Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Is there any decent way to watch the 1992 series these days? I was a little old for it when it aired.

https://youtu.be/wD_Xb512Avc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Moira solo book = hell yes.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

There are a lot of these that I would consider some of the best X-stories ever done. Also, Classic X-Men is a kind of thing we'll never get again, which kind of sucks.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

jng2058 posted:

Longshot was created in a tank in the Mojoverse. Not a mutant.

Spiral was originally a normal human named Ricochet Rita who was tortured into insanity and given extra arms and teleportation magic by Mojo. Not a mutant.

Shatterstar is the child of Longshot and Dazzler and partially inherited his mother's powers. Could technically be considered a mutant.

The original X-Babies were the X-men of the time de-aged and then grown back up so that Mojo could mold them and control them when they returned to adulthood. They were all mutants.

The second batch of X-Babies were genetically engineered and grown in vats the way that Longshot was. They aren't mutants.

Me, 5 minutes ago: I KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT THESE STUPID loving CHARACTERS.

Me, now: Yeah so I guess I have massive holes in my knowledge about these stupid loving characters...

I know opinions have shifted on him in the last few years, but I guess I never gave a poo poo about Shatterstar enough to ever know this about him. I think there was always some hints about his origin in the early X-Force stuff but that's about when I stopped reading regularly the first time.

Aphrodite posted:

And father of!

And maybe that's best.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Cyke gets a lot of deserved poo poo for leaving his kid to hook up with Jean, but Logan shacking up with the Summers is kinda lovely since he has kids and clones of his own he could be spending time with on Krakoa.

The gently caress did happen to Daken? He was brought back post-Remender X-Force right?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

He's also in one of the group shots of THE BAD GUYS coming to Krakoa in HoX #5.

Oh poo poo I missed that. So he is around and instead of seeing him, Logan is like "nah, I'm gonna hang around the dad of my true love's husband and also their time displaced kids and some space pirates."

Anyway, all the poo poo Daken talked before Logan drowned him was true.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/ClaremontRun/status/1184840027127386114

Claremont wanting orgies 30 years before Hickman pulled it off.

Also: look how great Silvestri and Green's work is here. Simple and scratchy, but evoking a hell of a lot of facial emotion, plus GREAT comical framing on the first panel. I decided a long time ago that Silvestri having to meet some tight deadlines resulted in his best work. And I don't think there has been a better X-artist for the comedy stuff ever. Claremont clearly felt the same way considering how many sight gags and silly issues ran in this era.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Wait. Wasn't it revealed that Hot Claws Wolverine was the Phoenix Wolverine from the future who was hanging around at the same time Regular Claws Wolverine was resurrected? There was a big reveal that two of them were around and that some of the appearances were Phoenix Wolverine.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Aphrodite posted:

Gambit precognition.

Wait. What?

Is he on Krakoa?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Also they just introduced a whole allegorical war for the Vietnam conflict that shifts in time with the story so they could make sure Frank Castle was always going to be like 35 and so that they could retcon Reed's reason for the FF mission to the US military for some stupid loving reason.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wanderer posted:

I feel like that's going to end up filed in the same basket as Byrne's Spider-Man: Chapter One in the long run, just because it's easier to do the "Frank Castle fought in the [sudden outbreak of very fake coughing] War" dodge than to bother with a whole new historical era.

The whole fake southeast Asian War thing is... problematic.

I get the desire to specify this poo poo and the sliding time seems like a good solution until you do a little racism.

The better solution is to perpetually set the years the stories take place in between 1977 and 1987 and just keep culture and tech moving forward while you reset the year every once in a while.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Just move the war to Afghanistan, someone who was 18 when we first invaded would be in their mid 30s now and we're still sending teenagers over there to die. If you need war time trauma and a sliding timescale our forever war in the middle east is loving perfect.

Ennis made a big deal that the Punisher had to be linked to Vietnam, which is why he's in his late 50s/early 60s during the MAX series. I think the Becky Cloonan run made him an Afghanistan vet.

But yeah, it seems like it shouldn't be hard to tie all your military-tied characters (Castle, Stark, Xavier) to actual wars without changing things irreparably. Creating a fake war may have worked but again, the racism.

Also: tying the FF's mission into a military operation is legit a hosed up thing to do with those characters. It really breaks the idea of them- and Reed specifically- as being explorers.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

pay no attention to all that "we have to beat the Russkies to space" stuff in FF #1, I guess

Political motivations DNE military funded project.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Billzasilver posted:

It’s completely in character for the FF. They are absolutely willing to kill. Mostly alien soldiers, but they can kill humans too. It’s why Sue Storm has her own miniseries now as a SHIELD spy. It’s why the Council of Reeds murdered galactus so many times.

I'm not arguing that the FF haven't associated with military groups or hasn't killed (though I think that's often a lovely FF story). I'm saying that tying the mission that turned them into the FF to a military one changes the motivation entirely.

Also, the whole point of the Council of Reeds was to differentiate 616 Reed from the rest of them because- and this is literally the entire theme of Hickman's run- 616 Reed places a greater emphasis on his family than the rest of them. It's in the text about 50 times where they tell 616 to let go of his family and join them. He doesn't. That's the point.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1187736067153321990

Zdarsky doing FF/X-Men book = yes, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

amigolupus posted:

This is a pretty good post. My favorite version is headmaster Logan from Wolverine and the X-Men. Something about Logan taking his role as mentor to teenage sidekicks to the logical conclusion by taking up Xavier's role as the new guide and protector of young Mutants was really interesting to me. Plus him naming the school after Jean, one of the bravest and kindest person he's ever known, was pretty touching.

This is a very underrated book in the X-Canon for these exact reasons. Also it was very loving fun.

Rick posted:

While I 100% agree with you about Actualized Logan being one of my favorite characters ever and that he already has had his character pretty much resolved as it should, I also realized that I will read and kind of enjoy almost ANY solo Wolverine story no matter how cliche.

I wouldn't say his character is resolved. I think the character drama- when done right- has just shifted from "he's an out-of-control-beast!" to "look at all the poo poo he's responsible for!" Remender's X-Force itself was just a big comment on the effects of violence on characters like Wolverine with a healthy dose of Superman nurture v. nature in it. And Logan specifically had some poo poo he had to confront in that book. I think that's the best internal drama you can give him now and I think you can mine a lot of that given how his history essentially allows you an infinite number of "oh poo poo, I did that..." stories. And I think those stories are especially good in a period where people bitch about fake cancel culture. How does someone who did really terrible things in the past actually make up for it?