Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Jamie Raskin is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

I don't know if the DNC put in any money at the end as well, and if you have anything to support that he wanted DNC money at that point and didn't get it, then sure, lets discuss that but I have no reason to believe it's true. Plus the guy got $150k from Kos, and didn't lack for cash in the final days of the race: I do not know if more money at that point would have been helpful.

As for charismatic politicians: national democrats are clearly not helpful: Thompson was explicitly trying to avoid even running against Trump. He ran against Brownback, and relied on people who hated Trump to make the connection anyway. He didn't want Obama coming in. He wanted the race to be as local as possible: I don't know who stumped on his behalf but his campaign would (presumably) be the one who knows who he wanted. He did not want, nor would it have been helpful, the sort of non-money assistance the RNC threw in. The RNC wanted to nationalize the race: you're voting for Republicans or you're voting for Democrats. He wanted to localize the race: you're voting for that Brownback-supporting idiot, or you're voting for me, a reasonable local guy who is running to represent the district, not national Democrats. And that's exactly the best strategy to take in these deep-red districts.

Now, ironically, the only national politician I can think of that might have been helpful is Bernie. I don't knock him for not going there: I suspect he wasn't wanted because even a popular democrat would have reminded the voters that as much as they might like the guy, he was running as a democrat and democrats want to take your guns and abort your babies. But he certainly isn't under the control of the DNC.

It's ironic that when GOP governors like Brownback and Pense do a horrible job and crash their states economies into the ditch, their poll numbers go into the toilet and people really hate them... though not enough that they don't pretty much always win second terms...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

they control the government due to flaws in the american system allowing a minority party to take control of the government if its a rural party but still can't get a drat thing done?

hmm. sounds like the plan for the democrats, a majority party concentrated in urban areas that wants to do things when it controls government, to enact.

They got Gorsuch on the court which is all that really matters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

going centrist sure as hell doesn't. that's why we're in such dire straights!

I don't think policy has anything to do with why the Dems are in the situation they are in right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

see, this is a stupid post

like even under the most crazy of conspiracy beliefs, it's a really, really stupid post

lets imagine the dnc has no interest in policy. they don't care. they just want to get all those sweet centrist kickbacks

how do you get those? you get those by having a majority, so all the lobbyists have to bribe you. so your hypothetical dnc still wants thompson to win, they just thought he has no chance so why bother

i mean this is what i mean when i say that you are an idiot. it's not just that you have idiotic beliefs that contradict facts. its that your idiotic beliefs aren't even remotely consistent because the actual belief you have is just that all bad things are caused by ~evil centrists~

I think it's probably correct to assume that if the DNC or the DCCC aren't correctly allocating resources to win the most races, it's due to their incompetence, not their wanting to screw over undesirable candidates.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

yeah, you said some bs about they only wanted to run one test run and they weren't sure thompson could win, but oh they sure wish he could, and that they just happened to choose GA, with the candidate they were familiar with as the testing grounds to throw 8.3 million dollars at. that doesn't explain a lot though, cause 8.3m is a lot and thompson wanted a fraction of that and was told no by perez.

How much of that 8.3 is from the DNC and how much is from individual donors?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

see this is what i don't get

sure, assume the dnc has no ideology other than power for power's sake

how on earth does that lead you to "the dnc doesn't want to win an election that would get them closer to power"

The DNC has been completely had circles run around them by republicans in the last 10 years. That is the scandal, one of incompetence.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

You know what the single most effective thing in moving American discourse left on healthcare was? Obamacare. Because of Obamacare passing, even Republicans who secretly want to go back to the bad old days must give lip service to the idea that the government should secure heath care for everyone. Republicans attack Obamacare from the left. They argue that it has deductions that are too high and coverage that's too small. All true! But the effect has been what sunk the AHCA: that now it is accepted, by Republicans and Democrats alike, that it is the job of the government to secure good health care to everyone. Trying to go back to the old days had a whole 17% support and that was only about halfway back.

So for all of the damage it did to the Democratic party in 2010 and 2014, it got done what it set out to do. Getting compromise legislation passed worked. It still requires more work, but it worked.

I agree with this but that doesn't mean the ACA was handled well in 2009. It wasn't. They started negotiating from the GOP side of the field and that made the law worse and harder to defend.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

2006 worked pretty well because the 50-state strategy was sound, and this election indicates that Perez was bullshitting hard when he said he supported it. There's also every indication that the party leadership is falling back into its usual complacency, which bodes ill for 2018.

Even if 2018 is a wave and the dems take the house they are still going to lose most districts like Kansas 4.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Majorian posted:

Delve into that a bit, please. Explain to me why what she's saying is unreasonable.

It's just plain dumb to ignore the most popular political figure on the left in america if you're trying to be a left leaning party.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

They should sink those resources into Georgia because it's winnable. That's why it's getting $8m. Any analysis of those two races would say Georgia's the one that should get the lion's share of the money.

I agree they should have sunk $20k into Kansas, and I've said that a lot. But the national DNC didn't say they were cash-strapped, the local DNC did. I have not seen the facts to know if the request got from the Kansas DNC to the national DNC: either way is bad, but fixable and doesn't indicate to me that they hate the idea of winning in Kansas but that they undervalue the usefulness of unproven long-shot candidates and they have poor links between the state and national parties that is already a priority to fix.

So you ask what the reason is: the reason is (a) the DNC undervalued the cost/benefit of throwing $20k at what was (at the time) a very long-shot candidate and/or (b) the national DNC didn't even get the request. Neither is good. Both need to be fixed. But both are easily understandable reasons that make much more sense than the DNC just hates Thompson because he's not as well connected.

I also don't know that the $8m is from the DNC as opposed to the total amount of money Ossof raised. Obviously it's very different if most of that $8m is private donations, not DNC money.

There is zero chance the DNC is spending 8 million dollars on one congressional race. The vast majority of it has to be private donations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I think you underestimate how easy it is to get inundated with a specific narrative when literally every single person you know personally shares and supports that narrative.

Think of it this way - if political views were solely the result of someone being born with a "dumb and/or evil" gene you'd see people with such views uniformly distributed throughout the country, but instead we see more people with dumb views in more rural areas, which implies that a person's environment and upbringing contribute greatly to the views they end up having. Obviously on an individual level this isn't universal, but it's an obvious trend and I think it's a pretty dangerous mindset to just say "welp these people are just intrinsically more evil and dumb than I am."

I mean, if you think about this for more than a minute it should be really obvious that "conservatives are intrinsically lovely bad people" is loving stupid and that (when looking at general populations) people are a product of their environment.

Another element to this is that I find a lot of liberals attribute way too much intelligence to your average Democratic voter. Like, they think that the average Democrat is voting because they also have good, well-informed opinions, when in reality most people, Democrat or Republican, just vote based upon what their environment (people, media they're exposed to, etc) informs them is the "correct" choice. Most Democrats would be just like Republicans if they were exposed to the same environment and experiences, they are not some sort of intelligence ubermensch.

The results of the 2016 democratic primary prove this to be true. People vote for what they know.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

this was real evident during the election and it was p disgusting. the centrists were all more interested in picking someone who would "drive republicans crazy" than actually help people.

That isn't how democrats think and it's not why Hillary Clinton won the primary.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Majorian posted:

To underline how obvious it is that the DCCC needs to, you know, learn the right lessons from this, I would like to point out that noted ultra-radical-leftist Matt Yglesias is saying that the Dems really need to back a proper 50-state strategy:

Let that sink in for a moment. Matthew loving Yglesias is on the "should have supported Thompson" train.

When Yglesias is quicker on the uptake of a lesson from an election than the DCCC, or indeed, many posters in this thread, that's a problem.

e: A related Vox piece that also gets it better than the DCCC:

Once again - if Vox writers are more clued-in on the implications of these special elections than the DCCC, that is a problem for the Democrats.

Clyburn is almost 80 years old and Pelosi put him in charge. It's really time for new leadership.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

dont even fink about it posted:

She is right. Obama's "ground game" was infinitely better.

Right again.

Campaign staff--clearly not a very good staff--playing the blame game, rephrased as prose.

"Hillary made us feel bad!" :cry:

Hillary deserves blame for not firing them and doing a radical restructure when they let a one-issue candidate with no chance of victory hang around for months. They were generally taking entire constituencies for granted.

She has always hired lovely people her entire career.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

Ossoff will get 45 or 46% tomorrow and then lose the runoff by a hair or two.

I think it's possible for him to win the runoff... Karen Handle is a real nut.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

axeil posted:

Eh the reason I'm still one of those scary ~*centrist*~ boogeymen is because I'm more worried if we go for big sweeping reform all at once the country will literally fall into fascism. I mean, if the little incremental changes of Obamacare and actually regulating business/the environment caused this, what would happen if the status quo was attacked even more fiercely?

I admit this is a position that comes from economic privilege and it has 0 appeal to someone who is getting poo poo on for minimum wage. At the same time, you can get people in my cohort to support lefty stuff like a $15 minimum (which I support) if the left drops the "and we will drink the blood of the bourgeois" crap. It's the unfortunate reality of politics. Us centrists don't have enough on our own and we agree with the leftists on most stuff but the rhetoric can get a bit extreme which makes the "fairly well off suburban white dude" demographic nervous, but at the same time the leftists are pissed (rightly) and want real change and find people like me arguing about rhetoric insulting.

I dunno. I think it's helpful to understand where and why people think what they think and focus on common grounds. To that end let's just remember to be excellent to each other, impeach Donald Trump and have our ideological knife fight after the greater evil is destroyed.

Eh, I mean even going back to his PECOTA days he's always been a big advocate for baking more error into your model, especially on things where there just isn't a lot of history (like presidential elections).

But yes, those articles look really, really dumb in retrospect.

What we learned from Obamacare is that the enemies of expanding the social safety net will call even modest reforms radical, might as well go big or go home. There is no political benefit to restraint.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/politico/status/864583752026120192

Democrats are a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Not sure how much this matters but Tom Perez is such an absolutely miserable communicator. He was on Meet the Press and couldn't put together a coherent sentence.

• Locked thread