Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Democrat Christine Pellegrino has defeated Republican Thomas Gargiulo in the District 9 State Assembly special election, an upset in a district that Donald Trump won by 23 points in the 2016 presidential race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmILsVduhY

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Health care or Russia? Democrats divided on 2018 focus

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
They've learned absolutely nothing

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Springer's proponents have highlighted his ability in the era of President Donald Trump to provide his own funding for a campaign and to connect with working-class voters familiar with his television show and history in Ohio politics.

Well, it's not like there's another popular Democrat who c-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmILsVduhY&t=5s

Oh that's right, she doesn't toe the party line too good.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 7, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
It's great that Liberal Democrats like to throw out knowledge of a complex issue and look smart about it. Now what are you going to do in people's day to day lives to solve it? The answer is usually loving nothing unless the donors allow it, so if you're low income like alot of African-american families, loving nothing but more prison. Which the donors allow, because they're in the prison business.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

MooselanderII posted:

At the very least, the optics are so atrociously bad she should be banished from politics forever.

Thankfully, even people in the Democratic party are getting sick of her poo poo.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Well it looks like Corbyn is on target to be PM right now. At least the UK might be getting its Bernie Sanders.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

VitalSigns posted:

It's fairly simple.

When centrism does horribly and loses, it's irrelevant that it didn't win, it's still the best choice because the left would obviously do even worse.

When that proves to be wrong and the left spanks the centrists, hmmm well actually the only thing that matters is the left didn't win outright so the centrists are again the best choice.

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/872516009629974535

In short, Blarism/centrism/triangulating neo-liberalism is a loving dead ideology. People that stick to it are being delusional.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Squandered? He was never going to take advantage of it at any point. Like Trump, he was basically lying through his teeth to get votes. He immediately shut down the grass roots orgs that got him in power once he was through the door. That he's still popular is a testament to just how drat charismatic the man is.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 12, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
By not mobilising them and leaving them directionless. He basically left them high and dry with no real causes to work towards. He used them to mobilise a vote for himself. The orgs were then poised to do whatever he wanted to push for policy. He didn't use them for anything and gave them no backing.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
On the other hand, the CIA ouster of Ukraine's government to put in a NATO base that triggered the Russian Crimea occupation was also very bad and stupid.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

JeffersonClay posted:

Uh, what? If you don't like establishment democratic policies, attack those policies. Don't smear the leaders with half-baked accusations that are in fact more salient against progressive heroes.

What policies? They don't loving have any, whch is a big part of why Clinton lost, and a big part of why they're going to lose more again if they don't stop spitting out platitudes.

"WE BELIEVE WE CAN WIN WHEN WE LEAD WITH OUR VALUES"

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUkA-5Vd3E0

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
A New Harvard Study Just Shattered the Biggest Myth About Bernie Supporters: In the face of endless propaganda from Democratic establishment leaders, a new poll finds that Bernie Sanders’ (I-Vermont) popularity is greater among minorities and women than among whites and men.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Brony Car posted:

Bernie had issues reaching out to minority voters and was counting on economic populism to win them over and it didn't work.

Populism and identity politics aren't mutually exclusive, but they aren't ready partners either.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxeAWyYiPHM

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
A tad strong, but I completely understand and agree with the sentiments behind it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I love that people (and a TYT section) are asking why the Republicans aren't pushing hard for Trump's impeachment. Don't they realise he makes them look bad!?

It might be because the Democrats and establishment followers never did tie Trump fast to the Republicans. People are acting like he's this lone entity with all the horribleness exuding from him and just getting rid of him will make things better. Of course they're not going to impeach him. He's perfect cover for poo poo they'd be doing anyway.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Probably one of the only good things about Trumps election is that he was like a bottle of smelling salts to alot of people. There are so many more engaged in politics now that weren't before. So many more people paying attention to the poo poo that's been going on with both parties.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Still even without all that he got nearly 50% 0f the Democratic vote, making up a 60 point deficit using only small contributions against basically the entire Democratic party Neo-Liberal machine. Plus there's was some not insignificant behind the scenes shenanigans in certain areas, as well as with the media.

There really is a hunger for an alternative politics, especially one that's saying it's going to overturn the status quo apple cart. Even if it turns out to be just lies.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Ytlaya posted:

I think that the single biggest factor was probably Clinton's name recognition and the favorable views older Americans (or at least anyone old enough to have been 30+ during the 90's) have of her husband. Old people still vote disproportionately more than the young, so this would make a very big difference. On the upside, this means that the Democratic voting base will probably continue moving to the left as older Democrats die off and younger Democrats come of voting age.

The most surprising of which for alot of people was his massive Michigan upset, which should really have set off alarm bells all over the place for the establishment Dems, but no let's just ignore campaigning there and in the rest of the rust belt.

Additionally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrOKWIsR5L0

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 5, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I keep hearing here that she's an Assad apologist. When I read around though it seems that Tulsi's position is more that "Yes, Assad is bad, but the Syrian people seem to want a return to that more than continued war and US supported terrorists like Al Shabaab or ISIS affiliated factions or "name of fundamentalist faction" taking power if he falls". I don't see that as an unreasonable position in the slightest.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Personally, though Warren does good things, I don't like her because she only grandstands or commits when it's politically easy for her to do so. One of the reasons I like Sanders is because he says and does the right things even when it's politically debilitating for him to do so. Warren is a bit of a weather vane when it comes to things and she refuses to spend political capital or put herself on the line in some pretty cowardly ways.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Mineaiki posted:

What ever happened with Bernie's whole bank fraud thing?

It's not even his "bank fraud thing", it's his wife's and has only been loosely tied to him. Also she wouldn't have even personally have profited from it, as it was funds for the college. Looks and smells sort of like a desperate smear job.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

NewForumSoftware posted:

They are better because at least they are honest about their objectives.

Pretty much this. They both actually do the same thing. Democrats just manage to actually pass the really bad poo poo (like lovely trade deals and permanent enshrinement of certain tax cuts) because they still wear the cloak of their FDR and civil rights past.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 8, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/882674564316246016

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
"I mean, have you seen the other guys?" was basically the 2016 election platform and that sure worked out well.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Jaxyon posted:

I like how people have this condescending view of Africa that we either need to chastise or give charity to a massive diverse continent, as if the many nations of are ignorant children or pitiable fuckups.

The main reason much of Africa is so messed up is that it's being actively hosed by many corporations and nations, has been for centuries and continues to this day.

Not to mention religions. We have US born, Christian missionaries setting up shop all over the place there to push the anti-LGBTx and anti-birth control agenda that they can no longer get away with at home. Plus all the Islamic extremist elements that pop up.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Hell, America has over 100 covert engagements going on at any one time, mostly in Africa. They're fighting a shadow war over there for influence and eventually access to more resources. Pillaging is the right word.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Go Seattle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTqESZgQhxg

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Lightning Lord posted:

And it's he stops for a full second and stares forward before he bites into the toast like his CPU is processing what his next function should be. I can't get over this.

He doesn't even stare at the camera, he stares off into the middle distance somewhere around it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Lol if you think that investigation is anything but a legless smear job.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Wait, is Debbie Wasserman Schultz back in a lead role in "The Resistence™"?

Oh god these people are loving roaches.

JeffersonClay posted:

It began under obama so it's obviously a neoliberal plot

Correct. Though it began with a conversation based on hearsay with a Republican in Vermont. The bank that they say was defrauded have made no complaint, by the way.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 15, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I did, I said "bullet in the clip of smears" and thought it just sounded awkward.

Also:

https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/885357305268711424

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Kilroy posted:

posting videos of thread regulars is against the forum rules, fyi

Who's a regular on the what now? I found that tweet in a Raw Story article on the subject.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

A winning message?

Wait.

Wait, is that the one that actually won?

Jesus loving Christ no wonder satire is dead.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Better late than never.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Oh you wish. I thought it was from an Onion article at first, but no, all those stickers were real, official things. The fact that was the one that won is so far beyond ridiculous I can barely fathom it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
If they lose any more then the Republicans can call a Constitutional Amendment all by themselves and there's not a drat thing anyone else can do about it. The Democrats are so far beyond a joke that they're just outright a danger to the nation as it stands with their incompetence.

• Locked thread