Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'd be more sympathetic to the DNC's viewpoint if it looked like they had any loving clue which districts are winnable. Fair is fair, I wouldn't have expected a race in Kansas to be close either. Then again, I also don't have the logistics and data analysis they're supposed to have perfected. Which is kind of the takeaway in all this: if Perez doesn't have a good answer for how they missed it, and what they plan to do to avoid missing opportunities in the future, then the DNC--and by extension, the rest of us--are proper hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's not like 'economic populism for me, not for thee' doesn't have a long and well established history in this country. But that reading of the historical record has sweet gently caress-all to do with the left as it's currently constituted. Like, no one is saying, "back in the closet queermo, you're costing us votes in Alabama," because economic justice and human rights are not actually mutually exclusive goals. One imagines that a theoretical Sanders-appointed justice department would spend a more time chasing down mass fraud on Wall St. then Obama and Holder, but unless I badly misread the man there weren't any plans to shut down the civil rights division either.

Edit: seriously, the issue I take with whatever offense has people literally shaking on campuses this week isn't that I lust for the ability to bellow racial slurs it's that demonstrating how woke you are is way less useful than helping the actual drat workers at the dorm cafeteria unionize. And while those COULD go hand-in-hand, in practice they rarely do because the latter is much harder.

I am far less sanguine than Rudatron that populism is the first order driver for most of Trump's supporters, but the notion that the DSA or what have you wants to roll back civil rights legislation is a pernicious lie that needs to be pushed back against.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 10, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

All kidding aside, when posters in this thread rail against neo-liberals this is what they're thinking about.

It also, not incidentally, why we desperately need folks who were excited about Sanders but lukewarm about Hillary to sharpen their focus on local elections and leadership positions.

edit: that being said, if you think it was the superior strategic or moral choice to let the proposed ACA die because it didn't go far enough (it didn't), you've got no loving standing denouncing others as out-of-touch elitists. I don't fault anyone for complaining about the places where it falls short--join the loving club--but passing it was better than not passing it, full stop.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 10, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

NewForumSoftware posted:

You know what would have been superior reform? Just telling insurers they can't exclude people based on pre-existing conditions. There, all of the good in one sentence.
If you honestly believe that is the sum total of improvements over the status quo, you're a goddamned fool, and if I thought Sanders believed that I wouldn't have voted for him in the primary. Fortunately I know that he doesn't believe that because rather than torpedo it for the sake of obviously superior health plan just over the horizon, he looked at in imperfect bill and negotiated for a provision he wanted in exchange for his vote. You know, like a politician.

You'll forgive me if it's hard to be dispassionate about a bill that literally saved the lives of family members. Happily, it doesn't ultimately whether I think you're a self-absorbed prat or not so long as we're working towards the same policy goals--that's the beauty of, what was it again? "Making common cause with people you find distasteful.'

• Locked thread