Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:cry: OH GOD IM FIGHTING THE MANTIS LORDS :cry:

This game loving owns.
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

Learn the attack patterns, get ambitious. Start to rush down there in later playthroughs so you can wreck them for the items gained after.

Yeah that fight owned. Took about five deaths but I consistently got better at each attempt. Which sums up this game in a nutshell. :black101:

I can see why it’s popular to rush down here soon, wish I had that upgrade a lot sooner...
:allears:

I’m guessing that I should listen to the games warning about entering Tourian Deepnest until I’m ready?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Game is so loving massive, at least on a first trip through. I’m sure it starts to feel smaller on subsequent play throughs. Every time I think I’m close to the end, a whole new world unlocks to explore.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Frankston posted:

Is there an upgrade that lets you dash vertically? I've seen a bunch of places just slightly out of reach and I have no idea how else I'd access them.

There’s a double jump later on in the game. Google it’s location if you don’t care about such things.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I beat the flukemarm...

Only took me half a day...

:negative:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god, I now have three adorable cute little spiderbros following me!

:3:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s a pro tip. Dump all your money into the fountain not knowing what it’s for, that way you are broke and can’t afford to buy the area map that’s right nearby...

:argh:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh poo poo, finally got the double jump! Time for another massive backtracking expedition! Game owns so much.

:dance:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I just got to Watcher Knight...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Beat the watcher Knight and feeling like a boss. :smug:

I went for maximum speedy Gonzalez DPS with the nail charms and quick strike.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god...trial of the fool...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m giving up on the trial of the fool.

I’ll come back at the absolute end game when I have all my upgrades possible or whatever. Man, they must call it the trial of the fool because you are a fool for trying.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

No Wave posted:

That is in fact why they call it that. The plaque says that all you win is the honor of being a fool.

WTF

:saddowns:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I upgraded my nail to its final form...and then...I.....

:smith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:smith::h5::smith:

worst part is finding out you can optionally give him a happier ending

I knew I was a horrible monster...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve decided that City of Tears is my favorite zone in any 2D game. The atmosphere, ambience, backgrounds, effects, and music...it’s all sooo drat good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I beat hornet 2.0 (or is it 3.0?) at the kingdom’s edge after dying a ton. I tried to brute force it too much and could only do it when I was calm and collected. When I finally quit caring about striking her and just tried instead to dance with her, that’s when it clicked. I would just tap her occasionally as we jumped around the arena and eventually she went down.

God I feel like a boss!

:black101:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Trial of fools is a lot of fun. Although I haven't done the last one so I might be eating my words next time I play.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Was the bee hive always there from the start? Just feels like an optional area they patched in after the fact.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think I brute forced it with quick nail and just power spammed it or something.

Might’ve dodged a few times.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, I finally beat traitor lord using hiveblood and spiderbros! I let the spiderbros and my NPC ally do all the work while I just concentrated on dodging.

:smug:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god...white palace...this is where you learn to git gud at platforming...

:cry:

Would never attempt this poo poo without hiveblood that’s for sure.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Beat the White Palace and feeling like a boss.

:smug:

I may have to get Celeste. Been scared of getting that game but now I may find I enjoy it...

Of course I keep reading spoilers in here about something called the path of pain so I’m probably talking out my rear end. :downs: Oh well, I’ll cross that bridge spiky death trap bottomless pit when I get there...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zote stole my chick!
:argh:

And his dream kicked my rear end...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Been fighting against the path of pain for about a week now. Every day I get a little further.

Don’t know why I’m bothering with it, but I’m having a blast so that’s all that matters.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I imagine I'm in the later half of this game. I have kept myself in the dark about everything, but I'm curious - can I lock myself out of any content?

I think it’s possible to miss seeing the bad ending if you jump right into acquiring some of the last final end game items. I’d recommend trying to beat the last boss once you have access to do so just to see it. After the credits roll you can start your game on the bench outside the bosses room and go back to the world.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Are they gonna make a sequel or a spiritual sequel?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m about a week and a half into my attempt at the path of pain. Think I’m maybe 2/3 through...

Game owns though, I’m having a ball. I only get maybe an hour or so here and there to play. Feels so good when I finally beat a section though. This shits not for everyone...

:black101:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I still had the suicide flies equipped from Soul Tyrant, and they did a pretty good job with crowd control on the flying wads of gum. That and quick slash made him super easy.

So anyways, I'm in White Palace now. Jumped around a bunch of saw blades and it doesn't seem to bad so far but prepare for incoming bitching when I play it again tomorrow. When I inevitably start path of pain you guys can just put me on ignore because it's going to be poo poo post city.

I’m almost 2 weeks into my attempt to beat path of pain. I’m at the last section though according to the speed run I saw. It probably wouldn’t take me this long but I can only play for like an hour here and there each day. Still, it’s pretty drat masochistic.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Or if you've purchased the lantern, go explore Deepest.

Yes....go to Deepnest....

There are things there....in the dark........

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I beat White Palace but I still have no idea what the plot of this game is supposed to be :shrug:

There’s a 45 minute YouTube video out there that explains the lore. I didn’t watch it cause I have yet to beat the true ending and don’t want spoilers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

A Spider Covets posted:

Just got this for Switch! I read the OP and skimmed through the thread some, but was wondering if you guys had any must-know advice for first-timers?

Buy the compass charm from the starting town once you’re able to and equip it by sitting on a bench and pressing “-“.

Buy the charm that auto collects geo as early as possible.

Try to buy the lantern early as well, but that can wait until your 4 hours or more into the game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

snoremac posted:

Please tell me the first colosseum trial is the longest. I thought I’d beat it after the swooping fly mother but it just...keeps...going.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You want to at least beat the second challenge at some point. However, the final challenge will break you and rewards NOTHING! LOL!. You also get a new title.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

axeil posted:

Thanks for these, they were really helpful! Glad to know that the only thing that's missable is an ending. I assume there's a new game+ so you can go back and get it?

Also I can't believe this is only $15 on the Switch. I've been playing on Steam but I got the Switch version just because that's such an incredible deal. Wish I could transfer my save over though.

No new game+ but if you choose to beat the final boss (should be pretty obvious to you where to do that) after the credits roll you’ll start on the bench right outside and can go back out and explore more of the world. Go beat the boss at least once to get the scrub ending, it adds a map completion percentage tracker. Then keep exploring to find the true ending, etc.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeeeessss!!!!!!!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hold out till you get some more movement abilities, most players say it takes about 5-6 hours before the game clicks. Also don’t be afraid to use the downstrike to bounce off enemies and bosses to avoid damage.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Deckit posted:

I got this game on sale a while ago for ps4. Didn't pick it up until two days ago and I am in love. :3:

Going in blind and I love all the aesthetics and story telling. The animation and sound is so good. It really reminds me of playing Super Metroid or Castlevania. I tread cautiously but I keep missing benches. But it's okay because I keep making money exploring.

I just got to the mantis Lord's and lawdy. Ima keep exploring.

You can store money in the bank when you find it, helps for if you die and fail to retrieve your corpse.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4IkfBZKfYQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gonna try and go 90% spoiler free into the game, like when I started Hollow Knight. I knew a little bit about it but had no real idea how amazing it was gonna be.