Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

davebo posted:

It's ending? It just started. How are readers supposed to actually keep up with characters they like?
Do we yet know what's happening after Uncanny stops being weekly? I don't pay attention to the "6 months out, etc" poo poo.
I'm just hoping that Red comes back in a mostly-identical form when they relaunch the X-line for the 100th time. It's probably my favourite cast of main characters in an X-Book since the Academy X days. For real, if you gave me a book that was just the Academy X cast (the good ones, anyway. The ones who are alive and still show up occasionally.) plus Gambit and Gabby, that would probably be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rochallor posted:

I'll defend fairly large stretches of the line up through Secret Wars; there's plenty to love in the Utopia era, I think Bendis' runs on Uncanny and especially All-New were quite good, and Gillen's run is probably my favorite since Claremont. But post SW, the flagship books have just been dire. The only good flagship book since then was probably Hopeless' All-New run. Everything has just been endless rehashes of rehashes.

Messiah Complex through Second Coming is probably my favourite X-Era, maybe because it was almost the first stuff I read (I started with X-Factor Investigations, which is why I'm so salty with how Madrox has been treated lately). Gillen's run was great (even if, if I recall correctly, it was crippled by Land art), Bendis' interwoven dual-flagship books started really strong and were rear end-awful by the time they ended, and Blue/Gold have been awful since the get-go. It's been years since the "main" X-Men book/s was the good one, but there's always been at least one really good side-book in the background so I haven't minded. Sucks to lose Red but I'm confident something else good will take its place. Mr. and Mrs. X should pivot to Rogue and Gambit becoming P.I.s (they keep making P.I. books, and they keep being good, and then they ditch them!) with their plucky assistant Rockslide trying to learn the trade. You can have that one for free, Marvel. I got a million of them, but they all involve P.I.s and Rockslide.

I was excited when Brisson got picked up by Marvel 'cause his aborted book "The Violent" was pretty good, and I like how he's trying to make Glob a main character cause there needs to be more "non-passing" main characters in the X-Men. But has he written ANYTHING good for Marvel yet beyond one issue here or there?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Are there enough Jewish mutants to form an X-team? Magneto, Kitty... according to the wikia, Legion is. And Magneto's kids. Maybe. Depending on whatever version of their history is "real" today. That seems like it's it, not counting alternate-universe versions.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Aphrodite posted:

They’re not his kids anymore so they wouldn’t even be ethnically Jewish.

Jewishness only passes down through the mother, anyway. I have no idea who Lorna and Wanda/Pietro's mothers are to begin with. I just saw 'em listed under category:Jewish on the wikia I found when looking this all up. So odds are none of 'em are Jewish and never were, unless someone here with a memory can remember a panel of Polaris lighting the Menorah or something.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah I find it really fuckin' hard to get excited by any X-Men lineup written by Rosenberg. But damned if I'm not happy to see Hope being used again.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah I haven't read this issue yet (and dgaf about spoilers for lovely events) but I wouldn't at all mind a book about the O5 X-Men back in the sixty-nineties (oh, that sounds bad, but I refuse to fix it) retaining their character development, maybe with a plot device of "all our concrete knowledge of the future is blocked from us because of magic reasons", firmly establishing that they're in a branched alternate timeline where anything can happen, bonus points if the writers refuse to take the easy way out and rewrite all the Classic Stories With A Modern Twist. But oh I guess we have to consider those entirely hypothetical very easily confused new readers.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Dawgstar posted:

So they give him a nickname based on his last name that sounds like a first name and one that's also hard to figure how they got said nickname from said last name. I dunno, people seemed happy calling him Santo. You'd need to be Michael Scott to arrive at 'Vic.'

Isn't Anole's first name Victor? I just bet he hosed up and nobody caught it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Metalshark posted:

Reading New X-Men again is also a great experience, though it cemented my X-Men love when I read it years ago. Plus, I'm having fun seeing Pixie's look change so much. Her rainbow wings were a statement!

I just about cried with joy when they announced the new complete collection trade. I'd been trying to get this series (at non-insane price) for EVER. All I ever managed to track down was Childhood's End vols 1 and 4 (which will be out in a second big-rear end trade later, "complete" my rear end).

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rick posted:

Reading through Blue and Red on Unlimited . . . I respect what they are trying to do even if I'm not really LOVING the books. Although man that Mojo crossover was so decompressed, I read the whole thing in the time it takes me to read one comic and it's not like it's fast to switch through two different books on Unlimited.

Blue and Red or Blue and Gold? Cause Red's the good one, and had like half as many issues as the other two got.
It occurs to me that Blue and Gold both bored me to such a degree that I never actually finished either of them and just accepted the status quo shift when I started Extermination or Uncanny, whichever of those lovely ones. I don't even remember the difference between the two, or if the former was supposed to finish before the latter started. Was Extermination all about Cable?

When was the last time the "main" X-Book was good? I think Bendis' All New + Uncanny started out okay but there wasn't really one moment it stopped being good.
But I mean the great thing about X-Men is there's (usually) so many books that there's always at least one good one going! Just as long as they keep X-23 and Mr & Mrs X running for a while. At least until they bring back X-Dudes (featuring Honey Badger this time).

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

wielder posted:

Age of X-man is better than the new Uncanny so far.

I mean it's the millionth time they've gone to the ol' well of "The X-Men are in a strange world with strange ways but they don't yet realize this is not the way the world is supposed to be" but I'll admit I always enjoy this conceit. This one in particular is giving me echoes of the podcast "Within the Wires" which I also love.

And I actually kinda like the dichotomy of the "real" world being absolute poo poo for Cyclops and Wolverine et al while the rest are off in their bizarro paradise. Spoilers for character deaths if you're as behind as I usually am: I'm not even casting judgment on Blindfold's apparent suicide because her precog power is fuckin weird and it's implied several times she knows she's about to die or has to die for Reasons and I'd put money on her being back to life when everything gets reset back to normal. Loa being killed offscreen just underlines how most of the younger X-Men are just treated as cannon fodder unless they managed to distinguish themselves somehow. Sorry, C-listers. We needed a "moment".But again, there's an alternate reality going on elsewhere and there's no guarantee that anything happening in the "real" world is fixed.
Doesn't mean I liked the book, though. It's a slog compared to the intrigue unfolding in Age of X-Men.
Oh, and just the other day I was wondering if anyone in Marvel remembers Velocidad and Primal... Always thought the idea beyond the former was neat. The latter, nah, I'm cool if he died offscreen or something.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Android Blues posted:

Angel's been doing the whole "trying desperately to control the Archangel personality" thing for a while now,
I am so loving bored of this status quo, btw, not that anyone asked. We get it! Dark Angel Saga was a modern classic (does it still count as modern, actually? Now that I'm in my 30s I really understand the idea of sliding timescale), and Angel's pretty hard to make compelling on his own, but, like, gently caress.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
HALLE-loving-LUJAH. Blue and Gold were the most underwhelming goddamn Flagship X-Books probably ever and this Uncanny has followed that proud tradition (into the ground) but I always knew it was only gonna be a brief-rear end run. I just assumed when AoX ended and the New Status Quo started that it was going to be the same old names as before.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What's the definition of "stealth cancelled" though? Just "cancelled without putting out a press release"? That's a genuine question though, because I don't read solicitations. Is it like they solicited issue 12 without saying "final issue" in the solicitation (like I assume they would with comics which are ending).

What about the rest of the X-line? I'm almost wondering if things are pausing/ending for Hickman's Books, and then starting a new status quo. And if Gabby and Laura aren't starring in anything post-Hickman I'm going to have to start making my own truly terrible fan comics so... fuckin announce something, Marvel. Cause I can't draw for poo poo.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Just as long as they don't fuckin' split Rogue and Gambit up again, I'll be happy, whether they have a solo (duo, I guess?) title or not. The world's had enough will-they-won't-they outta those two for several lifetimes.

Just kidding, I'll never be happy again until Gabby and Laura get their own title again.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rochallor posted:

I think it might be Glob Herman. He's featured more prominently than Quentin Quire or Xorn, who are the other breakout stars of Morrison's run. Nobody past that has come close, really. I know everybody here loves Rockslide but I can't even think of the last time he appeared.

EDIT: Forgot Hope, but then so did everybody else.

Well Rockslide has been in NextGen quite prominently, though not as much as Glob, of course. And Hope was just plain gone for a long-rear end time but is in the current Uncanny, I guess. It might indeed be Glob Herman but tally up all his appearances and see which ones are outside books written by Brisson. I'm not sure he's a "breakout character" as much as he is "pet character of current writer who'll likely go back to obscurity once that writer's off any X-books".
I think it's definitely X-23. Could very easily have been a "hey remember in 2003 when they tried to make Teen Girl Wolverine happen? Comics, right?" situation, but by now that genie's not going back in the bottle. Even if they did the fabled Total Reboot people have whispered about for a decade, I'm pretty confident she'd be back within the first year.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Skwirl posted:

I think they mean in the comics, which I'm not sure about, but X-23 was a victim of sex trafficking.

Getting further off topic, but my favourite thing is in the Collected X-23 they skip that mini and there's just a page with basically "and then some bad poo poo happened to her for a while, and then, this:"

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Skwirl posted:

Tom Taylor is on my shortlist for other writers (Honey Badger solo book you cowards, you've already made covers for the first year).

Ayuh.

I'm also of the firm belief that we'll get a new Laura and Gabby book (or something like X-Men Red where they're the obvious stars) just as soon as the "x-line" comes back but I'm less optimistic it'll be the same creative team and for that I'm sad, because X-23 was doing it for me just as much as All New Wolverine, or the previous X-23 series.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I did like that the last issues of Age of X-Man and Uncanny both talked about the idea of Story. Put together they were a good microcosm of the X-line as a whole, in the sense that there's always nutso is-it-real-or-not poo poo going on (AoX) and depressing/incomprehensible bullshit going on (Uncanny) somewhere in the line at any given point.

What else to say... from AoX, Laura and Gabby will never not be the best part of any story they're in, and I love that the door was left open for this "realm" to keep existing. I'd be shocked if this is the last we see of it. And as for Uncanny, well, I mean someone had to X-write the worst fuckin' X-run in the entirety of X-history, and I'm almost pleased to have witnessed it as it happened. Almost. Feel free to ignore any and every part of that fuckin trainwreck, Jonathan.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
There was a good moment in the recent Uncanny (and it did have the occasional good moment) where Emma realizes the Sinister that's been helping her isn't the real deal, as he's melting all over her shoes.

Though I'm under the impression from Gillen's run that there is no "real" Sinister, not anymore, but I guess that's pretty easy to retcon as "sure there is, the real one was over there the whole time, up to no good!" I like that he's sort of ripped off Doom's schtick in that regard. If Doom's ever seen being less than perfect, that was obviously a Doombot, you clod, you ignorant fool.

On a similar note (as in, characters who spend some or all of their time in a liquid state) if Hickman put Mercury on that image and only uses her for like one page, I'll feel ripped off. If goddamn GLOB got to be the focus of so much poo poo these past few years, I feel like Mercury deserves some spotlight. I've always wanted to see a story about her coming to terms with just how non-human she really is, after there was a couple panels in New X-Men where she mentions she doesn't eat or drink but still comes to lunch so she still feels like part of the group, or something of that nature.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nevvy Z posted:

Rockslide is probably an Omega who is going to expand his conciousness to fill the planet and fight off some threat or what are we even doing

There needs to be a short story or backup or something versus Galactus where the climax is Rockslide doing just that, and then he transforms the planet Unicron-style into a giant version of himself and punches Galactus' head off, at which point it's revealed the whole story has just been Rockslide writing his own fanfiction.

Either way, speaking of him being possibly Omega, I've always wanted to write an X-book focusing on a team of "fundamentally unkillable" mutants, namely Rockslide, Mercury, and Laura, cause I love that "wave" of students in particular. Pretty much more than any other loosely-defined X-group, actually.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Pause. And remember where the X-line was like 6 months ago. Hahaha.
If HoX 1 was an interesting if not earth-shaking beginning and PoX 2 was the indication that this was definitely going to be cool, HoX 2 is the... hammer smashing your head open? Whatever it is, I am pumped as hell in a way I haven't been pumped about a comic in a long time.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of Deadpool being able to regrow lost limbs but Wolverine not being able to.

Though I realize it’s just arguing minutia that gets rewritten at a moments notice.

I mean... could Wolverine even lose a limb though?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

BrianWilly posted:

Can't appreciate the good without the bad etc somethin

On another note...while I'll rag on the human element of Hickman's writing, I still gotta say that his take on almost every character he's written so far has been so worthwhile. For instance, the scene with Xavier, Magneto, and Cyclops all together -- pretty much the three most prominent leaders of mutantkind -- working in tandem to get things done? That's the good poo poo I wanna be reading.

Scott's characterization really keeps getting shoved back and forth this last year or so between "rear end in a top hat" and "the guy who gets poo poo done" and I absolutely love reading about the latter. That short little scene was so fun to read.
I mean really all three of those guys can be described as acting problematic as gently caress a good chunk of the time but damned if I don't enjoy a good "wellp I guess it's time for us to save the fuckin' world again" moment.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
So... Hickman keeps saying "fauna" when he clearly means "flora" right?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
My memory's so wretched that I don't even remember what happened last issue let alone be able to pick up all but the most obvious references to poo poo. If Hickman put together a super-annotated "spell everything out like you're talking to a child" panel by panel hardcover edition of Hoxpox, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. ANYWAY...

Fabulous Sinister is my favourite thing. Can we put him in a room with Gabby, see what happens? Lord do I miss that entirely fictional girl.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I actually love the totally culty, vaguely sinister "off" vibe of the X-Men. When Apocalypse praises you, that's hosed up an order of magnitude higher than being on the same team as Magneto.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

danbanana posted:

I'm reading AoX now via Marvel Unlimited and I'm really digging it? I don't understand a lot of the negative stuff about it.

Could you perhaps be conflating "the negative stuff" with the sentiment toward the Uncanny X-Men series which was running at the same time and was and is a seriously strong candidate for Worst X-Men Run Ever? I seem to recall most people here, myself included, really liked AoX.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

davebo posted:

Do popular non-mutant bands and comedy acts tour there if Krakoa lets non-mutants have a work visa or something? I guess they can travel with their flower warps but I'd want to live near a grocery store and nice bike trails. What's the pitch other than "all-mutant neighbors"? Even as a mutant I'd rather live next to some 90 year old lady who hated mutants but kept quiet than living in between Sabretooth and Apocalypse.

AceOfFlames posted:

EDIT: I guess it would be funny to have an entire spinoff just about the mundane details about setting up your own nation. "In this week's exciting issue, Xavier has a lot of meetings about getting an undersea Internet cable hooked up to Krakoa! What top-level domain name will he pick? Stay tuned, true believers!"

I've always wanted Marvel to come up with some dumb-assed webcomic centering around the day to day lives of their characters, especially the X-Men (every time someone else does it it's great, like that one where Rogue (I think) pretends to be a cat). And now I really want to see some shorts of stand-ups performing on Krakoa and trying to do jokes relevant to the mutants there.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Billzasilver posted:

On that note, I’ve never seen Exodus in a cartoon or comic before. What’s his deal?

My unfairly irritating moment: having never seen a tv/etc adaptation of Exodus, I have no idea what he's supposed to sound like. French accent? But he's thousands of years old, isn't he? I still basically read everyone in their cartoon voices, and you're fuckin right that includes The Rocks Of The Eternal Shore himself.

One more issue. And though I have no problem with this being basically an extended prologue to a bunch of other books (especially as X-Men is at least being written by the same person!) I am expecting at least one real good "holky gently caress" moment. Xavier's face, What Really Happened To Sabretooth, Something About Moira VI... I don't care. But I will be disappointed if nothing in the next issue makes me say "god drat" out loud while I read it.

And on another note, I can't remember if this is the thread where I mentioned wanting a Stupid X-Men Webcomic with a rotating cast, but how good would a Cheers parody called Bar Sinister be.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Up until she said something Moira-specific, I assumed that was supposed to be thousand-years-older Laura but didn't understand why shaven-Tobias-Funke cared that they had the same blood type. I don't really see how Wolverine's blood is supposed to keep someone else from aging, but uh... whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
And at its very core isn't the whole "Mutants aren't humans and here's 10 strict reasons why" a product of a loophole around action figure import taxes that (likely) doesn't matter anymore? I always thought that was a fun fact.