Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

spacejung posted:

What would you propose to compel people to stop mentioning the Arkansas Governor's mansion? Maybe some kind of "three strikes provision" would help you feel more safe?

Do what you want, it's only NFS who is shown to both be an idiot shill on the slave topic and has already thrown it out there as some kind of rhetorical Trump card a hundred times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

Entirely unprompted.

See this post.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

dox posted:

do you really think a trump presidency is that much different from a clinton presidency aside from optics and controlling the narrative? it's all the same policy- we'd still be bombing third world countries whilst denying health care to those who need it... the whole "b-b-but trump" shtick doesn't seem to add up

Off the top of my head:

Supreme Court (so that's gerrymandering, policing, Citizens United sticking around, and major union issues right there)
Everything the Justice Dept does.
Immigration policy.
Everything the EPA does.
The possibility of 20 million people losing their insurance.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

What's your solution to a 7-2 Supreme Court banning union dues?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

WampaLord posted:

She's going to loving run again. I really loving hope primary voters are smart enough to not give her a second shot.

Not even Chuck Schumer will give her a second shot.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Ah yes, Hillary Clinton, noted friend of Unions and enemy of unlimited corporate funding of politicians.

Snark all you want. We know how each party's Supreme Court nominees come down on these issues. And you know that's what's being discussed. The virtue of the person doing the appointing is not relevant to who gets appointed.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 26, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Maybe try considering the viewpoint of the actual majority of black voters who voted for her rather than just being a smug edgelord telling them they voted for slavery?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

yes, we know how worthless centrist judges are on the issues. and hillary's a worthless centrist so we'd get garland or someone the republicans suggested

Are all the democratic-nominated justices on the Supreme Court now worthless centrists and if so when was the last one who wasn't? I am curious where you draw the line.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

why are you asking me who constitutes a worthless centrist when i already gave you an example of one (garland)? another example would be kennedy

Are all the current democratic appointed justices sitting on the Supreme Court worthless centrists, y/n?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

n, some of them are extremely conservative, some of them are left-leaning. you're fishing really hard to find a reason for what i said to be unreasonable

Who is extremely conservative on the Supreme Court out of the four justices appointed by Bill Clinton or Obama? And who is a "worthless centrist" by your definition. Grow the gently caress up and define your parameters.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

why are you asking me who constitutes a worthless centrist when i already gave you an example of one (garland)? another example would be kennedy

Why do you act so assured that these would be the exact type of justice appointed by a democrat when the four on the court you admit lean left?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Not to throw shade on painstaking wikipedia but that tells me nothing about how Garland would rule on overturning Citizens United on the Supreme Court. It only tells me he applied the law as the Supreme Court determined it. Which is what almost all lower court judges would do.

Also, the only reason we have Citizens United in the first place is because of Republican appointed justices. I think they should not be elected so they don't appoint more. And I'm actually willing to vote and encourage others to vote rather than sit on my rear end.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 26, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

If you mean do I want new leadership at the DNC/House/Senate. And I always said Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate. Do I want to primary every Senator? No. There's other ways of pushing the party.

twodot posted:

So I agree this doesn't say a lot, but you claimed:

If we're not using how he ruled in previous related cases to know how he comes down on these issues, what are we using?

There is a lot of research on judicial ideology based on voting patterns. Unsurprisingly, on left/right ideology Garland is basically another Breyer, and Gorsuch is to the right of even Scalia.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I don't care who gets primaried but in the general I will not apologize for voting to keep the seat from going to some Tea Party crazy.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

:agreed: we should stop voting for republicans who pretend they're democrats like manchin. they're making progress that much more difficult

What would be better if his GOP opponent in 2012 won?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It's not about the primary, it's about what strategy to take after the primary's over if I don't much like the nominee.

Reading comprehension is key here.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv gets it and is just playing this little rhetorical game here, which is fine except I can just shoot back "why are you talking about Republicans if this is the bad Dem thread :smug: "

As usual NFS does not even get what the conversation is about and is just twisting it to fit some sick takedown of a predicted neoliberal talking point.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 26, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

NewForumSoftware posted:

Like most things in life... it depends.

On how bad the nominee is that you "don't like"
On how bad his opposition is
On how close the race is
etc

Holy poo poo a nuanced answer!

If the race is close and I believe candidate X will vote for more bad poo poo than candidate Y, I will vote Y. If I don't like Y I will vote against Y in the primaries but not hatevote for X because of some ten dimensional chess.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Well aside from the question of admitted Trump voters and their defenders, I still see not voting as basically handing the most regressive elements of our society a default win.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Fortunately such an extreme example is not what's going on.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

See, what this thread has done in many cases, and I'm sure it's in reaction to some :abuela: stuff in part, has been basically to imply that any non-CTH voter is scum.

To me this is foolhardy if you want to be more than a rump faction. Blaming voters who are somewhat aligned won't convince anyone you're a movement they should join. Now some people are fine with that because they care more about purity politics, but I suspect Bernie Sanders or his successors care more about getting more votes and less about insular bullshit.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

NewForumSoftware posted:

:ironicat: how can you even post this after blaming third party voters for trump

That's just my personal moral outlook on things. It sure as hell isnt a campaign strategy.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Democrats obviously need some Senators from red states if they're ever going to have another majority. Which states do we have to abandon as Insufficiently leftist keeping in mind we probably have to do the same with some "blue" neoliberal states too, right?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Shorter NFS: White fragility.txt

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

i'm not advocating for abandoning states (cause guess what! my state is an abandoned state!!)

i'm advocating for abadoning false democrats. hth

the dems need to start running dems in every state, and actual dems. dems that aren't afraid of a democratic message like higher minimum wage and punishing wall street banks and better healthcare

Good for you. Maybe you should run for office. Seriously.

I was responding to this "why be red state Dems at all" thing.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

remember ossoff, and how shittily he did. it's cause when it came down to it the biggest differences between him and his opponent was which party was backing them. and hey, ossoff's party is somehow even less liked than the republicans or trump

Seems to depend on the state/district and the candidate. Ossoff probably isn't more conservative than Manchin even though WV is way more conservative than GA-6. There are still blue dogs who get elected. Some of them are more eager to associate with Sanders than with Clinton. Doesn't mean they need to be beloved figures by the left, but if there is a more leftist alternative by all means let them take a shot at the primary. This is why we have primaries ffs.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're right.

the clintonites should bend the knee.

I know, let's demand the 60 percent of primary voters who didn't go our way last time literally bow down in the language of a neckbeard 70 yr old pervert fantasy writer. That'll show them.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

Even better, let's pretend that every dem supporter's political opinions were locked in place by their vote in the 2016 primary and shall remain unchanged for all time.

Well the neckbeard quote isn't how I'd go about softening them up but whatever. Maybe they love being told "gently caress you" by way of a neckbeard in a beret.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

If it's not a minority in the party it can just win primaries, no?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Yes, it can. And as people get more and more angry I think you'll start to see progressive upsets happen more and more often.

Calling it now: When progressives start to have primary successes people like yronic and JC will shift the goalposts and argue that the left isn't winning *enough* and therefore is still not a significant portion of the party. Just watch.

i agree most of the party is progressive. I'm just not sure progressive means to me what it means to you.

How many Dem Senators do you think will get successfully primaried in 2018 and 2020? I predict the number is zero.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

To me success means a lot more federal office holders will get behind single payer. I know that some of our regulars have a hard on for purges tho, but if the standard is "every dem senator is a neoliberal shill at best" (which is a position taken by some here) they ain't purging poo poo.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

They'll just change their position. That's politics. Happened with same sex marriage.

But if you disagree, tell me which Dem US senators you see getting successfully primaried in the next 4 years. I might just Toxx you on it if I think it's ridiculous enough..

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 27, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's actually better than we've got Gorsuch in instead of Garland because we know exactly what Gorsuch is going to do in every situation. Garland would just serve to give false hope when he inevitably stabbed us in the back on a major issue, but King Hussein was too busy hoping to get patted on the head by McConnell and told he was a good boy to actually do anything helpful.

2 stars for effort

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The Blue Dogs were a gigantic failure, though. They refused to support traditional Democratic priorities, their unreliability had serious consequences for Democratic initiatives, and in the end most of them found that running as a Democrat who votes like a Republican gave them very little room to fight back against actual Republican challengers.

What democratic initiatives have been better since the GOP took those seats?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

"Bend the knee" is pretty much only in popular culture because of George RR Martin, hence the neckbeard joke (this is still something awful dot com right? hough the CTH guys do give out that vibe too if I'm being honest). More's the pity if you don't know the other, original bad thread. Come to the book barn and post about Gurrm.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 27, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

WampaLord posted:

The stupid quibbling over "is the phrase 'bend the knee' sexist" is exactly the distraction centrists would love us to focus on instead of the real issues.

Don't play into their game.

I'm not quibbling over whether it's sexist. I'm quibbling over whether it's neckbeardy as all gently caress.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

The DCCC wants to bring them back as the future of the dem party

Anyone can run in the primaries. If your district has a progressive majority they can easily nominate someone else.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

Posting on this site is neck beardy af

Seems like a silly thing to quibble about here in that context

Posting bout neckbeards in SA? I never.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

So if the bad dems do get primaried we can assume you wont squeal like a stuck pig about it?

Correct. It's not me who's making a bunch of assumptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

If democracy and dictatorship of the majority are so awesome and just, why are you not satisfied with total GOP domination? They control everything, that means they are universally popular.

Good lord, you are dense. I welcome the hypothetical future progressive majority. I just think it ain't gonna come from temper tantrums but by getting more votes.

• Locked thread