Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Norns posted:

No, but that sounds like something I want to listen to!

I've read Morrison's New Mutants before and love it. I'll check out X-factor.

Morrison's run and the 90s cartoon was really all i had dipped into before this.

Morrison wrote New X-Men. He's talking about New Mutants written by Claremont (then some others) and running concurrently to Uncanny X-Men in the 80s. If you're going chronologically, it won't pick up for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My bad misread that

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

New Mutants starts around Uncanny #155 or so I think. X-Factor starts after Uncanny #201. It's worth reading them concurrently because they cross over a little bit (particularly New Mutants since Claremont wrote more than half the run of it).

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Norns posted:

No, but that sounds like something I want to listen to!

Here's the link : https://www.xplainthexmen.com

One word of warning for some audiences. Jay (one of the hosts) is really into the queer/feminist theory end of the X-Men, and sees a lot of the series through that. I think it's 100% justified in discussing but lots of comics fans are a bit more reactionary, and I'd rather have someone not bother than go in and get angry about people bringing politics into their funny books discussion. I'd also suggest skipping the first few episodes and going straight into the coverage of Giant-Sized #1 (The Retcon That Walks Like A Man) since the early stuff is covered in very broad strokes and IMO not nearly as good.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 6, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Nothing about that turns me off of it. Definitely going to give it a listen. Thanks for the recommendation.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Norns posted:

Nothing about that turns me off of it. Definitely going to give it a listen. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, I only brought it up because a guy I suggested it to got hyper mad after listening that I'd suggest some "SJW bullshit" to him disguised as a comics podcast. It was an eye-opener about him, but I guess half of the guys out there just want to read power fantasies and ignore any subtext. Especially with X-Men, I don't see how people can do this, given how much the Claremont especially pushed the limit as to what was publishable at the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of Queer Subtext, Rachael being totally into Nightcrawler, especially when Kitty is currently available. WTf! Unless they're preparing for Kitty/Illyana to become a textual thing and not a subtext.

Dark Phoenix gets a lot of love, but Brood Saga is also excellent, and also Claremont is why Carol Danvers is my favorite Super Hero. There issue featuring Her and Wolverine fighting Rogue was one of the first X-men comics I read as a kid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I listened to Jay & Miles for a long time and enjoyed them a lot, but I fell off at some point. I think around about the time they got to Mutant Massacre. I enjoyed their insight but thought they sometimes seemed almost too reverential of Claremont's work. I really liked the episode they did with Kurt Busiek as a guest which discussed the Silver Age team, because that was something they appreciated but weren't necessarily huge fans of.

Anyway, that's definitely on me; it's good podcast and definitely listen if you like the X-Men. I believe Miles has a Thor podcast now which I've been meaning to check out as well.

Edit: There's one episode where Jay interviews a guy who was a writer and producer for the X-Men '92 cartoon who also wrote the pitch bible for X-Men: Evolution, where he a) decides he needs to recap the entire history of X-Men (Jay - who obviously knows this all already - is polite but sounds incredibly bored); and b) keeps pronouncing "Claremont" as "Claremount" and it's really distracting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He also constantly refuses to take any credit for xmen evolution and seems to not actually want to discuss the show. It's weird.

Their Claremont interview is pretty fantastic though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, I only brought it up because a guy I suggested it to got hyper mad after listening that I'd suggest some "SJW bullshit" to him disguised as a comics podcast. It was an eye-opener about him, but I guess half of the guys out there just want to read power fantasies and ignore any subtext. Especially with X-Men, I don't see how people can do this, given how much the Claremont especially pushed the limit as to what was publishable at the time.

It's cool to find out people not to associate with anymore, at least.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Just listened to the first few episodes. I'm glad they found Sunfire as bombastic as I did. I didn't know I wanted a podcast companion for my X-Men read, but it seems to fit well.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

I listened to Jay & Miles for a long time and enjoyed them a lot, but I fell off at some point. I think around about the time they got to Mutant Massacre. I enjoyed their insight but thought they sometimes seemed almost too reverential of Claremont's work. I really liked the episode they did with Kurt Busiek as a guest which discussed the Silver Age team, because that was something they appreciated but weren't necessarily huge fans of.

See that's part of the interesting part to me. Claremont's X-Men is the best long run of any comic I can think of. I get that the sex fetish stuff is a huge hangup for some people in this forum, but TBQH I didn't notice it as a sex thing at all when I first read the run. I'm also sort of interested in seeing the podcast go over the reboot post-Muir Island, since that's where I picked up comics originally.

I will also say that on relistening I skip all the non-arc episodes except for the Busiek and Claremont interviews (everyone who likes comics should listen to the latter), as well as the couple of episodes with G. Willow Wilson on them. I'm a bit out of touch with modern X-Men (I think I haven't read an issue since the Apocalypse event) so a lot of that is way less interesting to me than the 80s and 90s stuff. And the spin-offs don't hold a lot of nostalgia for me, so I don't care much about any of the cartoons or movie episodes.

quote:

Anyway, that's definitely on me; it's good podcast and definitely listen if you like the X-Men. I believe Miles has a Thor podcast now which I've been meaning to check out as well.

I've been listening, and it's OK. Miles is much more of a fan and doesn't come in with the same kind of critical eye for the art that Jay usually has. I also never really have been into Thor much, so it's also comics that I don't have the attachment to. There is a lot of passion and effort put into the podcast, so if you really like the Simonson Thor stuff I'd suggest giving it a listen.

Endless Mike posted:

It's cool to find out people not to associate with anymore, at least.

Pretty much. It's been a problem that I've run into with a good number of people that I've gotten back in contact with in the last year or so. There are so many nerdy folks who have red pilled pretty hard, or are "balanced" meaning they just don't like non-cis white dudes being discussed in the hobby but don't yell slurs at them. Nerd hobbies have gotten oddly depressing since the whole gator fiasco made it acceptable to be an open bigot again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rkajdi posted:

See that's part of the interesting part to me. Claremont's X-Men is the best long run of any comic I can think of. I get that the sex fetish stuff is a huge hangup for some people in this forum, but TBQH I didn't notice it as a sex thing at all when I first read the run. I'm also sort of interested in seeing the podcast go over the reboot post-Muir Island, since that's where I picked up comics originally.

That's fair. My first encounter with Claremont was actually his second run on Uncanny (where he introduced the Neo, who weren't very interesting but were at least something other than "THE X-MEN AGAINST MAGNETO!" for the millionth time) and X-Treme X-Men, which I didn't really enjoy all that much at the time and, now that I have a fuller idea of his body of work for Marvel, think encapsulates most of his less glowing habits as a writer.

While I enjoy his classic run pretty much all the way through, and appreciate how important it was for Marvel and for superhero comics more generally, it doesn't mean as much to me as it does to a lot of folks for whom it's their formative experience of the X-Men, because I went into it associating Claremont with other versions of the X-Men which hadn't impressed me that much.

I agree that it's the best long run in superhero comics. What are the comparisons? I'll go with runs by a single writer that are 10 years or more off the top of my head, but which are also the defining runs in my mind. The closest comparison is Marv Wolfman on the New Teen Titans and its spin-offs, which he wrote for the same length of time as Claremont wrote X-Men - 16 years (Claremont: 1975-1991; Wolfman: 1980-1996). I like that but Claremont's X-Men is definitely better.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four is probably the best run ever.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

I agree that it's the best long run in superhero comics. What are the comparisons? I'll go with runs by a single writer that are 10 years or more off the top of my head, but which are also the defining runs in my mind. The closest comparison is Marv Wolfman on the New Teen Titans and its spin-offs, which he wrote for the same length of time as Claremont wrote X-Men - 16 years (Claremont: 1975-1991; Wolfman: 1980-1996). I like that but Claremont's X-Men is definitely better.

The other stuff I compare Claremont's stuff to are that Teen Titans run (which is almost as good early on and trails off very quickly), Peter David's Incredible Hulk (1989-1998), and Brian Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man (2000-currently, depending on how you consider the Mile Morales stuff). I like the latter two runs a lot, but neither is as competently plotted or as long as the Claremont stuff. The Hulk also has the disservice of sticking around a bit too long, since everything after the Pantheon arc is pretty forgettable IMO. There's also a very long arc of LOSH stuff, but that's more writing rotating through a few guys instead of one consistent vision.

Codependent Poster posted:

I know I'm committing sacrilege by saying this, but Lee and Kirby aren't even the best FF run ever. Hickman's stuff is much more well thought out, and doesn't suffer from the really bad silver age-isms that all of Stan Lee's writing has.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rkajdi posted:

There's also a very long arc of LOSH stuff, but that's more writing rotating through a few guys instead of one consistent vision.

Oh, yeah, Paul Levitz wrote the Legion for about nine years or so, didn't he? I think he only has one story (Great Darkness Saga) that's really distinguished, but that might be because he allegedly used his pull when he was publisher to bar any Legion issues he wrote from ever being reprinted or collected.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dan Slott on Spider-Man. :v:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know if it counts as a long run, but Hickman from Fantastic Four/FF to the end of Secret Wars was really good.

But that is off topic. I love the charachters in All New Wolverine, but feel enemy of the state's murder an entire town was cheap and felt un-earned by the writers. I'm workimg on Unlimited time so how long is the trigger scent story going to go?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, yeah, Paul Levitz wrote the Legion for about nine years or so, didn't he? I think he only has one story (Great Darkness Saga) that's really distinguished, but that might be because he allegedly used his pull when he was publisher to bar any Legion issues he wrote from ever being reprinted or collected.

I think there' a good amount of interspersed Keith Giffen issues in there. Having read a huge amount of that run, it's easily the best thing DC was doing at the time and I would suggest it to people who don't like DC's honestly rather schlocky writing on most of its capes books at the time. Really this comment could apply to most of DC's output up until I gave up on DC a year or so after New 52. There's some good in there, but the bad stuff is much more dire than the low end of Marvel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

First 100 issues of Spider-man

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

rkajdi posted:

Pretty much. It's been a problem that I've run into with a good number of people that I've gotten back in contact with in the last year or so. There are so many nerdy folks who have red pilled pretty hard, or are "balanced" meaning they just don't like non-cis white dudes being discussed in the hobby but don't yell slurs at them. Nerd hobbies have gotten oddly depressing since the whole gator fiasco made it acceptable to be an open bigot again.

Gator fiasco?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

plainswalker75 posted:

Gator fiasco?

Gamergater.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Ohhhhhhhhh. Ugh, yes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

For long runs, Otto Binder's Marvel Family work, across 12ish years and multiple titles, it's one of the best comics runs ever. His Superman work, spanning I don't know how many years (15-20?) probably had more influence on the pop culture archetype of superheroes, until at least the end of the 20th century, than any other single creator's work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squizzle posted:

For long runs, Otto Binder's Marvel Family work, across 12ish years and multiple titles, it's one of the best comics runs ever. His Superman work, spanning I don't know how many years (15-20?) probably had more influence on the pop culture archetype of superheroes, until at least the end of the 20th century, than any other single creator's work.

I'd say Lee/Kirby F4 is more influential since it basically introduced the idea that super heroes could have personalities and conflicts separate from fighting villains.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jonny Nox posted:

But that is off topic. I love the charachters in All New Wolverine, but feel enemy of the state's murder an entire town was cheap and felt un-earned by the writers. I'm workimg on Unlimited time so how long is the trigger scent story going to go?

The trigger scent is the focus of the story arc but it gets resolved in a good way. Ending spoilers if you want them: they remove her sensitivity to the trigger scent entirely.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nuns with Guns posted:

The trigger scent is the focus of the story arc but it gets resolved in a good way. Ending spoilers if you want them: they remove her sensitivity to the trigger scent entirely.

Which is good. Can't wait until someone reverses it. Just like how they reversed "All the trigger scent has been destroyed."

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Am I the only one who hates how Logan is called Old Man Logan now? Like Old Man is his first name and Logan is his last? Its like Marvel has to call him Old Man Logan to keep the trademark alive or something. It's dumb and annoying. Just call him and his book Logan.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

pubic works project posted:

Am I the only one who hates how Logan is called Old Man Logan now? Like Old Man is his first name and Logan is his last? Its like Marvel has to call him Old Man Logan to keep the trademark alive or something. It's dumb and annoying. Just call him and his book Logan.

I don't necessarily mind that his book is called "Old Man Logan", but it seriously annoys me when characters in-universe refer to him that way.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So, thoughts on the last page of Astonishing X-Men #1?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Roth posted:

Eh? I mean, it's far from the most stupid or outlandish things to have happened in an X-Book. It's not even the most stupid thing to have been done with Professor X after his death. I'm willing to withhold judgement for at least another issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The return of that character was rumored to be the plot of the RESURREXTION mini series before they retooled it into an event branding.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Roth posted:

I'm shocked it took this long. gently caress it, pull the trigger.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
so yeah, they're having Emma attempt to turn teenage scott into adult scott, complete with him loving her. What the gently caress?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Is Claremont writing again?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That wasn't Claremonts MO.

Hell it doesn't even involve Storm

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Soonmot posted:

so yeah, they're having Emma attempt to turn teenage scott into adult scott, complete with him loving her. What the gently caress?

I skimmed through the first issue of the Secret Empire crossover and decided to wait it out before picking up Blue again. Good to know that was the right decision.

Everything that's been mentioned here about New Tian sounds dumb as poo poo and I hope there's an immediate reset after this dumb crossover is finally over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grief makes telepaths go insane. It's almost canon at this point.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Men: Blue was good because Polaris is back in her best costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

The return of that character was rumored to be the plot of the RESURREXTION mini series before they retooled it into an event branding.

Sooooooooooooooo....is Xavier gonna hop in like a brain-dead twin body like in the movies? "I didn't just have a sister, Cassandra Nova. I had a brother too!!"