Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think blue candidates should generally be able to adopt positions amenable to local interests- the problem with the democratic party is moderate candidates running in solid blue areas.

By the way if you abandon red states, the republicans in more contested races have more money to throw into theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The thing about the d team centrists is that they're in deep blue areas like NY and CA. They have easy elections and have absolutely no need to bother but go centrist anyway.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You do have to be careful with the stories because a lot of them are anonymous side swipes at each other. I think most of the stories are true, but the people involved may be switched around.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Condiv posted:

what part of spending megabux in california is efficient hillary :confused:

Mook was very proud that the campaign was going to end up in the black at the end.

Moneyball makes sense when money is a problem, and you need to get maximum value for dollar. Money was not a problem for the Hillary campaign.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Sanders did not have an amazing campaign either but i think that comes down to his inexperience in this sort of thing as well as that of his staff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The DNC just nullifying Hillary wouldve been even worse than what they did to bernie. Keep in mind, Hillary was not the DNC. The DNC cheated, not Hillary.

Bernie needed a legit win, not something like this.

I say this as someone who thinks bernie woulda won, but you can't separate the primary from the general.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

tekz posted:

Reading Shattered has been a blast. Is there more stuff out there to read about what goes on behind the scenes in the party?

Probably not for a while.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

NewForumSoftware posted:

Do you have any data to back this up or is this just a gut feeling kind of thing?

Sounds kind of like "Trump could never win the general" ie Hillary's campaign strategy

You're not going to find data for insane counterfactuals.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

shrike82 posted:

I have to say, the notion of a grifting group of white male educated podcasters that spend their time lambasting minority Democrats as being the same as the GOP while not having to worry about deportations or abortion rights is a pretty good summary of the leftist movement in the US right now.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Welp, no one can criticize centrist policies any more if they come from a minority. Wrap it up, bernouts.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
This is anecdotal, but pretty much every employment law violation i've ever seen has been a mom and pop/small time place, and this is in the construction industry. Stuff like making people clock out and continue or not paying overtime, these are things i've seen.

The problem, essentially, is that the only way that these laws get enforced is by lawsuits and fly-by-night operations don't tend to have enough money to get anything out of it.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 19, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Condiv posted:

this is not limited to small business. when i was working for pizzahut, management would allot a specific number of paid worker hours to the store to get its work done. the amount allotted was well below what was needed, but according to corporate that's no excuse and they start leaning on the store managers to manage better. so the store managers pressure workers to go off the clock and keep working. the extra-nice part of this arrangement is then corporate can blame store managers for labor violations if it ever becomes a problem, and claim they had no idea what was happening

big corporate firms violate labor law too, they just do it in a way that they can claim ignorance

fair enough, i never worked retail so that makes sense

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If individual income got taxed the way businesses do, off the top after rent, expenses, etc, it would actually be a progressive tax.

I think there is a very important difference between ownership and management. One has value, the other does not. I think management is probably significantly overpaid in this country, but it does add value.

I think actually enforcing antitrust law and taking a hard line would do a lot to help small businesses, taking a harsh view of vertical monopolies in particular as well as horizontal ones.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The funniest thing is how, i'm reading an economics textbook, and they will talk about a bunch of factors that contribute to a country's economy- land, labor, law, and then you'll see "entrepreneurship" thrown in there.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

JeffersonClay posted:

It's a good thing that poor Africans will pay more for clothing because this will create more job opportunities in sweatshop textile production, I guess?

Whatever will we do with all this superbowl loser swag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

shrike82 posted:

Exactly which is why it's particularly funny to see certain posters literally whip themselves up in a righteous anger about centrists over and over and over again but still bend the knee to vote for a neolib.

It's so impotent to see.

just fyi, trump is a neolib, too, lol if you actually fell for his messaging

• Locked thread