Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I heard the Russians travelled back in time to hobble the republic, too.
Alaska was a Trojan territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Look at how the majority of the centrists in this thread can't actually offer any defense for Perez lying about having a fifty state strateg.
The New Fifty State Strategy for Securing the Presidency: Have all African states annexed to the US, thereby securing the all important Permanent Demographic Advantage.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Even if you think that every Republican voter is trash that should literally suffer and die, not every single person who lives in Republican areas is Republican themselves. Many are also children (or other dependents like the mentally disabled).
These are the same thing! It would be much better for the US if rural voters were sterilized and their votes taken away, to protect democracy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Condiv posted:

i wonder why the rich and powerful have easy access over everyone else

could it be bribery? (it is)
Not wholly. Ytlaya is definitely right that the mere fact that our political class' social circle is going to be composed of a very specific segment of the population ensures that this segment has a huge leg up in terms of access, even before you add varying degrees of bribery. Plus rich people have far more class consciousness than everyone else.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

The article seems to indicate that Bill was a toxic influence though and was basically encouraging Hillary to place the blame anywhere but with herself.
Bill just had the interests of future school children in mind. Bad enough we have two Bushes so close together, two (or three!) Clinton's on top of that would be a nightmare.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Hillary was in charge. She had total freedom to pick her staff and sack them if she wanted to. The blame is entirely on her when she didn't take the necessary actions to improve her "ground game" or get her and her staff to make her case or any other fuckup of her campaign which, once again, she had full freedom to run as she pleased. She doesn't get to blame anybody else.
"The buck stops there."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I would also like to point out that pre-election, we were all whooping it up at symptoms of Trump's campaign looking this way.
Turns out Hillary is just a less competent Trump.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

axeil posted:

Eh the reason I'm still one of those scary ~*centrist*~ boogeymen is because I'm more worried if we go for big sweeping reform all at once the country will literally fall into fascism. I mean, if the little incremental changes of Obamacare and actually regulating business/the environment caused this, what would happen if the status quo was attacked even more fiercely?
You could easily take the opposite lessen. Little incremental changes aren't what people are looking for when their communities are in free fall, they want decisive action. If that action fails to materialize, they lose faith in the political system, either convincing them that voting is useless or sending them into the arms of demagogues.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

I'm calling it questionable because people like Bill Clinton and Tony Blair didn't actually run from the term or try to disguise it. It wasn't something that was thrown at them as an insult, it was just what they were. Hillary Clinton's 2016 platform was center-left by American standards and I think it's fine to call her a centrist, but I hate seeing "third wayism" thrown around as a derogatory term because it leads to all sorts of stupid pedantic arguments (like this one).
Maybe center-left in terms of who gets elected (or not, in this case :v:), and that's before you take into account that you're talking about her platform, not the policies she would've actually pursued if she won.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

To be fair, I imagine, like myself, most of us were in our late teens and early 20s and fringe positions are pretty popular for that age group. There are also probably a shitload of people here who opposed 9/11 even though that was also a fringe position 15 years ago.
I'm definitely still pro-9/11, unless you mean '73.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

readingatwork posted:

"It does not solve racism, therefore the only reason you could want it is because you are racist."
There's also the in my experience more common "There are more poor white people than poor minorities, so anything that helps poor people helps white people more than minorities", occasionally presented in a fashion closer to "There are more poor whites than minorities, so helping poor people is redistributing wealth from minorities to white people".

Calibanibal posted:

honestly if hillary had advocated for any form of justice at all i would have been content
Justice For Prospective Female Presidents Who Have Been Wronged By Boys/Bros

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I didn't realize Trump won the election with 80% of the vote. It's really too bad Bernie with the popularity of leftism in the country couldn't even win the primaries.
Abstaining is a valid response to a politician not offering you poo poo. With only 26% of eligible voters voting for her, that 80% might be generous, given that a lot of voters would be voting out of habit, or against Trump, not for her per se.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

shrike82 posted:

And that makes Trump win 80% of the vote how?
Where are you getting that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Capitalism is probably salvageable, but you kind of need to acknowledge how bad it is right now if you want to even begin that discussion.
Capitalism is not salvageable, it must by its very nature corrupt and undermine any system which seeks to tame it.

• Locked thread