Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Liked Blue even more than Gold. In fairness I love the Juggernaut and this is his first appearance in... quite a while, innit? Jean taking over the role as field leader is pretty drat genius- I mean, she's the one who can read minds; she should in theory be better at directing her teammates and knowing where threats are coming from.
Reading the last page is the first time I really noticed Brisson is taking over OML; I hated Lemire's Extraordinary but his OML was and is consistently good. I've got a lot of faith in Brisson stemming from his criminally cut-short series The Violent even if I'm pretty ambivalent about the Marvel books he's currently writing so fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

X-O posted:

That was Jimmy Hudson. From the Ultimate X-Men. He's the son of Wolverine. No clue yet whether he's actually the Earth 1610 version who came to our world through Secret Wars shenanigans or whether it's a 616 version that up until just hadn't been revealed to exist. I'd bet it's more like Miles Morales where his history has kind of been transplanted to happening in the 616 universe.

EDIT: Scratch all that. I just read an interview that is indeed the 1610 Jimmy Hudson. He woke up in our universe with all his memories gone and like the rest of the Blue team is now stuck in a place that isn't his home.

I'm pretty loving "bleh" on the idea of yet another Young Wolverine running around when we've already got Rad Girl Wolverine, Fun Girl Wolverine with a Literal Wolverine, Albino Girl Wolverine Somewhat Channeling Penance (hoping they don't sweep her under the rug completely after bringing her back), and uh, what's the status of Tribal Tat Wolverine? OTOH 1610 Jimmy running with Blue Team makes more thematic sense than Laura, and frankly Laura's way better in her solo title.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

purple death ray posted:

I don't really read Marvel, is there a reason why Old Logan is on every team just like Regular Logan was before they killed him off? Why make Laura the new Wolverine if they're not going to give her the full Wolverine treatment, i.e. she's on every team and even gets covers on books she's not actually in? Is it just that he's the closest thing to the 'real' Wolverine because that's kinda lovely

I agree. I'm not mad that Laura isn't everywhere, because she wasn't near as good in ANXM as her solo, I can only imagine what she'd be like in Champions, and also did you see Land's attempt to draw her in that splash page in Weapon-X? Learn how to draw more than one face, haircut, and body type, Greg.
But putting Old Man Logan on every book they want a Wolverine in totally diminishes her as a character of importance as much as saying "Sure, toots, call yourself Wolverine. Unless the elderly alternate-reality Logan decides he wants to be called Wolverine, then we're gonna call you Lady Wolverine, alright?" Despite taking on the official mantle, they've already turned her into the Batgirl to OML's Batman (but he's like one of the replacement Batmans? I don't know, I don't read DC so you don't need to pick apart this comparison for me).

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

pubic works project posted:

That covers all the stuff from Death of X and Inhumans vs. X-Men until the "reboot" with X-Men Blue and Gold?

Wow. I'm just surprised I've gotten caught up so quickly. Expected another 20 issues of something before I got to this point.

Did you read Magneto? It might help inform your reading of Uncanny v4, and more importantly, is better than any of the main X-Books immediately before and after it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Ha, Jean Grey very quickly shot up to my "#1 X-Book" slot with this issue. And the next one, well the next one should be pretty good too.

Also I hope these guys stick around as supporting cast. This issue kinda inadvertently put together my favourite X-Men team in a while.
e: Wasn't Hope in a coma the last time we saw her? Was that ever wrapped up somewhere? Also this issue nailed her personality as Cable Jr. perfectly in a way I don't think any other book has since the Cable solo that shoulda been called Cable & Hope.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 26, 2017

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Poor, poor, inconsistently-drawn Anole. His whole thing was he had a bad case of one-big-arm for like a decade, then in Extraordinary X-Men Apocalypse Wars he got drat near burned to death and regenerated (off panel as part of a montage to show a year passing) into a jacked lizard-man badass who was like 8 ft tall. Then with no explanation, post-Apocalypse Wars, still in Extraordinary, he was a head shorter than Glob again. Still though, he was built like a teenage superhero, up through the end of the title. Now he shows up in Gold #5, scrawny as me, wearing a drat long-sleeved sweater implying he's not even covered in spikes anymore. Fuckin' no respect for one-half of Marvel's preeminent mutant crimefighting duo.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Someone tell me when Blue and Gold are done dicking around with Secret Empire. I'm not reading them until the point where I can blast through the whole derail in an afternoon. gently caress whenever they make X-Men tie in with linewide events.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

howe_sam posted:

Blue feels like a comic that was just starting to tell the story it was interested in telling and then got sidetracked by Secret Empire.

Oh yeah I have 100% lost interest in Blue, especially since I've elected to not read Secret Empire at all. It's really hard not to read it as an "alternate continuity, none of this weird poo poo means anything" for that reason; I keep forgetting this dumb-assed status quo is actually "real" in the MU right now. Plus I'm not happy with them bringing in more Ultimate Universe characters- literally nobody was asking for another Wolverine. And as much as I thought I was gung-ho for a "The X-Men Versus Conservativism" story, nothing about the new issue of Gold grabbed me. I am however really liking Weapon-X and all the solo titles, so you know they're all gonna get cancelled and we'll be left with two lame team books and Astonishing, which no matter how well written, I hate the team. Except Gambit. Maybe if I focus all my will, it can be a title starring Gambit, Wolverine/Gabby/Jonathan, and Rockslide.

e: Didn't one of the back page line-wide summary things promise Gabby was getting a codename soon? I hope she gets to pick it herself and it's 100% ridiculous, in the same vein as Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 7, 2017

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Decius posted:

Also, 3 Hank McCoys
It's "Hanks McCoy" as in "it is a universal constant that all Hanks McCoy are monumental fuckups".

Rumda posted:

Dark Beast.

Where's this fuckernaut at? Last I remember he was the totally un-earned mastermind behind a bunch of poo poo in the downhill ski-slope that was Bendis' X-Men.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I wish the O5 could just go back to their own time. And then we continue to follow their story, having seen firsthand what the future is like but with the knowledge that nothing they do will change that future for comic-science reasons leaving them free to become different people and also manage to turn Classic Cackling Maniac Magneto into Modern Attitude Magneto more quickly. And the main X-Books could deal with a world without Cyclops and Jean, and also Beast dies. Adult Bobby gets to live on his own terms, adult Angel gets to continue his tortured existence I guess. I'm never 100% sure what his deal is anymore.
Except Marvel already shot that idea in the balls, and they hate "not important main timeline" series anyway because they don't tend to sell. Ah well. I'm willing to continue on with Blue and see if it gets its poo poo back together after SE.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Also when in the gently caress are we gonna find out that the Madrox dupe(s?) living on their own is/are still alive and somehow got the power to duplicate when the Prime Madrox died, or that Prime Madrox wasn't actually on Muir Island when the Big Dumb Idiot Thing happened that ostensibly killed off my favourite character that isn't cloned from Wolverine or a living totem of stone and awesomeness.
tldr BRING BACK JAMIE, YOU MOOKS. It'd be the easiest thing on the planet to handwave away!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

twistedmentat posted:

Okay so I read the Wolverine Generations book, and that was a perfect Wolverine story. Totally didn't tear up at the very end, nope nope nope, not at all.

I know right? Best Generations one so far. I did literally just finish the Hawkeyes one, which was pretty good too, but not on the same level. Only a weiner would tear up though. I mean, there was a lot of dust in those pages and that dust got into my eyes, and tearing up is a totally acceptable reaction to dusty eyes. Similarly, when I just rewatched Logan, during the end when she calls him "daddy" as he dies, some tear gas from a nearby riot came through my balcony screen door and affected me for several minutes.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Zoro posted:

Yet I never see crowds of people online claim he was forced on fans and it's just a terrible replacement and is a sign of Marvel the downfall and its political agenda. :hmmm face:
Well then allow me to be the first you hear of it. More "representation" bullshit because the AU fakepeople immigrating into our good honest real world aren't buying comics at the same rate as good honest realworlders. Maybe I'd buy more comics if all my TAXES weren't going into the pocket of some rear end in a top hat named Ultimate Todd who won't shut up about how much of a better job President Marilyn Manson was doing back where he came from.

Um, seriously though, to hell with Jimmy. I'll allow that the "So you're my father from an alternate future universe?" "Yep" "Hm." panels from one of the recent Mojo Worldwide issues made me laugh, but that's it. Speaking of which, what a *long, drawn-out fart noise* story that's been so far. Each page could just be captioned "Member this?" It also drives me nuts how my favorite bros Rockslide and Anole keep showing up in the background in Gold just to remind me they're there but not really doing anything.

Whoo, that was a really negative post. Somebody get me the new issue of Wolverine. Dying to find out what codename Gabby eventually picks. Wonder if it's gonna be Talon, like they hinted at Laura taking before they realized they should stick with something copyrightable (I guess?).

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
gently caress yeah Laura/Gabby/Namor/And The Rest. Course, if I had my way I'd swap Nightcrawler out for Pixie, Gentle for Rockslide, and ah hell I'll give New Girl a chance but we need Anole so swap out Jean for him.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nuns with Guns posted:

Larua's probably a twentysomething at this point. But maybe being a wolverine clone throws that all off?

This very issue claims she's 20 (or reasonably close to that number). Also, this was one more new issue of Gabby not having a codename yet. The tension is literally killing me. Why the hell do I care so much.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I love that it's the easiest death to walk back ever, in a universe where death is walked back all the time, and nobody's done it yet because gently caress you, nobody gets to use Madrox again unless they got a drat good reason to.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Just read Astonishing #6, dunno how many weeks old it is by now. Loved it, though (and I know I risk ire here) I can't stand Del Mundo's art in comics. Makes for nice covers, would look great airbrushed onto a panel van, just doesn't do it for me in little panels that are supposed to convey motion. I'd almost say I like the art in Gen X better. Almost.
So am I reading this correctly when I say the ending was (and I'll spoiler this in case you're like me and always behind; this is the kind of thing you should read firsthand) the "spirit" or whatever of Xavier taking over Fantomex's body with the latter's consent, basically overwriting him? I am... not sure how I feel about that. Fantomex was never my favourite character, but I feel like Xavier being dead was the kind of death that should have been allowed to stick, the X-Men no longer requiring their "creator" to guide them anymore.

Also caught up on Jean Grey, and while it wasn't going in the direction I'd been hoping, it's still the best of the new solo series so I'm disappointed it's ending so soon. Plus, well, I'm one of the three card-carrying Hope Summers fans, and Hope was written exactly how she should have always been since the Cable series she was introduced in. If it was my call, I'd depower her boring power-mimic ability and make her whole thing "teenage girl raised by Cable, has the power of flying motorcycle, hacking into global spy networks, and Liefeldian firearms".

And Quire is like the easiest character to gently caress up, or should I say one of the hardest characters to write. He should be an arrogant dickhead, but you have to keep him funny. I loved him in WatXM, and didn't in WatXM vol 2. Again, I think this Jean Grey series has a pretty good handle on him.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Wanderer posted:

Laura looks an awful lot like Sarah Kinney despite there being no genetic relationship whatsoever, but that might be some kind of ongoing art error. I wanted to say that Sarah's genetics were used to patch up the incomplete DNA from Logan, but I could be mistaken.

Well you made me curious so I just re-read all of Innocence Lost, and there's no mention of that. But she's a white, black-haired woman and Laura's a white, black-haired girl, and Sarah DID carry her to term, albeit not by choice, but it's obvious she sees Laura as her daughter. I'm not sure if it was intentional that they look similar but I kinda read it as an unspoken thing, that Sarah couldn't help but bond with Laura because not only did she birth her but Laura even looked like she was her daughter. I wouldn't call it an art error. I'd call it an interesting coincidence, hopefully intentional. Despite not being built squat and jacked like Logan (and I'm no biologist but I'd call that having something to do with Logan having to lug around a 400-lb skeleton), he is always depicted as a black-haired white guy, so they look about as familial as you can get for a father and genetic-twin clone daughter in a medium where they're illustrated by a hundred different people.
Also of note: People used to make a big deal when (I think it was) Bendis started writing her that she wasn't supposed to use contractions in her speech, but she only says like five complete sentences in this 6-issue mini, the last two of which are "Please don't leave... please don't leave me" after she kills Sarah in a chemical-rage.
Man, I really, really love this book. (Also I love that the "Complete" X-23 doesn't include NYX. Just a little gently caress-you to the stain that the character will probably never be able to lose.)

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

davebo posted:

How old is Laura supposed to be now? Does the healing factor kick in once you hit puberty and start slowing down the aging process immediately, or since you're still growing at that point, the healing factor doesn't view it as cell deterioration and you just age normal speed until you're like 25ish? One thing I didn't get about Old Man Logan is how it took Wolverine 200 years to get to look like he's 40, then only another 40 years to look like he's 65. I assume since his healing factory doesn't heal him as fast that it also doesn't slow down his aging as well, but I'd love some kind of chart with a bell curve showing when a Wolverine-type is at peak Wolverinitude.

Canonically 20, give or take, as of two or three issues ago. I'd say it's probably fair to assume one would age normally til ~20-25 for the reasons you mentioned. At some point in there you're at peak physical condition before stuff starts to deteriorate. I think the Marvel-Brand Healing Factor wears down eventually; it's the only thing that makes sense. Add to that that for Logan and Laura it's constantly working to make sure they aren't killed by Adamantium poisoning. Maybe eventually it has to give up the "stop aging" part to fully do the "don't die immediately" part.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Skwirl posted:

I mean the series you describe in the post is starring Wolverine's clone, Wolverine's Clone's clone and a wild animal they received as a housewarming gift. X-Men is complicated.

Don't forget Wolverine's son, being written as not-an-rear end in a top hat for possibly the first time ever?

Without embellishment this is my favourite comic series of all time.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

twistedmentat posted:

I've hated Daken up until this series.

Also Gabby's awe at Laura Captain Americaning that guy. Gabby is the best. Oh that reminds me, who was at Sarah Kinney's funeral? Obvs Laura, her aunts, and Gabby, Daken, Logan, Beast, Jubilee and of course JOnathan (who has his own Tux), but who is the blond guy, and the guy with the emo hair, the guy with the black gloves. I assume the blond woman is Carol.

I was just gonna ask the same thing. Blond guy's gotta be Angel, hiding his wings, as he's her boyfriend. I choose to believe white-shoes-longish-hair is Gambit because he's been a major part of her life at times. No idea who black gloves is though.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Sentinel Red posted:

X-Red was a nice start marred somewhat by medicore art.

That first panel of the baby is terrifying. Like a potato goblin.

Excellent first issue story-wise, though. I mean, I'm biased, because I'm head of the Gabby Kinney Fan Club, but I'm glad to see the positive reception here. Plus, Namor. Always a great addition to any team.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

gently caress gently caress gently caress poo poo PISS GOD DAMNIT.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Metalshark posted:

Tamaki makes direct reference to Gabby, so on that front we're seemingly ok at least as the Marvel article also mentions her and Jonathan before talking to Juann Cabal. I would hope for it to be a Spider-Gwen title only situation, since Taylor explicitly moved her past that (and they all knew Logan was coming back when this was approved), but it's gonna be odd if she's going by Laura, a la Jean Grey. Talon never came close to sticking, and DC have since used it plus I can't see them appending a new name to her, so perhaps they are reverting her to X-23, which would be utterly lame.

EDIT: All-New Wolverine #32 is another fantastic one-off issue, following up on the Orphans of X conclusion.

Gotta be a copyright thing (reverting as opposed to giving her a new codename). Can you copyright something like "X-23"? I don't know dick about this part of the law (more of a bird law guy) but I'm assuming you can, if it's like "in the context as the name of a fictional character". And obviously that returning X^23 logo is trademarked. Still mad they never changed it to Talon when they had the chance (bollocks on it "not sticking", they never even tried to use it beyond that one scene implying they were going to, retroactively making that scene a weird non-sequitur). I'd be perfectly gosh-darn fine with the title changing to "Laura Kinney: Wolverine" if they were dead-set on having an adjectiveless "Wolverine" being the title starring the hairy surly guy every mook on the street knows. Supposing I'm right, I get why they'd do it, but in-universe it's such a "gently caress you" to the character not just that she can't share the codename like the Spider-Men or the Hawkeyes, but it's basically her slave name. Christ, you can go codename-less, Jean Grey's been doing it for a long-rear end time.
I'm mostly just grumpy that this specific run is ending because it's by far my favourite Marvel title. I'd feel the same way if they handed "Thor" to literally anybody other than Aaron. No matter how good it is I'm probably gonna perceive a quality dip at least for a while.

edit: Jesus. This the day an issue comes out that includes Laura and an associate (implied) stomping a Nazi. Come on! This book is perfect in every way!

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 15, 2018

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Telepathy Power Creep sucks because it gives us the ol' "why couldn't Xavier have done this ages ago" question when the real answer is "because the writer didn't think of it until now", or you gotta constantly hobble the telepath to write a fight scene without ending it instantly. I like good old-fashioned "I pulled the access code out of his mind but now I'm so tired you have to carry me" telepathy where you can't mentally knock someone out without knocking yourself out.

Also I really liked Enemy of the State II. I thought the reveal of Laura being able to resist it at the beginning by essentially temporary-suiciding while she had time to react was great, getting rid of her Kryptonite through the power of friendship and trust (and a mental kick in the rear end from Jean) was a decent way to drop it quickly, and Gambit hucking a can of beans at a helicopter was fine art. And I'll admit I cheered out loud when Laura beat/drowned Kimura while wearing most of an Iron Man suit and shouting "I'm the goddamn Wolverine". Everyone who swears off murder is still allowed to kill their Kimura. It's the law, look it up some time.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Metalshark posted:

Name aside, the upcoming X-23 costume appears to be #2 with the boots from #3, which I'm in favour of. Athleisure mixed with a goth edge works for Laura, and they're keeping the optional jacket from the latter part of ANW too. Prefer the X-Force domino mask to the cowl too, which never worked fully for me.

The neck thing is presumably a two-thirds choker?

But how are those boots at kicking Nazis?

Domino masks will never not be awful. She doesn't even have a secret identity to barely hide, so why bother. Borrow Gabby's sweet goggles if she wants sand/gas protection.
Who here buys lots of nerd poo poo? I want Gabby's Wolverine hoodie but I've never been able to find it online. Surely some nerdery I'm unfamiliar with has to have it for sale.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oh. I've actually been really enjoying Astonishing, but I'd rather take a nail through the foot than read a book starring Havok and illustrated by Land.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Heavy Metal posted:

I am a fan of the X-Men! Not reading the current titles, but I keep an eye out like a hawk for an opportunity to jump back in. Them getting rid of the young versions as I hear they may do, that might entice me.

What's the deal with aloof magical teen looking returned Jean Grey? She looks like Hope Summers, this Jean is probably younger looking than young Jean. I like Jean like I like my coffee. Old! Old as hell! I for one will not stand for Jean being an ominous magical girl! It's 2018, we have to move along, let Jean just be a relatable empathetic person. Once you are writing about a person with a personality, you go from there, see where their live goes.

This is just nitpicking conjecture based on previews and what I've gleaned though, can't weigh in on Taylor's writing. The vibe I get is not drawing me in though. It seems like it's a Buffy season 6 thing or something? Does everybody have to do this when they come back from the dead/the space place, it's not that big of a deal. Or even if it is, you've just gotta live life Jean. No don't act like you're going to fight Storm in the preview, that's boring. Do something that matters or makes sense. This is your mostly uninformed rant ramble, from somebody who had that Jim Lee lunchbox. X-MEN!

Hm, if the point to this ramble is "Jean looks too young in X-Men Red", I agree fully. I have the worst goddamn memory, and when reading the newest issue it took until she said "the things you miss when you're dead" (or whatever) before I remembered she was Original Jean and not Teen Jean.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I really liked OML's "Glob Loves, Man Kills" issue mostly because it remembered a few of the "They all graduated but then they didn't cause no other writer read that issue" X-Kids, including Shark Girl and "Mutant power: awesomeness: Rockslide" and "Mutant power: inconsistency: Anole" but I did laugh my rear end off that the "run and hide you useless shits" cadre of X-Kids included... Quentin Quire. You know, the telekinetic/telepath more powerful than half of the adult X-Men? Cause I guess the artist didn't.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I love every single part of this revelation.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Haha because of the dumb rear end Twitter Preview format, I didn't initially notice why the Madrox picture is so great.
Also I am totally down to read a book featuring the X-Team of Pixie, Rockslide (Hell yeah!), and a Guy in a Suit. Who in hell is that.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Dawgstar posted:

So no minorities, ugly people, Commie Pinkos and we're shaky on the Irish.

Did you know this line wasn't actually added to the Pledge of Allegiance until the 1950s?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm not sure Extermination really "works" for me since every death/disappearance so far I've reacted with "good, gently caress 'em". Can't wait til the O5 are out of this universe; they've outstayed their welcome by years now. And (spoilers for Extermination, obviously:) Cable killing Cable is hilarious, because as far as I'm concerned, the more convoluted his history, the better. He's the time paradox that walks like a man.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Haha poo poo, that'd be a good image for a "crying Beast" smilie... if there were ever a reason to have such a thing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
On that note is there a definitive answer as to what Magneto's real birth-name is, Erik or Max? That always struck me as weird to retcon.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't their reasoning that "Lensherr" did not sound authentic or something? And didn't they unretcon it?

Well Wikipedia still says "Max Eisenhardt" but I dunno if that is the current end-all be-all. I also forgot he has "Magnus" as an alias as well.
I just want Lensherr to be his real name because Eisenhardt is distractingly on-the-nose. If I were to make a thousand-item list of poo poo I hate in fiction, nominative determinism would be in the top 10.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Information Junkie Doug kinda works for me. But I never read much of the old stuff he was in, so to me he was just some guy that showed up during Necrosha. And I'm not afraid to say it: I hate Warlock.

I hope this X-23 story doesn't resolve with all 5 Cuckoo personalities (insofar as they have different personalities) in one body, kinda like the opposite of how they started. I do hope it resolves with Gabby eating some fuckin birthday cake.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

twistedmentat posted:

But now we know that Sophie was actually killed my Esme, or did I read the most recent x-23 issue wrong?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what the new issue implies, that her death in New X-Men was orchestrated by Esme somehow. Anyone know off the top of their head if that was actually implied in the original story or just created for this new one? I really hate the last parts of NXM (I don't think that's an unpopular opinion either).

The X-Books that feature Gabby are so much better than the ones that don't. It's blowing my mind that a child character is being written consistently well across two whole books. To be fair, I'm really falling behind in both Gold and Blue, partly because I'm not really enjoying them and partly because they're too frequent.

e: oh, and I love your avatar, twistedmentat.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Dreqqus posted:

I've been itching for some good X-Men stories what do I need to know/read to get started on Red? I tried Gold and Blue back when they started but bounced off of both pretty hard.

Read All-New Wolverine first, I'd say. If you don't like it, you probably won't like Red anyway. Same writer. Maybe I tend to overemphasize the importance of Laura and Gabby in Red, but they really are just my favorite thing in comics. I'm in the same boat as you re: Gold and Blue. I still get them but I'm way behind and Gold, especially, feels like such a slog to get through compared to Red, X-23, Weapon X, and basically all the other X-Books except Astonishing, which I stopped reading when the new team took over.

How is Astonishing, anyway? I am entirely able to read a Land Art book if the writing's good enough but the book's new cast doesn't really appeal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

BrianWilly posted:

Reading Uncanny X-Men #1 felt like reading four different books that you've already read before

It was almost a waste of a book. Almost, cause I liked the scene where Laura is called out for how unsanitary eating with her claws is, but why should she give a poo poo, the speed-healing isn't only for stab wounds and the like. And also the totally legitimate scene of Anole and Armor complaining about how after all these years (it's been... definitely over 10 years in real life, right?) that their cohort are permanent trainees. It to this day still bugs me that (I think it was) Wolverine and the X-Men had a scene of them finally graduating, which was promptly ignored by everyone and to this day they're always still shown in classroom scenes. Let them be the New New Mutants, goddamnit. I like to think that's why Laura left them when she did- something in her brain said "down this path lies permanent school".