most protected minds.

if you're in the king's dream via the kingmould (i.e. the mindless drone shaped from void and animated by the king), he's probably rather protective of what he's holding. so it does sort of make sense that he'd make the palace an almost impenetrable hellscape of spikes and saws

that said it really ought to have had more checkpoints, and also it should have ramped up slower. the instant you see your first buzzsaw it suddenly becomes super-hard

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

plot critical is a weird synonym for "optional bonus super-hard area for completionists of an already difficult game"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

autistic screeching

did you finish the white palace then

if so, it wasn't too hard

hurrah!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I always thought you were cracking into a heavily-fortified mind and it wasn't a literal interpretation of what the palace was like in reality

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man this Horrible Test For Assholes is really getting my goat

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mikojan posted:

I'm new to the genre and while I'm very much enjoying this game it is kicking my rear end brutally.

Just got wall jump and worked my way to Broodling Mawlek. This thing is the bane of my existence.

Could someone rate the difficulty of this guy out of 10 compared to the overal average boss in this game?

Just so I know how utterly hosed I am.

do you mind if i use fractions

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jam all the plus-damage charms into your notches until you are overcharmed, imo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

What is hidden dreams

The link gives no context. Is it DLC, a content update, a mod, or what?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

have you considered that the white palace is in fact good?

this checks out

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

personally i hated the slow progress i made, as i learned the correct sequence of moves for each section, gradually honing my skills until i could skip through sections that previously had caused me great difficulty

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

A good observation from the steam forums, about an answer to a lingering question.

Precept of Zote 56: Dreams
Dreams are dangerous things. Strange ideas, not your own, can worm their way into your mind. But if you resist those ideas, sickness will wrack your body! Best not to dream at all, like me.

so in other words he dreams a shitload

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Irony.or.Death posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but this game is way bigger than I was expecting it to be. This is, like, the third night in a row where I figured I'd just play a quick half hour or so to go check out one of the little crannies I'd passed by earlier/didn't have the ability I needed to reach and ended up falling into a giant pit or something and wandering through three new areas. Two hours later I have located a new station and returned to town with absolutely no progress made in the direction I thought I was going to be heading next.

i did exactly that when i found Deepnest for the first time

benchless.. and alone...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol you think they end

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i never met bretta and i finished the game

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but where does the dung all come from

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Highwang posted:

If memory serves, Dung Defender got exiled from the team because of his fascination with dung. This might explain why, he just made the White Palace brown.

no i mean in general. we don't see anything other than bugs in the game

unless... is it all from Bardoom?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

they're just bad at the game

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shovel knight got extraordinary amounts of good will and positive coverage by throwing out free content. presumably hollow knight is following a similar model, or perhaps the team simply refuse to be out-knighted

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

replaying the game

the new nosk is quite a bastard to kill, and i hate it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah there's no safe zones now, his acid spray can hit wherever

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

still is on the outward gallop, but he can dollop acid jizz on you in that position using two separate, quite quick moves

plus his return gallop can now hit you in that location

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ambivalent posted:

I know this is totally not your point but have you been to Cheesecake Factory, that place is really overpriced and every one I've been to, the music is played overly loud, and they have a large menu without anything actually being that great, and i guess the one thing they do decently is sell cheesecake, but on the whole, visiting one is not a great experience imo, so while you were suggesting that they need something that makes the Path of Pain look palatable, I would sort of take it the opposite way...

I just felt like I needed to say this, sorry, sorry everyone

It will be relevant for the sequel, Cheesecake Knight

Even the void can be filled with enough dense heavy claggy cakes

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

the reward should be Hollow Knight cheesecake.

the only hollow knight art there needs to be is of grubs, doing grub things

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the grubdiance

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i've nearly hit the white palace on my second playthrough and i've still not found the loving grimm troupe!!

i feel like i'm missing something obvious but then i missed the grey mourner entirely on my first playthrough so

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

OzFactor posted:

1) From someone earlier in this thread: save it until you are close to the end of the game (i.e. post White Palace) and use the Kingsoul to just nuke everything in your way at range. Sure, this requires you to wait until the Forgotten Crossroads gets infected, but I think that's so much better than trying to get through the last room in the Queen's Gardens without double-jumping (I'm pretty sure it's beating the Broken Vessel that triggers the infection).

isn't it because you kill something - any of them - that's holding it back, rather than killing an only moderately related boss?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he just sort of blinks. hollowknight wiki peeps have seen him since at least sept last year, he ain't new. good bugdog though

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

zote deserves death

it is only the fact that content is gated behind his survival which allows him to poison the earth with his continued presence

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

goddammit I gotta play through again

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i like the bit where you jump over spikes and hit a jellyfish with your sword

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

see, the pro move is to actually avoid touching the spikes, and instead, to not touch them

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bogart posted:

I'm going to kiss Quirrell and the elder and the singing mining bug and I'm going to cuck Cornifer and kiss his hot mantis wife.

ahh, bapa nada~

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

No Wave posted:

On WP, you enter via a dead soldier so I assume that it's somehow a shared dream between the soldiers and the pale king himself. I don't think the radiance is keeping you away from the kingsoul, I think it's the memories of the soldiers protecting their king.

kingsmoulds are constructs and presumably animated by the king somehow (rather than flopping lifelessly out of their mould), so it's possibly less of a shared memory and more straight-up "here's a conduit into the king's mind" or "the echoes the king left behind when he vanished" or whatever

also the buzzsaws were to service the burgeoning Hallownest lumber industry. why do you think only Zote can afford a sword made of shellwood???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Actually the White Palace and the Path of Pain are cool, good and fun

they're