Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

rantmo posted:

She's 100% Wolverine except without the alteration of the Y-chromosome that made Logan biologically male, there was damage to the DNA sample they were using that was causing the clones to fail and so Kinney decided to make an unauthorized clone without trying to alter the gender expression. Moving the third claw to her feet was because nature likes its clones to be more rad than the source, one of many reasons Laura is my one true Wolverine.
There was actually one point in time where I thought that Laura had one of Sarah Kinney's X-chromosomes (because it seems bad to me if Laura if had 2 identical X-chromosomes). I also thought Sarah was Asian (mainly because of the art in Innocence Lost but a little in Liu's run), making Laura partly Asian. When I went back to check they said nothing about having one of Sarah's chromosomes and nothing indicates that Sarah is Asian, in fact Kinney is a Scottish name. I think I made a post about this in the question thread at some point.

edit: Majorie Liu tweeted this once maybe this is why I thought it: That said, I always imagined X-23 as part Asian, through her mother. But that's just me.

She said that here

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I seriously don't even understand the point of Uncanny X-Men at this point aside from making GBS threads on characters that only a small number of people like. It's an even worse version of the death of Bill Foster. So congratulations on making Mark Millar seem subtle and poignant.
It's so weird to me. 3 of my favorite X-Men are Magik, Madrox and Chamber. I also love Moonstar and Cyclops (he has been really inconsistent lately though). Never would have thought this X-team could be so baffling to me. Pretty much just looking at the issues to see what Magik is wearing now.

Is this suppose to be setting up to a status quo that Hickman wants? I just don't get it.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Very excited! Only minor complaint is I hoped the Apocalypse in the book was actually Genesis. He is gonna be in the X-Men book sometime which is fine by me. I can’t wait to see where the books are in this new status quo.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Random question, any thoughts on Fraction's X-Men run?
there are a few aspects I like. I love X-club. I liked the dark avengers crossover. It was just very wordy and seemed to go nowhere.

I like the IDEA of utopia but as long as it exists in mainline marvel it will be attacked almost weekly in the comics and seems like an idea doomed to failure.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's true of literally anywhere the x-men live.

No I agree. It’s just dumb to call it Utopia and act like it’s a safe place for mutant kind. It won’t ever be. Fraction constantly acts like Cyclops is super intelligent and has great plans but seems to ignore this giant flaw in the plan. (Also day this as a huge cyclops fan).

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Bill Nye is self aware. Hank McCoy hasn't been self aware since he blue himself.
Has there been any recent fallout on the time Hank McCoy claimed that he was gay, notionally to support LGBTQ people but was really because he was jealous over Trish breaking up with him? That is keeping in line with the terrible things beast does (and the first terrible thing I remember him doing).

Edit: actually original x-factor is a pretty gross concept and he was on that. I’ll blame that on cyclops making the most terrible decisions when jean came back.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

There was no intention to support LGBTQ people at all. His statement to Trish was entirely to hurt her, which he openly states. He treats it entirely as a joke.

Ugh. Even worse than I remembered. Thanks for the page.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Interestingly, Pyro calls Destiny "mother" in HoX2, which was never a thing before as I recall. I wonder if that's a mistake, a throwaway minor retcon, or a plot point worth noting?
I noticed that, but its in Moria's life 2. It's a clearly different timeline and that could be literal or not as well. Not enough to say anything.

edit: could be sarcasm too!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

I love the way he writes Magneto and Apocalypse. Who's the tree guy supposed to be? Black Tom?
The tree guy seems to me to be Krakoa built on Doug's (Cypher) body. Rasputin calls him Krakoa, and he says something like "this body belonged to a mutant who could understand all language." This is all on the page that starts with the text box "Asteroid K."

Phalanx-estial is super wild, as is this intelligence scale.

I'm most excited for House of X #3 which I assume is going to be Cyclops leading the team that was talked about to fight mother mold/nimrod, which will have (based on the cover) Jean, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Angel, Monet and one other (Husk?).

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

An easy way I can see this being relevant in current continuity is for Xavier to have placed a mental block on both himself, Magneto, and Moira so that they don't remember any of this...until the time comes that they should.

Why they would need to bide for that time...who knows.
I mean this could also explain a lot of sketchy things Xavier did. He hid deadly class for a reason (involving Moira), Danger (the character) is needed for some reason, etc. because of knowledge from Moira about them being needed. Kind of hard to speculate now.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Hickman has made me excited about X-men in a way I haven't been in a long time. I'm reading Uncanny X-Men pre-lude to Age of X-Man to get ready and I had some questions. I heard it explains why Apocalypse is on X-teams in and post House of X.

The Jean/Ice-Man in this comic are the young versions right? It is pretty horseshit that rockslide/armor/pixie/anole are getting benched in favor of these guys, because they should have more experience than these two.
Has X-23 always been this excited about violence? I remember violence just being a fact of life to her, something she was born to do. In this she is constantly saying stuff like "a megalodon, do I get to stab it?" She just sounds more like Rockslide than Rockslide in this.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Cloks posted:

Ehhhhhh... maybe don't read Uncanny unless you want to kill that enthusiasm.
Ok. Second Rec I’ve gotten to not read this. Is Age of X-Man good? I thought that was supposed to be decent and was only reading the part that led to that. I can just jump to age of X-man if that’s good though.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

My theory is up above but I definitely feel like each time period is a different life. And VI is one of them!
I think year 1 and year 10 have to be the same year. It very much seems like year 1 is starting with Moira breaking all the rules and then year 10 is Cyclops going to prevent Nimrod (with info from life 9).

Web Jew.0 posted:

You guys think Moira having only 10-11 lives is just how her powers work? ie upper limit of Nightcrawler's teleport distance. Or did Destiny foresee that Moira 10 or 11 dies before her powers manifest?
In addition I could see her either living forever in one life, or losing her powers and dying. Either way would prevent her re-birth. Hell, she could have lost her powers in House of M in this life, we don't really know. The idea of Destiny saying "maybe 11, if you make all the right decisions" does kind of hint to me that it will end with her 11th life starting or current timeline is her 11th life where mutants win and she lives forever. We see her living a long time in life nine, that could be due to Apocalypse, but Apocalypse is on team good guy after this anyways.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Destiny explains how to kill Moira permanently; if she dies before her mutant powers manifest (presumably at puberty), she's done for good. I am assuming that her reference to having "ten lives, or perhaps eleven if you make the right choice at the end" means that the end of Moira 10's (X's) life will be Meaningful, and somehow determine whether Moira 11 will die young (so ten 'lives' with the eleventh cut short) or survive until her abilities manifest (or fail to manifest, making her mortal again?) to give her an eleventh lifetime.

We'll see, obviously.
If that's true and we know in life 10 she lives past 13, then why wouldn't she have an 11th life? She has lived past thirteen in her tenth life. From an story-telling perspective it seems weird to raise life 10 as her possible last life if we know she's going to make it to 11. So she can still lose it in timeline 10 somehow, whether that is losing her power or immortality.

I will say counter to my previous theory she can't have a long life time as part of her mutant power without Apocalypse because she died of old age in her first life.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Proteus and Legion are both listed on the info page about Omega Mutants in HoX #1, and Proteus is listed as aligned with Krakoa. Legion's alignment is "unknown". They're both deliberately in play, and given how central Moira is to the series I have to assume it will get brought up.
I agree. Proteus being mentioned twice seems very important to me. Also I assume Moira would have to know about how terrible Joseph MacTaggart is by her tenth lifetime, or have some specific reason she partnered with him. He also seems like a character Hickman would use prominently after seeing Franklin in FF and pretty much every character in New Avengers (especially molecule man).

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

I think all the timelines continue after she dies. X3 takes place 900 years after Moira IX dies, for example.
You’re assuming X3 is in timeline 9. It could be timeline 10 where she hasn’t died or timeline 6. I do think the timelines continue after she dies though.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Very interesting new issue. Things I took of note:

-Magneto and Xavier seem more villainous than they have in the rest of this arc so far sending Cyclops out. I wonder if Xavier is going to send lots of people on suicide runs and then have them reborn. Magneto seemed to be speaking metaphorically about Cyclops always living, Xavier did not.
-M seemed almost second in command of the team.
-There's no way Attorney General Tolliver is related to Tyler Dayspring Askani right? He's who I think of when I hear the name Tolliver in an X-men comic.
-Jean's worry over people literally building a genocidal weapon to me seems really silly
-Liked Frost and the Cuckoos scene a lot, although where is the third?
-Mystique seems here for Hickman to do some crazy twist - can't wait.
-Sleeping Giant is a very cool concept and love how that leads to the X-Men shocking Orchi's who think no one could know about them.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

TheLoser posted:

I find it funny and a tiny bit maddening that when presented with the chance to make a new language, Xavier just makes up "English grammar/syntax, but the arbitrary letters are replaced with NEW arbitrary letters."

Give me Mutant Esperanto, Hickman!
I thought that, but it did say autochthonous. I'm assuming the krakoan we/see read in the back of the book isn't the krakoan they mention Doug inventing. Whether that's because the readers are given something else or there are two languages as CubanMissle said I'm not sure. Autochthonous is a very specific and incorrect word to pick out for a simple cipher.

Alaois posted:

Those two are Esme and Sophie, the two dead Cuckoos. You should be asking where the other three are.
What? I did not realize that but you are right. That is kind of big and I don't know how I missed it. If Xavier is just creating copies of consciousness and cloning bodies (as current speculation) he would not be able to do it to these cuckoos. Or has had their consciousness saved for a while (although it wouldn't be that wild for the cuckoos to have saved their sisters' memories).

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I agree what we just saw was life 6. In HoX #2 when Moira and Xavier show up on Magneto's island to show him his other lives there are only 5 different versions of him are shown
I've seen people say this alot. It means in every previous life Magneto died before Moira, and she died fairly early in lives 2/3. How would she know what happened to Magneto? He probably hadn't died by then. Plus she might not have knowledge of how he died in life 1 anyways because she lived as a regular human. If anything she would know what happened to him in lives in a combination of 4-9.

Android Blues posted:

Cassandra Nova also rules. And the Stepford Cuckoos! Plus, we owe a lot of Emma Frost's modern characterisation to Morrison. The U-Men are cool villains as well.

I enjoyed New X-Men, but it's not my favourite. It generally feels like a fairly cynical book, and the Xorn twist is super dumb.
I agree. There are a lot of things I like in it. I like the Assault on Weapon X arc, the Weapon X = Weapon 10 retcon, I like Beak and really like his grandson in the future timeline. Emma as well, but I think there's a lot of her personality in Generation X as well.

Magneto is bad throughout the arc, but it is easy within the Morrison's own story to say it was actually Sublime's actions.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

On clue #5 was there any tension between Madelyne Pryor and Wolverine? Obviously I know about her and Havok. Heather Hudson maybe also possible. Mutant Island makes this harder unless we assume it is Australia?

Edge & Christian posted:

#6 is presumably about Cassandra Nova, but given the use of "gifted" and swapping samples, probably about the Mutant Cure storyline she was involved with in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (first arc title: Gifted) as opposed to Morrison's New X-Men.
I was thinking Ernst, but actually the recent Spider-Man and the X-men book (which would be an insane reference, but maybe). Ernst is in the book and was teaming with Sinister in the book (but in order to get a body for No-Girl). Definitely want to re-read that see if it works. Sinister was collecting something (maybe involving dinosaur DNA from Sauron earlier in the series?)

Edge & Christian posted:

#9 I assumed was Cannonball and Sunspot, though it doesn't line up perfectly for them (or anyone else, really).
Haha, best guess I've heard yet. #9 is the weirdest/hardest one. Husk/Chamber or some other old couple that hasn't been together in a wild?

danbanana posted:

Am I interpreting this one wrong? I think #10 is in reference to the mutant-DNA'd Sinister in this issue who makes the deal with Xavier. It's just a wink that Sinister already knew about Moira and Xavier's plans... maybe via Magneto? That smile in the next panel is obvious. It also means Xavier wiping his mind of the visit wasn't going to work since he already knew about the plan...

MORE PROOF THIS IS VI, I SAY.

I still don't think this is VI, Hickman could do something much crazier. I do think you're right about Sinister not being wiped by Xavier, or finding back our shortly after. Not sure on exact details, but it seems to me that with a vast network of clones in a hive mind type experience (or when he clones to a new body) that it would be pretty hard for Xavier to completely wipe him. In addition,

edit on 7: I actually do wonder if there could be a 4th Summers brother. The original hint that there was one a third is from Sinister, and then when they revealed Gabriel there didn't seem to be any way that Sinister would have known about Gabriel. Although according to clue 10 he has been watching for a long time, so I guess that could finally be explained.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 11, 2019

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

He’s Doug Ramsey of the New Mutants who merge or something with Warlock. Warlock uses the transmode virus to convert organic matter into techno-organic and then eats its energy. As for why? Well, that may remain to be seen.
Doug is also a really good characters a lot of fans liked, but was hard for authors to use with no combat prowess. He is seeming like he may be pretty important in this run. As others said he merged with Warlock who is a mutant From the Technarchy. Normally the Technarchy are a very violent race, but Warlock is peaceful compared to them (that’s his mutation like Broo from Wolverine and the X-Men). Additionally originally the Phalanx (who are in Powers of X) were said to be an offshoot of the Technarchy, but Hickman retconned that in PoX to say the Technarchy work for the Phalanx but don’t know that. In X^100 the biggest threat to mutants long term seems to be the Phalanx and Doug/Warlock are the X-Men with the most expertise there.

CubanMissile posted:

When did that happen?
There is a lot of queer subtext for women in Claremont’s run. Kitty/Rachel, Kitty/Magik (which for half a page looked like it may happen in that recent wedding issue) Storm/Yukio, Storm/Callisto, Mystique/Destiny. It wasn’t allowed by the Comics Code Authority at the time so could never be explicit, but is very much there.

Edit:

CubanMissile posted:

Or Ramsey is working for Sinister and messing with Krakoa is some plot of his.
If anyone is working with Sinister it might be Trinary. Her symbol on the page where she is mentioned is identical to the symbol inside the red diamond at the top of the bar sinister page. That can’t be a coincidence.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 12, 2019

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Great issue, but...resurrection seems like an inappropriate word. Xavier is restoring their minds to clone bodies based on a weekly backup he keeps of all mutants. It's the teleporter problem - Scott and Jean and Logan and Kurt et al did actually die, they're still dead, and they didn't come back. There are just perfect copies of them from a week ago hanging out on Krakoa now, being venerated for a sacrifice they never made.

The issue kind of skirts that. Seems like something that ought to be addressed.
I kind of agree, but it seems to functionally be immortality in a way people would love. In addition Magneto says about Xavier: "So he could one day put a soul back into its mutant shell." If that is truly their soul (and it seems like Magik/Pixie would know, but maybe that's me reading into it too much) than it does seem to be true resurrection other than losing up to a week of memories.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

Maybe this is what they were doing when they got blown up off-panel during the Mothermold mission?
Honestly there have been so many panels where they’ve been next to each other in HoX. As the most hated X-couple this has to be a conscious decision by writer or artist. Everyone else seems to completely ignore that run ever happened.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Metalshark posted:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/powers-of-x-5-dawn-of-x-spoilers/ - full council spoilers here, from a digital press copy of PoX #5 that deliberately/accidentally revealed it.
Has Kitty ever gone by Kate Pyride in mainline continuity? The name just makes me think of DOFP (and probably other alternate realities).

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Is there a reason Hickman is so adverse to showing Xavier’s face? Or just a red herring? He was only shown from behind in that first couple of pages before putting on the mask. Orchi’s seems to be an ongoing threat (which is needed with all these reformed villains). Nice to see Skin and Synch enjoying life together.

Android Blues posted:

Even weirder is that the council unanimously votes for the eternal solitary confinement plan. There's no dissent at all, and not much debate, even from the side of the table you'd think might be quite hesitant.
Yeah that is interesting. I can see almost all of the characters wanting to protect the children on the island though, but that’s not where it seemed to come from. Selene and Penance are the two most egregious villains brought to Krakoa, being vampires who fed off children.

Two questions:
1. I just remember Gorgon from Secret Warriors. Any essential reading for him?
2. Do we know anything about Moira’s no-space? Can’t remember it. Wonder if it is supposed to stop her from aging.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

good day for a bris posted:

That's the Gorgon (not the Inhuman one, the Hand/HYDRA one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgon_(Tomi_Shishido)

In addition he is one of the 4 captains (field leaders of mutants) along with Cyclops, Magik and Bishop.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Parallax posted:

she was a fighter, but she was always the loner of the group in New Mutants. maybe that's changed but Dani seems the more obvious choice for general out of that group
I took the Captain role as a combat only type role, and Magik has been on the big fight teams for quite a while, like Gillen's Exctinction team. She is also a ruler of a dimension, and constantly had to keep those demons in line, through more combat. Finally all the captains bring something different. Gorgon brings what X-Force had been doing, Bishop has the cop experience, Cyclops has all the traditional marvel super hero fights down. If there's a magical threat, Magik will be the number one person responding to it.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 3, 2019

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Honestly we're only six days away from the end of the miniseries, and while that won't be the end of the bigger run that this has all been establishing, we'll all be in a better place to evaluate this thing when we have the last piece of the puzzle for this part of it at least.
Maybe, but I also see it as a set up for future story lines and I think I will heavily judge it on the quality of the stories/concept afterwards.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

On that note, I’ve never seen Exodus in a cartoon or comic before. What’s his deal?
This is from memory but Exodus is a French dude from crusade era. He was friends with Black Knight of that era. He was trapped in stasis. Magneto freed him and he became Magneto’s number two guy. That made his previous number two, Fabian Cortez mad. He led the acolytes when Xavier mind wiped Magneto. He is pretty powerful and fought off the Avengers and X-men of the time together singlehandedly, till he was beat (maybe on the Astral plane?) by Xavier. I think somehow current Black Knight helped Xavier.

Edit: also he was listed as an omega level in telekinesis in HOX 1. But like said above in the 90s very vague power set. Could basically do anything.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 4, 2019

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

My unfairly irritating moment: having never seen a tv/etc adaptation of Exodus, I have no idea what he's supposed to sound like. French accent? But he's thousands of years old, isn't he? I still basically read everyone in their cartoon voices, and you're fuckin right that includes The Rocks Of The Eternal Shore himself.
I want to see how much he hates Fantomex, Gambit and maybe Northstar. Just want to see a terrible conversation between all 4.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I have to correct this because he's my favorite character in anything.
The gentleman in question is insane because he's haunted by the ghost of a previous self from each time he's teleported.

What book is this? Sounds interesting.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I feel like Destiny would want to work with Moira now. we only saw them interact once when Moira was anti-mutant. I’d think they could get along now, and she could be super helpful to Moira. I’m not surprised Moira created Proteus on purpose, that’s kind of what I assumed since her big reveal. A little surprised Xavier created Legion on purpose.

I am definitely already feeling Moira over Magneto/Xavier in their future conflict.

Other thing - I wonder if that Sinister secret could actually be about Wolverine/Moira. Is she still married? I feel like in Claremont’s time they couldn’t get divorced for some reason because of his diplomat status. They’re clearly super close in at least two of her lives, which are her longest lives. I’ve always thought most of Wolverine’s partners were kind of gross, but would kind of love him to be with someone with as just as many life experiences in Moira.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Parallax posted:

I think either there’s something more to the plan Moira doesn’t want anyone else to know about, or somehow Moira somehow knows that this too is going to fail
Moira knows that if everything goes right, makes all the right choices she will have an eleventh life. So she might be setting up for her final life. Which most people on Krakoa would want to reject.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I will also say very early on there were a few explanations for why mutants were mutants. Off the top of my head Beast’s dad, Norton McCoy, worked at a nuclear something facility. His exposure to radiation was listed as the reason that Henry was a mutant. I think at the time Hank was also said to have been born with with large feet/hands, so it didn’t hit during puberty like became established later.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

What's the exact deal with Teen Cable? Does he have all memories of Cable? Was he plucked from the timestream and only has memories of Cable's first 16 years? In the later case at least he would be pretty close to Jean/Scott because they spent 12 years raising him the The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix.

Vulcan being there seems wild. Like have he, Havok and Cyclops ever hung out before this? Also wonder if those two empty rooms are for anyone in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Either that, or Doug's pissed at her for some reason and he's intentionally screwing with her. :shrug:
My wild guess is krakoa is jealous of doug’s relationship with Kate Pryde.