Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

irlZaphod posted:

There's an Excalibur sale on Comixology so last night I bought the first 25 or so issues of it, RIP my wallet this month.

Did you get all the ones by Alan Davis? His run finishes up claremonts subplots and is Fucken awesome. How is the Ellis stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So you got a complete read of the book after 4 pages?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Ha, Jean Grey very quickly shot up to my "#1 X-Book" slot with this issue. And the next one, well the next one should be pretty good too.

Also I hope these guys stick around as supporting cast. This issue kinda inadvertently put together my favourite X-Men team in a while.
e: Wasn't Hope in a coma the last time we saw her? Was that ever wrapped up somewhere? Also this issue nailed her personality as Cable Jr. perfectly in a way I don't think any other book has since the Cable solo that shoulda been called Cable & Hope.

Yeah the coma thing was finished in X-force.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Just prior to the Phoenix coming back he'd cloned himself into an entire underground city of Sinisters.

He also killed and replaced Scott's press agent in a super cold move

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tato posted:

Now just imagine how hard it was for the guys like Peter David trying to tell coherent stories in X-Factor while still acting as random parts to X-Cutioner Songs/Fatal Attractions/Phalanx Covenants.

But Rhyno's right, that's peak 90s X-Men baby

It's better. During that crossover there is an issue if x-factor that did not have any members of X-factor in it

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four is probably the best run ever.

First 100 issues of Spider-man

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rick posted:

Xavier already has another body that as far as I can tell they never did anything with. His body at death was a clone that the Shi'Ar made for him and it's never mentioned what happened to his original body. And that body would be sick and also World War 2 old so they could kill him off again in the next event and start this all over again.

The brood destroyed it

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rochallor posted:

I feel like you get some bits of that in Morrison's run, too. It's been building for a while, it's just that it's usually been tempered with his more laid-back side.

I do really like Hank as just a complete failure of a human being, and I'm kind of disappointed they seem to be pulling back from that post-IvX.

The last storyline of Morrison was Hank deciding to take sublime and loving everything up

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Firstborn posted:

I read some Gold today, and really wish Gambit was in more things. Is he any good in Astonishing? Any other recent appearances? Last thing I read about him was like the 2012 solo series.

Fake edit: Actually last thing I read was Deadpool v Gambit

X-23

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Firstborn posted:

Is that the vol 2 series? 3? What issues should I look for?

The one from 2010 and starting from issue 4

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

davebo posted:

I've been going nuts buying back-issues filling in some gaps, then gradually going farther and farther back. I've now got an entire Uncanny #147-330 run, plus the two Days of Future past issues, a few raggedy random issues before that and a CGC graded 8.5 Giant Size X-Men #1. Please send help.

I have been reading all uncanny and just finished chuck Austen's run. Holy poo poo was it bad

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Pretty sure none of these deaths in the Mojo event are sticking now that he offed Angel and seemingly young Bobby.

The dead are also seen on future covers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedi posted:

It's pretty terrible, except for his characterization of Juggernaut. The whole Juggernaut/Sammy thing was really well done.

Including the banging of she hulk?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Well then allow me to be the first you hear of it. More "representation" bullshit because the AU fakepeople immigrating into our good honest real world aren't buying comics at the same rate as good honest realworlders. Maybe I'd buy more comics if all my TAXES weren't going into the pocket of some rear end in a top hat named Ultimate Todd who won't shut up about how much of a better job President Marilyn Manson was doing back where he came from.

Um, seriously though, to hell with Jimmy. I'll allow that the "So you're my father from an alternate future universe?" "Yep" "Hm." panels from one of the recent Mojo Worldwide issues made me laugh, but that's it. Speaking of which, what a *long, drawn-out fart noise* story that's been so far. Each page could just be captioned "Member this?" It also drives me nuts how my favorite bros Rockslide and Anole keep showing up in the background in Gold just to remind me they're there but not really doing anything.

Whoo, that was a really negative post. Somebody get me the new issue of Wolverine. Dying to find out what codename Gabby eventually picks. Wonder if it's gonna be Talon, like they hinted at Laura taking before they realized they should stick with something copyrightable (I guess?).

It's an usual mojo story aka awful

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I always felt Logans obsession with Jean was super creepy and not cool. Like even loving Hawkeye got over Wanda eventually, but its seen as some tragic romance, even thought its really clear Jean wants to be with Scott and that's that. They at least let Scott have other relationships, let Jean have some. Maybe she can date like, I dunno, Sam Wilson or Hercules.

And yea, I'm down with that Jean outfit. It's retro enough to let me forgive some of the sillyness. Though on the other hand, I have zero interest in Jean returning, i'm enjoying young Jean too much.

Hercules belongs with Wolverine

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I hope this does not mean all new wolverine is getting cancelled

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

rantmo posted:

Gambit and Adam X, the X-Treme.

Gambit is a clone of sinister

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Storm and Callisto have had weird on-off sexual tension for like decades, too. So I guess Callisto?

e: although to be clear, Callisto is definitely gay.

It’s not like there has ever been a panel of storm, Callisto, and Yukio in hot tub together

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

They are lasers and cyclops did 9/11

I thought it was juggernaut and the webbed menace helped him!!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps I meant a bold move in the same way in Dodgeball Pepper means a bold strategy.

And since we're on the terrible, awful, no good very bad Austen run, do we mention She Lies With Angels or just keep trying to shovel dirt over it where it belongs? Yeah, silly question.

Right on top of it’s misspelled grave and talk about how much we wished we could have banged it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

So how are the X-Mans now? Last news I heard was that Jean let go of the Phoenix... now I hear stuff that old Cable is dead/replaced? Are the comics good now?

X-men red is amazing

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-men red is too good for the world

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, X-Men Red was pretty :black101: for an issue where not much of anything happened. Though it does line up very awkwardly with what's going on in Avengers at the moment.

It says that it takes place before avengers 700

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly everybody who came to the Society already had their gimmick, so it's more like Sidewinder hit upon an untapped market. The untapped market being the unionization of snake-themed supervillains.

They also knew not to invite viper as once she got involved she went back to global domination.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Out of all comics, of course not, but I think for one of the three main X-Men team books in 2002 (?) you could argue that it was pushing the envelope at least a little bit for what you could put in a mainstream superhero comic from a Big Two publisher. At the end of the day, this is the story that had a panel of Storm chained up naked in a dungeon with a bit between her teeth while a mutant in a leather bodice is straddling her from behind using her ability to cause pleasure so intense it becomes painful on her.

How could you forget this is the same time as Chuck Austin’s crime of an x-men run. How

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

And she lives in a sewer by choice? The Morlocks are really badly conceived in general, given the time period they were created they should have been in a Brooklyn tenement

Why? They were mostly disfigured monsters and if people saw them they would be killed

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought that was after it; I though Joe Casey was on Uncanny then.

Looking it up it came out in February 2004 at the same time as the end of Morrison’s run and it came the month after the Draco and the same time as the she hulk doing the nasty with Juggernaut

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nothing in uncanny really grabbed me and the uncanny team looks boring (writer,artist,cast) I hope there will be another book announced with characters like rockslide and co. They are a focus so either it’s going to spin off into something or they are all going to be killed. Right now the only x titles worth anything are red and gambit/rogue

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Aw! wait what

The grave also has misspelled his name

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'd have had no problems with killing Cassandra, but this is probably a better punishment.

So when Kitty and Ben has a Hanukkah, does Magneto get invited?

There was a special a couple of years ago about them going to a Chinese buffet and he was not there but moon knight and songbird were!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Sounds like Uncanny is ending for a bit while Hickman works his magic.

Looks like all or most mutant titles are ending

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

EXTERNALS.

Will they be princes of the universe?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

The difference there is (and I can't believe I'm having to offer a defence to what is probably going to be a terrible story.)

The Cure (from Whedon/X3) was just that. A cure.
Something that if you were a mutant you would volunteer to take so as to remove your power.
It maybe offers a parallel with closeted gay people going to conversion therapies/ camps to "pray the gay away". but it can be shown as something that there is a choice in.

This sounds more like a vaccine where its given to children before they develop mutant powers to take them away.

The big difference is, a mutant cure has the obvious story elements of conflict.
On the one hand (if mutants are viewed as a stand in for minorities) what do we have to cure. There's nothing wrong with us.
On the flip side if you had a mutant with some awful power (like Cloudkill Boy)the idea of a cure is very enticing.

The mutant vaccine story doesn't have as obvious a conflict (the conflict doesn't come from the person who takes the vaccine, it's from their parents in whether to administer it.)
It's a lesser conflict since the child doesn't have mutant powers and isn't really a character more a plot element.

And that's before we get to the real fact that people choosing to not vaccinate children for spurious reasons is costing lives. Having a story where there is a really good reason not to vaccinate your mutant kid just supports them.
This sounds like a bad idea and it is smelly.

The vaccine is also mandatory.
However grand design was really good and the age of x-man was also so much better than uncanny.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

gently caress, Adams even made that goofy headpiece look excellent.

Adams art is still amazing it’s just too bad he is a complete lunatic. However everyone should read/suffer through his recent Batman saga

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Of course he’s a lunatic. He still remembers every word to the Bucky O’Hare theme song.

And hollow earth

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

God after reading war of realms x-man tie in all I can think is - can Hickman’s run start now? Also no way will the events of this issue stick

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

He had his head removed he will be better

The death in this weeks issue is even more hilarious since there is no way Hickman is going to keep him dead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

radlum posted:

I enjoyed Prisoner X; I think it was the best of the Age of X-Man books, though Dani being there still confuses me. I mean, I wouldn't put it past Rosenberg's crap to use her on Uncanny despite being on Age of X-Man, but I guess there must be more to that than just a lazy editor and a bad writer.

I assume it will be Dani in Age of x-man is false and made by Nate since they dated

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The most important run to read is chuck Austin’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Xavier’s whole relationship with Gabriel is super hosed up as she was his patient and then decided to date her.