Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Do we know anything about this Doug guy and why he infected Krakoa with something or other? Or what the infection does beyond maybe that one page describing a No-Place flower creating a Krakoan tumor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Why, of all people in the world, would they turn to Mr. Sinister to handle their mutant genetic program? Especially when, during the five minutes they were there, they've already witnessed an immediate, violent change in leadership and no one finds it at all remarkable.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I just... the mutant-gene Sinister blows away the King Sinister just out of nowhere, and the rest of the court doesn't even react, like this poo poo happens every other day. He says "I'm King Sin now, I agree to your plan", and Magneto and Xavier are just like "all right, that's all settled then!" like mutant Sinister isn't obviously going to be ganked and replaced twenty minutes from now (by a Sinister who isn't even a mutant).

There's gotta be at least one or two other mutant scientists out there that can handle this, right? Just give it to Beast? AoA says he's probably pretty good at genetic engineering if you make him focus.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, but presumably both Sinisters will keep coming back around via clones, so as long as one Sinister is on the job, you're probably good.

But they're not, because Sinister ended up making gene monsters that killed more than half the mutants (and even the original mutant Sinister would have done that eventually for fun) and just ugh. I know there's always a genocide right around the corner with the X-men, but this one seems really super obviously avoidable and preventable with just a tiny bit of common sense from the two greatest mutants of our times. I hope that's not the whole story with the fall of 10th timeline Krakoa.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay, now I'm confused. I didn't realize Sinister betrayed the 9th timeline, not the 10th, but yep, it even says it on the page in an infographic. Does that mean all the Krakoa House of X stuff we've seen is the 9th timeline, the one where Moira sides with Apocalypse and ends with the suicide mission in PoX3? Have we seen anything at all from the 10th timeline? Or did Xavier do the Krakoa thing in both 9 and 10 even though Moira didn't influence him in 9?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

We've already seen deceased characters who are walking around Krakoa, like the Stepfords and Banshee, so at the very least the fact that Xavier is bringing people back to life is an open secret amongst mutants. The codex files talk about the Five's resurrection machine in intricate detail, including the amount of times they have done it before (upwards of 1000 at the very, very least) and how the process is getting easier for them over time. If for some reason the space team didn't know about the details of the eggs then, again, it begs the question as to why because something like that really ought to be addressed.

I'm looking at the issue right now and I don't see any indication of this. Everything -- from the codex files to Magneto's knowing narration to the synchronized ceremony -- indicates on the other hand that this is a practiced routine at this point.

It's possible that it's a practiced routine for recovering long-dead mutants, but this is the first time someone's actually died and been reborn since the process began. I'm sure I'd still be scared of death and wondering about the beyond if I were in Wolverine or Nightcrawler's shoes, even if I knew there's a resurrection protocol in place. Even if I was 100% sure my consciousness and soul would be making the journey to the new body, I'm still about to die.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't know that there's gonna be any huge secret about the helmet, honestly. I think it might just be an art trick to hide his eyes to make it harder to empathize with him, and make him seem more sinister. Isn't that a trope they use a lot in anime?

Or maybe it's disfigured him hugely from overuse of his powers? I just don't think it's going to be much of a plot point.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Huh, that was kind of a letdown. The secret of Moira's sixth life was ... it was actually the life we were watching in the far future. Not really much of a twist, beyond finally letting us know when the stuff with the Phalanx takes place. I'm not even sure what was the revelation she was supposed to have had. The real enemy is... humans, not machines? But the humans were the enemy all along, they were the ones who made the machines. And the Phalanx isn't necessarily inevitable, there's no telling if the Phalanx would have come if she hadn't reset the other timelines. And what's so special about what she's doing with the current timeline? The secret she revealed to Xavier was that they always lose... but we already knew that. And we've known she told Xavier about her other lives since the second book. This seems like just another try at averting the mutant genocide, like she's done with her other lifetimes.

Maybe I was hoping for too much, but I thought there would be some big revelation here that would make you view the rest of the series in a different light. But no, everything besides finding out about Moira's powers and mutant resurrections is really just stage-setting for the new X books.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

The Franklin Richards case is interesting, because his sister Valeria Richards is pretty much equally powerful as a superhero, and she has no super powers in any form whatsoever.

I mean, they can say that all they want, but Valeria Richards is superpowered somehow just because of the ridiculously young age Hickman keeps sticking her with.

quote:

At the age of two, she is already incredibly intelligent, nearly at the level of Reed. Valeria ... created a very advanced artificial intelligence-based toy which Reed and Franklin plan to sell to Disney.[19] Reed has said she, at the mere age of three, had already surpassed his intelligence.

I remember complaining about this especially in the Hickman Fantastic Four run -- Valeria would be reasonable as a precocious comic book eight-year-old, maybe, but the fact that she's 2-3 years old means there's not even enough time for her motor skills to come in, and gives you the ludicrous picture of this bald, big-headed baby reading computer science textbooks. Hell, she's drawn as being 8 or 10 years old, but if Hickman insists on having her designing an artificial intelligence at the age of two, then just by definition she's got some kind of superpower.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Aw poo poo, I just realized we didn't get any explanation at all for why Jean's wearing the Marvel Girl costume and acting like a newbie. Is she in any of the books going forward?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Her X-Men: Red costume is really fitting and Pepe Larraz makes it look badass. Then again, Larraz makes everything and everyone look badass.

Thanks for this, that was exactly the costume I was thinking of, it's like a more practical, armored version of her costume from the 90s cartoon. Which I always thought made a lot of sense for Jean -- she doesn't do a lot of kickpunching like some of the other X-men, so she doesn't really need the skintight jumpsuit. Makes more sense for her to be wearing some armor in case someone shoots at her while she's busy doing magic mind stuff.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Billy-Vell (@williamaximoff) asked: Marvel Girl going back to her old ’60s costume is probably the most controversial wardrobe change in a while, can you talk about why she’s wearing it again, and if there’s any chance she might get a new one(or even go back to another old one)?

Jonathan: I’m not going to lie, this one has been disappointing.

I was pretty sure everyone would figure this out as soon as House of X #1 hit the stands. And while I’m not going to spoil the story for you, I will say go back and look at the most famous time she put this costume back on. That should help.

Can anyone with a better head for this sort of thing help me out here?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Also this

quote:

even a strict reading of the law doesn’t change the fact that I showed you three (four if you were watching closely) ways that mutants can reproduce and only one of those is in the ‘traditional’ hetro manner (that’s also leaving out pretty commonplace practices like IVF and surrogacy, which seem to me to support the spirit of the law).

1. Good ol' fashioned fuckin'
2. Egg resurrection?
3. Sinister gene pits?
4. ?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

I do actually appreciate that his answer to "what about souls and the afterlife and all that stuff, it's canon in the Marvel Universe" is basically "yeah well a lot of things are 'canon' in the Marvel Universe that gets rightfully ignored 99% of the time and this will be too"

It wasn't just that, he said X-Men #7 would deal with some of that stuff and there would be a line next year about resurrection problems. That was his answer to how the timeline fit with regards to previous X-Men history, though, which is really the best way to do it. There's no way for everyone to have gone through decades of comics history and still be in their twenties (or still sane). It's just gotta get condensed and handwaved at some point unless you want to do a full restart of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Did they do that with all the younger mutants who got trapped in the Age of Apocalypse for years and spent all that time believing the X-Men abandoned them to die, even though it had only been like 5 minutes from the X-Men's perspective?