Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also what's the deal with the original 5 now?

They went back to the past and their past selves...were still there and nothing was wrong. It seems like in fixing up reality post Secret Wars, everything was patched up timeline-wise so the X-Men never left. So now the original five are just some weird time/reality remnant that are living in the present and in no way affect the future lives of any X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tato posted:

They went back to the past and their past selves...were still there and nothing was wrong. It seems like in fixing up reality post Secret Wars, everything was patched up timeline-wise so the X-Men never left. So now the original five are just some weird time/reality remnant that are living in the present and in no way affect the future lives of any X-Men.

That sorta makes sense, really Doom's time platform is the only method of time travel that let's you get back home to your own time line with the changes intact, hence Ben Grimm canonically being Black Beard.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

bobkatt013 posted:

Did you get all the ones by Alan Davis? His run finishes up claremonts subplots and is Fucken awesome. How is the Ellis stuff?

I just went through the Ellis stuff a couple of days ago. The last couple of issues are kind of mediocre, but it's quite good overall. He's got a really good handle on all of the characters for coming into a book 80-odd issues in.

The worst part, honestly, is that the first issue of his run opens with a Bill Sienkiewicz cover and first page, and then the rest of the issue is I don't even know, who cares, it ain't Bill Sienkiewicz.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

The worst part, honestly, is that the first issue of his run opens with a Bill Sienkiewicz cover and first page, and then the rest of the issue is I don't even know, who cares, it ain't Bill Sienkiewicz.
Ha! That always bugged me too​. I did like Derick Gross' art overall, tho.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So what's the next series chronologically after Uncanny volume 3?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The current one. Uncanny X-Men Volume 4 (2016-present)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Heathen posted:

That covers all the stuff from Death of X and Inhumans vs. X-Men until the "reboot" with X-Men Blue and Gold?

Wow. I'm just surprised I've gotten caught up so quickly. Expected another 20 issues of something before I got to this point.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

You want to read all the X-titles chronologically after Uncanny X-Men #600? You want Extraordinary X-Men, Uncanny X-Men Volume 4 and All New X-Men Volume 2.

Here's a reading order:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/comments/547m87/beginners_guide_to_reading_xmen/

Skip down to The X-Men in Limbo & the Inhuman Conflict (2015-present)

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

pubic works project posted:

That covers all the stuff from Death of X and Inhumans vs. X-Men until the "reboot" with X-Men Blue and Gold?

Wow. I'm just surprised I've gotten caught up so quickly. Expected another 20 issues of something before I got to this point.

Did you read Magneto? It might help inform your reading of Uncanny v4, and more importantly, is better than any of the main X-Books immediately before and after it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Awesome! Thanks guys!

I haven't read Magneto aside from issue 1. I'll add it to the list!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heathen posted:

I guess that would be 2016-2017 now since it's no longer active.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

I guess that would be 2016-2017 now since it's no longer active.

There are so many cancelled or relaunched books that are still listed in Unlimited as 201X-present. They need to do some cleanup on dates, all the Secret Wars minis are 2015-present, as are both recent Howard The Duck series, which are both cancelled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay so Marvel announced DICK at C2E2 and I wanted to find out what was up. So I hit up all my fellow retail friends that are more deeply connected than I am. The word is the huge black eye X-Men Gold #1 gave them made everyone up the chain a little worried so they have slowed down the new title rollout. We probably won't see additional X-Men books announced until SDCC and NYCC.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tato posted:

Nice.

Are they taking turns punching old Beast in the gut?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That sounds more like an assumption on their part than anything else. Because I'm pretty sure nobody really blamed Marvel for what happened. And besides that the reception to the actual books themselves has been really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

That sounds more like an assumption on their part than anything else. Because I'm pretty sure nobody really blamed Marvel for what happened. And besides that the reception to the actual books themselves has been really good.

Yeah, it sounds like they are over reacting but I can understand them wanting to play it safe.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

There are so many cancelled or relaunched books that are still listed in Unlimited as 201X-present. They need to do some cleanup on dates, all the Secret Wars minis are 2015-present, as are both recent Howard The Duck series, which are both cancelled.

That's nothing. I'm reading Journey Into Mystery on Marvel Unlimited before catching up with Jason Aaron's Thor. It' listed as until present as well.

Journey Into Mystery (2011 - Present)
The last issue is #655, Added to Marvel Unlimited February 03, 2014.

IUG fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 26, 2017

Gymer
May 30, 2012
Just saw unlettered preview of Astonishing and I haven't been following Uncanny Avengers, is Rogue back to being unable to touch people again?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gymer posted:

Just saw unlettered preview of Astonishing and I haven't been following Uncanny Avengers, is Rogue back to being unable to touch people again?

She has been for all of Uncanny, so I guess it happened before that.

If this preview is anything to go by I'm going to end up loving the Jean Grey comic.

http://www.cbr.com/jean-grey-1/

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

X-O posted:

She has been for all of Uncanny, so I guess it happened before that.

If this preview is anything to go by I'm going to end up loving the Jean Grey comic.

http://www.cbr.com/jean-grey-1/

That preview does not inspire me at all. I hate that there are a bunch of BAMFs that teleport people all over the place, and here it's all so the writer can work in a reference to eating ramen in Japan, which is just nerd trendy. Then sudden oh haha there's the wrecking crew ruining her lunch, who is she, Spider-Man? It's just so loving contrived. Even her inner monologue about not wanting to be that 'other' Jean comes off as uninspired. Oh and she has four 'brothers' and brothers are by definition awful but hers have super powers so they're super awful.

I think I just vomitted in my mouth. Marvel has not been clicking for me outside of a few comics and the X-Men series has been plagued by this kiddie-teen bullshit since Wolverine split from Cyclops. I guess I had my day of grim-dark Cyclops saving the Earth and now it's time to have more wacky adventures and ponder the meaning of adolescence, but I'm done with this poo poo. 80's New Mutants had more of an edge than this crap.

It feels like all these writers are writing to get jobs scripting the next animated series so nothing loving matters, and it's all just "Haha, look at how fun our comic is!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's plenty of other companies writing grim dark books so if that's what you're looking for you're in the wrong place. The series is about a younger Jean trying to escape that kind of future. It's just not for you dude.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

X-O posted:

There's plenty of other companies writing grim dark books so if that's what you're looking for you're in the wrong place. The series is about a younger Jean trying to escape that kind of future. It's just not for you dude.

Well I don't want to read other companies. I want to read about X-Men stories where the stakes actually feel like they matter. I would totally read a book about a character that wants to escape a potential evil future self, like Evan or Iron Lad. Jean Grey still bears the taint of Bendis poor writing of her so I don't care as much and the writing was so juvenile that I care even less if the exposition is going to just be slapped in my face before we have a random brawl for the sake of having action in the comic.

edit: Even the dark stuff, like Psylocke "killing" Magneto is falling flat, so it's not even that they are telling all kiddie stories but the ones that are more adult are so poorly executed and fail to have any significant meaning. Maybe it's retcon fatigue.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 28, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Am I in the Rottentomatoes comment section for a DCEU movie?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 28, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Marvel might have to come up with another couple of go-to villain teams at this point. The Wrecking Crew just got beaten half to death and arrested by Doom in Infamous Iron Man and now they're randomly causing problems in Japan. I think the Wrecker's started franchising.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

PaybackJack posted:

That preview does not inspire me at all. I hate that there are a bunch of BAMFs that teleport people all over the place, and here it's all so the writer can work in a reference to eating ramen in Japan, which is just nerd trendy. Then sudden oh haha there's the wrecking crew ruining her lunch, who is she, Spider-Man? It's just so loving contrived. Even her inner monologue about not wanting to be that 'other' Jean comes off as uninspired. Oh and she has four 'brothers' and brothers are by definition awful but hers have super powers so they're super awful.

I think I just vomitted in my mouth. Marvel has not been clicking for me outside of a few comics and the X-Men series has been plagued by this kiddie-teen bullshit since Wolverine split from Cyclops. I guess I had my day of grim-dark Cyclops saving the Earth and now it's time to have more wacky adventures and ponder the meaning of adolescence, but I'm done with this poo poo. 80's New Mutants had more of an edge than this crap.

It feels like all these writers are writing to get jobs scripting the next animated series so nothing loving matters, and it's all just "Haha, look at how fun our comic is!"

You care so much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I also hate when comics are fun.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I also hate when comics are fun.

You can do fun in a way that's not fluff. I love New Wasp, and Squirrel Girl.This was just superficial and callow. It's like the paint by numbers version of how to write an X-Men comic.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I mean, I like those books too but they are fluffy as all get out...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Dreqqus posted:

I mean, I like those books too but they are fluffy as all get out...

Fluff in the sense of being generic. I can't think of the word I want to use but this feels very...entry level, base line, unambitious writing. Like the writer is going down a checklist of comic tropes.

In the case of the Wasp, the writer has a really good voice for her that allows her personality to shine through. Similarly Squirrel Girl has a good handle on the comedy beats. Here it's just writing exposition into thought bubbles rather than giving her a voice. She's talking about herself rather than in a way that doesn't create any sort of voice for the character, and nor is it written in a way that even sounds remotely like anyone thinks.

Those other books are at least trying to stand out, if Wasp's character wasn't endearing or the humor of Squirrel Girl wasn't funny then those books wouldn't be enjoyable to me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think I'll try the Jean Grey comic because Hopeless's spider-woman was fun

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Fluff in the sense of being generic. I can't think of the word I want to use but this feels very...entry level, base line, unambitious writing. Like the writer is going down a checklist of comic tropes.

In the case of the Wasp, the writer has a really good voice for her that allows her personality to shine through. Similarly Squirrel Girl has a good handle on the comedy beats. Here it's just writing exposition into thought bubbles rather than giving her a voice. She's talking about herself rather than in a way that doesn't create any sort of voice for the character, and nor is it written in a way that even sounds remotely like anyone thinks.

Those other books are at least trying to stand out, if Wasp's character wasn't endearing or the humor of Squirrel Girl wasn't funny then those books wouldn't be enjoyable to me.

The Marvel model is now "Make more Ms. Marvel or Squirrel Girl". Those comics have been rendered generic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So you got a complete read of the book after 4 pages?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Aphrodite posted:

The Marvel model is now "Make more Ms. Marvel or Squirrel Girl". Those comics have been rendered generic.

This is why I was actually kind of alright with She-Hulk being a non-comedy book for once (After I read the first issue, I was very stubborn about hating the book before I'd read it). Don't get me wrong, I still vastly liked her as the 4th wall breaker comedy character. But the simple fact is that Marvel's design output for most female characters ('Scept Thor and Carol, who's outputs are Badass and Roman Reigns respectively) is just "Make em cute and zany. People eat that poo poo up." meant that She-Hulk was immediately more of a standout.

EDIT: My main problem is also that they aren't as Cute and Zany as Marvel Adventures which was so much better.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I wasn't at all a fan of "I'm not THIS character or THIS character or THIS character" or any of that author-talking-to-the-reader nonsense, but Jean Grey as a character is a minefield of baggage as far as the average reader knows and Marvel desperately needs some help for Kamala in the "successful female hero" stakes so I'm allright with giving it the benefit of the doubt.

The Wrecking Crew randomly showing up in Kyoto was incredibly eye-rolling though.

quote:

So you got a complete read of the book after 4 pages?

Oh stop this. You mean after the preview they released? Come on now.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Just read X-Men Gold #4, and I just wanted to pop in and say that, even without the controversy, I vastly prefer the new artist, RB Silva, to Syaf. Hope he sticks around for awhile.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
New guy reminds me a lot of Stuart Immonen. Never a bad thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just read X-Men Blue #4. Loved it. Very cool seeing a bunch of the Ultimate Mutants survived. Especially like seeing Derek Morgan there as he was another 1610 original I liked. Very surprised to see Ultimate Quicksilver survived.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Ha, Jean Grey very quickly shot up to my "#1 X-Book" slot with this issue. And the next one, well the next one should be pretty good too.

Also I hope these guys stick around as supporting cast. This issue kinda inadvertently put together my favourite X-Men team in a while.
e: Wasn't Hope in a coma the last time we saw her? Was that ever wrapped up somewhere? Also this issue nailed her personality as Cable Jr. perfectly in a way I don't think any other book has since the Cable solo that shoulda been called Cable & Hope.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 26, 2017

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah, I have to say I enjoyed Hope in that issue. I'd like to see her in a lot more things if they can keep that characterization. Kind of a bummer as that Cable/Hope series was really fun and she's just fallen by the wayside since then.

I've enjoyed everything in the X-Relaunch so far, some more than others, but I've been shocked by enjoying the "old" X-Men stuff the most. My rankings so far:
1. X-Men Blue
2. Jean Grey
3. Weapon X
4. Generation X
5. X-Men Gold

I dunno. Something about Gold just hasn't grabbed me at all yet. Seems so inconsequential, the other books have jumped hard into interesting stories right away (well, not Gen X, but it only has 1 issue so far).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Diet Poison posted:

Ha, Jean Grey very quickly shot up to my "#1 X-Book" slot with this issue. And the next one, well the next one should be pretty good too.

Also I hope these guys stick around as supporting cast. This issue kinda inadvertently put together my favourite X-Men team in a while.
e: Wasn't Hope in a coma the last time we saw her? Was that ever wrapped up somewhere? Also this issue nailed her personality as Cable Jr. perfectly in a way I don't think any other book has since the Cable solo that shoulda been called Cable & Hope.

Yeah the coma thing was finished in X-force.