Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I loved that X-Force series, I feel like it never got much love but the whole story it set up with Cable having to clone himself constantly was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed the first issue of Cable despite it being 100% setup. But him jumping around time collecting weapons that shouldn't belong where they're at should be fun. My favorite Cable run was when he and Hope were traveling through time so I'm ready to see him jumping around again.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I'm on Unlimited time so forgive me if their absence is explained between now and six months ago, but is there a reason Idie and Evan are MIA?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Glad I chose Jean Grey over Generation X. With others on Blue being the better team boook.

Was that the first time Hope met Jean? Obviously when Hope first appeared Jean was long dead, but not since the most recent X-force as young Jean was around then.
And of Course Illyana's brain is way to hosed up for anyone want to go poking around in, even briefly.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

twistedmentat posted:

Glad I chose Jean Grey over Generation X. With others on Blue being the better team book.

Gen X was the one I was most looking forward to, but yeah, it's been rather mediocre so far. I really dislike the way Quentin is drawn.

Also, Jubilee's definitely still a vampire, right? She definitely was like two months ago in Hellcat. But she's spent two issues so far standing around in the sunlight like it's nobody's business.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Gen X was the one I was most looking forward to, but yeah, it's been rather mediocre so far. I really dislike the way Quentin is drawn.

Also, Jubilee's definitely still a vampire, right? She definitely was like two months ago in Hellcat. But she's spent two issues so far standing around in the sunlight like it's nobody's business.

Vampire Jubilee has some widget that protects her from sunlight I believe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rochallor posted:

She got a magical necklace a few years back that protects her from sunlight.

EDIT: And that's what you get for reading multiple threads in different tabs.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm digging GenX but the Aeon Fluxx art is not working for me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

I'm digging GenX but the Aeon Fluxx art is not working for me.

Yeah not a fan of the art and the roll back on the bit of maturity quier picked up in wolverine and the x-men is annoying.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Soonmot posted:

the roll back on the bit of maturity quier picked up in wolverine and the x-men is annoying.

I was trying to figure out why I wasn't crazy about it - and this pretty much nails it. Quire is passed all this nonsense already - it feels like a retread. Although it was nice seeing Broo again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was the old Quire.

He's dead now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I was sort of assuming that Quire is being performative, reestablishing the Quire "brand" for the new regime and all the new people. It's pure head-cannon on my part, but disproportionate pettiness is something I fondly associate with Quentin.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
no, I get that. But the way he acted in Thor was pretty much perfect. He did the right thing, but he let everyone knew how beneath him it was and how dumb they were to even try it without him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will never get the affection people have for that character, he was such a petty sociopathic gently caress up in his first few appearances I've just never been able to see the attraction.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

no, I get that. But the way he acted in Thor was pretty much perfect. He did the right thing, but he let everyone knew how beneath him it was and how dumb they were to even try it without him.

Well Jason Aaron has been writing him for years now. The new writer on this book is basically new to not only these characters but writing in general. I'd say if you're interested in the book then give her an arc or so to find her voice for the characters.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

I will never get the affection people have for that character, he was such a petty sociopathic gently caress up in his first few appearances I've just never been able to see the attraction.

He got better.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mulva posted:

Forgot what thread this was, and thought we were talking about Damian Wayne.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

It helps that I don't like much of Morrison X-Men so I don't really remember it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't think it's his appearances in Morrison's run which people like about the character. I mean, he was hopped up on Kick and completely off the rails. It's his subsequent appearances, particularly Aaron's run on Wolverine and the X-Men.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Maybe it's just the fact that I started reading X-men during the weird Australian years, but I loved Quentin for the fact that when he tried to enter the Siege Perilous, it just spat him back out again.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 8, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Aarons Quentin is always the definitive for me. That first volume of Wolverine and the X-men is just so fantastic. Its too bad the second really screws the pooch.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Aarons Quentin is always the definitive for me. That first volume of Wolverine and the X-men is just so fantastic. Its too bad the second really screws the pooch.

I wanted to, but I couldn't bring myself to care anymore about that series after the Carnival/Circus arc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I just ignore the second volume. It was all bad.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm just popping in here to say that I like X-Men again and it is cool and good.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

redbackground posted:

I wanted to, but I couldn't bring myself to care anymore about that series after the Carnival/Circus arc.

Yeah, that carnival Arc came out of no where, and was aggressively bad. Which is unfortunate because the rest of the run is really good. I believe even the phoenix 5 event gave us crab whales!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Yeah, that carnival Arc came out of no where, and was aggressively bad. Which is unfortunate because the rest of the run is really good. I believe even the phoenix 5 event gave us crab whales!

There's a weird thing with X-men and circuses, but then half of Marvel's silver age characters were all carnies, so who knows?

I did like Kitty being really confused on why she was dressed like a cowgirl for most of the issue though.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

There's a weird thing with X-men and circuses, but then half of Marvel's silver age characters were all carnies, so who knows?

That's sort of funny, because I've never really thought too much about it, but now that you mention it I did find an issue of X-Men featuring Obnoxio the clown at a Half Price Books, and picked it up out of sheer curiosity.

Edit: This one

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think like Blob's first appearance was as part of a carnival of crime right?

And then after the new team gets introduced, Mesmero mind controls them all into circus freaks before they're kidnapped by Magneto for some ageplay.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 8, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kalli posted:

And then after the new team gets introduced, Mesmero mind controls them all into circus freaks before they're kidnapped by Magneto for some ageplay.

Yep, that was exactly what I was thinking of. I forgot about the Obnoxio issue though.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kalli posted:

I would love to have those posters in the background as actual posters.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I would love to have those posters in the background as actual posters.

Might wanna avoid the one with the phrasing "Black Devil".

HTH

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Speaking of Quentin Quire, how old is he supposed to be, anyway?

I ask because he kissed Idie during the hellfire Academy arc, and she's 14, and i had him pegged closer to 18, so you know, creepy. Of course the same arc had her dressed in leather dominatrix gear.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

He, and all the other characters of the Marvel universe, definitely has an age, yes. To try and tease out any more specificity is a road to madness.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Speaking of Quentin Quire, how old is he supposed to be, anyway?

I ask because he kissed Idie during the hellfire Academy arc, and she's 14, and i had him pegged closer to 18, so you know, creepy. Of course the same arc had her dressed in leather dominatrix gear.

I always assumed he was like sixteen. He looked a little older in his first appearance because he was drawn by Quitely.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Also, I guess he did spend several years as a being of pure energy, so that probably set him back some age-wise..

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have head cannon ages for a lot of people, like Scott, when he went nuts, was 38. Kitty is 25, the New Mutants are for a most part between 21-24, though Sam was 26. School kids were all 16-17, as are the time displaced X-men.

It is weird when the comics explicitly say someone age, like in the most recently Scarlet Witch series, she was said to be 26.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Poor, poor, inconsistently-drawn Anole. His whole thing was he had a bad case of one-big-arm for like a decade, then in Extraordinary X-Men Apocalypse Wars he got drat near burned to death and regenerated (off panel as part of a montage to show a year passing) into a jacked lizard-man badass who was like 8 ft tall. Then with no explanation, post-Apocalypse Wars, still in Extraordinary, he was a head shorter than Glob again. Still though, he was built like a teenage superhero, up through the end of the title. Now he shows up in Gold #5, scrawny as me, wearing a drat long-sleeved sweater implying he's not even covered in spikes anymore. Fuckin' no respect for one-half of Marvel's preeminent mutant crimefighting duo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Anole and Rockslide both deserve more respect, in the comics and out. I mean, they were full-fledged X-Men before that weird time-travel stuff from Apocalypse Wars and now they're back to just sort of hanging around.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Kalli posted:

The Magneto baby prison stuff is really, really weird and probably emblematic of the worst excesses of the Claremont years. Like, man could write a comic, but sometimes things got flat out wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Android Blues posted:

The Magneto baby prison stuff is really, really weird and probably emblematic of the worst excesses of the Claremont years. Like, man could write a comic, but sometimes things got flat out wonky.

You don't say.

Here's a chunk of that sequence minus the parts where you get flashbacks to Storm revealing she was raised as a thief:

End of #112

and then a few pages later...