Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wonder Man has been inside if my 3 favorite Marvel ladies; Rogue, Carol and Wanda. I am sensing a pattern here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

haitfais posted:

Pretty sure that's how most people would react to kissing Deadpool.

Hey now, I really like the Rogue/Wade romance.

twistedmentat posted:

Wonder Man has been inside if my 3 favorite Marvel ladies; Rogue, Carol and Wanda. I am sensing a pattern here.

Grosssssssss

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Did people get offended by House of M, or did that not count because it was an alternate reality? And are people really ignoring that evil mutants are always trying to oppress normal humans?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And who's in charge there and what their powerset is.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

To be fair, that's not an X-Book - and this isn't exactly high on the list of the problems with Secret Empire.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder if those are intentionally the Morrison era jackets.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I think that's pretty clear.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It even fits with the thread title. The last time the X-Men became super heroes again was after Morrison's run. Having a group in the more paramilitary outfits to contrast the spandex clad X-Men is a pretty smart idea.

What's the deal there? I haven't been reading any tie ins, but I've been enjoying the main series.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

I like how they look like Cyclops.
Cycops.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
no. Cyclops did nothing wrong, these guys are just dicks.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Soonmot posted:

no. Cyclops did nothing wrong, these guys are just dicks.

Cyclops Was Right

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Belatedly catching up with the latest X-Men: Blue and while I can usually take or leave the alternate reality bad guy crew thing, I can't deny the last page got me all "oh gently caress" at seeing what it was Jean found. Having gotten into the X-Men just before the Fall of the Mutants, seeing *that* particular fashion accessory presses all kinds of childhood trauma buttons.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Sentinel Red posted:

Belatedly catching up with the latest X-Men: Blue and while I can usually take or leave the alternate reality bad guy crew thing, I can't deny the last page got me all "oh gently caress" at seeing what it was Jean found. Having gotten into the X-Men just before the Fall of the Mutants, seeing *that* particular fashion accessory presses all kinds of childhood trauma buttons.

That's Malice right? It's been awhile since I've read that old X-Men/X-Factor stuff.

Also, are there two different Sinisters now? Mr. and Ms.? That's weird as hell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sinister clones the hell out of himself.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Sinister clones the hell out of himself.

Yeah I vaguely remember him dying and then finding out a way to survive in a lady (Ms. Sinister). But then I read the UXM and AvX stuff and saw that he was back and looking all Victorian-era. Oh well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sinister is literally made of continuity holes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just prior to the Phoenix coming back he'd cloned himself into an entire underground city of Sinisters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Just prior to the Phoenix coming back he'd cloned himself into an entire underground city of Sinisters.

He also killed and replaced Scott's press agent in a super cold move

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Weapons of Mutant Destruction doesn't seem that essential to the crossover between Weapon X/Hulk, but I enjoyed it just the same. The new Weapon X book continues to be one of the better X relaunches and I feel like this crossover might give the Cho Hulk series some actual direction, as it's felt kind of aimless of the past few months.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Fake Edit: I originally wrote this for another thread but this seemed a more appropriate place.

I just read Executioner's Song because it was on the weekly reading club on Marvel Unlimited, and loving Christ, how did anyone continue to care about X-Men in any capacity in the 90's? I literally don't know why anything in any of those issues happened aside from some foreshadowing that Scott and Jean are the parents of Cable (or maybe Stryfe). The best moment in the entire thing was the epilogue where Jubilee takes Professor X rollerblading because his legs work for a day.

There's literally a bit where Scott and Jean are escaping Stryfe, find a baby are told they have to kill the baby to escape and when they don't kill the baby and Stryfe is so confused that they wouldn't kill a baby he let's them go anyways and then they escape; to the surface of the moon. Except it's not the blue part of the moon where where you can breathe, it's the normal part of the moon where you die.

Are all of 90's X-Men this bad?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bro that is peak X-Men and it fuckin' ROCKED.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Now just imagine how hard it was for the guys like Peter David trying to tell coherent stories in X-Factor while still acting as random parts to X-Cutioner Songs/Fatal Attractions/Phalanx Covenants.

But Rhyno's right, that's peak 90s X-Men baby

Tato fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 25, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

What was the point of any of it? Cable (actually Stryfe) shoots Professor X in the head, except he doesn't die, but he's got the legacy virus and the New Mutants fight the X-Men because Cable is their leader and they lose. And then Mister Sinister kidnaps Scott and Jean and gives them to Stryfe and there's a bunch of fights between Sinister's goons and the X-Men and then Sinister says he'll save Prof. X's life, and then the poo poo with the baby and the moon I just mentioned happened. At the end it's mostly status quo except there's a scene where Gabit is a creeper on Rogue.

Oh gently caress, I haven't read a lot of Gambit comics, but what I have read makes it seem the only reason Gambit hasn't sexually assaulted Rogue is because he would likely die. Yes, Rogue has extra reasons for not wanting to be touched, but if Gambit talked to, say Storm, the way he talks to Rogue he'd be a loving Bananas Foster.

Seriously, why did any character do anything that they did in the comic?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That story took place when Cable was kind of an unknown and X-Force was seen as something of a terrorist group, and Cable was seen as leading the former New Mutants down the wrong path.

Stryfe thought himself to be the real Nathan Summers, and thought that Scott sent him away to the future to save his own life, when in reality Stryfe is the clone and Scott sent Nathan to the future because it was the only way to save him from the techno-organic virus. This is why Stryfe is loving with Scott and Jean, because he thought they were selfish for their actions, when it was actually selflessness.

This was also the first time in the comics we had confirmation that Cable was Scott's son.

Stryfe also tricked Sinister into opening something which he promised would contain the DNA of Scott and Jean's kid, which Sinister has always wanted, but it was actually the Legacy Virus.

X-Cutioner's Song was pretty much just set up to confirm the Cable is Nathan Summers theory, and Stryfe was Cable's clone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tato posted:

Now just imagine how hard it was for the guys like Peter David trying to tell coherent stories in X-Factor while still acting as random parts to X-Cutioner Songs/Fatal Attractions/Phalanx Covenants.

But Rhyno's right, that's peak 90s X-Men baby

It's better. During that crossover there is an issue if x-factor that did not have any members of X-factor in it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

That story took place when Cable was kind of an unknown and X-Force was seen as something of a terrorist group, and Cable was seen as leading the former New Mutants down the wrong path.

Stryfe thought himself to be the real Nathan Summers, and thought that Scott sent him away to the future to save his own life, when in reality Stryfe is the clone and Scott sent Nathan to the future because it was the only way to save him from the techno-organic virus. This is why Stryfe is loving with Scott and Jean, because he thought they were selfish for their actions, when it was actually selflessness.

This was also the first time in the comics we had confirmation that Cable was Scott's son.

Stryfe also tricked Sinister into opening something which he promised would contain the DNA of Scott and Jean's kid, which Sinister has always wanted, but it was actually the Legacy Virus.

X-Cutioner's Song was pretty much just set up to confirm the Cable is Nathan Summers theory, and Stryfe was Cable's clone.

This is all poo poo Chris Claremont could have done in 2 issues (3 if you count the obvious New Mutants cross over).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The X-Factor books were the best part of that crossover.

"Alright I know we're all badasses here so someone's going to get hurt in this fight. It's probably me."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-Cutioner's Song was great because the epilogue featured Jubilee taking Xavier rollerblading.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

X-Cutioner's Song was great because the epilogue featured Jubilee taking Xavier rollerblading.

Skwirl posted:

Fake Edit: I originally wrote this for another thread but this seemed a more appropriate place.

I just read Executioner's Song because it was on the weekly reading club on Marvel Unlimited, and loving Christ, how did anyone continue to care about X-Men in any capacity in the 90's? I literally don't know why anything in any of those issues happened aside from some foreshadowing that Scott and Jean are the parents of Cable (or maybe Stryfe).
The best moment in the entire thing was the epilogue where Jubilee takes Professor X rollerblading because his legs work for a day.

There's literally a bit where Scott and Jean are escaping Stryfe, find a baby are told they have to kill the baby to escape and when they don't kill the baby and Stryfe is so confused that they wouldn't kill a baby he let's them go anyways and then they escape; to the surface of the moon. Except it's not the blue part of the moon where where you can breathe, it's the normal part of the moon where you die.

Literally my entire thesis

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I remember liking X-Cutioner's song, but it was also one of the last X-Men crossovers I read for years and years so maybe I didn't like as much as I think I did?

Anyway I read Iceman #1 since Marvel gave it away for free. And it's great. So I'm pretty much buying every X-Book except Gen X and Weapon X at this point. I don't think I've ever liked this many X-Books being published at once. I still plan on reading Soule's book and if they drop a Peter David X-Factor book I'll be all over that as well.

So far Blue and Jean Grey are easily the best of the runs, but that's no knock on Gold, Iceman, or Cable at all. I really like this malfunctioning Super Sentinel story in Gold right now for instance where it's been attacking anyone with a genetic mutation at all no matter how small. You have a third nipple? A Super Sentinel is coming to kill you, sorry. It seems like such a no-brainer of a story that I have to wonder if it's ever been done before. Plus it put a bit of the spotlight on Rachel Summers and we even got her hallucinating Future Franklin which is the kind of callbacks I love.

All New Wolverine is still as great as it has been and I really liked the first issue of Old Man Logan with the new creative team as well. So all is good in the X-Men world as far as I'm concerned right now.

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 25, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Men Blue is really good. I just hope they add another female cast member to the team pretty soon. And please avoid another Scott/Jean/Wolverine love triangle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did say at a panel that Emma and Polaris are coming to X-Men Blue.

Emma probably wont be joining the team after her last appearance, but Polaris maybe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love PAD but after All Nee X-Factor it's probably time to let someone else take the reigns.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rhyno posted:

I started reading X-men comics as a kid approximately six months before X-cutioner's song dropped, and let me tell you, it was the best and most 90's thing that ever happened. I ended up getting subscriptions (remember those?) to every single x-book just to folow it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skwirl posted:

If you think of Inferno as the payoff of the previous 3-4 years of X-book plotlines, X-Cutioner's Song was the same with the post-Inferno status quo. If you're reading the event without also reading a bit of the stuff leading into it, you're not going to get much out of it and will find it dumb as hell. Same with Inferno, which I think we mostly agree was a good story and did a lot to wrap up the late 80s status quo.

I get that the 90s X-books has a rap for being very bad by the end, but the stuff from this era wasn't bad. It really didn't go off the rails until after Age of Apocalypse, and even then some of the stuff was very good (Generation X mostly)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was cleaning out my parent's attic and found a box of old cards which included all the trading cards that came with the Executioner's Song issues.

Synthbuttrange posted:

The X-Factor books were the best part of that crossover.

"Alright I know we're all badasses here so someone's going to get hurt in this fight. It's probably me."

The only part I remember from the X-Factor issues was when Wolfsbane mauled Feral, which led to the start of the mandated therapy issue which was pretty great.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

rkajdi posted:

I get that the 90s X-books has a rap for being very bad by the end, but the stuff from this era wasn't bad. It really didn't go off the rails until after Age of Apocalypse, and even then some of the stuff was very good (Generation X mostly)
Yeah, a lot of X-cutioner's song loses its punch after twenty years of Summers Family Tree related hijinx and seeing how much of it ended up fizzling out into pure poo poo. At the time, though "What the gently caress is Cable, what's his deal?" was THE question at the heart of X-men comics, to the point where you actually could successfully hang an entire cross-over event on it.

Basically, 90's X-men took Claremont's schtick of teasing out foreshadowing of upcoming events to the N-th level, but it didn't have Claremont's knack of actually paying anything off. So these days, we know that it's all sizzle, no steak, but at the time, it was pretty juicy sizzle.

Kalli posted:

The only part I remember from the X-Factor issues was when Wolfsbane mauled Feral, which led to the start of the mandated therapy issue which was pretty great.

That issue is still my favorite single issue comic that I own. Doesn't it also have the origin of Number One Fan?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Basically, 90's X-men took Claremont's schtick of teasing out foreshadowing of upcoming events to the N-th level, but it didn't have Claremont's knack of actually paying anything off. So these days, we know that it's all sizzle, no steak, but at the time, it was pretty juicy sizzle.
That issue is still my favorite single issue comic that I own. Doesn't it also have the origin of Number One Fan?

I think Number One Fan was in a different issue. This one was all in the heads of the characters. It's the ultimate talking heads issue, but I don't think you can really criticize it for the usual critiques that get lobbed at say Bendis. The one from the later PAD X-factor series was also pretty good, but I get the feeling that I was the only one who kept up with that book until it actually was cancelled.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That issue is still my favorite single issue comic that I own.

Is it the same one that has Quicksilver explaining why he's always so pissed off? If so, also one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jedi posted:

Is it the same one that has Quicksilver explaining why he's always so pissed off? If so, also one of my favorites.

Yeah it is, it's a great issue. Also has Strong Guy's pain reveal. Man that's a good issue.

Also the Number 1 Fan bit was right before the X-cutioners song issues, so like 4-5 issues before it. It was when they were dealing with the ship full of mutant refugees from Genosha after the whole X-tinction Agenda crossover.