Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
You could not pay me to care less about Jimmy Hudson, god knows why they're bringing him over. I'd have much rather they just kept Laura with the Blue team. Speaking of, I am loving this Hank's all new, all different way to be a complete screw up with things he doesn't quite understand and am very much looking forward to a scene with science abusing goat Beast and magic abusing demonic goat Beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Belatedly catching up with the latest X-Men: Blue and while I can usually take or leave the alternate reality bad guy crew thing, I can't deny the last page got me all "oh gently caress" at seeing what it was Jean found. Having gotten into the X-Men just before the Fall of the Mutants, seeing *that* particular fashion accessory presses all kinds of childhood trauma buttons.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rhyno posted:

Young Hank is absolutely going to be the next Sorcerer Supreme.

Roth posted:

No, that's going to be Loki
Terrible Eye or GTFO

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Gonna go for a surprise combo of Dani (braid) and Sam (Jesus pose) to go with Laura and Nightcrawler.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
What the hell, Namor? That green armour poo poo is vile, get this man back in the Speedos or the awesome split black number, stat. I have never heard of Gentle, who he?

Also, Gabby is on the team too? Sweeeeeeet.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Decent mix of the old and new there for sure.

@Skwirl - last I saw, Dani is still without her mutant power but may still be a valkyrie, not sure. If someone wanted to retcon it with a Reed and Franklin recreated her with her powers, I certainly wouldn’t complain but she’s awesome enough to get by without. If only they’d use her more often...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
True - strictly speaking, Jean probably met Kurt a couple of times before taking the Jamaica Bay siltnap for a few years, then spent years with X-Factor only to finally hook up with the X-Men again while Kurt was with XCalibur.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skwirl posted:

Were they ever on the same team between Claremont leaving and Grant Morrison's New X-Men? I know very little about that era but it spans most of a decade.

Can't swear to it (I checked out immediately after AoA finished) but I don't think so. Kurt was in a coma following the Mutant Massacre, and came round on Muir Island right after the Fall of the Mutants 'killed' off the X-Men, at which point he hooked up with Kitty and Rachel and they all seemed to just hang over on that side of the pond in their own little bubble doing wacky Excalibur stuff for years. He knows 'Jean' a lot more than Jean actually knows him, I think, so unless I'm missing something, this will be their first real team time together.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's also weird/funny that young Jean already has a better relationship with Magneto than OG Jean ever has, especially if she comes back still thinking 'he' killed her. The reason she refused to even get in touch with the X-Men first time she came back was because they were palling with Mags and by the time the teams reunited, he had pulled another heel turn. I can't recall a point where she hasn't seen him as an antagonist.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wanderer posted:

I'd actually read the hell out of an X-Men book where they're specifically the sort of "local superheroes" you sometimes see in the real world.

This issue, young Jean Grey spends the evening walking college students home from the clubs after midnight! Thrill as Rockslide helps an old woman with her groceries!

That's part of why I loved the latest Ms Marvel two-parter - it's not a fight against some dumb villain, it's not stopping a bomb going off that will tear open a rift in space-time and swallow New Jersey, it's just two brave kids teaming up to stop a runaway train. More of that please.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hmmm. Between Resurrection and Jean Grey I guess the Phoenix is gonna cry off broken hearted for few thousand years now then. Christ knows what’s going to happen with the two of them next but if I had to choose, I’d prefer Young Jean stuck around, she’s got moxie.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

irlZaphod posted:

Also Cyclops leaves his wife and baby in Alaska because his ex-girlfriend was no longer dead.

Cyclops was the worst.

It was a crappy thing to do but context is king. He’s told something impossible that fucks him up emotionally six ways sideways, and has to go see what the hell is going on. He then gets pressured into leading the reunited team, saves a kid from a witchhunt, then Hank gets kidnapped and experimented on. Then they end up getting drawn into a first encounter with Apocalypse, then the truth comes out and he talks it out with Jean, before going back home and finding Maddie and Nate missing with zero leads to go on. He literally breaks down, hallucinates, rages against imaginary an Xavier and Jean, blows up his goddamn house and it’s only having Master Mold show up nearby that enables him to get his poo poo back together just in time for Warren’s ‘suicide’. Maddie doesn’t show up again until the X-Men save her from the Mauraders in San Francisco, then her and the X-Men are ‘killed’, and they don’t reunite again until she’s turned Manhatten into Hell.

That was a pretty intense couple of months and no, Scott didn’t handle it brilliantly but I’d defy any holier-than-thou schmuck to keep it together in the face of all that poo poo.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My favourite part of that is when the speedster is all "whatcha doing?" to his pal, who just barely saved him from decapitating himself running into a neck-high piece of wire Storm set up earlier. From the Callisto knife fight onwards, Storm just takes zero poo poo from anyone and it's glorious.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Didn’t the AoA Beast finally die? And weren’t there three Angels at one point recently (O5 teen, mindless Archangel, and the weird zero personality/hippy version)? There’s also the Ice Hulk thing running around with Bendis’ lame future Brotherhood.

X-Red was a nice start marred somewhat by medicore art. Love that she just went straight to the UN, no messing around, backed up by Namor and T’challa because why the hell not.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: X-Men: Red #2

I like the cut of Trinary's jib.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Edmund Lava posted:

Laura is going back to her old code name with a new creative team

I love ANW and I’m not too thrilled by this so far. Sounds like they’re going to regress the character for some dumb reason.

E:fb

Ugh, this is so goddamn lame. X-23’s such a dumb loving name in the first place, who’d even want to re-use it. Piss off, Marvel, you’re rubbish.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, Jean, Hank and Scott have been fun and I'd like to keep them around. Certainly, this Hank > Regular Hank for sure.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Refresh my memory, what exactly did he do that was so terrible?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Claremont's run is one of the most important and iconic of any comic book in the last 40 years, Morrison's is just a decent run of stories. It's not in the same league, hell, it ain't even the same sport.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
TFW you look into the backstory of a character you'd never heard of in All New Wolverine and realise you actually saw their first appearance some 25 years ago and just figured that person was an innocent bystander one-and-done. Like what in the holy gently caress, you're telling me the banker lady the X-Men saved from the Reavers became the ruling crime lord of Madripoor?!?!?!?!?

:psyduck:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah. I always found Madripoor stuff kinda dull so I'd usually avoid/glaze over stories about it. I was just looking up what happened to the Reavers and noticed that lady in their first appearance had her own entry. Little did I know...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Aphrodite posted:

Looks like none of the X-Men Black people are in there.

Ike Perlmutter doesn't care about X-Men Black people.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I liked it too, especially that he was so unapologetic about it. "The world is better off with the X-Men in it, STFU you whiners", ha. Though it does feel a bit of a stretch from how Jean thought of him from the last time she saw him (in New X-Men I guess?)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Great issue indeed. And wow, once again...

..Magneto was right.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
http://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1061691657123319808

I never knew that Jean was such a shortarse compared to Ororo.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I am sorry to see the O5 go back. I liked Scott having space adventures with his dad and hanging out with Miles and Kamala, I liked Jean's development as she tried to avoid the miserable future fate had planned, and I liked Hank dabbling in the mystic arts and vowing to be nothing like the scumbag his present day self is, and Bobby was just fun and adorable.

I mean sure, there are a ridiculous number of alt versions of everyone around these days but at the same time, I enjoyed having them about, more so than their adult versions of late.

Also, if their memories are supposed to unlock at the appropriate moment, I guess Warren probably feels awkward around Laura now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It’s a fair point but it’s also hard to see what can be done to avoid it under the current situation. Why blow your best ideas if it’s Disney who benefit the most from it while paying you the absolute bare minimum?

I keep recalling that thing Kieron Gillen said about making more from a sub 9k indie title he owns than writing for-hire a couple of Marvel books with two-three times the readership.