Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Have you considered the United States is simply working as intended and the Dem leadership is comfortable with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

The dastardly Russians, now escalating from forcing Hillary to not campaign in the Rust Belt to saying that the Democrats should follow the 50-state strategy they claimed they would follow.

Does their perfidy know no end?

I heard the Russians travelled back in time to hobble the republic, too.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
The Harlem globetrotters was actually a piece of occulted activist art demonstrating the true essence of the American political reality: A bunch of show boating maniacs simultaneously bound and unbound by the rules of the sport crushing a by-the-book team with an ease that is frankly quite suspicious.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Kilroy posted:

The left has been trying that for about thirty years or more. Turns out that an alliance with nihilists isn't worth much.

Like, don't confuse talking about "centrists" in D&D with talking about people who just have moderate political views. We're referring specifically to the people who run the DNC (and their idiotic defenders here) who have basically no ideology to speak of, aside from power for its own sake. Establishment Democrats aren't in politics to make the world a better place, or for that matter really do much of anything when in office other than the bare minimum their constituency demands (assuming they can't weasel out of it somehow). They're mostly in politics because it's a good racket and because it feeds their ego. If forced to choose between sharing what power they have in the DNC, with people who want to do poo poo (which always carries some risk), and just remaining a minority party forever, they'll choose the latter. They have chosen the latter. These are the shitheads we're talking about - not people who aren't ideologically leftist enough. I know that gets lost in the rhetoric sometimes but that's what it is. I mean I can only speak for myself but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this.

Fwiw, I think your assessment is essentially correct.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Axeil, what the hell are you even referring to with regards to value? In the current capitalist sense?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

I wish Obama would have actually you know, done anything about the financial crisis other than completely bail the banks out. It gets really old hearing people who work in a failed industry (finance) that only still exists because the US government bailed them out talk about how people need to provide value while they almost collapsed the entire financial system.

Just further verification that anyone in finance is an existential threat to most humans. We may as well be letting hyenas make decisions about human society.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Radish posted:

Like that's evil for a Republican. The fact that Obama kept defending this guy really paints a negative portrait of him.

Hell, there is a nonzero chance that Obama buys into this horrifying poo poo too.

Good God Summers is absolute scum.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Thomas Frank's book "Listen Liberal" was mentioned earlier but I forgot to add that Frank's portrayal of Democratic governance in Massachusetts is probably the most accurate assessment I've seen to date.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

KomradeX posted:

What does he say about it?

He says it has effectively been a test bed for the blue state model of governance and has produced an outcome that serves as a microcosm of national Democratic governance and it's outcomes.

More specifically he is referring to the orthodox Dem desire for a highly educated "innovator" class that lives and works in a well developed metropolitan area guiding the party, with the state level policy focus being primarily on them. Predictably, this has caused lots of development in and around Boston with accessory benefits to locals, but with much of the state rotting away by comparison.

On paper we look great, but once you look outside of Boston and some wealthy bedroom communities things aren't going so well. He specifically mentions Fall River as an example of this contrast, and oh boy was he right on that one.

Worse yet Frank seems to identify the population of Mass as a captive audience, things are largely Democratic with the occasional Republican surge but as far as ability to set policy there isn't that much in the way of the Dems beyond the leadership itself and problems of their own making. And still they usually can't manage.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 20, 2017

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/855015900495458304

As eye roll inducing as the stereotypical stoner is, the Dems should run on this and run hard. Even the GOP is generally in favor of legalizing weed. Could help turn people out too.

Why would you trash the group you said you need for turn out in the exact same post. What is served by this? Pathology is 100% correct.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

My state passed a legalization referendum. The Democrats have not only come out against it, they have attempted to postpone it, subvert it, and undo it.

They hate hate hate it, and many of them will still readily complain about how much contempt they hold the voters in for supporting it. I almost feel sometimes like many of them hate the idea of legal marijuana more than they hate Trump.

Even if they managed to grudgingly express support for it, I don't think anyone would believe they meant it at this point. They have already destroyed their credibility on drug topics over the last ten years among anyone who would support them over it because no one would actually believe they supported it (and based on my experience, expressions of support would be lies so that would be completely justified)

Hello Massachusetts buddy. I agree the dem party of Massachusetts are useless, with some dems floating amendments to the bill ranging from contradictory (six plants but only two ounces of flower per household), to pure "what the gently caress" such as raising the legal age to 25 for cannabis products.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

If you want to get involved in fixing the BadDem situation in MA I've been working hard at it and it's always nice to have more goons on board. We're currently trying to destroy the state party establishment which is chock full of unelected BadDems that can't be removed without literally amending the party charter.

Yes I'd be willing to help however I can. I have some experience in municipal government, for whatever it is worth which isn't much considering the horror show it tends to be.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, my post was stupid. But it was still very thread appropriate. You guys don't seem to mind stupid posts that much.

I'm a centrist. I vote for progressive politicians any time I am able to. I don't see how positions advocated in this thread by people like NewForumSoftware will do anything but push people away from progressive ideology and politicians.

50 state strategy? loving awesome!
Supporting D's in hard R districts? loving awesome!
Railing against centrists because they aren't politically pure enough for you? gently caress you.

Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate. she was still far better than anything we've ever had next to Obama.

If you were railing against the likes of Joe Lieberman, I would be right there with you. Instead you guys are calling Cory loving Booker a centrist.

Cory Booker is a centrist. Deal with it.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

He is a centrist in reference to your own position simply because you see anything to your right as the wrong side. He is a pretty solid center left politician. This is different than a centrist. True centrists don't exist anymore.

Sorry guy, you are wrong. He dodged the term "progressive", George Norcross III defended him as a fiscal conservative, he defended Bain capital, and he did vote against negotiation for drug prices, among other things.

In the future you should rely on empirical assessments such as track records and stated positions as well as allies rather than whatever internal sensations you have in that addled centrist brain.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't think he calls himself a progressive. Also, I don't see the point of hanging a symbolic vote around his neck like it really mattered. If you don't think people like Cory Booker on on your side, it's no wonder you can't put a majority together. Instead of making GBS threads on him and those that support, you should see he votes with you 95% of the time and not try to push the ideologically impure from your ranks. Cory Booker ins't preventing you from achieving progressive legislative wins, so why focus on him instead of the R's that are actually the issue.

How is this not loving obvious?

Wrong again. Do some research on how centrists have royally hosed up even deeper blue states, not because of opposition from the right but because their policies are poo poo for most people and they have a stranglehold on the party at all levels.

I'll once again ask you to look at reality rather than the increasingly feverish dreams of the centrists.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:wtc:

Keep loving that chicken guys. That drat centrist Cory Booker who votes 95% the same as the most progressive members of congress.

The fact you and jc think this is at all meaningful data speaks volumes. Please, go on.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You guys are so terrible a this.

Track record =/= narrow focus on voting record, but a good attempt.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

Maybe people are correct in being cautious about a man who said attacks against Bain were "nauseating"

Naw dude, centrists don't exist anymore apparently.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

what other empirical data should i look at if not voting record? If you say "His positions" you are loving awful at this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Cory_Booker

That's a list of center left semi progressive policy positions.

Bills drafted/submitted by him would be a better indicator than pure voting record as other posters have already argued, but maybe you should take a look at that link because it doesn't say what you think it says. He looks explicitly socially liberal and economically conservative, aka a centrist. He is even categorized as a libertarian democrat up top you doofus.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

axeil posted:

What I don't get is you guys all hate Wall Street and Obama is taking money away from them. Shouldn't that be seen as a good thing so they can't eat babies or do whatever other delusional thing you people think Wall Street does with their money?

Not sure if self-parody or just incredibly stupid.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
I'm not even sure how one would think that is a good argument, or barring that, a clever one. If one of the accusations is that impropriety is occurring due to a financial transaction, how at all does it follow that the transaction itself is good because it takes money away from one party and gives it to another when that very dynamic is what is being called into question either because of bad optics or nefarious intent. It's loving stupid and applying it to any other situation should make that abundantly clear.

This is to say nothing of how little 400k actually represents in terms of financial impact for Cantor Fitzgerald

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 26, 2017

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

axeil posted:

It can't just be a vanity "we got a cool speaker" thing? I doubt companies really think former athletes and hollywood stars are fountains of wisdom but they get to come and speak.

I mean, we also have no idea what he's going to say. If his speech is "you guys need to help defend the ACA" is the speech now okay?

Again, given how fractured the party is and how pissed people seem to get about finance I'm totally fine with advocating for him not to do the speech. Where it irritates me is that the group of people getting upset about this will just find something else tomorrow that proves the Democrats Are The Real Bad Guys. There's no pleasing them unless you meet 100% of their ridiculous criteria and then the minute you slip up even a little they'll abandon you en masse and stab you in the back.

Yeah, we get you are super salty because you are in finance and also have poo poo opinions you share to people who dislike you, thus making you more salty.

How about you spare us all and become a Republican or Libertarian instead? I'm sure they won't stab you in the back.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

Obama clearly wants to have a constructive role in unifying the party going forward. Acting like a corporate Democrat isn't going to help him, in that regard. The number one thing his legacy does not need, is for him to look more like the Clintons.

Can we start taking bets on if/when Obama will lead the vanguard against an insurgent left in the party?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Fansy posted:

If FDR proposed the second Bill of Rights today, how would liberals respond?

• The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
  • The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
  • The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
  • The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
  • The right of every family to a decent home;
  • The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
  • The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
  • The right to a good education.

Probably say it was pie in the sky full communism now, maybe you'll get a hot take on Sanders too.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
How many politicians willing to speak to folks from Wall Street for fat stacks of cash only do it once, though? I might be totally incorrect, but it seems like a well that is repeatedly dipped into.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Oh yeah, and the tax cuts are almost certainly going to balloon the deficit, which led to further cuts more than the ones that are planned (in all honesty they will probably be directed to SS/Medicare). Then you always have the looming possibility of another incoming recession in a year or two.

So you got the Democrats actively trying to sabotage portions of their own party, Obama taking "not-a-bribe" from Wall Street and Trump laying the ground for a future catastrophe 2-3 years from now. Yeah, American politics are completely salvageable.

I don't know how people have faith that political reform is possible. It really is just faith, too, as there are very few indicators of reform being feasible through typical political channels.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

It's very easy to understand the "he's making them poorer" when you realize that the neoliberal mindset isn't that employees create wealth but that they're actually a burden that the capitalist class is being charitable to let leech on their profits. It's just rare for liberals to tap into that so openly.

Huh, I never really considered that but it does make a lot of positions make much more sense.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Future spoiler: Everyone defending Obama getting 400k from Cantor will just as vigourosly defend Obama's future extravagent speaking fees to questionable entities, which I think everyone knows are coming deep down inside.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
There's also a pretty big difference between formal and informal fallacies. The former are logical show stoppers if your argument relies upon it as the logical structure is just broken, while the latter is has more to do with things like a bad conclusion or the characteristics of the premises.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 1, 2017

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

It's nice that you think you can just handwave them away, but guess what, internet tough guy? Your little pea-shooter gun isn't going to do much against a tank or an F-16. There is no way in which the violent protests that you advocate will be "sufficient."

Hi, sorry to bring it up again but this bothers me a little. This particular line of argument never made much sense because it assumes militaries are fueled by hoorah and magical logistic elves. No military is going to be throwing around the best poo poo they have in a full blown armed revolution, as the logistical basis of said military is for sure going to be compromised. Even the mighty US military needs food, fuel, and ammunition as well as good maintenance schedules for sophisticated equipment like aircraft.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Kilroy posted:

It would be nice if this article highlighted what the Democratic base is even supposed to be. It's not clear to me anymore. When Democratic leadership talks about turning out "their base" are they just talking about people who are terrified enough of the GOP to vote Democratic no matter what?

I think you just nailed it.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

The Syrian civil war begs to differ, and that's even with full paramilitary groups on the sides of the civilians. The Syrian government seemed to manage just fine with logistics.

So they experienced no degradation of performance or capabilities during the civil war?

My basic point is what is on paper is not necessarily what would really be able to be utilized, internal strife places significant stress on the abilities of military organizations to function optimally, whose effects range from logistical disruption to desertion. This is separate from the issue of whether such an event is desireable or even likely.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 2, 2017

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

Sure, they did have issues, but they still managed to drop bombs on civilians regularly

The American military is far more organized and coordinated then Syria ever was. It would take forever for their logistics to fall apart in a meaningful way.

Now, imagine the average American being bombed. Do you really think they would have the spine to hold out long enough for logistics to work against the military?

It's a silly thought experiment, is what I'm saying. A revolution doesn't stand a chance.

Fair point, the average American is indeed very servile and made of softer stuff than the average Syrian.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Typo posted:

Also the Syrian rebellion "worked" because a significant part of the army defected, if the army as a whole remained loyal to Assad the war would be over by now

Yeah this is a good point too that I didn't consider when I commented earlier. As the right wing essentially owns the US military we can forget that happening.

Can't do it by ballot or bullet, so what's left?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I don't think the ballot can be ruled out but it requires the democrats to either reform or get the gently caress out of the way

So it can be ruled out, then?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Typo posted:

The concentration of corporate power today is I'd say similar to that of early 1890s gilded age, populists and progressives equalized societies 100 years ago, it can happen again

In the election of 1912 all 3 parties wanted to fight the corporations: the democrats under wilson wanted to breakup the trusts, the progressives under T.Rooservelt wanted to legislate new anti-trust laws, while the republicans wanted to more vigorously enforce existing anti-trust laws

and this is after decades of corporate control of politics and blatantly corrupt presidents: the populists slowly took power from them against incredible odds, from making senate elections decided via popular vote instead being selected by state legislatures to passing Sherman anti-trust legislation and finally culminating in the new deal of the 1930s

It can happen again, and 2016 already showed the power of rising populism and the willingness by both the left and the right to reject traditional political orthodoxies

The Democrats are ready for a self-proclaimed democratic socialist and the Republicans for Trump, it's pretty obvious the Reagan status quo isn't going to last

Citing the successes of an ultimately defeated movement whose historical situation is very much disanalgous to our own is kind of a cold comfort. You may as well be citing the Bolsheviks.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Typo posted:

They weren't ultimately defeated no, you would be right to argue that some of their progress was rolled back though

Social security, the FDA, income tax being constitutional, popular election of senators, and the administrative state are proof of that. Despite a few generations of Republicans try to rollback on them they have never succeed
It's entirely analogous actually
There's very little left of the Communist state, while we are still fundamentally living in the country FDR created: it's just that times have changed enough that we need new left-wing ideas to adapt to globalization and technology which didn't exist in the 1930s

The meager reforms that were able to be passed survive, in a sense, but the movement that made them and the political will to further them is gone. It will only be a matter of time before the will to maintain them disappears as well. The party that pushed for these reforms now mirrors the ideological opponents the early dems had to fight to get even the pathetic skeleton of FDR's reforms passed. Sorry, that is a total defeat.

There is popular desire to do things, sure, but the ability to actually harness it is essentially gone. The Democrats either refuse the call or actively dismantle anyone who tries to get genuine leftism, which further illustrates the degree of defeat in the left.

Edit: Also I do not think the situations then and now are at all analogous. The situation just with labor is very different, as is the threat that automation and globalization play in weakening labor to the point of irrelevance. Leftist organizations were also significantly stronger then.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 2, 2017

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Radish posted:

I don't get the Booker/Kushner thing. Like every Democrat hates everyone associated with the Trumps from the Berniebros to the Hillbots. If he's trying to be the serious bipartisan guy waiting for all the facts there's probably better people to defend than the idiot son in law that shouldn't have gotten clearance in the first place. It's not like Republicans are going to respect that. Like it seems like a move designed to piss off as many people as possible.

Maybe he's gearing up to be the next Lieberman?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
One of the elements of the argument that this is all just a matter of education and dialogue I find so confusing is what do these folks think has been happening for well over a century? That conceptualization of the problem is old as dirt and clearly engaged in already presently and much more so historically.

When you consider that the bulk of efforts have exactly been on those lines and with meager success I would presume the matter would speak for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Efforts at dialogue, or rather outreach, do not happen to be uniformly distributed, right? Isn't it quite uncontroversial that certain areas have been entirely dominated by GOP agents, and vice versa? I mean in the aftermath of this election there was suddenly an avalanche of people trying to get politically involved only to find out their local party office was defunct. And appealing to people through talking heads on TV alone is ineffectual, it only works for the right because there are actually people on the ground, embedded in communities, who integrate right wing talking points into public life.

Depends on the time and place, I think. I won't deny it is certainly one important tool to utilize, that is just objectively true. My confusion comes from the fact that it has been widely utilized as a technique to the point that I think one could reasonably argue it is the primary strategy leftists rely on. And yet the country, in terms of who controls actual power, has been decisively becoming more right wing, more capitalist over time. Even the much lauded New Deal period was accompanied by an incredible expansion of corporate power and influence over the state. Clearly there is a bit more going on than a simple lack of reaching out to folks on their own terms.

• Locked thread